Chapter 1

Almost Is Never Enough

Chapter 1

 

I woke up to the warmth of the sun on my face. It felt pleasuring and nice on me, but I didn't ask why for I already knew the answer myself.  I pulled the bed sheets off and went straight to the mirror without waking my dorm buddy. 
 
I looked around the dull dorm. I was on the bottom bunk while my partner was on the top. To the corner of the dorm was a desk, which we would trade off every single day. Then in the middle was two drawers that held our clothes. Then finally to the left of the dorm was a tight, small bathroom for us to share. The bathroom was the first place I went to every single day to judge myself. 
 
I groaned as I saw my hair. I hated it with all my life. It started purple at the roots and at the very tips it turned yellow. My hair naturally started changing colors when I realized what I was. I tried multiple times to cut my yellow tips but it failed many times. I hated my Snow White skin and my striking aqua eyes. It made me look unnatural even though I was.
 
Marissa, my dorm buddy and my best friend woke up as soon as I headed towards my drawer to pick out clothes. Marissa had raven black hair with amber eyes, and to top it all off she had silky soft white skin. I had to admit, she was gorgeous and almost everything she did was perfect. 
 
"Good morning." Marissa said in a dull zombie voice. I smirked a little, for this was how Marissa sounded every morning. Taking my eyes off her for just a second to look at my clothes I turn to see that she was already dressed in a blank v-neck t-shirt, skinny jeans, and black converse. Her hair made and ready for school.
 
"Can't you just slow down for once in your life." I joked. 
 
Marissa rolled her eyes at me, "Arya, you know that's impossible right. My powers are fast and being naturally perfect." She smiled at me, teasing me.
 
I smiled at her and quickly changed my clothes in the bathroom. Today I wore a floral shirt with purple flowers and underneath wearing a tank for the shirt was practically see-through and very flowy. I wore this shirt with my skinny jeans and my black sneakers. I quickly made my natural straight but unnatural hair color and got ready for school.
 
Marissa gave a quick glance at me and just smiled.
 
"What?" I asked annoyed slightly.
 
"Nothing, it's just you seem jealous of me all the time." Marissa said.
 
"Didn't I tell you last week that I did get jealous of you. You do everything perfectly." I said, rolling my eyes. Sometimes not getting my friend.
 
"Well, why are you jealous of me? I mean, you have some pretty cool powers too." Marissa said giving the school clock in our room a few glances. She was probably checking to see what time it was for me, since I couldn't get to class and eat breakfast super fast like her. 
 
"Yeah, powers that could get me stuck in this school for two extra years!" I moaned as I laid back down on the bed.
 
Marissa  just laughed silently to herself. "I believe your special. You are lucky enough to have powers anyway." She gave the clock one more glance before getting up. "Ready?" She asked raising her eyebrow at me.
 
I got up from where I was laying and gave a small smile, "Yeah." 
 
"Meet you there." Marissa said in a smirk as she sprinted away from me while I had to go the 'slow' way. I walked down two flights of stairs before I reached the main hall into the cafeteria. 
 
Inside the cafeteria, it was already buzzing with activity. More than usual. As I walked by I heard many girls and boy whispering about a new student that came over late last night at midnight. Rumor has it, the new student was a demon. Nobody has seen the new student yet, but from what they heard from their peers they believed it. 
 
I rolled my eyes at the thought of having a demon being a student here. It was ridiculous, for the last demon in this school about 300 years ago completely killed and took the souls of the people. The principal wouldn't let that happen, right? I pushed the thought out of my head and went in line with Marissa, which she saved me a spot.
 
"What took you so long?" Marissa joked with me, a wide smile on her face. (Even her teeth were perfect.)
 
"Oh you know, I'm just really slow." I said rolling my eyes. I took a tray and grabbed my breakfast from the buffet at school.  Two pancakes with maple syrup with orange juice. Marissa got scramble eggs, two prices of bacon, and milk. We walked side by side to find our usual table in the middle section of the cafeteria. 
 
Marissa took a quick seat down and started to eat so fast I couldn't tell if she was eating. As I sat down, she was already done with her food. All she had to do was watch me eat while she talked. 
 
Marissa talked on and on about the upcoming winter ball, explaining how not exciting it was going to be. All the girls would get so excited when they were asked out and start fussing about their hair and clothes. As I looked around many of students started to quiet down. I gave Marissa a glare telling her to shut up.
 
I felt instantly a dark and lonely aura fill the air. It was a rush of hot and cold air mixed together. I followed the eyes of other students to the entrance of the cafeteria. The answer suddenly hit me. They did aloud a demon at school.
 
I stared at him as he walked towards a table without getting food. He just sat there, very quiet and was smiling to himself. He seemed so mysterious but yet dangerous and it scared me. 
 
He had very dark purple hair that you can mistake for black. He wore a black t-shirt and black jeans. His skin very pale for a reason that I do not know of. I couldn't tell what the color of his eyes were for I couldn't see his face. 
 
The whole cafeteria remained silent as students got up to leave. Marissa gave me a worry look saying 'Let's go.' I shook my head slowly. I begged for my body to move and leave like Marissa wanted to do, but my brain said to stay. So I did. 
 
