13

Not So New Girl

When she wakes up the next day, the sky is already tinged in orange but the sun has yet to show itself. Her body feels sore as if it’s been abused and she knows without having to look in a mirror that her hair and face must be a mess. She doesn’t recall much of what happened the night before, only remembering being in Kris’s strong arms, crying helplessly as he tried to comfort her by whispering empty promises in her ears. What comes next is a blur.

The pain on her hips is bothering her even more now so she turns her body around to lie on her side. She sees Kris still sleeping soundly and like her, he doesn’t look that great either, weary even. He’s also shivering slightly, why wouldn’t he when he’s not wearing any shirt at all.

She lets out a groan, hand coming up to massage her temple, what happened last night?

When she still cannot remember anything, another whimper escapes, this time louder than before. Consequently, she sees some movement and she freezes immediately, not even daring to blink.

She looks down on the floor where Sehun stirs in his sleep and lets out the breath she’s holding. Thankfully, neither him nor Kris wake up from the noise she made.

The couch isn’t a comfortable place to sleep on, she discovers the hard way as she struggles to sit up. Kris too will be aching later on when he wakes up, that is if he’s lucky enough to not feel it yet in his sleep on the other couch.

Sehun on the other hand, Kyungsoo can only pray for him and his whole body.

More awake now that she’s sitting properly, memory of last night finally returns. It seems that she fell asleep on Kris’s shoulder; all the crying must have extracted the energy in her. She remembers Sehun joining them in the living room before that however, after having changed to his own clothes.

They must have decided not to carry her to her own bedroom, not wanting to risk waking her up perhaps. Kris, being the more responsible one, probably suggested that they shouldn’t leave her there alone either, which explains why they’re both sleeping there too.

Her heart swells at the thought. Even if Jongin is gone, she can still depend on those two.

Slowly, she makes to stand up and carefully steps around the still sleeping Sehun before walking towards her bedroom. She comes back a while later with blankets in tow, immediately laying them on each of her roommates. She clucks her tongue when hovering over Kris, should’ve brought your own blanket if you’re planning to sleep half , she chastises him like a mother would.

Content that at least they’re slightly more comfortable now; Kyungsoo makes her way back to her own room to shower and get ready for the day. It’s dawn, she knows, but today is the college entrance exam day. She has to leave for school early to cheer for her students and in some cases, call them personally so they won’t be late. It has happened before, so she needs to be prepared.

Once done, she checks on her roommates for the last time, finding them still asleep. She smiles gratefully, even though they obviously cannot see it, but it’s the thought that counts. She leaves a note for them just in case, and sticks it on the TV where they will never miss it before finally heading out.

She’s occupied from then on, rushing to the nearest café to get take away; she couldn’t have made something at home what with people sleeping nearby, and then finding herself lucky when she gets a seat on the train.

By the time she arrives at the school, younger students and parents alike have already crowded at the front gate, waving and shouting good luck to the seniors, who enter nervously but prepared nonetheless for the long exam.

Kyungsoo easily finds her friends in the crowd and join in the cheer. Thankfully, she doesn’t have to make phone calls that involve her yelling get your down here or I’ll personally drag you myself this time. It has happened before, don’t be surprised.

When the gate finally closes with some students sprinting towards it in the last second, the crowd disperses. Kyungsoo doesn’t realise until then that her body is actually still sore and combined with standing for hours with bodies sandwiching her, just makes it worse. She tells Baekhyun this, who is still breathing heavily because one of her students was late. Meanwhile, Joonmyun and Jongdae have gone somewhere to see the other teachers.

“You slept on the couch last night?”

“Yes, didn’t I just say that?” Kyungsoo sniffs, pulling Baekhyun away because despite the cool weather, she feels hot, “Do you want to go have breakfast? I didn’t get to eat the bread that I bought.”

Baekhyun agrees eagerly, she seems to be as hungry as her if not more. They decide to just text either Joonmyun or Jongdae because they can’t be bothered to look for them, before walking to the shop they frequent.

