7

Not So New Girl

It turns out what Sehun predicted, despite the ridiculousness of it all, came true. Jongin does stop avoiding her and is now being all civil. When Kyungsoo sees him the next morning, after having slept a little by the way because ugh the image of Jongin with another girl keeps coming up in her sleep, he greets her a good morning casually, smile plastered on his handsome face. Their fight seems to have never even happened.

Still half conscious, Kyungsoo greets him back, barely registering what’s happening. Jongin is sitting on the stool next to hers, eating what looks like a pancake, but scrambled. Kyungsoo recalls in her dazed state seeing a used pan on the stove earlier and fights back a chuckle. So Jongin had tried and failed in his attempt at making pancake, poor boy. But no, it’s not the time to feel sympathy for anyone but herself because she’s still feeling bitter.

“So Kyungsoo, did you hear from Sehun?” he asks suddenly, startling her because she didn’t expect him to say anything else other than the cheery good morning, “Wait, maybe you have. It’s Sehun after all.”

He doesn't give her any time to respond as he continues, “I have a girlfriend now. Her name is Soojung, she’s a dancer too.”

The smile that comes with the statement is too bright for her taste. If this is before last night it would have made her melt like icebergs in the Arctic but obviously knowing the reason behind it now, she’d rather push it away off her face, with more than enough force.

She doesn’t know what he’s expecting by telling her all this other than to smile pleasantly at him, but her words from two nights earlier about her not giving a damn about his business ring in her mind and make her think twice. This is the perfect moment if any for her to show that’s the opposite from the truth.

So like the good caring roommate she is, she smiles and adds, “That’s great Jongin. I’m happy for you.”

By now she’s expecting a Baeksang in her next mail because Jongin seems very convinced by her act as he smiles too, although the reaction comes just a little slower, “Thank you Soo.”

Luckily for her after that, though she doesn’t let him hear her relieved sigh, he changes the subject to Yixing, who texted Kris, who told him that the girls are coming back later that evening. Kyungsoo smiles again, but this time it’s actually genuine, happy that there will be a distraction.

Because right now, that is what she needs. To push away thoughts of Jongin in a relationship and moreover, adding salt to the wound, the fact that he seems happy too. Though most importantly, she wants to get rid of the thoughts of her being unwanted. Seeing Hyunsik again and now losing the chance of being with Jongin all in the same week eats her self-confidence away.

Frankly speaking though, seeing two drop dead gorgeous models won’t help at all but Kyungsoo’s logic has always been twisted anyway. Point is, they’re her friends and having them close may help relief her stress. At least that’s what’s she’s hoping for.

--

Unlike the previous night, Kyungsoo does not let her students out early. She won’t risk being lectured by the principal or even by the students’ parents because she’s supposed to go the extra mile, remember? But to be fair, she doesn’t actually want to go back either.

Well, she has to eventually but at least not until later that is.

When the inevitable time to leave comes, she sighs, groans, whimpers and whatever other exasperated verbs there is, taking longer than necessary to pack her stuff. Some of the students that still linger in the classroom eye her strangely but she just gives them a reassuring smile. They don’t need to add their teacher’s misfortune to their own long list of things to think about. Assuming they care that is and that they’re still there not because Kyungsoo still has yet to hand them their books. Such compassionate students they are.

She takes an even longer time to get back home, purposely missing the train that’ll bring her back. And the one after that. Thankfully, or maybe not, Jongin doesn’t bother her with texts inquiring her whereabouts. She begins to believe that perhaps he really did was just letting all his frustration on her last weekend.

She had received a text from Sehun earlier, just before she left the school, telling her that they’re having dinner at Luhan’s place, like they always do on the models’ first night back. She doesn’t bother going back to her own apartment first to drop her things off because to be honest, she’s actually starving. That’s what she gets for delaying her return really.

Unlike the last time, it’s Yixing who opens the door for her, who shows a dimpled smile before hugging her tight, “Kyungsoo! You’re here!”

Kyungsoo hugs her back, as tightly, needing all the comfort she can, “Sorry I’m late unnie. Busy at work lately.”

“Aww, poor you,” she sympathises, pulling her inside straight towards the dining room where Luhan and Kris are seated at the dining table.

When she spots Kyungsoo, Luhan immediately raises up from her seat, enveloping her in a yet another tight hug.

“Unnie!” Kyungsoo squeals, “How are you?”

