Chapter 3

Almost Is Never Enough

Chapter 3

I woke up to the warmth of the sun shining in my face as usual. I felt so drowsy and tired the next morning and I was happy enough it was a Saturday. I got out of bed and looked above me to see if Marissa was awake. She wasn't. 

 
I looked at myself and realized I did not change my clothes from last night plus I did not take a shower. I went straight towards the bathroom and took a quick shower, changing into a brand new outfit. Since today was a lazy Saturday and it was not a school day I decided to put on shorts and a casual shirt since it was easier to get into. 
 
The color of the shorts were blue jeans. The shirt I wore that day was very plain. It was a dark purple shirt. I stared at the shirt for a long time, it probably felt like a day before I put it on. The shirt reminded me of him so much. I shook the thought out of my head as I put my hair in a high ponytail. 
 
I went back to the beds to find Marissa awake. She did not turn to look at me or even say good morning. I gave out a heavy sigh, "Marissa, I am going out to eat. Wanna come?" 
 
She turned to look at me with a huge smile on her face, "I was beginning to wonder when you were going to talk to me." She got up and changed into her clothes in such a hurry she was blur. 
 
"So you're not mad at me?" I asked in a confused voice. I watched Marissa zooming across the room getting ready to go. When she was done she appeared in front of me like ghost, I jumped. 
 
"No, I was never mad at you. I was just confused why you were defending him." Marissa said plainly, no emotion on her face.
 
I looked at her and stayed silent. I wanted to tell her that he was not dangerous. How he did not seem to anyone's soul out. How he seemed mysterious. 
 
Marissa rolled her eyes at me and sighed, "I'll meet you there. Denny's?" She opened the door and in a second she was gone. 
 
I got my small bag, which was the color of dark purple. I cursed under my breath as my mind started to wonder back to him. I picked it up and put it over my shoulder. I walked out of the room and locked it behind me. I took a deep breath and walked down the two flights of stairs. 
 
Walking past people was a disappointment for they gave me the same stares they did yesterday, but I was glad enough it was not as much as yesterday.
 
I walked 'slower' than usual as I was about to exit the building. I wished he would appear again so I could show him I was not a weakling. To punch him in the face and drown him. I gave a quick glance behind me and gave a disappointed look.  I opened the school door and walked away to go have breakfast with Marissa at Denny's.