Chapter 6

Almost Is Never Enough

Chapter 6

I walked out of from taking a shower 20 minutes later. I had a blank tank with a blue short with white swirls on it. I dried my hair and brushed it out before going to the beds where Marissa was awake, but she wasn't. She fell asleep. I groaned and laid on my bed pulling the covers over me with telekinesis. I practiced this over and over again until I got it right.

 
I closed my eyes until I felt darkness coming over me. I dreamt of him that night and it was a lovely dream,but a sad one. 
 
I opened my eyes before the sun could reach my face to wake me up. I sat up in the bed and checked the time. It was 7 o'clock and it was a Sunday. I laid back down in my bed and stayed awake. I heard the ticking of the clock and the snores of Marissa. I kept myself from laughing which was pretty easy since her snores were light and gentle. A snore I did not expect from Little Miss Perfect. 
 
I smiled at the thought when we were little and my hair was a light auburn brown, but the tips were turning yellow. I smiled at the thought of Marissa and I as we were children not knowing what we were or who we were. I would always yell and scream at her, "Little Miss Perfect!" Then Marissa would chase me down until she got tired.
 
I checked the time again and got out of bed, "8 o'clock." I went to the drawers and picked out my outfit of the day. I picked out a primary shirt that was the color light blue. I picked a matching undershirt to go with it. I pulled out skinny jeans with about 5 holes in it, made purposely by the designer. 
 
I carried these clothes into the bathroom so I could get ready. I put on the clothes and made my hair. Today I felt, myself, so I left it down. 
 
As I went back Marissa was still asleep and I did not want to wake her up so I wrote her note before I left.
 
'Marissa,
 
I'm going out to eat, sorry for acting like a major jerk yesterday night. I'll meet you later, unharmed.
 
Arya'
 
 
I took about 25 bucks with me and left the dorm room walking down two flights of stairs to the outside of the school. I walked out of the gate and walked towards IHOP which was around the block from the school. I slowly walked there and kicked a few rocks as cars pasted by. When I finally made it there and I opened the door.
 
"Table for one?" I asked the person up front. The male gave me a light smile and showed me to my table. I sat down and took the menu from his hands, "Thanks." The male walked away slowly and waved at me.
 
I looked at the menu for awhile, deciding what I wanted to drink and eat. I took so long when I ordered and I was glad my waiter had not come yet. 
 
"May I join you?" I heard a voice in front of me. 
 
"No." I said without looking at him. I knew it was him for I smelled the same beautiful scent. "Go away." I hissed under my breath.
 
He ignored me and sat next to me. I scooted over so I was not next to him. He didn't do anything. 
 
"Look," He said placing my menu down, "Yesterday was a mistake. An accident."
 
I glared at him in confusion and bewilderedness, "No it wasn't. Now get away." 
 
"I'm really sorry about yesterday okay. We got off the wrong hand anyway." He said trying to convince me.
 
"Leave me alone." I whispered without looking at him. 
 
"Okay, look, what if I introduced myself. My name is Devon, Devon Smith." He said with a small grin on his face.
 
"What do you want?" I finally said, looking at him.
 
"I want a favor." Devon said, a smirk growing across his face. "Tonight me and some friends of mines are going out, wanna come?" 
 
"No." I said pulling the menu back up in front of me. I was taking small breaths behind the menu, not daring to look at him.
 
Devon pulled the menu back down, "Nothing dangerous. Just some fun."
 
I took a heavy sigh, "I'll think about it." 
 
"Good, it starts at 8pm. Meet us at the abandon warehouse."  With that, Devon left and I pulled back up the menu and finally decided what I wanted. The waitress came and gave a me light smile, "What you like to order?"
 
"Can I get two pancakes with two sausages and scramble eggs and hot chocolate?" I said in a sweet tone. 
 
"Sure. I'll get that right out for you." The waitress left with her pad and pencil without another word. 
 
I played with my fingers over and over again. Deciding what I should do.  I looked up as the waitress came back with me food, "Enjoy." She said with a smile.
 
I drank all of my hot chocolate. I finished one pancake, one sausage, and half of the scramble egg. I decided it was best to give some to Marissa. I took a box and left a 4 dollar tip for the waitress. I walked fader and rapidly to the school. I checked my phone constantly and sighed, it was 10 o'clock.
 
I slowed down a bit when I was close to the school. I carried the box full of food in my arms as I passed the school gate and into the school. By then, people started to come downstairs, people were waking up, and the school was alive again.
 
I walked up the stairs of the school and went inside my dorm, closing the door behind me. I saw Marissa doing homework on the desk and gave a light smile to myself, "I brought some breakfast for you."
 