“I’m good. Let’s talk later,” she says quickly, pushing Kyungsoo down to sit next to her roommate, “Eat first!” Kyungsoo chuckles but doesn’t object.

Too busy filling her stomach and listening to Kris and the models’ conversation, only contributing once in a while, she forgets to ask the whereabouts of her two other roommates. Only when she’s cleaning the dishes, with the help of Yixing who insisted because no way I’m letting my guest do the work alone she says, does she get the chance to ask, “Where are Sehun and Jongin?”

Broken from whatever reverie she’s in, Yixing mutters, “Oh, they went to Luhan’s room as soon as they finished eating earlier.”

“Oh,” Kyungsoo hums, contemplating on asking what are they doing there but at the same time worried that she might seem intrusive, but since it’s Yixing and she doesn’t know what’s going on half of the time anyway, she asks, “What are they doing there?”

“Um I don’t know. Let’s go and see shall we?” Yixing suggests, as she puts the last of the plates on the dish rack.

Hesitantly, Kyungsoo follows her, belatedly realising that Luhan and Kris are not at the dining table anymore. No wonder it’s been too quiet.

They found not just Sehun and Jongin in the room, but also the other missing two, all sitting on the carpeted floor, since Luhan’s bed is out of bounds and all.

All three guys are watching something on Luhan’s laptop, and from the sound of it, it seems they’re watching a fashion show, probably the girls’ latest one. Kyungsoo rolls her eyes, remembering Yixing mentioning modelling for a new lingerie line. No wonder Kris doesn’t even bother closing his mouth.

Sensing the presence of the newcomers, Sehun and Jongin both look up from the screen. The former smiles at her quickly and greets, “Hi noona!”

Jongin on the other hand smiles longer and he stares at her even longer, and unconsciously Kyungsoo starts to fidget nervously, “Hey Soo. Did you eat yet?”

She nods, afraid that if she speaks it’ll come out all squeaky, before taking the empty spot next to Sehun, ruffling his hair affectionately in the process, missing someone’s frown from Sehun’s other side.

“So what’s new?” Luhan bellows suddenly, taking her laptop from Sehun’s lap, effectively grabbing everyone’s attention.

Kris complains like a child he isn’t, “We’re not done watching yet!” But when Luhan glares at him, he immediately shuts up. There is no question really why Kyungsoo looks up to Luhan so much.

When no one says anything, Luhan who has obviously been waiting for this moment says excitedly, “I have something to announce!”

On the corner of her eyes, Kyungsoo sees Yixing sighing heavily. She smiles because someone seems to have heard whatever Luhan is going to say over and over again.

“I met a guy in Japan!” Luhan squeals loudly and Kris slowly scoots away from her, “He is so cute! Like oh my gosh, I just want to squeeze his cheeks all day long!”

Luhan then goes on telling them about this new guy she met and Kyungsoo listens attentively. She chances a glance at Sehun at one point however, the protective side of her taking over because doesn’t he have a crush on Luhan?

But to her relief, he doesn’t look all too distraught; at least it doesn’t seem to be for that reason. All the guys in fact just look bored because this is obviously girls’ talk and they’re clearly thinking why the hell am I here and Kris stares longingly at Luhan’s laptop.

Yixing, not so oblivious anymore, notes this too so she cuts off Luhan’s continuous appreciation of her new beau, his cheeks specifically, although Kyungsoo thinks she’s going to stop soon anyway since she seems to be running out on adjectives - wait maybe not, she’s using food now, so yes Yixing does need to stop her.

“Lu,” she says softly, but it still grabs her roommate’s attention, “We’d love to hear some more but I think the boys have something new to announce as well. Or maybe Kyungsoo?”

Luhan turns red, nodding bashfully before looking at her guests, motioning them to say something.

Worried that Luhan is going to start again if no one says anything, or maybe he just wants to show off (and Kyungsoo wants to stomp around like a spoiled child), Jongin blurts out, “I have a girlfriend now. She’s a colleague from work.”

The silence that follows is unexpected. Kyungsoo is somehow glad that neither Yixing nor Luhan squeal like the girls they are at the news. In fact they just look at Jongin like he just insulted them both. What she doesn’t appreciate though is the way they turn to look at her not so subtly and worriedly. Now, what does that mean?

Clearing , Kyungsoo breaks the quiet, “Tell them more about her Jongin!”

That seems to break the spell as Luhan and Yixing both nod, although still surprised.

“Her name is Soojung. And um-“ Jongin pauses, as if only realising that he doesn’t really know much about her, “I’ll bring her to see you guys sometime. You’ll get to know her yourself.”

