Chapter 2

Almost Is Never Enough

Chapter 2

I walked fast to my dorm where I expected Marissa would be doing her homework. I slammed the door to the dorm loud enough for the whole school to hear. I locked it up and gave a heavy sigh, sliding down the door, bringing my chest to my knees. 

 
Marissa gave a confused look at me, "Where were you? I texted you I would be in the dorm today. I was starting to get worry. Your backpack and your school books were here but you weren't." She played with her pencil in her right hand, twirling it around her hands.
 
"My phone was off." I lied to her. I felt horrible lying and I was not very good at it either. "I did not get your text until now." 
 
I felt so stupid and foolish. The demon probably messed with my phone and made me not get the text. I slapped my hand on my head murmuring a few words under my breath to low for my friend to hear. 
 
Marissa looked at me and got up from where she was sitting to tend to me, "Are you sure you are okay?" She knelt down by me making me look into her eyes. "I know you are lying, Arya Monroe." 
 
She was serious for she called me by my first and last name, "No I am not okay but I am now." I did not want her to ask anymore questions so I got up and walked over to my backpack and took out a pencil and a notebook. "I am going to get started on homework, kay." 
 
Marissa gave a small shrug before going back to the desk returning to her work. She constantly glanced at me, which annoyed me a lot. I could take care of myself and plainly saw she believed I could not.
 
 When I  finished my telekinesis and weathering homework I glanced up at her. "I can take care of myself." A hint of anger and annoyance was in my voice.
 
"I know." Marissa said solemnly, "It's just, I don't like it when you lie to me. It tells me something is bothering you and you can't even tell me." She said as she placed her work in her binder neatly.
 
"You don't need to know every single problem in my life." I groaned under my breath.  Marissa gave me a hard glare and opened .
 
"You are right, but today's problem was my problem too Arya. A demon stared at you for the longest time in history. He probably would have killed you or even hurt you, but you know what that is not my problem." Marissa said her voice rising with anger.
 
"It isn't. He didn't stare at you. He didn't watch you in class all day. He didn't smile or wave at you or even winked at you. He didn't meet you after school." And right there and then I knew I made a mistake.
 
"He what!? He met with you after school! Arya this is serious now. He is stalker and a creeper." Marissa growled. "He can hurt you."
 
"This is not your problem or your concern. I can protect myself and I can defend myself." I said my voice growing more higher and stronger. 
 
Marissa glared at me, her amber eyes stern and frozen into mines. I turned away from her gaze but I could still tell she was staring at me, and it hurt painfully. Fighting over my protection and demon was pulling us away.
 
The rest of the day we did not speak to each other or looked at each other. I could tell she tried to talk to me, but I pushed her away. The night went by so slow and was extremely quiet. We did not giggle or tell stories to each other that night at all. Not a single sound came out of both of us at all and it was hurting me.  
 
It hurt that my best friend, my only friend, was ignoring me. It was like paper torn to pieces because the person thought it was a lame drawing. That night I fumbled around in my sleep. I was so restless that night. I mumbled and groaned while I was wide awake. 
 
I tried sleeping but Marissa's and his voice echoed in my head all night. Saying I needed protection, saying he was dangerous, saying that I was weak. My brain played so many tricks on me that night, but for one thing at the end of the nightmare.  I knew two things that were not true. I was not weak and he was not dangerous.