Part 2

Noona

Kai grabbed his toast absentmindedly. He didn’t even look up at his mother. The lady was busy packing lunch for him.

“Mom, I don’t need any lunch.”

He spoke up with his deep voice. The boy had just turned 18. He was starting his first day in high school.

“Won’t you be hungry?”

“I can buy at school.”

“Ah, I forgot. My baby boy is all grown up now.”

Kai flashed a cheeky grin at his mother. He has always been proud of his mother because she’s beautiful. Many guys have tried to court her but his mother would just politely reject them. Kai knew why.

She was still waiting for his father.

“Mom?”

Kai hesitated.

“Yes?”

She spun around to meet her boy’s eyes. They reminded her so much of his father.

“Nothing, I forgot what I wanted to say.”

Kai has always wanted his mother to move on. But he knew that would only hurt her further. He didn’t want to hurt her. He was protective of his mother.

“I’m leaving now, Mom.”

“Kai, I’ll be late today. I have a meeting with the directors in my faculty.”

“Oh sure, I’ll just settle my own dinner before coming home.”

“Okay, I’ll call you later.”

“Sure.”

Kai gave a quick peck on his mother’s cheeks before running off to school. He grew up without his father and he wasn’t given any explanation for his disappearance. Kai has vague memories of his father as his mother has hidden all of their family photos. She didn’t want to be reminded of his father. Kai wondered if his mother hates his father.

“OOF!”

Suddenly Kai banged into someone’s back. The person fell forward.

“Oh my god, I’m sorry!”

Kai quickly bent down and helped the person up. He was horrified to find a girl glaring at him instead.

“Are you hurt?”

“You’re lucky I’m not but my skirt is ruined.”

Kai glanced down. The girl fell into a pool of water thus her skirt was wet.

“Oh.”

The girl was annoyed. Kai felt guilty.

“Can I get you something to wear?”

“Today’s my first day of school.”

“Which school did you go to?”

Kai suddenly realized they were going to the same school. He saw the same school crescent just above the girl’s blouse’s pocket.

“Oh, you’re going to SM High School?”

“Yeah, I’m in my first year.”

“Then we better hurry to school. Maybe you can get a spare skirt from the office.”

“What do you mean by “we”?”

Kai smiled widely.

“We’re going to the same school.”

*

“Thanks for your help.”

The girl appeared in front of Kai. He managed to get her a new skirt from the office. He looked up. The girl was smiling.

“Is everything alright now?”

“Yeah, thanks.”

Kai nodded his head. They were now facing each other. They suddenly became awkward.

“Um, I think I have to go now.”

“Yeah me too. Where are you heading to?”

“I have to report for school.”

“You’re going to the school hall?”

“Err, I think we have to go there, right?”

The girl chuckled softly.

“Let’s go together. But first, I’m Krystal.”

“Huh?”

“We have been talking for the past 20 minutes but didn’t really introduce ourselves.”

“Oh, that’s right. I’m Kai.”

“Okay, that’s cool. Let’s go then.”

It turned out that both of them were in the same class. Krystal was excited to know that much to Kai’s amusement. He just couldn’t believe that he got to know a pretty girl on the first day of school. He knew that his high school years would be a lot of fun.

*

“I’m home!”

Krystal announced her arrival the moment she stepped into her house. Her grandmother popped her head out from the kitchen door.

“Ah, Krystal, you’re home. How’s school?”

Krystal quickly made her way to the kitchen. Her mother was making dinner for them.

“It was good.”

“Did you make friends already?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

Krystal was reminded of Kai. She smiled to herself.

“Were there boys?”

“I went to a co-ed school. Of course there are boys.”

“Your grandfather is worried that you chose to go to a co-ed school.”

“He’s too protective.”

“He loves you a lot, Krystal.”

“I know but I’m a big girl now. I can take care of myself.”

“Who said you you’re a big girl now? You’re always a baby in my eyes.”

Krystal spun around to find her grandfather standing at the doorway. She smiled before rushing up to him. She hooked her around his and both made their way to the dining table.

“Dada, I’m already 18.”

“You’re still a minor under the law’s eyes.”

“I’ll be fine, trust me.”

“I know you will. I’m just pulling your leg. How’s the first day of school?”

“It was alright.”

“It’s time for dinner. Let’s eat first!”

Taeyeon was putting up a spread on the table. Krystal sat in between of them. She then held her two hands up together and closed her eyes. She prayed before picking up her chopsticks.

“Thanks for the food!”

