Chapter 8

Almost Is Never Enough
 
I kept meeting up with him for a week now and I never told either one of them, Marissa nor Sabrina. It was a secret to be remained forever and stay between Devon and I. Always after school I  would hang out with him and then come around 4 o'clock to finish the rest of the homework I didn't get to. 
 
Marissa and Sabrina didn't seem to notice my absence, if they did, they didn't seem to care. They were to busy with their plans and date for the Winter Ball. They invited me to go with them but I didn't want to show up with no date. It would make me look like a loser.  So I planned I wasn't going to go at all. I never really cared for the school dances anyway.
 
After school with Devon was fun, but we never went anywhere. Just to the first place where I met him. We did homework together and that was about it. After school though, he surprised me in many ways.
 
"Goodie two shoes." He murmured under his breath as I corrected him on his algebra explaining how that one problem can effect his whole grade. 
 
"Excuse me." I said in a playful voice, biting on the eraser on my pencil. 
 
"Nothing." He said,  a smile appearing on his face. He erased the problem and started all over showing his work. 
 
I rolled my eyes at him and wrote down the answer for the last math problem. "I hate when mind control classes gives math. It makes me feel normal." I smiled.
 
He just smiled at me and looked back down at his paper. I looked at him, and notice how cute and innocent he looked for a moment. The small breeze carried his beautiful scent around me and I was helpless, and I hated that part. 
 
I stared at him and got closer so I could lean over his shoulder to see how he was doing on his homework. "You're doing fine, so far." I commented. My purple yellowish hair was pulled back into a ponytail and my bangs were the only things out of the ponytail. (I hated bangs.) So I was grateful my hair didn't get in his way.
 
 I wore a simple dark purple shirt with skinny jeans with black converse. While  Devon, wore a black t-shirt and long black jeans with black sneakers. Everything about him was black except for his eyes and his hair, plus his pale skin, but of course not as pale as a vampire. 
 
"Can you stop, Arya? Devon hissed, his voice so mesmerizing. He closed his notebook and started to pack up. 
 
"Make me." I smirked under my breath. I stopped looking over his shoulder though, since he was done. I started to pack up my books and pencils into my brownish blue backpack. It had a pattern of flowers (specifically a lotus) all over it. Which I thought expressed me pretty well.
 
Devon got up and looked down at me, "Wanna go out somewhere?" 
 
"Why?" I asked, in a confused question. 
 
"Why do you question everything I ask?" He said with a smile, his pearly whites showing down at me. 
 
"Just in case.." I got up and place my backpack in my back, but only placing one of the arms of the backpack on one arm.
 
"There's nothing to worry about." He smirked. "Unless, I get mad." 
 
"Then let's pray you don't." 
 
We both got up with our backpacks on us. "I'll meet you back here in 10, kay?" I said softly. I started to walk towards the school and turned back to see if he was going to follow. He wasn't for he was already gone. I rushed to the school entrance and up the two flights of stairs. I opened the dorm door and found the two girls chatting. 
 
Marissa turned towards me and waved. Sabrina looked at me and just smiled. She looked at Marissa and tried to gain her attention again. I walked past both of them and set my backpack beside my bed. I looked at Sabrina and looked at the time, "You have to be in your dorm by 7." I commented as a reminder. 
 
"I know." She spoke as she looked at me then went back to Marissa. 
 
I walked past them and closed the door behind me, taking the extra key to our dorm. I walked down the flight of stairs and exited the school entrance, already to find Devon waiting for me. I looked back at the brand new built school, since due to the fire he caused. I gave out a heavy sigh and turned back towards him. 
 
"Ready?" He asked, his hands in his pockets. 
 
I nodded and walked down the steps to be right by his side, "Where do you wanna go?" I asked. 
 
"Do you wanna go shopping for your dress or something?" He asked, shrugging his shoulders. His dark purple eyes looking straight forward at the school courtyard. 
 
"I'm not going to the Winter Ball." I said, trying to see what he was staring at.
 
Devon looked down at me and gave a small smile, "Why?" 
 
"Because, I don't have a date and I don't want to go." I said softly. 
 
Devon nodded but gave a small smirk, "So where do you want to go?" 
 
"Anywhere is fine for me." 
 
He shrugged, "Wanna walk downtown?"
 
I nodded and started to lead the way to downtown. Devon caught up with me and we started our way. As we walked, we talked about very few things and it felt weird. Whenever I tried to start talking nothing came out and Devon kept looking straight forward. He was so confusing and mysterious to understand. 
 
