Chapter 4

Almost Is Never Enough

Chapter 4

Marissa and I came out laughing out of Denny's. I had to say it was a fun and and amusing time talking about how mad we were last night. At Denny's we told each other stories and cracked a few jokes to make up from last night.  Many of the waiters and grown ups gave us many disapproving looks as we laughed very loud, but obviously we did not mind. 

 
"I'm going to speed ahead." Marissa said with a small smile on her face, wiping her eyes from the tears of happiness. 
 
I rolled my eyes, "Can't you slow down for once? Plus it's dangerous to use your powers outside the school." 
 
Marissa laughed, "Stop being a goody two-shoes, Arya. The school is there to protect kids like us and only accept kids like us. This is why every kid who signs up gets an interview first." 
 
"Fine." I sighed, "But promise you'll be careful." I gave a small smile to lighten the mood up. I definitely not want to get into another argument.
 
Marissa smiled, "Who'll be able to catch a super fast person anyway. Plus, practice makes perfect." With that she turned into a blur and vanished out of sight, leaving me alone. Marissa never left me alone like this, but I believe she was trying to show me that she actually knew I could protect myself. I shook my head and sighed. Sometimes I never understood her.
 
I started to walk towards the school which was a mile away from here, but as soon I turned a block the scent of wildflowers with dew drops and the ocean breeze came to me. I was extremely confused because we were not close to the beach. The beach was a hour away and no wildflower could grow here. Not any perfect scenting wildflowers. Then it came to my scenes and I turned around, but it wasn't him. Nobody was there.
 
I shook my head and told myself stop thinking about him. I walked another 30 minutes toward school and another scent came to my nose. It was ash. Something burning. I shrugged the idea off, thinking it could be a building close by, but the closest building was the plaza, and it wasn't on fire. My slow walking pace turned into a fast walk then into a run. 
 
"Please. Please. Please." I murmured this under my breath as I ran towards the school. As I got closer the burning and heat rose, but as I turned to look at the gate the school was perfectly okay. My curiosity rose every second. 
 
"What the heck is it?" I whispered quietly to myself. Most of the time I would tell myself to shrug it off but I couldn't. Not this time. The burning smell was very strong where I was and there was no smoke or fire at the school.  I went around the back of the school to the garden.  Then to the cafeteria. Then the shake house. Then and finally the abandon warehouse. For sure that place seemed to be ablaze, but nobody was inside and I knew that for sure. There was reason why the place was called abandon. 
 
As I was about to turn away the scent of ocean breeze and wildflowers came back to me. I paused right on the spot. I knew for sure it was going to be.  I knew for sure it was him.
 
"Do you know how hard it is to get her away from you?" He said, carrying a can of acid. A smirk across his face. 
 
"Stay away from me." I said in a stern voice. I was not going to show him I was afraid. I lifted up my left hand and looked directly at him. I did not notice he was carrying a can of acid until then. 
 
"Doing that thing again are we. Obviously you proven you couldn't hurt me." He said, a simile on his face. 
 
"Try me." I said, using that exact same words he used on me. My left hand shot up in from of the acid making it explode on him. He hissed in pain and watched as his shirt burned. His head facing down at the ground. His hands caught ablaze and I soon realized I made a big mistake. I soon realized why I smelled the burning ashes. He was a fire demon.
 
"Big mistake." He growled under his breath his dark purple eyes now red. "Biggest mistake of your life." He swiped at me with his hand, which was blazing hot, destroying much due to the heat. I dodged the attack by ducking. I quickly twisted my hand in the air when I ducked to grab as much water but was out of luck. The air was so dry and hot. It was impossible to grab any water. 
 
He aimed for my head, trying to punch but failed for I blocked the attack with my arm. Another mistake. I burned myself and it didn't feel good. I took a couple steps back as he kept swiping, and punching at me. My only plan for now was to get out of the hot and dry air and in front of the school where I can get the help I needed.
 
"Fight coward." He hissed under his breath. I kept backing up and looked to the sky. I could have probably made it cloudy and made it rain, but that would have probably have taken much of my energy away and I was not in good shape to fight right now. I turned around for a second to run, but failed. He grabbed me by my arm and I screamed in pain. 
 
I felt cooked. He pushed his hand harder on my arm and I winced. It hissed and bubbled. Smoke curled under my nose. I never felt so much pain and agony in my life. 
 
I felt night pulling over me but forced myself to stay awake. I turned to look at him with small tears forming in my eyes. 'No.' I screamed in my voice. 'You will not show mercy.' I looked at him straight in the eye, "I am not a coward." I said. I lifted up my other arm and made him let go of me. I pushed him off me with the air and then lifted him up, choking him to his death. 
 
"Leave me alone. Don't you dare mess with me again." I said, in a angered voice. I let him go and started to feel dizzy. Night crept over me and I heard and saw nothing more.