Her grandparents were helping each other to gather food onto their plate. Krystal smiled as they acted lovingly in front of her. She was grateful to them for raising her up after her mom’s demise. Krystal knew a lot about her mother because her Dada talked often about Tiffany. But he never mentioned about her father. She did ask once but that made her grandfather furious after that. She never asked anymore. That was the last time.

Her father must have caused a lot of heartache to her grandparents. She didn’t want to hurt them so she just kept quiet.

“Krystal? Why aren’t you eating?”

Taeyeon was already putting some grilled beef on her plate.

“Nah, I was just daydreaming.”

She went back to her food.

*

“Mom!”

Kai was waiting for his mother at the cafeteria. He left a message for her to meet him there. Jessica was rushing up to him. She was worried.

“Kai, what happened? Why did you need to see me? Are you out of money? I’m sorry, I forgot to bank in this morning.”

“Mom, I’m fine. Nothing happened and no, I still have money in the bank. It’s already 8 plus now and I’m sure you haven’t eaten yet.”

“How did you know?”

“I know my mom really well, you know?”

Jessica smiled widely as she ruffled her son’s hair. He was all that she got after Yoong left. She still couldn’t understand why he left but she decided not to question anymore. Kai has been her pillar of strength and she wouldn’t want to lose Kai as well.

“You’re such a sweet talker. So what are you doing here?”

“Here, I got you this.”

Kai gave his mother a bundle. He had packed some dinner for her.

“What’s this?”

“I cooked.”

“You cook?!”

“Mom, what’s with that expression?”

“When did you learn to cook?”

“Well, every time you work late, I’ll cook for myself. I downloaded recipes from the internet and tried them out myself.”

Jessica was in disbelief. Her son loves to cook.

“Mom, what’s with that look?”

“Nothing, I’m just surprised.”

“Quick, have a taste and tell me if I have passed!”

The young guy was eager. He helped his mother unpack and placed the food neatly in front of his mother. His mother was gawking away.

“You made all these?”

“Yeah! Have a taste!”

Seeing her eager son wanting Jessica to taste his cooking, Jessica took one bite and she was taken in. It was really good.

“Kai Kwon Jong In! What are you?!”

“It’s that good, huh?”

“It’s really good!”

“Aren’t you proud of me?”

“I’m really proud of you!”

Mother and son had the best dinner together. It was really tasty and Jessica was smiling widely. Kai was delighted.

“Mom, you haven’t been smiling like that for the longest time.”

Jessica looked up.

“You haven’t been smiling so widely since Dad’s disappearance.”

“You remember my smile?”

“Of course I do. You smile all the time when I play with you. But you haven’t been smiling so happily like today.”

“I’m sorry, Kai. I didn’t know that you’re affected.”

Kai shook his head.

“You’re my mother and the only kin I have. I have to protect my mom. I’ll never leave you, Mom. I’ll never leave you like how Dad did.”

Jessica just pulled her son closer and hugged him tightly. Kai wrapped his arms around his mother.

“I love you so much, Mom.”

“I love you too, Kai. I love you so very much.”

*

Soo Young was looking all suave and handsome with his suit and tie. But he hates to wear them. It was too stuffy for him. However he didn’t have much choice. He’s the CEO of his father’s firm now.

“Mr Choi, the board of directors are waiting.”

“I’ll be right out.”

Soo Young adjusted his tie neatly before taking a deep breath. He turned to his assistant.

“Who’s the client today?”

“One of the local universities is interested to work with us.”

“Oh? A joint-work with the university?”

“It was your father’s idea initially. But the chairman of the university finally agreed now.”

“Alright, let’s go then.”

Soo Young’s company is dealing with aiding products such as hearing aids, wheelchairs and many others that give assistance to the handicapped. They are constantly seeking for new innovation and creations for new designs to further enhance and improve the existing products.

It had always been Soo Young’s dream to work in such line. He was once a volunteer in Africa but ever since he graduated from university, his father’s health was ailing. He returned to Korea to take over his place.

He made his way to the meeting room. Everyone was waiting for him including a group of lecturers and board of directors from the university and his company. Choi Soo Young’s tall and young. In fact, he’s now an eligible bachelor as per acknowledged from the local men’s magazine. A lot of ladies out there know he’s one of the hottest young CEO in Korea. But that didn’t affect him.

“Good morning, Mr Choi.”

One of them greeted him. He bowed slightly before taking his seat on the CEO’s chair. He ed his coat and sat comfortably. He took a quick glance and was surprised to find a familiar face among the crowd. Well, it was easy to locate her because she’s one of the two ladies present during the meeting.

