8

Not So New Girl

“So Kyungsoo, have you decided yet?”

Startled, Kyungsoo stares at Luhan, mouth hanging open. Not that she doesn’t know what to say because she does. But how can she react when she had literally just lain down on the couch a few moments ago, having just got back from work when Luhan barges in and asks her the question.

“Yah!” the other girl shrieks, annoyed by the lack of response.

Kyungsoo breaks out of her reverie guiltily and starts to open once more, to answer this time, but Sehun appearing out of nowhere startles her yet again and the words are stuck in .

“Noona!” he exclaims, slumping down on the sofa next to Luhan, “I come bearing news!”

Nobody says anything, the two girls just stare at Sehun, waiting for him to continue because what’s the point of replying when he’ll say it anyway.

“Believe it or not, Jongin proposed to Soojung this morning!”

Two jaws drop at the statement, both equally shocked, Kyungsoo even more so. She’s not just surprised but upset. No, upset is not the right word at all. She’s heartbroken, devastated, tortured and if she could use all the synonyms for heartbreak to describe her situation, she would, because she really is broken-hearted.

Luhan looks at her sympathetically, and Sehun being oblivious looks at them blankly, waiting for some kind of proper response.

After a while when nobody says anything again, Sehun yelps, “Noona! Noona!”

Silence still.

Kyungsoo wants to cry but how can she when Sehun is still there? Heck, she doesn’t even want to cry in front of Luhan because showing weakness isn’t her thing.

“Noona!” Sehun continues, and Kyungsoo feels him shaking her body, when did he even move so close to her? “Noona! Wake up!”

Wait, what?

“Aish, noona!”

Kyungsoo opens her eyes then, alarmed but pleased at the same time when it sinks in, fuh, it’s all a dream, just a dream.

“W-what’s wrong Sehun-ah?” she demands, voice slightly husky from sleep.

He lets out a heavy breath, “You were whimpering in your sleep. Did you have a nightmare?”

She delays giving a response, choosing to look around first. Just like in the dream, she’s lying on the couch, recalling feeling really exhausted from work and not bothering to go to her room first and it seems that she fell asleep.

“Yes I did,” she answers, extremely glad that it was just a silly dream but to be safe, she asks, “By any chance, do you have any news?”

Puzzled by her sudden question, Sehun just shakes his head and Kyungsoo’s smile widens.

“Luhan noona told me to tell you to go over to their place though,” he tells her a few seconds later, having just remembered the reason he went to look for her in the first place.

“Ah, okay,” she murmurs, getting up immediately, heading straight towards her room to change.

She had suspected the reason for Luhan wanting her to be there is to talk about the ‘making Jongin jealous operation’ since they couldn’t talk more about it the night before, Kyungsoo complaining of hunger and what not.

When she gets there, she finds out she’s absolutely right. Come on, that much is obvious. What she didn’t expect though is for Luhan to yank her (yes, again with the force, as if Kyungsoo can’t walk on her own) once the door is opened towards the dining room where Yixing is waiting, numerous types of food prepared on the table.

“Ta-daa!” she hollers, dimpled smile and all, “So you won’t complain of hunger anymore and we can talk uninterrupted.”

“We’re so very thoughtful, aren’t we?” Luhan quips, beaming with pride.

Kyungsoo cannot disagree, her empty stomach won’t allow it, so without hesitation, the girls dig in their food, talking once in a while but nothing to do with Jongin yet.

Once they’re finished, and as always, Yixing offers to clean up, ordering Luhan to start their discussion without her first.

Now feeling rested and well fed, Kyungsoo really have no other excuse but to stay and listen to what they have to say. So she complies when Luhan suggests they go sit at the living room, which is really just a few steps away from the dining table where Yixing will still be able to hear them.

“So, what do you think of our plan?” Luhan starts, hugging a small pillow tightly, making her look more like a child.

Kyungsoo hums softly, she had thought about it all night, hence the reason she’s so exhausted by the end of the day, and to be honest, despite the clichéd setting and all, she thinks it isn’t such a bad idea. It doesn’t hurt to try right?

However, there is one thing that is niggling at the back of her mind, so before signing the imaginary contract, she decides to bring it up first, “What makes you so sure this will work? For him to be jealous, he must like me first right? And I don’t think he does.”

