Chapter 10

Almost Is Never Enough
The school was buzzling on Sunday. Every single student was excited and couldn't sit still. Every corner you would see a student accidentally crushing the locker doors or turning invisible constantly. 
 
Sabrina walked beside Marissa and I in the morning wearing something 'lazy' for once in her life. It was a pink shirt with blue jeans and black shoes. Wearing her hair up. While Marissa and I wore the same outfits for the third month of school. A black shirt, blue jeans, and shoes. While I wore purple shirt, blue jeans, and shoes. 
 
Sabrina jabbered about her date for tonight and I wanted to puke. I was done talking about boys, but gladly the conversation changed when I saw Devon in the hallways with some of his friends. 
 
"Isn't that the guy who talks to you?" Sabrina pointed out. I scowled her and gave a short glare. 
 
"Can you stop?" I muttered. It was even worse because Devon noticed and gave a small smirk. I looked at Marissa and her expression was hard to read because there was no expression to read. 
 
"I think he wants to talk to you." Sabrina said as she patted me on the back, "You should go." I turned to look at him and saw he was staring at me. I groaned and looked at the two girls. 
 
"I'll be right back. He won't leave me alone until he gets to talk to me." I mumbled as I stalked off.  I glanced back to see my friends but realized they were long gone. 
 
"You going to the dance?" He asked as usual.
 
"Yeah." I muttered, avoiding eye contact. 
 
He laughed at me and walked off with out another word. His purple eyes stayed cold and I could still feel his presence, when clearly he walked off. I shook it off and looked down at my feet as I felt a warm breeze pass by. 
 
It was a small note that floated and landed by my feet. I picked it up and opened it up. It was threat, 'STAY AWAY FROM HIM OR ELSE.' It was written in many different writings and maybe one of them was mine. I first thought it was joke, but it scared me. 
 
I put the note in my pocket and went to go find my friends. I continued to walk but his perfect laugh stuck into my head even though how hard I tried to get it out. 
 
When I finally found the two, Sabrina was off in the corner with her date and Marissa stayed a few feet away with a bored face. I walked up to her and poked her on the back. Marissa turned to give a small smile and looked at Sabrina, "I'm going to be in the dorm." Sabrina just gave a small nod. 
 
We both went upstairs and into our dorm rooms. I was the first to speak, "So, you still going?" Marissa gave me a disbelief looked, "Of course." 
 
I looked down, yesterday, I wanted to back out. I did know though, if I did, Marissa would throw a fit. Today wasn't a good day for a fit. 
 
I looked at her, "I'm just nervous. It's the Winter Ball. The special dance that every has a friend or a date to go with." 
 
Marissa looked at me, "You can hang out with us." She considered. I shook my head sorrowfully.
 
"If I did, I would be bothering you and Markus." I said, sitting down on my bed. Looking at my feet as I did so. It felt wrong to go. I wasn't right for myself to make a fool out of myself. 
 
Marissa sat down on the chair by the desk, "If you feel that bad, maybe you should go find somebody." She said with a smirk. I didn't like her idea. It made me feel uncomfortable and it brought up the foolish conversation yesterday. 
 
"I'm fine." I said quietly to myself. I didn't want to bring up the subject. Not now or today. There was few seconds of silence.
 
"It's five. Wanna get ready?" Marissa asked. I looked up to see her dressed and ready to go. "I did it quickly, just to help you." She said with a light smile. 
 
Marissa had a light blue dress that was a gown like mines. The top had sleeves that were visible and the top like mines, except having rhinestones scattered across the dress. The bottom part of the dress was puffy like mines, having layers after layers, (likes mines.) It wasn't sparkly, but it was smooth like silk. She wore silver wedges that were probably one inch. 
 
Her hair was up into a bun with two strands of hair out of the bun. A princess style you could recall. She had two stud earrings on and a necklace with a small diamond on it. 
 
I was jealous, as usual, of her beauty, but in such a fancy dress, it made her triple times prettier. I never understood why. 
 
"My turn." I said with a nervous smile. I used telekinesis to being out my dress, plus the jewelry and shoes I was going to wear.  I gave Marissa a worry glance as I looked down at my dress. This was going to be awkward. 
 
"Get dress, then I'll do your hair and makeup." Marissa said with a small smile. She shoveled me in the bathroom, as I complained about makeup. 
 
After I got dress in my dream dress, I came out, and she immediately sat me down in a chair. I haven't even put on my accessories yet before she started to do my hair. She left my bangs out to the side, where they were usually. She curled my ends and started to put it in a fancy pony tail. She then added some small diamonds in my hair. In my thought they were horrible, and would looked ugly, but it actually turned out beautiful.  She finished it less than a minute, and it still looked perfect. 
 
"Make up?" Marissa started to pull out the make up case. I scowled her, "No." She shrugged, and looked at me. 
 
"You look beautiful." She spoke, as she stared at me. 
 
I looked down at myself, the dress was pretty, but with the studded diamond earring, and the silver heels, I did look beautiful for once. I looked up at Marissa, "I don't know if I want to go."  
 
Marissa gave me a bewildered look, "You're kidding, right. I just got you looking pretty, bough two tickets for you, and now you say you don't want to go." 
 
I took in a deep breath, and bit my lip. I didn't want to hurt her feelings. "I'm just nervous." 
 
Marissa lighten up, "You'll be fine. We have 10 minutes until it start so you better go. I have to wait for Markus." She said. She checked the time then back at me.
 
I shook my head, "I'll go a little after you leave. So people don't see I don't have a date." I didn't want to seem like a fool. 
 