“Mr Choi, I’m Professor Hun. And this is my lecturer, Miss Jessica Jung. She majors in Business Administration and Accountancy but she has been helping me with this project for a long time. The other lecturers are my legal advisers.”

Soo Young kept his focus on Jessica. He wondered if Jessica Jung could still remember him. He nodded to acknowledge the Professor’s greeting and gave signal to his assistant to begin the meeting. It was a long one and Soo Young hates to precede such meetings. But he didn’t have much choice however today it was slightly different.

Jessica Jung was on board with him. He finally realized Jessica recognized him when she managed a soft smile as soon as their eyes met. Soo Young smiled as well. The whole meeting went well and Soo Young was amazed at Jessica’s presentation. She was in charge of the cost management and she was simply efficient. The presentation officially ended when Jessica said her closing speech. Most of the board of directors were impressed with Jessica Jung. Soo Young was too.

“The proposal looks decent. It shows how much Miss Jung took cost into consideration. I will look into it further but don’t worry; we will eventually work hand in hand for this project. It has been a great pleasure to have a few undergraduates to be working with us interns as their final year project. If this is a success, we should do this as an annual project.”

Soo Young said his piece. He then turned to Jessica and smiled widely. Meeting was finally over. Professor Hun was talking to Soo Young but the man was keeping his eyes on Jessica. He shook the Professor’s hands before handing him over to his assistance. He made his way to Jessica instead.

“Jessica Jung?”

The lady turned.

“Yes, Mr Choi?”

“Do you remember me?”

Jessica smiled. She nodded.

“Yes I do.”

“Jessica, how have you been?”

“I’ve been fine. Wow, it has been more than 10 years, right?”

He nodded his head.

“Do you have time for coffee? I would love to sit around and hang out with you.”

“Oh, that will be great. It’s almost lunch time anyway.”

“Great! Meet me at the lobby.”

*

Soo Young and Jessica decided to have Japanese for lunch. They settled down quickly. They took their orders and Soo Young started the conversation soon.

“You still look good.”

Soo Young spoke as soon as he took a sip of his coffee.

“You too. You didn’t change at all.”

“Haha, I’m still getting used to wear suit and tie. They are still a bother to me.”

“Why? You look so good in them.”

“That’s the problem. I hate them.”

Jessica chuckled softly.

“How long have you been wearing them?”

“9 years and 2 months to be exact.”

“And you’re still not used to it?”

Soo Young shook his head as he pouted his lips slightly.

“You’re still as funny as ever, Soo Young.”

*

“You didn’t say you have company!”

“She’s Jessica. My father asked me to bring her along!”

“You could have given me a head’s up!”

“Choi Soo Young, what’s wrong with you? You’re usually smooth in front of ladies.”

“Shut up! I’ll kill you later!”

Soo Young was arguing with Yoong in his kitchen. He invited Yoong to watch a football game with him and has prepared plenty of food that high in carbohydrates. But instead, Yoong brought his father’s girlfriend. He was greeting them with his spandex shorts and shirtless. Jessica saw him half- which made Soo Young panicking like crazy.

“Will you calm down? Jessica didn’t say anything.”

“She was hiding her laughter. She chuckled!”

“Well, seriously speaking; you have a nice body compared to mine. So I should be panicking not you!”

“That’s not the point!”

“Then what is?!”

Soo Young couldn’t tell Yoong that his heart felt something the moment he laid eyes on Jessica for the very first time. Yoong introduced her to him 3 months ago but his heart was completely crushed when Yoong told him that Jessica belongs to his father.

“Shut up and let’s go. She’s waiting alone! It’s not nice to make a girl wait!”

“Say a panicking giraffe who scrambled to wear his shirt but with the inside out.”

Soo Young looked down and realized he was wearing it the wrong way. He quickly changed.

“It’s your fault!”

“Fine.”

Yoong left him in the kitchen and joined Jessica in the living room. She was busy biting into her banana. Soo Young has this huge crush on her. But he knew he could never get her. He nervously sat beside Jessica as Yoong sat on another individual sofa.

“We’re sorry. We took so long.”

“It’s alright. Soo Young, you look good by the way.”

“Huh?”

“I didn’t know you have a nice body.”

His cheeks were rosy. Yoong knew he was blushing. But he didn’t have any slightest idea that his best friend might be in love with his father’s girlfriend.

“Thanks, Jessica.”

“Welcome!”

Jessica flashed her sweetest smile and Mr Cupid cruelly shot another arrow right into Soo Young’s heart. He knew he was in trouble – he’s in love with the wrong woman.