Luhan barks out a laugh even before she gets to finish her sentence and Kyungsoo hears Yixing scoffing loudly over the sound of the running water, as she looks at them both back and forth, “What’s so funny?”

“Oh my, Kyungsoo,” Luhan pants, still laughing, “You’re so thick. I sometimes wonder how did you become a teacher.”

“Hey!” Kyungsoo protests, but her whining gets ignored.

“He clearly likes you, trust us,” Yixing says, sitting herself down next to Kyungsoo, patting her head in the process as if it’ll help make her believe.

It’s Kyungsoo who scoffs this time as she looks at them incredulously, “Yeah, right.”

It’s all an act though, it’s not like Kyungsoo never thought that Jongin likes her back but she doesn’t want to get her hopes high. Being in denial is just a way to protect herself.

“Just believe in us okay,” Luhan insists, and Kyungsoo thinks that’s the first time she hears Luhan say something so sincerely.

“Fine,” she gives in at last, smiling slightly, “If you say so.”

The models cheer immediately, “Great! Let’s make this work girls!”

Yixing then pulls them both into a hug; it’s awkward, with Kyungsoo being squished in the middle and the other two girls oblivious to her distress but the smile on her face never leaves.

When she’s given space to breathe again though, she suddenly remembers another important matter that she absolutely needs to bring forth, “Wait, does Chanyeol know about this?”

“Y-yes he does, don’t worry about it,” Luhan states. Kyungsoo doesn’t notice the stuttering or the lack of eye contact however; too busy looking forward to the ‘project’.

From then on, they make plans, which really isn’t so much of a plan because it just consists of the models inviting Chanyeol over to their place and Kyungsoo hanging out there, announcing it to Jongin beforehand first.

They decide to initiate their plan the next night, so right after work and finishing her dinner quickly, Kyungsoo casually announces at the dinner table where her three roommates are still eating that she will be going next door to see Chanyeol. She doesn’t forget to smile shyly to add to the girl crushing on someone look.

As predicted, Kris and Sehun don’t even bat an eyelash as they wave her off, more interested in their food. Jongin on the other hand, drops his spoon into his bowl of soup, making some splatter on his shirt and face but he doesn’t seem to notice or even care as he looks at her with wide eyes, stuttering, “W-why?”

Inside, Kyungsoo feels elated because she sees it now, Jongin does seem to be disturbed by the fact. He even subconsciously pushes his chair back, as if wanting to follow or maybe even stop her. That’s enough to make her smile.

But she pushes the thought aside, falling back into her act because it isn’t time to be celebrating, as she shrugs, “Just because.”

She doesn’t turn around when she leaves, but she hears Kris says, “Yah Jongin, are you done eating? Can I have your food then?”

To hers, Yixing and Luhan’s disappointment however, Jongin doesn’t follow her and throw a fit. They were hoping, okay maybe just Kyungsoo, that he’ll come bounding and forcefully throw her over his shoulder and carry her back into their apartment where he’ll do the unspeakable. Ehem.

Chanyeol doesn’t seem to sense the stiffness in the air, as he continues on telling Kyungsoo about his first runway show. Kyungsoo listens, not necessarily just to be polite, Chanyeol isn’t actually boring so why the hell not, right. And besides, it’s not like he doesn’t know why she’s there, Kyungsoo reasons.

The second night goes slightly better. Due to the failure of their first attempt, Luhan suggests, more like orders Kyungsoo to have dinner at their place instead, informing Sehun by text because telling Jongin directly is way too suspicious, stupid or not.

Chanyeol is already there when Kyungsoo arrives, and he smiles brightly at her when he sees her. Kyungsoo smiles back, feeling warm all of the sudden because wow, what a welcome.

He then sheepishly tells her that the food that’s prepared on the table were brought by him, taken away from his favourite restaurant, and he adds, “I’ll bring you there next time if you want.”

“Where?” a voice says, it’s familiar and Kyungsoo knows whose it is without having to turn around but the harshness in the tone surprises her a little.

Chanyeol looks up from his seat opposite her as he smiles warmly, “Oh Jongin-ssi, right?”

