I

* PROMISE *

Some mornings, it's hard to get out of bed. When you finally open your eyes, you are late for everything and your whole day screwed. It happened to me a hundred times. But not today.

 

Today was different.

 

 

***

 

 

My phone rang.

 

" Yes, Hope ? " I said upon picking up although I shouldn't cause I'm driving right now.

 

" Are you on your way ? One of my friend is here already, the other one isn't here yet though. You can take your time. "

 

" Yeah, I am. I might be a little late. See you in a while ? "

 

" Okay, buddy. "

 

" Bye. " I said, and the line clicked dead.

 

 

***

 

 

I got out of the car and started walking towards a cafe named ' The Bluebird Cafe '. It was a beautiful day, I loved the sun and the blistering heat. I passed by a young man who was helping an old lady to cross the road. I guess Hope was right. There are still people out there who cares about you and that you will never be alone. I should be thankful that I'm one of those people. God bless that man, I said in my heart.

 

Once I was in the cafe, there was already a line forming at the counter. Gosh, and I thought I was early.

 

Macaroons. Macaroons. Macaroons. Was all I had in mind. Hope would love these macaroons, she's a sweet tooth. Hopefully there's still some left. ' The Bluebird Cafe ' is well known for their macaroons and by looking at this queue in front of me, I don't have much luck.

 

Till what seems like forever, it was finally my turn.

 

" Morning, miss. Welcome to Bluebird Cafe " said the lady working at the counter.

 

" Morning. May I have a box of your special macaroons, please ? " I caught a glimpse of the macaroons. Thank god there are still some left. Man, they were selling fast.

 

" Okay. Anything else for you, miss ? "

 

" Nope, that's all. " I paid the money and got my macaroons.

 

" Thank you. Please come again. " said the lady with the brightest smile I've ever seen.

 

" Thank you. " I stood by the side of the counter to keep my change in my wallet. That was when I realized the man queuing behind me was the same guy who helped the old lady to cross the road earlier.

 

" A box of your special macaroons, please ? " He was long and leanly muscular. He's wearing a orange knit beanie with bits of black hair sticking out, a grey hoody, and skinny jeans.

 

" I'm sorry, sir. It's all sold out. Would you like to try one of our cakes instead ? " said the lady.

 

" Dang it... umm, that's alright. Thanks anyway. " He said with disappointment as he turns and walks away.

 

Hmm. Why not ? I thought.

 

" You can have these. " I handed him the macaroons.

 

He looked at me. His brown eyes round as sand dollars.

 

" For real ? Are you sure ? I-I mean, no. It's okay. These are yours. You queued for it " He put it back onto my hand.

 

" It's okay. I live near here, I can come back here anytime to buy these. You should take these. You deserved it. " I handed him the macaroons again.

 

" Huh ? What did I do to deserve this ? " He seemed confused. His eyebrows making weird lines on his forehead.

 

" By doing something good today. You helped the old lady to cross the road. "

 

" That's it ? Is she your grandma- "

 

" Nope. "

 

Then there was this awkward silence between us. He stares at me with such intensity, it occurred to me why they call it eye contact. His eyebrows still making weird lines on his forehead.

 

" Goddamn. Aren't you something else ? " I watched a smile spread all the way across his face, showing off his dimples.

 

I wished I had dimples, damn it. I looked at my watch. 10 A.M. . It's been half an hour.

 

" Gosh, I have to go now. Bye ! " I'm late. I'm late. I'm late. I tried my best to run with my stupid legs. My steps lilting just slightly to the right as I ran. Ugh, thanks a lot, prosthetic leg.

 

" You haven't told me your name ! " That was the last sentence I heard before getting out of the cafe.

 

 

***

 

" Hope, I'm so so so sorry I'm late. I- " I looked at the table in front of me. Beside her, a man with eye bags was looking at me while he was eating his red velvet cake.

 

Look, let me just say it. The eye bags looks great on him. Like how on earth could eye bags look good on a person. Jesus Christ. This must be Tao. Since Hope has been telling me about him for like I don't know 7 million times maybe ?

 

" It's okay, Cam. Jeez, take a break will ya ? My other friend is still not here yet. Take a seat and calm down. " Hope being her usual self. She was always calm and patient. The exact opposite of me you could say. Maybe that's the reason why we clicked when I first met her at the Cancer support group. Just like her name, Hope. She gives me hope.

 

I sat down, and kicked her under the table. Don't get me wrong, I love Hope. She's more than a friend to me, more than a sister too. More like she's my other half. But times like this, I just couldn't help to not make fun of her.

 

" So.. are you gonna introduce this guy beside you or- " I purposely let the sentence hang there, not finishing it. I smirked and gave her my or-you-want-me-to-tell-him-that-you-have-been-talking-about-him-since-forever face. Man, I'm evil hah !

 

Hope blushed, for only about 5 seconds or so. She shot me a you-are-so-gonna-pay-for-this-you-fatass face.

 

" * cough * Carmen, this is Tao. Tao, this is my best friend, Carmen. " lame. Was all i had in mind.