*

“Soo Young?”

“Huh?”

“You were spacing out. Are you alright?”

Jessica leaned closer and touched his hand. He glanced down at her hand and then smiled widely. He slowly looked up; the lady is still a beauty to him.

“I was just thinking of the past.”

“Oh.”

Jessica’s expression changed. She was giving him a smile but it was the saddest smile Soo Young has ever seen on her.

“What’s wrong?”

“Huh?”

“You don’t look good out of sudden.”

“Nothing, I’m alright.”

“No, you’re not. The Jessica I knew has the sweetest smile on Earth.”

Jessica was taken aback but Soo Young didn’t realize what he just said. He was just concerned that Jessica was upset.

“Is everything alright? Is Yoong okay?”

Jessica hesitated to answer. She just looked at him.

“Jessica, are you okay?”

“Yoong has been missing, Soo Young.”

Soo Young was stunned.

*

Soo Young was on his bed when he recalled his encounter with Jessica. Yoong left Jessica and their son quietly after he told him about Tiffany’s demise. Soo Young wondered if he had made a mistake for informing Yoong. He didn’t think Yoong would run off.

But Jessica didn’t know the truth about Tiffany. Soo Young didn’t mention to her about his short encounter with Yoong 18 years ago. Yoong was being irresponsible again. First was with Tiffany and now Jessica.

Soo Young managed to get Jessica’s contact number. They might be in their 30s but Jessica still looks good. She still looks like the first time when Soo Young laid his eyes on her. He scrolled his phone book and stopped at her name. He contemplated if he should call. Then suddenly his phone rang. He smiled widely and answered immediately.

“Krystal Kwon.”

“Uncle Young!”

“Why are you still up at this hour?”

“I’m just ensuring that you won’t forget my birthday this weekend.”

“Oh come on, how can I forget? I’ll be there.”

“Did you get me a big gift?”

“You’re no longer a child!”

“Hmpf.”

Soo Young chuckled softly.

“I get it. I know what you want. Rest assured, I have already got it.”

“YAY!”

Krystal was squealing in delight. Soo Young treats her like his own daughter. That was the only thing he could for his best friend and of course, Krystal’s late mother, Tiffany.

“I’ll see you then.”

“Okay! I’m so excited now!”

Soo Young smiled to himself. He hung up after saying goodnight to Krystal. Soo Young kept a close contact with the older Kwon. He was about to put the phone away when he saw an unread message in his mail box. It was from Jessica.

Soo Young, it was really great to meet you. I miss our old times. Hope we can meet up often.

That was the same bloody thought that Soo Young had. He didn’t want to let Jessica disappear from his side anymore.

*

Kai was kicking his football around while waiting for the bus. He sat at the corner of the bus stop; far from everybody else. The moody young man hates crowds. But his privacy was invaded by a girl who was already smiling at him. His mood changed quickly as he flashed a grin at her.

“Hey!”

“Hey to you back.”

“You’re waiting for the bus?”

“Yeah, wait. Aren’t you supposed to be with your chauffer now?”

“Well he’s waiting for me because I need to talk to you now.”

“Me? What’s wrong?”

The girl stood closer to him and gave him a card. It was an invitation card.

“You’re getting married?”

“What? No! I’m still young!”

“And this invitation is for whom?”

“It’s for my birthday party!”

“What are you? 7?”

The girl was already frowning away as Kai realized he might be taking his joke too far. But to his relief, the girl retaliated with a smack on his arm instead.

“Can you come?”

“Why me?”

“Well, you’re the first friend I’ve made ever since I went to this school. I’m giving you the first privilege.”

“Ah, that’s a true honour.”

“Shut up. Will you be coming?”

“Sure, why not! I’ll be there!”

“Okay, see you around, Kai!”

“Bye, Krystal!”

And the two teenagers went on their own separate ways.

*

Kai was restless. He was in deep thoughts too. Jessica was watching him ever since he got home from school. Something or somebody was bothering her prince.

“What’s wrong, baby?”

Kai cringed. He frowned at his mother.

“Don’t call me that. It sounds weird.”

“What is? Ya, you’re always going to be my baby boy whether you like it or no!”

“Even when I’m 50?”

“Yeah, you’re forever a baby boy in my eyes.”

“Mom, now you’re getting too mushy.”

“Deal with it, young man.”

“Fine.”

Jessica giggled softly. Her son was too cute. But he still looked a little way off. He was thinking too deeply. Jessica was intrigued. She had to ask.

“What’s wrong? You seem unsettled.”