Kyungsoo glances at him, impressed that despite never been introduced formally, Chanyeol manages to catch some names mentioned in their conversations and matching the faces correctly.

Before Jongin could say anything else, Luhan cheerfully jumps in, “Yes Chanyeol-ah. This is Jongin. He’s one of Kyungsoo’s roommate.”

“Ah,” the male model says, standing up immediately, walking around the dining table to come face to face with Jongin, offering a handshake.

Kyungsoo finally turns around, it’s a show she doesn’t want to miss, but when she sees Jongin, her heart tugs a little. It’s the first time she sees him since she left after dinner the night before, having gotten back late and then going out with the girls the whole of that day, it's the weekend after all.

He looks sad. There is no eye bags or sunken cheeks to support that fact, but his eyes tell everything. Kyungsoo is not being deep or anything but she thinks she only sees blankness in those orbs. When usually it shows excitement, happiness, anger or recently, confusion. Now, there’s nothing.

It takes a nudge from Luhan for Jongin to finally offer a hand as well, gripping Chanyeol’s tightly. If she hadn’t been feeling empathetic for Jongin, Kyungsoo would have swoon at the manly handshake.

“Where do you plan to bring Kyungsoo?” he asks again, almost growling, after letting go of the other man’s hand.

Chanyeol looks at Kyungsoo, unaware of Jongin’s not so subtle glare as he replies, “To this restaurant near my place. I bought take away from there actually, you can have some if you want? I bought more than enough.”

Jongin seems taken aback by the offer, perhaps he was expecting a fight to break out instead of a gracious food offering, and he opens his mouth to answer but once again, is cut off by Luhan, “No I don’t think that’s necessary. You guys bought food anyways, right Jongin?”

He doesn’t know what to say after that as he regards Kyungsoo, who looks back apologetically. She knows Luhan means well and isn’t doing it to spite Jongin, not really, so Kyungsoo just smiles and remains silent.

“Y-yeah we did,” he finally says once he finds his voice and Kyungsoo looks away, before he wheels around and leaves the apartment.

Kyungsoo loses her appetite after that, even though the food is calling her name, she imagines they are because gosh, they do look yummy. She forces herself to eat a little though, this time really just to be polite.

--

They decide to take a break on Sunday night. Luhan complaining that she doesn’t have time for her baozi anymore because of this project. Kyungsoo had retorted with a what’s a baozi, to which Luhan gasps, mocking hurt and Kyungsoo continued, “You’re the one who suggested this!”

To be honest, Kyungsoo thinks Luhan is just feeling guilty towards Jongin. Are they being too mean? Yes, maybe. Should they stop? Ummm… not yet?

Kyungsoo is happy however, for the first time in three nights, she gets to actually spend time and relax in her own apartment. There is no need to act all sweet in front of Chanyeol, although technically she wasn’t acting. She is sweet.

She’s happier when Sehun slumps next to her on the couch while she’s watching a random show on TV, grumbling, “Noona, I missed you.”

She loses her grip on the remote control as a result, everyone in the apartment lose their motor function when shocked it seems, “You did? I missed you too.”

He nods cutely, scooting closer to her, grabbing the pillow she’s hugging and before she can complain, he puts it on her lap, laying his head there immediately.

Subconsciously, Kyungsoo runs her hand through his hair, smiling down at him. She meant it when she said she missed him. All her roommates really, but the other two aren’t there at the moment so she pays full attention on this one.

“How have you been Sehunnie?” she inquires, before looking up to continue watching the TV, hand still busy the younger’s hair.

“Nothing much. Life’s been pretty boring actually.”

Kyungsoo hums, looking at him again but just when she’s about to focus back on the television, she remembers something.

“Sehun-ah, why aren’t you always next door anymore?”

He opens his eyes, Kyungsoo never realising he closed it in the first place, as he begins to whine, “It’s annoying.”

Kyungsoo stops her ministration on his hair abruptly, ignoring his consequent frown, “What’s annoying?”

“Luhan noona won’t stop talking about this Minseok guy she’s crushing on.”

“Oh.”

“I went there three nights ago actually, before I found you asleep here, remember? And yeah, believe me when I say she never stops! And they aren’t even official yet,” he whines again.