After ordering one of the breakfast sets, Baekhyun doesn’t waste time and asks about Jongin. “So was he in the apartment?”

Kyungsoo shakes her head dejectedly, “No. It was empty. I don’t think I missed him either, he’s just never been there recently.”

Baekhyun takes her hand, making soothing circles with her thumb but doesn’t say anything else. She probably can tell that Kyungsoo doesn’t want to talk about it, which is true.

The waiter comes back with their food at the same time Joonmyun and Jongdae arrive, the latter smiling brightly at them but Kyungsoo cannot say the same thing about Joonmyun, who seems to be avoiding looking at her.

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow in confusion, but decides not to ask her anything yet, at least not when the other two are around. They start to chatter about how they’re so relieved now that the exam has passed (for the teachers at least, their students are probably pulling their hairs out the very moment) and that they have rest of the week off.

If Baekhyun or Jongdae notice Joonmyun acting quieter than usual, they don’t point it out, possibly assuming lack of sleep to be the reason. Kyungsoo knows it isn’t because of that however, and she’s just dying to ask what’s wrong but it isn’t the right time yet.

That time comes half an hour later, thankfully she isn't dead yet, when Baekhyun and Jongdae excuse themselves, I’m going to sleep until tomorrow, don’t call the police if you don’t hear from me Jongdae says. Baekhyun only chuckles, linking arms with the other before going out the door.

 Despite ignoring Kyungsoo earlier, Joonmyun doesn’t seem to be in a rush to leave just yet, which she finds weird but just in case Joonmyun changes her mind and bolts out, Kyungsoo whispers softly, “Is something wrong unnie?”

Looking at her finally, Joonmyun’s previously blank face suddenly turns grave, her usually smiling lips are turned downwards and there’s the sign of tears escaping her eyes, “Do you think Yi- Kris oppa really likes me, Kyungsoo?”

Not expecting the question, though she can understand Joonmyun’s scepticism, Kyungsoo chooses not to answer yet, instead she presses, “Is something wrong? Why do you say that?”

“I- I don’t know,” she sobs, the tears are falling freely now and Kyungsoo is thankful that they’re mostly hidden from the other customers’ view, “It’s just- I saw him with another girl leave an apartment in Hongdae yesterday.”

“What! A girl?” she screeches, hands smacking on the table.

Joonmyun nods, Kyungsoo’s surprise only serves to add to her distress.

“Oh my, the nerve-“ Kyungsoo starts to say again but then as if someone knocks her head with a hammer, which she thinks really should happen, she starts to laugh hysterically.

Joonmyun gapes at her, the tears haven’t stopped flowing, but it might be if Kyungsoo continue to laugh any longer.

“Oh God. I’m so stupid,” she wheezes, wiping tears off her face, “I’m sorry unnie. But I am just so, so stupid.”

“I know,” Joonmyun deadpans, “But why?”

Rolling her eyes, oh no she didn’t, Kyungsoo explains, “Oppa isn’t cheating on you. I actually know the girl.  She’s err… a friend of ours, her name is Se- Seyoung.”

“A friend?”

“Yes. Just a friend and she doesn’t like men, definitely not Kris oppa, no, so you shouldn’t have to worry.”

Joonmyun nods thoughtfully and Kyungsoo smiles at the relieved sigh, “So she’s gay?”

“Err… you can say that. She likes girls. Really, really like girls. Definitely.”

If Kyungsoo thought that that would make her stop crying, she’s wrong. Joonmyun begins to sob again, her nose reddening by the minute, “I was so worried you know. I’ve fallen for him too deep and when I thought he’s cheating on me, I just- I was broken. He didn’t even call me as usual last night.”

Oops, that’s her fault.

“He was busy last night unnie, we all were,” she clarifies, but refuses to tell her the details, “But point is, he definitely likes you. I’m sure.”

Joonmyun smiles then, finally she’s back, “Good.”