He bit his lower lip and turned to his mother. He wasn’t too sure if he should ask her but he knew he had to and she would need to know that he would be going for Krystal’s birthday party. The problem is, he couldn’t go empty handed.

“Mom, what’s the ideal birthday gift for a guy to give to a friend?”

Jessica narrowed her eyes at him.

“What kind of friend?”

“Uh, a school mate?”

“Which gender?”

“Does it matter?”

“Well, you cannot give a football to a girl, right?”

“You can if she plays football.”

“Ah, so does your friend play football?”

“No, I doubt so. She looks too dainty.”

She?!

Kai knew that look.

“Mom, she’s just a friend.”

“You’re just in school for barely a month and she’s inviting you to her birthday party?”

“Well, I did something that I shouldn’t on the first day of school.”

“Kai Kwon Jong In!”

“Wait, wait. I haven’t finished yet!”

“Out with it.”

“I tripped her and her skirt got wet.”

Jessica was still suspicious.

“It’s the truth!”

“So is she pretty?”

“What?”

“I’m referring to the girl. Is she pretty?”

Kai smiled to himself.

“Ah, so she’s pretty.”

“She reminds me of you.”

“Oh?”

“Never mind. You haven’t told me what I should get for her!”

“That’s tricky though.”

“Mom!”

“Fine, I’ll help you out. Grab your shoes.”

“Where are we going?”

“Shopping of course! You’re getting her a fine gift.”

“Oh cool!”

“And in the meantime, you will have to fill in more about her.”

Kai was groaning away.

“Do I have to?!”

Jessica was grabbing her car keys and coat. Her handbag was already on her shoulders. She turned to her grumpy child.

“Oh yes you have to. If my son is going to have a girlfriend, I need to know first.”

“Mom, she’s not my girlfriend!”

The mother and son were arguing all the way to the shopping mall.

*

Soo Young was waiting for someone at the airport.  He smiled brightly when he saw a young man walking towards him with a huge smile plastered on his face as well.

“Uncle Young!”

The young man was rushing up to him; pushing his luggage trolley towards him. He quickly hugged the younger guy before giving him a playful punch on his arm.

“Wow, you’re so much taller now.”

“I’ll be as tall as you, Uncle Young!”

“I’ll be waiting then.”

Soo Young put his arm around the younger guy’s shoulder and made their way to his car. They talked animatedly and the younger guy seemed excited to be here.

“How’s your mother?”

“She’s doing fine. Oh, she wanted me to ask you.”

“Not again!”

“Yeah, she said you should be getting married soon.”

“But nobody wants me!”

The younger guy was grinning away.

“Are you still waiting for that person?”

Soo Young narrowed his eyes at him.

“Choi Minho, are you going to be like your mother?”

“Well, she sent me as her representative.”

Soo Young smacked him on his back before getting into the car. Minho is Soo Young’s nephew. He has watched him grown up from a little baby to a teenager right now. He’s older than Krystal but his mother has been living in New York since he was a baby.

“So did you bring it?”

“The gift? Yeah, I did. Is it for someone special?”

“Yeah, it is for someone special.”

Minho spun immediately to meet his uncle’s eyes. Soo Young was driving.

“But that kind of stuff only suits teenage girls!”

“Why? I cannot date a teenage girl?”

Minho’s eyes widen.

“You’re a e?!”

Soo Young smacked his arm.

“Ow!”

“Is your Uncle that kind of person?!”

“Well, people can change.”

“Choi Minho, it’s for my god-daughter.”

“Oooo.”

“And you’re coming to the birthday party with me.”

“Oh my god, you’re going to drag me to a little girl’s birthday party?!”

“No she’s not a little girl. She’s turning 18. She’s just a year younger than her.”

Minho suddenly got interested and terrorized Soo Young further. Soo Young missed his nephew a lot. He has not seen him for almost 10 years. The uncle and nephew continued to terrorize each other on the way to Soo Young’s place.

*

Krystal was in awfully good mood. Her birthday was coming and her grandparents made a big fuss over it. The usual affair was always to spend it with the family and some close family friends. But Krystal was allowed to invite a friend from school and she chose Kai. He was the first friend she got to know in school. It was not the conventional kind of meeting but it started out as a rough day but soon Krystal learnt more about Kai.

The two were inseparable in school. Many assumed that they were dating. Krystal thought it was too soon to be dating and Kai shared the same sentiment. That what made Krystal more intrigued with Kai.

“Krystal!”

She looked up to find Kai waving at her. He was already at the school gate. Krystal quickened her steps but only to be blocked by two guys – Chanyeol and Kris. The two twins were towering over them. Krystal frowned.

