Chapter 5

Almost Is Never Enough

Chapter 5

"Arya. Arya, wake up. Arya!" I heard this voice over and over again in my head, until my eyes started to flutter open. Everything to my sight was a blur. A disorder figure I could not make out, but my vision started to readjust and I saw Marissa in front of me. 

 
Everything was so dark outside and as you turned to look up the only thing you could see was the moon and the stars. I placed my hand on my forehead then tried to stand up. Marissa offered her hand and I took it gratefully. I brushed off the dirt and dust over me and looked straight at her. I remembered nothing about what just happened until I saw my left arm. The burnt mark. 
 
"Dang it." I muttered under the dark sky, not loud enough for Marissa to hear. I was now thankful for the dark night to cover the scar. 
 
"What the heck happened here?" Marissa grunted. "It looks like a tornado happened here." She turned to look at her surroundings her eyes sweeping the territory carefully, making sure she did not miss an important detail. 
 
"Nothing." I muttered. "I probably fainted because I didn't drink any water today." I lied to her again.  I winced as I touched my burnt mark. "I'm fine now."
 
Marissa nodded in the dark. (Well, I thought she did.) "Lets go inside now. It's 9 o'clock. " She started heading towards the front of the school where we entered. I placed my hand over my burnt mark the whole time making sure in every light we went past she did not see it. 
 
"I was starting to get worried when you didn't arrived. " Marissa said after the long period of silence as we walked down the hallways and up the stairs to the dorm.  "You do know, you get yourself into these messes right?" She unlocked the door to our dorm.
 
"Yeah." I muttered tiredly. "I suppose so."
 
"Maybe, because in your life you are to much of goody two-shoes that life decided to change that around." Marissa said, attempting to change the awkward mood. The dorm door opened with a small click sound as she opened the door. She went inside and held the door for me to entered. 
 
I kept my right hand over my burnt mark and gave a light smile. I entered the room quickly not giving Marissa a second glance. 
 
"Are you sure you are okay? I don't want any lies this time." Marissa said her eyes locked into mines. "I had to many lies in one one week."
 
I paused for a moment and looked down. I could not believe this whole time she caught me lying. (Well, obviously, since I was not that very good. Maybe this was why I was called a goodie two-shoes.) "No more lies." I muttered.
 
I slowly pulled away my right hand revealing the scorch and red hot mark in my left arm. I pulled my arm in front of me so she could see. 
 
"He messed with you again." She hissed under her breath. "Arya, this is getting serious now. He's stalking you. He's staring at you and now he's abusing you." I could tell by her voice she was attempting not to shout at me. 
 
"It was a mistake." I whispered, "He didn't mean anything." 
 
Marissa smirked, "What do you mean he didn't mean anything. He's a demon. He means harm. He is a horrible monster." She muttered under her breath her voice fading away every time she spoke. She got up and took my left arm, and watched me wince. She stared at it in disbelief for a few seconds before saying another word, "You can take care of it, right?"
 
I looked at her and sighed. Holding in my tears. I knew my friend was trying to show I could take care of myself, but in this case I couldn't. I couldn't move my arm and I didn't know what to do except put it under cold water. Then do what. 
 
"No." I said with a heavy sigh. "No, I can't." I looked to Marissa with tears forging on the way. I forced myself to pull it together. 
 
Marissa glared at me and gave a heavy sigh, "First." 
 
"Fine, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for acting like a jerk." I murmured under my breath. Even though I said, it didn't mean I fully meant it.
 
"Fine enough for me." Marissa said. She pulled back her jet black hair into a ponytail and went inside the bathroom to get some ointment and spray.  "When I come back, I want to see you using your powers to cool it down." She hollered as she when inside the bathroom.
 
I mimicked her in a light voice. 'I am really acting like a jerk today.' I said inside my head. I pushed the though away and sighed. I grab as much water from the sink with my powers and started to place it on the burned mark. 
 
I sizzled and crack underneath and I winced and moaned in pain, but the harsh feeling turned into a cool feeling. Soothing my mark and cooling it down. I took deep breaths, in and out to keep myself from screaming.
 
A minute later, Marissa came back from the bathroom with the spray, ointment, and a wrap. "Sit down." She ordered me.
 
I sat down on the bed and lifted up my arm and took away the water from it. Marissa came close and went very fast. I couldn't tell what came next, and less than a second she was done. My arm was wrapped up and starting to heal. 
 
"Stay away from him, okay." She said after backing away and examining her work. 
 
"I can't. He keeps finding me." I said under my breath. To low for my friend's ear to hear. "Fine, I'll try." I said.
 
Marissa looked at me, her eyes glaring stuck on mines. "For some reason, I think that promise will be broken, Arya."
 
"I told you I would try." I mumbled. "I'll will stay away from him when I can."
 
Marissa shook her head and said a few words that I could not catch. She went in the bathroom and I heard the rush of the water come on as she closed the door. I sighed and placed my hands on my forehead as I laid down on the bed. I kept thinking of him over and over again. At the same time I was trying to push him out of my head and that was the hardest part.
 
I rolled and tossed in the bed as Marissa was in the shower. I kept thinking the words she said over in my head. I groaned and hissed under my breath as I remembered the times I did something terribly stupid. 
 
The bathroom door and Marissa came out with her pj's on. The top being an white tank with green shorts. "I'm going to bed, kay." She walked over to the beds and climbed up to the top bunk.  "You can take a bath." 
 
I got up from where I was laying and looked at Marissa, "Thanks by the way. For fixing me up." 
 
Marissa smirked, "You'll probably need more healing anyway." She rolled away so she could not look at me. "I'll stay awake until we tell our stories, kay."
 
I smiled happily, the thoughts of our friendship falling apart were not complete. "Okay." I opened the door to the bathroom and went to go take a shower.