“Yes, good,” Kyungsoo agrees, asking one of the waiters for the bill before continuing, “And unnie, please don’t cry again. Your face- Just don’t.”

--

She heads back home after receiving multiple blows from Joonmyun. The journey back sees her let out a few yawns, some even unladylike but she doesn’t care. She finds the apartment empty however; figuring Sehun and Kris must be at work. She falls asleep not even two minutes after she dives into her bed, not even bothering to change because she is that tired.

If it hadn’t been for her phone ringing, which she forgot to put on silent, she’d probably still be sleeping until next week, giving Jongdae a run for the money. Struggling to open her heavy eyes, she attempts to reach blindly for the stupid why won’t you shut up phone she remembers putting somewhere on the bedside table.

Once she finds it, again still with eyes half opened, she slides a thumb on the screen, hoping she’d ‘accidentally’ slide the red icon instead, but when that fails, she had to settle with bringing the phone to her ear.

“Hello,” she greets groggily.

“Kyungsoo-ssi?”

“Yesh, who is tis?”

There’s a pause and an exasperated sigh, “It’s Chanyeol.”

“Ah, Chanyeor-ssi. I’m shorry, I didn’t look at the schreen earlier.”

Apparently talking into the pillow while on the phone isn’t such a good idea, who’d ever guess, so she reluctantly flips herself over until she’s on her back and mouth free from any obstruction.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, yes I’m fine,” she assures him, chuckling a little, “Why are you calling me?”

“Umm… are you free?”

She pauses then, frowning like she’s never frowned before, he can’t see her, so she’ll do what she wants.

She is actually free if she’s being honest, but knowing Chanyeol, if she tells him that, he’ll definitely change that fact with whatever it is he wants with her. So no, she’ll lie. And besides, she kind of was planning to look for Jongin at the dance studio. Again, Chanyeol definitely don’t need to know that.

“No, I’m not. I’ve got things to do,” she answers, crossing her fingers in hope it’ll convince him.

“Oh.” He sounds disappointed but Kyungsoo will not budge. “Okay. Bye then.”

“Bye.”

Walla! She can even write a book now - ‘How To Say No by Do Kyungsoo’ - 30 000 Won.

Unsurprisingly, she finds it hard to fall back asleep after that. Not when all she can think about is seeing Jongin soon. Of course, the nap earlier helps.

When she goes out of her room, there is no Kris or Sehun anywhere in the apartment yet, which is a good sign. If Sehun’s at work, Jongin will be too. So not wanting to delay any longer, she skips lunch and head out to the dance studio.

It takes her nearly half an hour to get there and every minute that passes by, she gets more and more anxious. Once and for all, she really wants to make up with Jongin and explain everything to him. It really is just ridiculous that this argument and misunderstanding between them is dragging on with no end.

It isn’t the first time that she’s been there, having had to send homemade lunches for the boys in the past, not that she minded. So finding her way from the station to the place itself takes her no time. The security guard by the front recognises her easily and lets her in with no trouble, although he did raise his eyebrows in confusion.

She knows the way to the practice room where both Jongin and Sehun can always be found like the back of her hands but when she gets there, it’s empty save for a few people huddled in a circle, talking animatedly. They didn’t sense her presence at first but as she turns to leave once she’s sure that neither Jongin nor Sehun is one of the people, she’s stopped by a familiar voice.

“Unnie!”

She frowns, not recalling seeing her amongst the group or else she would’ve greeted her earlier, “Jinri-yah!”

“What are you doing here?” the younger girl asks excitedly, holding on to Kyungsoo’s wrist as if afraid she’ll leave without answering her.

Kyungsoo hesitates at first but thinking better of it, Jinri might be able to help anyway, she answers, “I’m looking for Jongin actually. Have you seen him? Or maybe Sehun?"

Just like the guard earlier, Jinri creases her forehead, and Kyungsoo begins to become suspicious, but her suspicion is cleared not long after, “They’re not here. They took the week off, didn’t they tell you?”