She hums in understanding, before asking cautiously, “Are you okay?”

“Why won’t I be?”

Kyungsoo looks back down, figuring there’s no point in trying to watch the TV anymore, she doesn’t know what’s going on anyway, “Don’t you like Luhan unnie?”

Kyungsoo expects a blush, eyes avoiding her or a change of subject even, but Sehun laughs out loud instead, sputtering some spit on her neck, “Did you really think that?”

Puzzled, Kyungsoo nods uncertainly. He laughs uncontrollably again and Kyungsoo leans all the way back this time to avoid any more unwanted spraying.

Once he’s calmed down enough, which takes quite a while, he blurts out, “So you thought I always go there because I like her?”

She nods again.

“No, of course not. You see, Jongin hyung and I thought that it’d be cool to hang out at a models’ house you know. Something to show off to our colleagues,” he explains, reaching out to grab her hand and placing it back on his head, motioning for her to continue his hair, “But now since she won’t stop blabbering on and on about that dude, it gets annoying. That’s why I stopped going there.”

“Huh.”

She finds it funny how she never asks him this and always makes assumptions, turns out she’s wrong after all.

“So Jongin doesn’t like her too? Or Yixing unnie maybe?”

He shakes his head as a response, but thinking better of it he adds, “Besides, he has Soojung now.”

That dampens her mood considerably and Sehun closes his eyes once more, figuring their conversation is over. Switching off the television, Kyungsoo closes hers too.

The next thing she knows, she’s shaken awake by Sehun, the second time that week already, “Noona, wake up!”

Still slightly unconscious, she grunts, “I’m up, I’m up. What happened?”

She doesn’t recall having a nightmare or any dream for that matter, but then it’s easy to forget dreams, so perhaps she’d been whimpering in her sleep again?

“Did I have a nightmare?” she prods when Sehun doesn’t reply.

He shrugs innocently, “No. I woke up first and saw you peacefully asleep. I got bored, so…”

“You piece of !” she shrieks, it’s to her advantage that Sehun is still lying on her lap so she takes the chance and quickly grabs another pillow and smothers his face in it, laughing maniacally all the while.

Unfortunately for her, or maybe not, Kris comes into the scene, mouth agape as he witnesses his roommate attempting a murder, “Woah, woah there Kyungsoo. I’m pretty sure Sehun deserves it but you don’t want to spend the rest of your life in prison for it. He’s not worth it.”

Kyungsoo smirks but removes the pillow from Sehun’s face nonetheless and retorts, “I don’t think I’ll go to prison. We can just say he suffocates himself. The police won’t even know it, you won’t sell me out anyway, right oppa?”

Mirroring the smirk on her face, Kris sits down on the other sofa, “You’re right.”

“Hey, what’s wrong with you two!” Sehun wails in a hurtful voice, but the curve of his lips betrays his anger, “You will miss me if I die!”

Both Kyungsoo and Kris laugh and Sehun smiles wider now, seeing that they do not oppose his statement either.

Just like earlier, Kyungsoo decides to find out about her other roommate’s well being too so she asks, “Oppa, how have you been?”

Sehun sits up at last and Kyungsoo realises belatedly that her thighs are aching but she doesn’t voice her complaint as they both wait for Kris’s answer.

“Same old, same old. Nothing happening.”

“You’re boring hyung.”

Kyungsoo chuckles immediately as she joins in the teasing, “Yeah, what happened to Kevin?”

She sees Kris’s neck reddening and her grin widens as he replies, “He’s on hiatus right now.”

“Is he really? Or perhaps he’s in looovveeee?” she says, making sure to drag her last word so it sounds even more aggravating.

The blush has crept up to his face now and Sehun seems to note it too as he laughs at him, “Hyung, is that true?”

“W-what? No!” he stammers, large hands flailing exaggeratedly, “Kevin doesn’t fall in love.”

“Riiight, then who was it you brought on that date last weekend? As I recall, Kevin doesn’t do dates either.”

Gaining back control of himself, Kris glares at them, “No one!”

“Fine,” Kyungsoo gives in, though smirking all the while, “I’ll have to ask her myself.”

“Wait, no! Don’t ask Joon-“

Realising his mistake, Kris’s flush comes back once more and the other two laugh even louder, high fiving each other obnoxiously, infuriating the elder further.