I kept my head down never looking at his direction even though I knew he was looking up once in awhile to look at other students. I felt it and I knew it with one of my powers. Telekinesis. I knew he was looking at others. 
 
I gave Marissa a quick glance and saw her face frozen in shock. She looked at me and looked towards at him. I did not understand what she was saying. Did she want me to look at him? 
 
I turned my head slowly  to look at him. I realized one thing for sure. He was looking straight at me. Directly at me with his dark purple, lifeless, eyes. My eyes were caught up in his. I felt my cheeks burning. I turned away quickly and looked at Marissa. 
 
"Let's go Arya." Marissa whispered to me still looking at the demon. 
 
I nodded in agreement and got up to leave. Putting my tray in the trash in a rush. I still felt his cold stares through me. I hurried out of the cafeteria as he watched me. Marissa ahead of me and already out of the exit. I, right behind her. 
 
"What was that?" Marissa growled under her breath.
 
"I don't know." I whispered, shrugging my shoulders. "Does it really matter?"
 
"Yes, Arya. It matters very much." Marissa said as walked towards a lockers. "Do you even know what he is?" A hint of anger was in her voice.
 
"Yeah, a demon." I said calmly, walking steadily by her.
 
"You make it sound like it's no big deal. He's a demon Arya. He's probably interested in your soul out." Marissa said growling under her breath. 
 
"How you do know what kind of demon he is?" I asked her getting annoyed that she was being over protective over me. I could take care of myself by myself. 
 
"Why are you defending him?"  Marissa said looking directly at me, anger flashing in her eyes. Stopping directly in front of our lockers. "He's a demon Arya. Remember that. He's not a friend. He's dangerous and no good for all of us." 
 
"Whatever." I muttered under my breath. I opened my lock with telekinesis and took out my books for class. "I'll be fine." I said in a reassuring voice. "I promise." 
 
Marissa just shook her head and grabbed her books. "Just be careful." She said as she walked off. I stood there alone for awhile until the bell rung and I was walking to class, silently. And him staring at me while I walked. 
 
School went by so slow today. It felt like a week has gone by before school ended and I met Marissa at the front of the school. On the way, people gave me weird  stares and disapproving looks as I walked past them. I felt sadness wave over me, I felt too disappointed I that I used my telekinesis to take my books and backpack to my dorm. I controlled my weather powers so it wouldn't rain.  Mrs.Peterson always  said sometimes feeling could control weather, so I had to practice.
 
I made my way through the sad crowd and found my way  to the front of the school. I went down the to the entrance and went down to the the brick walls, a block down from the school. The place where Marissa and I always met, but it wasn't her this time. It was him.
 
I stared at him, my eyes widen with fear. His dark purple eyes stayed motionless. 
 
He took a step forward towards me and then another. Soon he was about an inch away from me and smiled.
 
"I saw you today." He said, his voice soft but yet in a demon voice. (He also smelled unbelievably good, like wildflowers with morning dew on top.) 
 
I stood there my eyes locked in his, "So." I whispered weakly. "What's that suppose to mean?" Something about him told my mind to step away and run, but the other side told me to stay.
 
He smiled at me lightly and saw me take a step back. His reaction was to take another steps towards me. He was so mysterious. So unbelievably confusing to my mind.
 
"Stay away from me or I will hurt you." I said my voice rising a little, but stayed low for I was terrified. I could tell he knew I was scared. That I was never able to defeat him.
 
He threw his head back in a musical laughter. Something I have heard from my friend Marissa so many times. That perfect laughter that I was dying to have myself.  
 
"You believe a weakling like you can hurt me. I can see that you are scared, that you cannot even hurt me." His purple eyes seem to glow, each time he spoke. A small shimmer running across his eyes like the way the meadow grass does when it is winding. 
 
"You don't even know what powers I have. You do not know what I am capable of. I can hurt you." I said, my voice becoming more louder each time I spoke. 
 
"You don't know me myself. I know you better than you know yourself. I know you have telekinesis, shape shifting, and weather powers. " He said his face expressionless. "Surprise, that I know. You should be."
 
The more he spoke the more frightened and the more mad I got. "Stay away from me, or I will hurt you." 
 
"Try me." He said his purple eyes looking straight into mines. His eyes still shimmering from corner to corner. His face saying nothing more than he spoke.
 
I lifted up my hands in front of me and turned my hands  in the air to catch as much water in the air as I could. I stared at him waiting for his expression. Waiting for his reaction to do something. I lifted the water in my hands and left it there for a moment. 
 
He smiled at me, but not doing anything. He watched me as I left the water in my hands. "Well? I am waiting." 
 
I looked at the water in my hands and then at him. I felt the urge, the power to kill right on the spot. To drown him in water. To make sure he never came back to life, but I couldn't. I dropped the water and it faded into thin air.
 
He laughed at me. His laugh echoing my head over and over again. "You are weak. You are weak and tiny." I ran from him. I ran back to school where I could not hear his echoing laugh. Where I could no longer listened to his taunting, but all day I heard his voice whispering to me and laughing at me how weak  I was. How much he knew about me and how much he would never stop.