 

" You can call me Cam. " I said with a smile.

 

" Hey, Cam. Hope has been telling me a lot about you lately. " He smiled and I can tell why Hope couldn't get her mind off him. He's tan, muscular and with that badass look on his face... Pffft, it has ' HOPE'S TYPE OF GUYS ' written all over him.

 

" Ohhhh, she's been talking a whole lot about you too. But I wouldn't say lately though." I couldn't contain my laughter anymore. You should've seen Hope's facial expression when she heard what I said.

 

Tao is just sitting there like some innocent looking puppy wondering ' wtf are you guys talking about '.

 

" Carmen. " She said. I can feeeeeel the heat.

 

" It's Cam. How many times must I tell you that ? CAMCAMCA- " until I heard a familiar voice behind me.

 

" Sorry I'm late, guys. I went to buy some macaroons and then they were all sold out and-  " He stopped and stared at me.

 

It's him. The macaroon guy,

 

If a nonhot boy stares at you relentlessly, it is somehow a form of assault. But a hot boy ... well.

 

" You haven't told me your name. " He chuckled.

 

" Well you didn't have to follow me all the way here just to know what my name is, do you ? " I joked. My heart fluttered.

 

" Maybe I do. " His eyes were still on me.

 

Are we flirting ? I've never flirt with anyone before.

 

"  Woah okay, I'm confused here. " Hope interrupted the both of us.

 

Tao looked at the macaroon guy and said : " Hey man, you want some red velvet ? " Hope should've told him not to speak with his mouth full because all I heard was ' her man, yo whants om rad vevet ? ' No joke.

 

***

 

" So, she gave me this box of macaroons just because I helped some old lady crossed the road. Are you kidding me, Hope ? " He said. " Your friend is .. Well, I can't really find a word to describe. " He broke out into that goofy smile.

 

Is it really that hard to describe me, really ?

 

" Oh, that's Carmen Harper alright. Wait. Which reminds me, isn't that suppose to be my box of macaroons ? " Hope said. I don't think it's suitable to describe someone by using their name though. I highly doubt that even my best friend couldn't describe me.

 

Oh you know, Debbie Hope is so Debbie Hope. See what I mean ?

 

" Carmen Harper. So that's your name. " He said. My name seems to be a million times better when he says it.

 

" Just call me Cam. "

 

" Don't you dare change the subject,  Kim Jongdae. Those macaroons are mine. " 

 

Kim Jongdae. I must keep that in mind.

 

" Why Cam ? " Tao said after finishing his red velvet, finally. That guy sure like cakes alright. Hope should start her own business of bakery or something.

 

" Well. I just feel like Cam's a much more stronger name. Somehow, Carmen sounds a like a weak name to me. " I paused. " And I don't want to be weak. "

 

" What do you mean by weak ? " Jongdae asked.

 

" I met Cam when I enrolled myself at the Cancer support group. " Hope paused and looked at me, so did Tao and Jongdae. " Cam has osteosarcoma. "

 

I hate that kind feeling when everyone stops and look at me, wondering what was wrong with me, and whether will it kill me, and how heroic my parents must be, and everything else. It's just cancer, like it or not, you still have to deal with it.

 

" Osteosarcoma isn't as bad as it sound. I'm fine. It is highly curable. " I can't help but to feel a little sad for myself. Cancer . Stupid bone cancer.

 

Jongdae and Tao just sat there and looked at me as if I'm about to explode or something. I don't blame them though. Most people react that way when they know I have bone cancer. It isn't obvious on me, besides my prosthetic leg that is. Hope was fine. She doesn't have cancer or anything. She just love to help people which explains why she joined the cancer support group.

 

Someone's tummy rumbled.

 

" Anyone wants red velvet ? Because I'm hungry again. " said Tao.

 

And we all burst out laughing.

 

 

***

 

" I had a great time, Cam. Thanks for everything. And. You owe me macaroons. A box of them. "

 

" You're welcome. Thanks for everything, Hope. YES YES I KNOW. You're starting to sound like my mom. I'll call you at night alright ? "

 

Hope hugged me before she left, so did Tao. But oh lord when Tao hugged me, I almost died. That boy needs to know how to control his strength. Tao was sending Hope back home so they left together.

 

While this macaroon guy- I mean Jongdae, was still beside me. I stood up, ready to leave.

 

" Carmen. "

 

" It's Cam. "

 

" But I like calling you Carmen. "

 

" I told you. Just call me Cam- "

 

" We should hang out more often. " He said.

 

" Okay. " I said. " I'll let you know when Hope,Tao and I are confirmed. " I started walking away, my steps lilthing.

 

" No. With me. " He said. " Now."  He caught up and was already beside me.

 

I stopped and limped beside him. " I hardly know you, Kim Jongdae. You might be a kidnapper. "

 

He nodded. " You do have a point, Carmen. " He smiled. The big, goofy, real smile. " But you'll never know until you try, right ? "

 

I look at him. Really look, as his eyes stayed fixed on mine.

 

I fall in. I say yes.