They stop teasing him not long after however, reasoning that he’s still too young to die of high blood pressure. Eventually they fall into light conversation, and slowly Kyungsoo’s longing to hang out with her roommates is recompensed.

But it’s not enough.

What her heart desires comes before she knows it as they pause mid-conversation when they hear the sound of keys clanking just outside the front door. Soon appear Jongin, looking tired and Kyungsoo just wants to go towards him and hug him tight, willing to transfer all the extra energy she gained from the short nap.

She decides to do just that, slowly pushing herself up but her is only a few inches from the couch when another person comes through the door – a pretty girl she’s never seen before.

Kyungsoo falls back into the couch then, Sehun doesn't notice her movement, too busy scowling.

When Jongin spots his three roommates, his gaze falling on Kyungsoo last and longer, he smiles, “Hey, good, you’re all here!”

He proceeds to pull the girl by the arm then, making her stand next to her as he continues, “Meet Soojung, my girlfriend.”

“Hi,” Kris says. Kyungsoo barely manages to croak out a similar greeting, while Sehun just waves at her half-heartedly.

Soojung is really pretty. Sehun did say she is but Kyungsoo didn’t expect her to be that pretty. Her long hair looks smooth; Jongin must like to run his hand through it she thinks. She’s taller than Kyungsoo it seems; it must be easy for Jongin to wrap his arm around her shoulder. Her smile is beautiful too; Jongin can never get bored of it, can he?

Why the heck did it take so long for him to say yes to her then?

Too busy drowning in jealousy, Kyungsoo doesn’t realise that the couple have moved on towards them, Jongin occupying the space next to Sehun and Soojung sitting on the other empty chair.

Being the only other girl in the room and since it just seems like the right thing to do, Kyungsoo smiles politely, “Nice to meet you Soojung-ssi. I’m Kyungsoo. Jongin talks a lot about you.”

It’s a lie, of course. Kyungsoo doesn’t know a thing about Jongin’s girlfriend since he doesn’t actually talk about her a lot. She is just following standard social protocol.

Soojung smiles politely back, “Oppa talks a lot about you too.”

Kyungsoo would have been happy to hear that but since she had lied through her teeth, there is no reason for Soojung to be telling the truth either.

“No, I do not,” said man interrupts, looking down at his feet bashfully.

The silence that follows is heading towards the awkward zone; so Kris decides to break it, “Let me get you a drink Soojung-ssi. What would you like?”

“Anything is fine,” she returns sweetly.

Kyungsoo wants to hate her like teenage girls hating on a girl idol who dares say their bias is her ideal man, but how can she when she’s this sweet and lovely.

There’s a flurry of movement afterwards, Kris walking towards the kitchen to fulfil his offer, Sehun following after him for no reason and Jongin announcing that he’s going to his room first to change.

Kyungsoo smiles again at Soojung, it’s getting awkward now that it’s just the two of them, although Sehun and Kris are still visible from where they are sitting.

What do you say to your so-called nemesis? Give insincere compliments, hiding jibes here and there? Kyungsoo doesn’t really know how to do that however. But then she doesn’t really need to talk to Soojung anyway, who cares about making good impressions? So she keeps quiet, throwing forced smiles once in a while.

Kris shouts in the middle of their non-conversation however, “We’re out of ice unfortunately, so I’ll just go next door and ask for some alright?”

Before Kyungsoo can give a response, Sehun’s voice echoes through the living room, “I’ll come with him, umm… just in case.”

“Okay!” she finally manages to shout back.

When the silence envelops them once more, she begins to wonder why is Sehun so adamant in avoiding Soojung. She doesn’t seem so bad.

“Kyungsoo-ssi,” said girl says when it’s really just the two of them alone, “I hate that Jongin talks about you a lot.”

Okay, maybe not.

Kyungsoo eyes widen and her jaw slacks. First of all, gone was the sweet and soft voice Soojung uses earlier, and is replaced by a sharp and almost harsh tone.

Secondly, ooo Jongin actually does talk about her a lot? Kyungsoo blushes, social standard be damn because blushing in front of your crush’s girlfriend while she’s talking about him talking about you is definitely isn’t appropriate.