“What do you want?”

“We would love to walk you to school.”

“I don’t need the two of you to walk me to school. I can walk by myself.”

“Oh come on, don’t be a wet blanket!”

Chanyeol grabbed Krystal’s hand but soon found himself being pushed forward. He fell to the floor; Kris quickly went after him. He picked up his younger brother promptly and came face to face with the moody kid of the school – Kai Kwon.

He was already protecting Krystal by squaring himself up in front of her. He stood sideways as his left hand protectively covered Krystal from the twins’ views.

“Leave her alone.”

“Who the hell are you?!”

“You wouldn’t want to create trouble in school. She’s a girl. Where are your manners?”

Kai glared at the twins; Chanyeol buckled but Kris maintained his serious face. For some reason, the older hyung felt challenged by Kai’s presence. Soon, the other students crowded around them. They were whispering and pointing fingers at the twins as the troublemakers. Chanyeol wanted to run but Kris wouldn’t let him. He clenched his fists tightly.

“Kai, let’s go.”

Krystal saw the movement and was terrified that Kai might get hurt. She pulled the boy away gently but Kai remained unperturbed. His eyes were still on Kris.

“Hyung, let’s go!”

Chanyeol was urging his brother to move and eventually Krystal managed to pull Kai and herself away safely. Kris just looked on with vengeance in his eyes.

“I’m not going to let that guy go. He’s not going to live long.”

Kris spat out before pulling Chanyeol with him. Krystal took a quick peek before hiding herself behind the pillar. She was terrified and was trembling so badly. Kai saw her shaking hands.

“Don’t be scared. I’m here.”

Kai took her hands and gripped them tightly. He then gently caressed Krystal’s palms to keep them warm. Krystal looked on as her heart felt something. Kai was oblivious with the flushing red cheeks; taking a peek at him whenever he was not looking.

She quickly looked away when he finally looked up.

“Are you feeling better now?”

Krystal nodded.

“Good. Stick with me. I’m sure those guys will come back for more trouble.”

“Huh?”

“Come on, let’s go. Just hold my hand. I’ll protect you.”

Krystal’s heart was warming up so quickly that her ears turned so red. Kai Kwon was the kind of guy Krystal wanted in her ideal type.

She was falling in love.

*

“What did I say about taking my car out?!”

Soo Young was screaming into the phone. Minho took his car out for a joy ride and he got lost. He didn’t know how to use the GPS. It was speaking in Korean and his Korean to the core.

“If you’re bored, you could have taken the subway or the bus or something. Where the hell are you now?”

He wasn’t furious but he was worried. He was concerned. Seoul is quite big. How was he ever going to find this kid.

“Okie, take a photo of that street name and send it to me. I’ll find you. And stay there!”

Soo Young hung up and quickly grabbed his wallet. He informed his assistant that he was leaving early and tried to get a cab. But it was the peak hour. Many taxis were not entering the business district areas. Soo Young was getting furious.

He took out his phone and was about to call for a cab when a black sedan stopped in front of him. Soo Young bent a little. Jessica was calling out for him. He quickly smiled and got into her car. Jessica drove off quickly; not wanting to get a ticket for obstructing traffic.

“You look panicking.”

“Yeah, it’s just so difficult to get a cab at this hour.”

“Of course, it is the peak hour. Are you rushing somewhere?”

Soo Young nodded. He took out his phone and showed the picture Minho sent earlier on.

“My silly nephew from US took my car out and lost his way. He doesn’t really know the roads that well.”

“That looks like the outskirt of Seoul.”

“Exactly! He’s going to be the death of me!”

“Relax, I think he’ll be fine. Here, let me speed up.”

“Huh? Are you going to drive me there?”

“Then what do you think you were doing; sitting in my car?”

“I thought you’re just going to drive me out of the business district area to a less crowded area so that I could get a cab.”

Jessica chuckled.

“Don’t be silly. I’ll help you find your nephew.”

Soo Young was already smiling so widely.

*

Soo Young was on cloud nine. He managed to ask Jessica out for a date. Well, to Jessica it was nothing more than a lunch date but Soo Young was already thankful that she actually agreed. He thanked Minho for the opportunity. The boy was baffled.

“You were yelling nuts at me on the phone and then when you came with the lady, you were all so peaceful, calm and gentle. You didn’t even yell at me!”

“Shut up. Count yourself lucky that she was there.”

“Ah! I got it!”

“What?”

“She’s the one you’re been waiting for, right?”