Marissa looked at me, already dressed and her hair put in a high ponytail. She wore a black jean jacket with her blue spaghetti strap shirt. She wore shorts.
 
She put her pencil down and striated to eat but was done in less then a minute. "So, how was IHOP?" She asked picking up her pencil again.
 
"Nice. I suppose. Wasn't busy as usual though." I said, solemnly. I looked at my feet and played with my fingers. 
 
"Okay." She said. She scribbled her pencil around on the pencil and put it down once again. "I just finished homework." 
 
I looked at her and gave a light smile, "Watcha wanna do?" 
 
"Make it up from yesterday." She said with a smile. She sat down on the floor across from me, sitting criss cross. "You start first."
 
I smiled and started to talk about my life and how I remembered the time when we were little. Marissa listened nodding her head or laughing out loud to what I was saying. Time went by very quickly. Her sharing her stories, and me sharing mines. I gave quick glances to the clock to check what time it was, but I knew I was not even going to go to his party. To whatever he called fun. 
 
We laughed and told weird and obnoxious stories about ourselves and relatives. It was happy time, you could say. I great time you would be having with your best friend.
 
Marissa stopped smiling when she heard a small boom sound and the building shook. "Earthquake." She murmured. But the shaking soon ended. Suddenly it started again, shaking the lights, and the beds. The glass started to break and soon shattered, scattering across the room. I lifted up my arm to keep the glass from shredding us apart. The room started to feel much more hotter and we both realized parts of the school were on fire.
 
"Arya!" She hissed, "Stop doing that."
 
"It's not me. I swear, plus I can't do that yet." I protested. I checked the time, it was 8:01 pm. 
 
Soon later, the school speakers came alive, "Please evacuate the school calmly and safely. Meet outside the gate." I looked at Marissa and got up. "Lets go."
 
We got up and went outside of the school, but instead of me going to the gate as I suppose to do, I was walking towards the abandon warehouse. Each step having a boom sound, seeing glass being broke from each class inside the school.
 
"Arya! Come back here!" Marissa said coming in front of me. "We have to go that way."
 
"No, I know who's doing this." I spoke. 
 
"We all know, it is the demon. Now let's go." Marissa said urging me on.
 
"No." I said calmly. 
 
"Why?" Marissa growled. "What has gotten into you?" 
 
"Nothing." I wanted to tell her, the demon had a name, that he invite me here, but that would have made matters worse.
 
"Then, if you're not coming, I'm coming with you." Marissa growled. 
 
I turned my head away from hers. She was so stubborn sometimes. We walked cautiously to the warehouse, making sure no glass would kill us or fire.
 
When we finally got there Marissa zoom pasted me and I saw who she was going for, Devon. She pinned him down on the floor and said something to him I didn't catch. He laughed in her face and pointed to other friends. A girl and another guy.
 
The girl got closer to me, her hands caught ablaze and started to swing at me. I blocked them with telekinesis. Ducking and moving to the side whenever she aimed. I got some nasty burnt marks in my cheek but it wasn't too bad. 
 
The male and got closer to Marissa ready to rip her to shreds. He gave some nasty marks already to her on her face and winced as I looked.  I raised my hands and started to choke both of them, making them move away from herald me as I got closer to where she was. The demons soon past out.  When I reached her I looked at Devon then back Marissa.
 
"Take these two back to the school. Tell the principal. She'll deal with them." I spoke silently.
 
"What about-" Marissa started to say, but I cut her off. 
 
"I'll deal with him." I said looking at him, staring in his eyes. Marissa got off of him and went away to deal with the two past out demons.
 
Devon got up and gave a light smile to me. He smirked a little and looked at me, "Thanks." 
 
I slapped him, hard. A red mark running across his pale face. 
 
"What the hell was that for?" He growled, his hands starting to turn red. 
 
"You have a real problem you know. This is what you call fun. This is what I call dangerous." I said calmly, staring at him. "What the freak where you thinking?"
 
"Fun." He said, smiling. Rubbing his hands in his cheek. 
 
"You think killing people and harming them is fun!? This is fun!?" I slapped him again, but this time on the other side. 
 
He growled under his breath. 
 
"You are really stupid enough to do this? You are really risking this?" I asked in a disbelieved voice.
 
"Yeah, I suppose so." He said, under his breath. 
 
"So, I guess I was wrong about you. You really are a demon." I said.
 
"Sweetie, sorry to your disappointment, but I am demon." Devon said his eyes starting to turn into red. 
 
"I'm sorry for you too." I said and I turned away from him. I was shaking from head to toe as I walked out of the school, as the administrators took care of the two demons. The nurses tend to the wounded, one of them was me.
 
My heart ached and for some reason I didn't know why. Was it because I felt bad for him? Or was it because my friendship with Marissa is starting to get confusing?