Kyungsoo thinks she heard Sehun mutter an oh, please spare us but she ignores it, not looking forward to when that time comes.

Thankfully the topic does not come up anymore but they stay in Luhan’s bedroom longer, playing scrabble, for real and no ual innuendo implied. The hour long game consists of numerous yet unavoidable bickering of hey that’s not even a word, followed by it is in my dictionary, thanks to Kris, who insists on a certain dirty word that must not be named, complete with obnoxious raising of the eyebrows.

When they finally run out of letters to use, Kris stands up abruptly, announcing that they should be going back and let the girls rest. Sehun, Jongin and Kyungsoo all agree and simultaneously raise their hands up towards Kris, giving him their most pitiful look. He eyes them three and contemplates, before taking Kyungsoo’s hands and pulling her up as she cheers. Sehun and Jongin grunt, having to push their pathetic self up themselves.

But just when they all start to head out of the room, Kyungsoo feels a soft hand grabbing her arm and when she turns around, she sees Luhan’s smiling face, “Kyungsoo, stay please.”

Surprised by the invitation, Kyungsoo doesn’t think and just nods. Her roommates look at Luhan strangely but say nothing as they wave goodbye and leave.

Once they’re gone and Kyungsoo remains rooted on the spot, Luhan pulls her back further into her room and sits her on the bed. Kyungsoo becomes wary then because whoa, she’s sitting on Luhan’s bed. Either Luhan loves her very much or she just doesn’t care because whatever it is she wants to say to Kyungsoo seems very important.

Yixing who hasn’t said anything for a while doesn’t try her luck and she pulls the chair from Luhan’s desk, bringing it to the end of the bed to face the other two girls.

“So Kyungsoo,” Luhan starts once everyone’s settled, “How are you holding up?”

“What do you mean?”

Luhan sighs, “You can stop pretending to be strong now, we know.”

“Know what?” Seriously they are freaking her out.

“Aish, about Jongin. You like him right?”

Oh.

Luhan rubs her shoulder soothingly when she sees that Kyungsoo is catching on, not denying anything.

“I- I’m okay, it’s fine. How do you know anyway? Is it really obvious?” she gasps, “Do the guys know too?”

Yixing just smiles knowingly and Luhan laughs, “Yeah right. Those roommates of yours won’t be able to put two and two together even if you drool while staring at Jongin. But us girls, we know these things.”

Kyungsoo can’t help but chuckle. She has never heard anything wiser.

“Anyway Kyungsoo,” Yixing says for the first time, “We’re here if you want to talk. Jongin and that girl’s relationship, what’s her name again, Sunjong or whatever, but trust me, it won’t last long.”

Luhan bobs her head in agreement and Kyungsoo doesn’t know how can they be so sure but she accepts their sympathies nonetheless.

“How long has it been?”

“Two days ago, I think?”

“Oh that’s not too long ago then. I never hear Jongin mention about this girl at all,” Luhan remarks.

“Me neither.”

“Ah well, I didn’t know much either, but he seems happy,” Kyungsoo mumbles, not hiding the sadness in her voice, “And that’s fine with me. As long as he’s happy.”

“NOOOOO,” Luhan shrieks suddenly, startling Kyungsoo who is staring at empty space melodramatically, “You cannot be that girl who is all noble and say s like that! Next thing we know you’ll fly off to Europe and never come back until ten years later. Life isn’t a drama Kyungsoo.”

“But-“

“No buts! Kyungsoo, I will not allow it. You’re my favourite neighbour and I will help you,” Luhan snaps, “I hereby appoint myself your fairy godmother!”

Kyungsoo looks at her and all she sees is a determined girl who looks much too young to be a godmother though actually fairy-like, and she can’t comprehend how in the world will she be able to help?

Before she can ask though, Luhan abruptly stands up from the bed and walks to the door, opening it wide, “Okay girls, make your way out if you please. Chop chop! I have a Skype call to make."

--

The next day in school goes uneventfully. Well other than the incident where a couple of her students fight because apparently the guy was waiting for the girl at a café the night before for a study date but she got held back by her mom and forgot to text him. So he’s mad because of that. Kyungsoo though, a self-proclaimed love genius, can tell he was just worried for her because he likes her. Ahh young love, she sighs.

When she gets back home that evening, all her housemates are waiting for her with food, take-away of course, laid on the table. By the time she walks back into the dining room after dropping her bag in her room, the three guys are already seated and digging in their plates.