“Shut up!”

“I’m going to tell Mom!”

“YA!”

Minho ran up to his room. Soo Young was too old to run after him. He was running late for his date with Jessica. He would deal with Minho later.

“MINHO, I’M LEAVING NOW!”

“OH OKAY!”

“AND I’M TAKING THE CAR KEYS WITH ME!”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

Soo Young quickly left his house; got into his car and drove off quickly. Minho couldn’t go anywhere now. He could only stay at home and his thumb. He some music in the background before turning into the small lane. Jessica gave him her address. His heart was pumping rapidly.

“Oh my god! This is worse than the feeling of taking the college examinations!”

He mumbled to himself. He looked at his reflection on the mirror. He was satisfied with himself. He didn’t dress to overkill this time. He went with his favourite khaki pants and long sleeves shirt. He was nervous as he wiped his sweaty palms off his towel.

“This is it.”

Soo Young made his way up to Jessica’s place. He was giving himself the last grooming before his finger weakly pressed on the doorbell. He didn’t wait long. The door was swung open almost immediately and out came a broody teenager with dark eyes staring at him. Soo Young swallowed hard.

“Can I help you?”

“I’m looking for Jessica Jung.”

He raised his left eyebrow and eyed Soo Young from head to toe. The older guy felt intimidated but he kept his cool.

“Mom, you have a visitor!”

Mom?

Then it finally hit Soo Young.

That is Yoong’s son!

*

“That is Kai.”

Soo Young nodded. Jessica introduced Soo Young to him briefly before Jessica left with Soo Young in his car. There were too many things running through his mind right now. He had almost forgotten about Jessica and Yoong’s baby. Of course, he must have grown a lot. The last time he remembered from Yoong was he had a son with Jessica.

“He looks a lot like Yoong.”

Jessica’s voice was almost inaudible but the depth of her pain could easily be felt. Soo Young glanced to his left. Jessica was smiling through her tears. But he couldn’t say anything much. He could offer his ears to listen.

“I don’t know why he left us but I strongly feel that he has a valid reason for what he did.”

“Why did you say that?”

“Yoong was in a mess after you told him that Tiffany was pregnant with his child. He was breaking down into pieces faster than anything you could imagine and he was utterly devastated. That’s when I knew it right then I’ve lost him. He loves Tiffany but he just couldn’t figure out just as yet. But I could feel it. His heart was no longer mine after that.”

Soo Young could see tears b in her eyes. His heart ached. He wasn’t too sure if Jessica was aware of Tiffany’s demise.

“He was looking for Tiffany high and low; he searched everywhere but he just couldn’t find her. He was losing his mind; losing his heart every single day. It wasn’t easy for me but I knew I couldn’t say anything much to him anymore.”

“But you had Kai.”

“He dotes on Kai. He loves Kai unconditionally but I know he’s very much concerned with the other child of his. I know he’s really curious about the baby.”

“Did he say anything before he left?”

“He left me a letter with lots of cash in it. He even gave him our cheque and bank book. He said use it for Kai’s studies. I don’t think he took much money with him.”

“Have you been searching for him?”

“I went crazy when I realize he was gone. I left Kai behind and went around looking for him frantically. But something hit me when I saw Kai crying so badly on the bed with nobody at home. I knew I just couldn’t be an irresponsible mother. His father has left him. I was all he got back then and until now, Kai has become my pillar of strength. He’s the reason why I’m still living today.”

Soo Young listened carefully. Yoong didn’t leave her abruptly. Something must have triggered in him. It must have been that visit to Tiffany’s grave that caused him to make such rash decision. He was feeling guilty. This might have something got to do with him.

“Soo Young?”

“Huh?”

“You look distant. Are you alright? Or you don’t like hearing anymore?”

“No, it’s not that!”

“I know you hate Yoong.”

“No, I don’t. I admit I was furious with him but I don’t hate him. He has been my best friend for such a long time.”

Jessica smiled widely. She was grateful for Soo Young’s confession.

“I know Yoong misses his parents the most. I felt like an evil witch breaking his family apart. I know Yul oppa would never forgive me but I did pray for something to happen one day.”

“What is it?”

“I wanted Yul oppa and Taeyeon unnie to forgive Yoong. After all, he’s their son; their own flesh and blood.”

That made sense. Soo Young realized that Jessica has been living with such burden; such guilt in her heart that could never easily erase.  He subconsciously wrapped his arms around Jessica as he pulled her closer. She cried on his shoulder; and each time he heard that soft sobbing in his ears; Soo Young felt worse than ever.

