Math Problems

More Than Just the New Boy
Edited?

[x] No \ [] Yes

 

                The birds chirped happily outside and the shouts of children running off to school, their parents trailing behind them and telling them to slow down, could be heard outside my bedroom window. The sheets were tangled and pillows had been thrown around sometime during the night – I had a terrible time falling asleep and right now, to say I was tired would be a direct understatement. The only reason I was more than reluctant to rise from the dead was because I knew I would be seeing him first period, and just the thought of his chirpy face first thing in the morning made my half eaten dinner from the night before churn awkwardly in my stomach.


                “Penelope Nam,” my mother shouted from the bottom of the staircase, “You get up this instant or I’m personally coming up there to pull you out of bed and drag you down these steps!”

                I sighed heavily and pushed my body up off the mattress and fell to the floor in a heap of blankets, a loud thump sounding throughout my annoyingly bright room. I groaned and rolled onto my back, staring up at the plain white ceiling, taking a breath before I got up to get ready for school.
 
~*~*~
 
                The hallways were surprisingly silent this morning, but that might just be because I purposefully arrived ‘fashionably late’ to school. I entered class just as the last bell went off and took my usual seat by the window. As I sat, Kris looked over at me and gave me a questioning look before looking back to the front of the class when the teacher cleared his throat. Something in the pit of my stomach told me that I wasn’t going to be happy with what he was going to announce, and it certainly wasn’t my breakfast talking.
 
                “Alright class,” the old man announced from his place at the front of the class, “I have assigned seating for you for the remainder of the class.”

                Everyone let out a groan and I slammed my head onto my desk. I hate this teacher now. Mr. Hong had everyone stand around the perimeter of the classroom while he called out names. After a couple minutes, it was only Kris, some girl I’ve never really spoken to, Xiumin, and me. I had my fingers crossed that I would be blessed with either Kris or the girl, and when my name was called, I glanced at Kris who sent me a hopeful smile. Right after my name however, Xiumin was called to sit at the conjoining desk with mine.

                I looked up to the heavens and sent whoever may be up there a vengeful and sorrowful look before almost slamming my textbook and backpack on top of the desk. Xiumin smiled down at me when he took his seat and leaned his head on his hand, elbow propped up on the desk.

                “Hey there Penpen,” he greeted way too cheerfully for only 9: 17 in the morning. I held back a groan and gave a small smile back.

                “Please don’t call me that, okay?” I said as I took out my math notebook, “I have an actual name you can call me by.” Although I would prefer it if you never spoke to me, looked at me, or gave me that adorable smile ever again. He smirked then and tapped his wooden pencil on my desk.

                “But Penpen is such an adorable name,” he reasoned, making me roll my eyes, “plus it matches such a cute face!”

                I scoffed and looked away, hiding the light pink blush that scattered onto my cheeks. I spotted Kris behind me who held a similar smirk to Xiumin’s but his eyes weren’t as playful, instead, Kris’ eyes held some type of sadness. I gave him a weird look but he shook his head instead and leaned back in his chair. I narrowed my eyes but turned back around only to be met with Xiumin’s smirk and twinkling brown eyes again.

                I hate this class so much now.

                There was about twenty minutes left of class and so far Xiumin has left me alone… sort of. All class his leg would brush up against mine no matter how far I would move it away, and his arm would ‘accidently’ bump into mine and he would look over and smile at me in apology. I was getting to the point of being mad, but I just held it in, letting Mr. Hong’s boring lesson distract me from the boy beside me. At this point in the class though, we were given a worksheet and questions from the textbook to complete before the end of class.
 
                “Hey, Penpen,” Xiumin leaned over and whispered to me when the teacher had gone back to his desk after handing out the sheets, “I don’t know how to do this.” I glanced over at him to see the cutest puppy dog face I had ever seen and I sighed, knowing immediately that I would give in.

                “Fine,” I said as I pushed my chair closer to his, and, regrettably and much to my dismay I began explaining that complex formulas to him. The thing that I hated most about helping him wasn’t the fact that I couldn’t get this work done early so I wouldn’t have to take the heavy textbook home with me, it was the fact that our arms were pressed together and our faces close to each other’s. It wasn’t exactly uncomfortable, it just left a foreign feeling of warmth in the pit of my stomach and I didn’t exactly like it. Every time he got a question right, his face would split with the widest and brightest smile I had ever seen; even wider than Kyungsoo’s, and I couldn’t help but spread a smile of my own.

                When half the worksheet was complete however, Xiumin leaned back in his seat, “So Penpen,” he sighed, a content smile on his face as if he had just finished a big meal, “Got anyone you like?”

                I glared over at him, loathing instantly how casual he sounded, as if asking a question about the weather outside. “That’s none of your business.” I simply stated and pushed my chair back to its original position – far away from his.

                “Aw, don’t be like that,” he said, grabbing my chair and pulling it back beside his. “It was just a simple question,” he shrugged his broad shoulders, “Just a simple yes or no.”

                “It. Is. None. Of. Your. Business.” I said through my clenched teeth. I don’t know why I was getting so angry because of this, but maybe it’s because I would have looked at him and hesitated with my answer. He may catch on to the warm feeling I get from being close to him, the way his smile makes my heart flutter.


                “Excuse me, Ms. Nam, Mr. Kim,” the teachers sharp and aged voice called out, “Please close your mouths and do your work, there’s only about seven minutes left of class, you can hold your conversation until then.”
 
                I glared at Xiumin who smiled down at me. I hated him so, so freaking much.

 

Authors Note~
 
I hope no one hates me for being gone for so long. 
Haha...ha..........ha....

But uh, yeah, here's an update and uh...

OKAYBYEYOUGUYSSEEYOUSOON
//distracts everyone with cute xiumin gifs.

  
  

Alright, my fabulous readers; 
until we see each other in the next update~

OLE~