Before she can take her spot next to Jongin however, the doorbell rings and they all wonder who could it be, because no one really cares to visit them. Except maybe Kris, but his visitors are mostly girls and he always make sure that he isn’t the one to open the door because for all he knows, it could be someone holding a baby and looking for Kevin (the alias he uses with his one night stands, although it doesn’t matter really because they’d be screaming oppa he always says). That is apparently a frequent nightmare of his, the baby part that is.

To be safe, Kyungsoo sneaks a peek at the peephole first and breathes a relieved sigh to see that it’s only Luhan. She quickly opens the door but the ‘Welcome unnie!’ that’s at the tip of her tongue is cut off when Luhan hurriedly enters and heads straight into the dining room. Confused, Kyungsoo just follows after her.

“Hello everyone!” she chirps cheerfully, smile never leaving her face despite the annoyed looks all three men are giving her because their meal time is disturbed, and she motions with her hand, “Go on, enjoy your meal.”

Kyungsoo is about to ask her why she’s there but yet again she’s interrupted when Luhan yelps, hands cupping her cheeks, “Oh Kyungsoo! There you are!”

Does she think their front door is freaking automatic?

“But I opened-“

“Never mind that!” Luhan says again, “I’m here to take you away.”

That got everyone on the table’s attentions, who stop eating immediately and Jongin cries out, mouth still full, “Whut? Wherr?”

Luhan smirks. “Nowhere far. Just next door. Come on Kyungsoo,” she says, grabbing Kyungsoo’s arm and pulls her away but not before declaring, “There’s a guy I want you to meet!”

--

Kyungsoo doesn’t know the exact number but she’s sure she’s been manhandled so many more times in the past week than she has in all her 24 years of life, as she’s dragged into the apartment opposite hers.

“Unnie,” she finally voices out once they’re inside, “What are you doing?”

Luhan shushes her before giving a proper response, “Just go along with it okay?”

As expected, she doesn’t get the chance to say anything else as Luhan drags her again into the living room. There, Kyungsoo sees Yixing sitting on their couch, looking at her expectantly. It isn't Yixing that catches her eyes however; instead it’s a man standing tall in the middle of the living room, also looking at her, an unsure smile spread on his face.

“Kyungsoo, meet Chanyeol,” Luhan says, pushing her forward to stand in front of said man, “Chanyeol, meet Kyungsoo.”

From up close, Kyungsoo realises that this guy is exceedingly tall. She has to crane her neck to look at his face, which she notes is quite handsome. He’s almost as tall as Kris in fact and Kyungsoo just feels even more like a midget standing there.

“He’s a friend of ours, a model too,” Yixing adds helpfully, coming to stand next to them. Well, that explains it.

“Hi Kyungsoo-ssi, nice to meet you,” he says.

She’s taken aback by the voice, although she should’ve expected it. It’s been a woah-hang-on-there marathon for her anyway.

“Hello. Nice to meet you too.”

Kyungsoo wants to say more, like wow you’re so tall or and especially why exactly am I here? but surprise, surprise, Luhan foils her plan and places her hands on hers and Chanyeol’s backs and not so gently pushes them to sit on the couch where Yixing occupied earlier.

“Great! You look good together,” she exclaims as she looks down at them and Kyungsoo gives her a more annoyed than confused look as she orders, “Okay now you can talk.”

It’s funny how she has a lot to say earlier but couldn't and now when she’s finally permitted, she’s tongue-tied. It’s too much to take in she thinks, especially since she hasn’t eaten yet and her brain is in need of the sugar.

In less than half an hour she was taken away, more like kidnapped because she’s dramatic like that, and then immediately introduced to a guy. A model. A good-looking one. But why?

Chanyeol too seems to be in the same situation; just as confused, by the way he plays with his hands, rubbing his thighs nervously.

Meanwhile, the cause of their misery, Luhan and perhaps Yixing too, are coolly leaning on the wall, looking at them as if they’re art pieces in a museum.

Suddenly, they hear the front door opens, Luhan seems to have left it purposely unlocked by the lack of surprise she’s showing, and soon appears Sehun, looking as grumpy as ever, an annoyed Kris and a frantic looking Jongin, who has the other two’s wrists in his grip.

Like Kyungsoo earlier, Chanyeol’s presence catches their eyes, as they stand frozen not far from Luhan and Yixing, who are smiling ear to ear.