“Cry your heart out, Jessica. I’m here.”

And the tap just kept running. It didn’t stop for a long time.

*

Kai was all handsome today. It was Krystal’s birthday. His mother was smiling widely as her son nervously ran his fingers through his hair.

“How do I look?”

“Awesome.”

“Mom, I know I’m your son but I do expect truthful answers.”

“Hey, you’re my son. I’m gorgeous so you’re awesome.”

Kai rolled his eyes but his heart felt at ease. His mother seemed happier today. But he was curious about the man who took his mother out yesterday. Ever since then, she always has this smile on her face.

“Mom, you’re too happy.”

“Why can’t I be happy?”

“Why are you so happy anyway?”

“My son’s getting a girlfriend!”

Kai’s nervousness was clearly plastered on his face. He was denying it again.

“She’s not my girlfriend!”

“She’s a friend and she’s a girl, right?”

“Yeah!”

“So she’s your girlfriend.”

Kai was confused. Was his mother trying to trap him into agreeing to it?

“Why are you so terrified?”

“I’m not!”

“You’re so cute when I tease you.”

“Mom, if people don’t know, they might think I’m your baby boyfriend.”

“What?”

“The way you tease me!”

“I’m teaching you some quick flirting methods. You can unleash them on your “girlfriend”!”

Kai was appalled. His mother was crazy. And he didn’t get to ask about that mysterious man yesterday.

*

Krystal was waiting for someone nervously at the door. Her grandmother was watching her from just now. She just couldn’t help but putting a smile on her face. Yul joined her shortly.

“Where’s Krystal?”

“She’s waiting for someone by the door.”

“Who is she waiting for? She has never been this nervous.”

Yul was frowning away. Taeyeon massaged his back gently.

“She’s old enough to know what’s good for her.”

“She’s too young to have a boyfriend!”

“Maybe they are just classmates. You promise you won’t go ballistic with her friends.”

“Fine, I’ll help you in the kitchen.”

Taeyeon chuckled as she held her husband’s hand tightly. They remarried after Yul managed to move Taeyeon and convinced her heart that he would be a better man once more just for her. She didn’t hesitate at all. She loves Yul. It was only Yul who was having a difficulty to believe that he could be the man for her.

Taeyeon was always soft and gentle when it comes to her man. Yul somehow felt encouraged by his granddaughter to ask his ex wife to marry him all over again. The door bell rang and Yul could see how fast Krystal rushed to the door. Then he heard familiar voices.

“Happy Birthday, Krystal!”

“Daddy!”

“Daddy?”

“Minho, this is my god daughter. Krystal, this is my nephew, Minho.”

Yul poked his head out to find Soo Young with a young man by his side. Krystal was acknowledging the boy’s presence and Soo Young saw him.

“Uncle Yul!”

“Hey, Soo Young, you’re here.”

“Mama~ Daddy bought me the gift I wanted!!”

Krystal ran towards the kitchen and showed her grandmother. Minho was still staring at Krystal’s direction. Soo Young smacked his forehead.

“Ow!”

“Stop staring at my god daughter like that!”

“She’s beautiful.”

“I know. Let’s grab some food. You were grumbling and complaining hungry in the car.”

“You didn’t tell me she’s this beautiful!”

“I didn’t tell you many things so why ask now?”

“I told Mom about Jessi..”

Soo Young covered Minho’s mouth. He pulled him to the side and eyed him. Minho was taken aback.

“Never mention that name in this household.”

“Mppffff”

“I’ll let go if you promise not to say that name.”

Minho nodded eagerly and Soo Young let him go.

“Geez, Uncle Young. You could have suffocated me to death.”

“Just don’t mention that name here. It’s a taboo.”

“Why do I have this feeling that you’re involved with a complicated woman?”

“Well, blame it on my heart. It refuses to let go when I set my eyes on her again.”

“I don’t understand adults. They love to make things difficult.”

Minho threw his hands up in the air in defeat. He grabbed a glass of orange juice and a plate with mountain of food. The uncle and nephew were playfully punching each other in the arm when Krystal shouted someone’s name.

“KAI!!”

Soo Young turned around to find a familiar boy standing at the doorway. He was stunned. Stood at the door way was Jessica’s son, Kai Kwon.

“You came!”

“Of course I am! I promised you, didn’t I? Anyway,  happy birthday, Krystal!”

Krystal was clearly excited about Kai’s arrival. She threw herself at him. She kissed him on his cheeks.

Kai’s face reddened and Soo Young’s heart stopped

The two half siblings have met.

*

To be continued......