Many people stared at us for a few seconds before moving on, and I understand why. We had unnatural hair color, different color eyes, and one of us almost looked like a vampire.
 
We walked in silence most of the way until Devon stopped walking. I stopped behind him. He looked at me, his eyes deepening inside me. He turned to look at a store window full of dresses. 
 
I scolded him and continued to walk, making sure Devon was behind me. I checked my  to phone a couple of times, it was 5 o'clock. I sat down and waited for him to catch up. Devon walked perfectly. His posture and tempo was just like Marissa's, except without so many curves. 
 
When he caught up to me, the first word or sentence I heard from him since we started the walk was, "Where do you want to go?"
 
I stared at him and sat there for a moment. Thinking of a good place. "How about the lake?" I asked, with a small smile.
 
He shrugged his shoulder and I could tell he was giving a disgusted look, but didn't bother to punch him. I got up from the small wooden blue bench and started to head towards the lake which was a few minutes away. 
 
The lake was one of my favorite places. It was beautiful and stunning. Pine trees, bushes, and different flowers of all types scattered around the lake. Paths were built so people could walk on of course. Docs and bridges were built too. Deer, moose, geese, mountain lions, cougars, and many other wild life animals lived in, under, on, and around the lake.  The reflection of the trees and plants reflected off the water and it rippled every time something disturbed it. I loved the place, for it was a place for me to just sit there and listen. To relax and let go of myself for once. 
 
I hummed to myself silently with Devon behind me. He stared at other people as they stare at us, but of course I didn't mind. Even though I kept on a close eye on him, just in case. 
 
We arrived at the lake a few seconds later. I took in the fresh and pine scented air. I started to walk a little faster, but maintained myself, because I knew Devon would make fun of me. I turned my head to look at him. I tilted my head at him and my eyes glimmered with confusion. Devon just stood there looking over at the lake, something over or maybe across the lake. His eyes, stood purple, but something about them didn't seem right. His eyes were probably darkening but I let it go. 
 
"Devon." I whispered as I approached him. "Come on." 
 
He stopped looking at whatever he was looking at and started to walk towards a bench. I followed him and sat down on the wooden brown bench before him. The bench overlooked the lake and it was marvelous. 
 
I stayed silent for a few moments and I turned to look at Devon. He had his eyes closed and he was smiling about something. He chuckled and murmured something to low for me to catch. 
 
"Devon, can I show you something?" I said, still looking at him.
 
He opened his eyes and got up, placing his hands in his pocketed again, "Sure." 
 
I smiled and got up and started heading towards in the woods. I constantly made sure there was no wild animal to harm us, for I knew Devon would have killed it in a second, and I didn't want to see that. I glanced back at him as we trenched, and made the twigs snap and crack under our weight. It probably took another 15 minutes of our day when I finally made it to the place I wanted to show him. 
 
It was a very burnt and ugly place of the forest. Hidden away from the people to see. They were barely any living thing at all. If there was, it was just small sprouts. Trees were burnt and scared, and laid motionless on the ground. Some were so delicate that with a shel tech it would break away and turn into ash. Ash still covered the ground and the slight wind made it swirl in mysterious patterns. 
 
I looked back at Devon, but all I saw was his darker eyes. I ignored it again and continued on. "My family used to come to this part of this forest every summer before I was sent away." I paused for a second before containing. "You know, before they knew I was different. I would always run under the big sycamore tree and build on top of it was a tree fort. My family and I were the only ones who camped out here and it was amazing. Everything about me was so perfectly normal. Marissa's family would come here too with us. Marissa and I were best friends back then too. The trailers would be parked over in the parking lot and we would carry our supplies to here. As time passed and Marissa reached the age 9, her parents told us that she was sent away somewhere and our family didn't now why. Just that she was gone. So I spent most of my times here alone. Drawing lines and using my imagination every summer. The truth was, I was extremely bored without her but I stilled loved the place.  When I finally reach the age 11, my hair was changing colors and my normal life was beginning to change. I would sometimes be found lifting objects, changing into different forms, and the weather would change automatically. My parents knew I wasn't normal and they didn't like it. We no longer visited this place because we moved from Sycamore. We moved to a deserted place where I was homeschooled so nobody could know of my abilities. My parents hated me for my abilities. They disapproved of it and told me to stop, but how could I have stopped. I loved it and I couldn't control it. Only a year past until we went back to Sycamore. I was so happy and excited. When I did arrived my parents and I stayed at a small house with some friends of theirs. We stayed over for three nights and four days. One morning when I woke up the house was very quiet and I tried over and over again to find my parents but it was useless. I told myself they went shopping and they would be right back. I stayed in my room by myself until 12 pm. I went out and started to look again and finally I found the heart breaking letter. I still remember those exact words because they stung and pierced my heart. It read
 
'Dear Arya,
         We are very sorry for you to hear it like this, but we went back home. We decided it was for you to go to the same academy as Marissa is attending to. It is only for your good and from our love. A taxi will pick you up by 6 o'clock to pick you up and take you to the school that will help you, but for now on and until you learn how to control those nonsense powers, we are no longer cut out to be your parents. Do not at any time or any day write to us or call us. We do not want to hear from you until you straighten up. 
 