“Hey guys, nice of you to drop by,” Yixing says casually and gestures towards the man next to Kyungsoo, “Meet Chanyeol. He’s our model friend.”

“Hi,” Kris and Sehun greet at the same time. Jongin just stares with a blank face.

Chanyeol stands up instantly, bowing politely and greeting them back.

“Now, now boys, why are you here?” Luhan questions, voice not betraying the mischievousness her expression sports.

“Jongin wants-“

Sehun’s answer is cut off by said person however, who quickly clasps a hand over his mouth, “We were curious. I don’t want anything, no. Just felt like coming here you know.”

“Ah I see. In that case, now you’ve seen what’s the deal about, let’s go hang out at your place,” Luhan suggests cheerfully, pushing them out of the living room.

Jongin turns his head around in the scuffle, “But Kyungsoo-”

“She’ll accompany Chanyeol here. Now, let’s go!” Yixing says as she gives Luhan a helping hand, literally by pushing the guys away.

Throughout the commotion until it’s just the two of them in the living room, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol don’t say anything. They couldn’t because seriously they’re very puzzled to what’s going on.

Way too soon for Kyungsoo though, the awkward silence descends on them just as Chanyeol sits back down. From the corner of her eyes, she sees him glancing at her a few times, seemingly trying to break the silence.

After a few more minutes of stolen glances and imaginary cricket sounds, he succeeds, “Kyungsoo-ssi, what’s the matter with them?”

Kyungsoo grins because that question can carry a lot of meaning. Like why those people seemed so crazy? Or why three guys suddenly break into the house and are consequently kicked out? But she thinks what he meant is why is he there and suddenly introduced to her.

So shaking her head, she says, “I don’t know either. Luhan and Yixing unnie have always been eccentric. They probably just want all their friends to be friends.”

It doesn’t make much sense, she knows because Kris, Jongin and Sehun aren’t there. But that’s a good enough answer for now and Chanyeol hums.

“Luhan sunbae did say something about this being an initiation for joining the company though.”

“Did she? I wouldn’t believe her if I were you,” she chuckles, feeling slightly more comfortable now as Chanyeol laughs sheepishly too.

Later she finds that he isn’t such a bad guy and they get along surprisingly well for two people who met in such weird circumstance.

Luhan and Yixing come back almost an hour later and spot them laughing over a photo album, which Luhan immediately grabs because it may or may not contain baby photos of her.

“So you two are friends now eh?” she teases, joining them on the couch.

“You can say that,” Kyungsoo replies, smiling at Chanyeol, “This guy here is pretty funny.”

Turning around sharply to look at her, Luhan retorts, “No, there won’t be any falling for another guy. That would beat the whole purpose.”

“What are you even talking about?”

“Nothing. She meant nothing,” Yixing offers, in an attempt of an explanation, “Okay Chanyeol, it’s getting late. And Kyungsoo has work tomorrow. You guys can meet up next time.”

Besides being all shifty, the two roommates have a habit of kicking people out lately as they usher Chanyeol out who barely manages to say a quick goodbye to Kyungsoo.

When they come back to the living room, Kyungsoo doesn’t miss her chance and runs , “What are you doing? Why did you introduce me to Chanyeol? What do you mean I can’t fall for another guy? WHAT DRUG ARE YOU ON?”

Ignoring her, Yixing sits on the floor by the coffee table, switching on her laptop as Luhan slumps back on the couch next to Kyungsoo, “I said I’m going to be your fairy godmother didn’t I? I’m just doing my job.”

“But how?”

“Urgh so slow!” Yixing suddenly cries out, staring at her laptop, pressing random buttons on the keyboard.

“Seriously, are you that dense?” Luhan complains, throwing her arms up in the air, “We’re already making progress by the number of times Jongin tries to run over here if not for me holding him back.”

“Wha-“ Luhan’s sharp glare sent her direction stops her from continuing however.

And then it sinks in.

“Oh,” she mutters, mouth forming an ‘o’ shape, they want to make Jongin jealous, “Oooohhh.”

“Finally!” Yixing screams, as her face lights up from the brightness of the screen, followed by the unmistakable sound of window’s start up.

“That is so cliché!” Kyungsoo laughs, “And you say life isn’t a drama.”

 

A/N: I got an overwhelming number of comments for the previous chapter, which is great. If making Jongin do stupid things the way for that to happen then I'll make him propose to Soojung next… lol jk. But I do like to reply to those comments and talk so don’t hesitate to do so :)