“Kyungsoo-ssi,” Soojung calls again, when all she does is stare at her blankly.

“Huh? What?” Great, what an intelligent comeback.

“Can you make him stop?” she demands forcefully.

Kyungsoo looks at her with wide eyes again, and not because it’s her signature look but she really is confused, “How would I do that?”

 The other girl rolls her eyes and Kyungsoo automatically rolls hers too, smirking because her eyes are bigger and so her eye rolling should be more intimidating right?

“I don’t know,” Soojung sighs, frustrated.

Feeling sympathetic, because Kyungsoo is sweet, ahem, she offers, “I’d help if I know how Soojung-ssi. It’s Jongin’s mouth, it’s not like I can gag him.”

Soojung gasps at her then and Kyungsoo berates herself, why does she always get herself in this type of predicament?

“I don’t mean it that way,” she murmurs in an attempt to redeem herself.

“I know, but whatever,” Soojung glares at her again before continuing, “There’s no guy who would want you anyway, let alone Jongin.”

Ouch, that stings.

Seriously, what is with this girl? It’s her fault she can’t control her own boyfriend isn’t it? Why is it Kyungsoo’s problem that Jongin can’t stop talking about her? Somehow, Soojung manages to push all her buttons despite only meeting her and Kyungsoo has had it. Screw being sweet, she’ll have to have a bath in honey later on.

“I’ll let you know-“

“That she has men vying for her attention! I’ve been trying to sleep with her since forever, but because she isn’t a , unlike someone, she rejects me each time!”

Kyungsoo’s jaw drops for the umpteenth time as she turns to look at Kris, who marches angrily towards them, pulling her up and wrapping an arm around her shoulder protectively once he’s close enough.

Another voice rings through her ears next, this time it’s Sehun’s, “And I have been in love with her for a while now. Don’t embarrass yourself further now Soojung, because Kyungsoo here is any man’s dream.” He stops next to her, circling an arm around her waist, trapping her in between the two men.

At the fact that she’s been overheard, Soojung flushes deep red, obviously ashamed she’s been caught. Her eyes immediately stray towards the direction of Jongin’s bedroom but thankfully for her, her boyfriend isn’t there yet and won’t walk in suddenly announcing his love for Kyungsoo too.

Kyungsoo wraps an arm around Kris’s waist and rests her head on Sehun’s shoulder. It may seem like she’s going along with their act when really, though she might never admit it, she had felt down and she needed the comfort.

Then out of the sudden, they hear the front door open, and in comes Chanyeol, panting heavily, smiling widely when he sees Kyungsoo, uncaring that she’s sandwiched in between two men.

“Hi Kyungsoo-ssi,” he greets, still breathing heavily, “I’m sorry I barged in suddenly. I saw your roommates entering so I quickly followed and the door is opened.”

All eyes in the room point at him. Jongin too who just comes out of his room, stops in his track when he sees Chanyeol, glowering when he sees the state of his roommates.

“Did Luhan unnie invite you again?” Kyungsoo asks softly, because she’s pretty sure tonight’s supposed to be their ‘night off’.

“Oh, no,” he replies sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck, “I just thought for once we should hang out outside? I hope you haven’t had dinner yet?”

Kyungsoo is pretty sure Chanyeol hadn’t heard Soojung’s outburst so he must be serious. Soojung who doesn’t know any better fumes and Kyungsoo happily imagines smoke coming out her ears.

“I haven’t,” she responds and Chanyeol’s face lights up but Kyungsoo raises her free hand, “But I feel like staying home tonight actually. I missed my roommates.”

“Oh,” he pouts, “okay.”

Guilty that he comes all the way from wherever he lives, her conscience kicks in, “You can stay here for a bit if you want?”

That brings back the smile on his face as he nods eagerly.

Meanwhile, noticed by no one, two people are rapidly turning into green-eyed monsters, for different reasons.

Jongin snaps at last, “Soo,” halting when both Kyungsoo and Soojung turn to him, “Soojung, let’s go. I’m ready.”

Putting the sweet smile back on her face, Soojung follows after him, never looking back. Jongin does though, giving Kyungsoo a longing look before disappearing behind the door.