Daniella and Tod'
 
"Do you know how heart breaking it is to hear from the people you love that they don't want you to call them mom or dad anymore. It hurts. From what I heard, I was forgotten and casted away. They threw me aside and never bothered to pick me up again. After that, at the age of 13 I went and reunited with my best friend. She was the only one that I considered a family member until now. So for 3 years, we've been in this special high-school, hidden from human eyes." 
 
Devon looked at me and nothing was his expression. He started to laugh actually and it fired me up. "What?" I hissed under my breath. 
 
"You're a wuss, that's all." He said, with a smile across his face. "You're weak and so fragile. You're still complaining about that for 3 years. Look, I had a harder childhood than you since I was 13." He commented, something in his voice telling me that he didn't care. 
 
"I'm a wuss?! At least I have feelings." I said, my voice soon was to become louder than it was. 
 
"Feelings are for wusses." He smirked. 
 
"I'm not a wuss. I've already proved that." I said calmly, trying to maintain my voice.
 
He just smirked and started to walk away from me. "Really? You're just going to leave me!" I shouted standing out in the middle of the burnt area. I tried to think of a good name to call him but nothing came to me ahead except, "You're blind." 
 
He stopped and looked at me, his eyes now a dark red. "I can see perfectly." His hands started to get hot and I could feel it even he was standing 20 feet away from me. I flinched a little remembering the hot scorching mark he gave me last time, but I stood my ground. 
 
"Calm down, demon." I said looking up to look directly into his eyes. "You get mad too easily."
 
"Are you controlling me? Are you really telling me what to do?" He started to levitate a little of the ground, well at least I thought he was. The air became very dry and the delicate ash trees soon to ignite. I shook my head and scolded myself for the second time picking the wrong place to make him mad.
 
"No, I'm giving you a decision. Come down, please." I said calmly, my eyes starting to squint the from the heat. 
 
His hands were now red and his eyes were nothing but a dark bloody red. He levitated off the ground about 5 feet. I've never seen much action from a demon ever, but from what I read, this could mean a bad sign. (He can destroy the world or even Sycamore.)They were many different types of demons and as I recalled before, he was a fire demon. He had a hot temper and had a very "weird" mind. 
 
"Devon, please come down." I said as I got closer to him. He heat got very strong and I felt like I was going to melt. I immediately my weather powers to store some of the energy but it wasn't enough. "Calm down." I grabbed his hand and I winced as I felt the fire piercing through my skin. 
 
Devon looked down at me and then back to his hand where I was holding on to him. He started to slowly head towards the ground. He cooled down, but the second burned mark was still on my hand. I still held his hand until he reach the ground. 
 
"Why?" The first thing I ask as I pulled my hand away slowly, examining it how bad it was. 
 
He shrugged and looked away from me. 
 
"Why the world or maybe Sycamore when I was the one who made you mad? Why are you so blind?" 
 
"I'm not blind." He muttered. 
 
"Yes, you are. When you get angry, you don't see. You don't see the truth." I responded softly. 
 
He didn't respond, so I started to walk away. I held on to my right hand, which was the one that got burnt. I rushed to get to the lake and as soon as I did I dipped my hand in there. You could here the popping and sizzling as it entered the cool lake. It felt good but heartbreaking and I didn't know why. Maybe because of what he said, my emotional feelings, the pain of the mark, my confused feelings for him, or maybe it was all of the above. I stayed there for probably five minutes until Devon approached me. His hands again in his pockets. 
 
I pulled my hands out if the water and looked up at him. I stood up looking at him. He took a couple steps forward, and again, we were three inches away from each other. I made eye contact with him. 
 
 
"If you got mad again, would you kill me?" I asked. 
 
He shrugged and started to head towards school. He left without me and didn't say the usual good-bye. I stood at the lake by myself. I never had this feeling before. I was being dramatic, maybe. As soon as he left, I fell to my knees and started to cry. I felt the relief of pain and sadness, but not confusion.