After about 5 minutes Markus came and picked up Marisssa. Leaving me in the dorm (with my pretty-self) alone. It was foolish of me to even buy a dress for the ball. I didn't want to go. I wasn't. At the ball, everybody would be dancing their feet off, while I would be in the corner watching everybody have fun. The music pounding in their ears, and slowly it turns into the slow dances that every couple loves, and I would hate. I made me want to start an earthquake. Lift all of them up, and make sure they never came down, become a lioness and rip the dance into shreds. It felt good to come up ways to destroy the dance in my mind, instead of real life. 
 
The ticking of the clock was the only thing you could her, other the booming and lights of the party. I sighed, and looked down at my dress. Then look at myself in the mirror, such a waste. To not use the dress for the event it was for. 
 
Tick Tock.....
 
Tick Tock.....
 
Tick Tock......
 
Only ten minutes pasted and I wanted to kill myself, until I heard a knock. I prayed. 
 
I walked over, opened it, then closed it immediately. "Arya." He said in his mesmerizing voice, as usual. "Open the door, or I'll just come in." I didn't open the door, and he walked through.
 
Devon looked amazing. Wearing a suit and tie. The tie matching my dress color, but yet he didn't do anything to his hair. The same purple hair. Especially to my surprise he didn't wear sneakers. He looked like every single boy at school, except to me he was different in some ways. 
 
"Why are you here?" I asked him, annoyed. 
 
Devon raised his eyebrow, "No compliment?" 
 
I sighed, "You look different, but yet still amazing." 
 
Devon just smiled, "You look beautiful, as always." 
 
I rolled my eyes, "So, why are you here?" 
 
"It isn't obvious? To take you to the dance." 
 
I knew this would happen. It was obvious, and I disliked him for that. I didn't want to go, and I told him so many times. I didn't want to dance, and I didn't want to go with him. 
 
I shook my head, "I won't go." 
 
I turned the chair around to face my back towards him, but he turned it, and looked me straight into the eyes, "No, isn't an option."  
 
I sighed, "Too me, it is. Go." He schooled his head in disagreement, and took my hand. 
 
"Just give me one chance. One more chance, Arya." He said, pleading. It didn't sound like it, but to me it sounded as he really wanted to spend time with me. 
 
I sighed, "One more chance, and that's about it." I got out, making sure my dress didn't get ruined, and gave myself a quick mirror check. 
 
Devon looked at me, "You're beautiful already." He took my hand when I was finished and we both walked to the party of our lives. 
 
At the party it was amazing, Devon already bought tickets and we were inside dancing slowly, of course. It was amazing the decor shiny and blinking of the walls. The small ornaments hanging from the ceiling, fake snow coverings the corners of the gym. To top it all of, I was with him. 
 
We slowly danced around the gym, and I felt terrific. I don't think there was ever a time when we separated at all. Wherever I went, he went. Wherever he went, I went. Well not all the time actually. Only that one time when I went to the bathroom. 
 
By the time it was midnight Devon and I were in his dorm room, tired. 
 
"Fun?" He asked me, with a curious eyebrow. I nodded my head in response. 
 
"Thank you." I whispered lightly. I felt pretty for once, and I felt comfortable for so,e reason. "Thank you for the fun."
 
Devon just smirked, "Just thought you needed it." He was sitting next to me, and I could feel the wariness of his body from a few inches. I felt a shock of electricity run through my body. 
 
"You okay?" Devon whispered softly in my ear. I nodded slowly.  I was tense, very tense. Devon, I suppose felt my tenseness and touched my hand! holding it tightly in his hands. 
 
"I'm sorry about before." Devon said in a surprise voice, maybe because he thought he would never say those words before. 
 
"Sorry?" I asked him, confused. I shook my head, "It's fine. We're cool now." I let his hand stay put in mines. 
 
I looked at him, my aqua eyes gleaming with something that maybe Marissa was right about. Love? Was that the word she said? Butterflies roamed in my tummy, and feeling them made my nervous. 
 
Devon looked at me too, his dark mysterious purple eyes looking at me. "I remembered when you hated me." 
 
I just smiled at him, "I never hated you, I just didn't like the way you act. I thought you were rather, interesting." I whispered the last parts. 
 
Devon just smiled, "So how do you feel about me now?" He smirked at his own question. 
 
"Me, I feel..I don't know." I whispered, now looking down. Devon was still staring down at me. 
 
"Confused?" He asked me. 
 
I shook my head, "It's hard to explain. I-I don't know how to explain." I could imagine him, smiling know at my stuttering. My foolishness about him. 
 
"Will this help?" He asked, he brought up my face, and gave a kiss. A soft and short kiss that only lasted for not even a second. I looked surprised and confused at him, but I soon returned the favor. Yes, I started to kiss him. 
 
The beautiful sensation in my tummy, saying that the butterflies were gone. The nice sensation, that I knew he loved me. That it wasn't a joke. It was real. Him being so close to me, and I feeling him. It made me feel, what's the word, romantic? Great? 
 
The kissing only lasted 2 minutes, or only in my mind it did. Devon pulled away from me, and turned away. "You should go now." I looked sad, and nodded. 
 
Devon looked back at me, and smiled lightly. I looked confused, "What does this mean?" I asked him. 
 
"Love." Devon said under his breath. "Good night Arya." He whispered ever so lightly, and I left. 
 
His mysteries behavior got me thinking the whole time. Did he regret his choice? Was I bad? What was it?! It confused me terribly, but for now, I would fall asleep dreaming of our first kiss. The beautiful sensation, that I knew I felt for him long enough.  
 
 
 
 
{sorry it took so long, hoped you enjoyed it}