“They did?” she stupidly asks back and Jinri’s previously confused expression now turns to guilt.

“Yes. I haven’t seen them around since Monday,” she replies unsurely, getting wary of Kyungsoo’s suddenly sullen appearance.

Kyungsoo steps back unconsciously, freeing herself from Jinri’s hold, “Oh, alright. Well, I guess I’ll be leaving now then. Thank you.”

Without giving any chance for the other to stop her or even say anything else, Kyungsoo strides back to the exit, only giving the guard a slight nod before disappearing from view.

She feels betrayed. She didn’t expect it of Sehun, but he blatantly lied about Jongin going to work as usual and not telling her about his own break from work. Is she not significant enough in their lives anymore that they think she didn’t need to know these things?

Okay yes perhaps she is just a mere roommate, nothing more, but to be lied to? That’s despicable. He knows very well that Kyungsoo has been suffering enough the past week so why lie about Jongin?

Without realising, she finds herself already at the station amongst the people milling about, her body and mind has become separate entities somehow. Mindlessly, she gets on the first train that arrives, hoping that it is the one that will be taking her home.

It isn’t.

Before she knows it, she’s already on her way in the opposite direction to where she should be heading. Sighing, she can’t be bothered anymore; she exits at the next stop. She walks around lazily, passing by countless shops and cafés, just minding her own business.

That doesn't last long however because in her daze, she walks into someone but the arm that’s circling her stops her from falling backwards.

“Are you okay?”

She looks up automatically at the voice and she can’t find it in herself to be surprised anymore, he’s everywhere, “Chanyeol-ssi, what are you doing here?”

He lets go of her sheepishly, rubbing the back his neck before mumbling, “I’m shopping actually, for my sister.”

She looks down next, lips set into a thin line when she sees that his hands are empty, “You haven’t found anything?”

“No, not yet,” he chuckles, still looking embarrassed, “Why are you in this area?”

Flustered, Kyungsoo avoids meeting his eyes, saying she got lost is a bit embarrassing but telling him the truth isn’t ideal either, so she goes with, “I’m here to eat.”

By chance, she’s pretty sure it’s not intentional, her stomach grumbles, the sound loud enough for the both of them to hear. Expectedly, Chanyeol starts to laugh frenziedly, making a few eyes turn their direction as the people walk past them.

“Shhh,” she hisses, both at him and her stomach, “Quiet. This is embarrassing.”

He doesn’t stop laughing, at least not until she kicks his foot, which then makes him scream in pain instead.

When he does quieten down, Kyungsoo hasn’t even thought of an excuse to run away before he blurts out, “Want to go eat with me? There’s a good restaurant near here.”

Unable to say no, both to him and her stomach, she really is hungry, she agrees and let him lead her to said restaurant. There isn’t a lot of customers there at that time, so in the time it takes for them to be seated until the waiter comes back for the second time with their food and drinks, Chanyeol only manages to say a little. It doesn’t help that Kyungsoo only nods politely and smile at the appropriate times. She’s still feeling bitter after all.

They leave an hour later, after Chanyeol offered to pay for the both of them and after bickering with Kyungsoo who refused (weakly). They stand outside the door awkwardly, Kyungsoo trying to find words to tell him okay bye, thanks for the food and I’ll go now in a more polite manner. Meanwhile, Chanyeol just looks at her expectantly.

“Kyungsoo-ssi,” he starts, beating her to it, “Since I paid for your meal, do you think you can help me shop again?”

Damn, should have fought for the bill harder.

“Sure.”

‘How To Say No by Do Kyungsoo’ – Free of charge, take two even.

“Can we go to my place first though? I need to get something,” he tells her apologetically.

“Sure,” she repeats, letting Chanyeol drag her towards the subway station.

--

Like he told Sehun - the liar and Kris a few days earlier, Chanyeol lives in Hongdae near the University Station. It really is very close, as it doesn’t take them more than two minutes to get to the apartment complex from the station. The building is similar to theirs, except more luxurious.

Kyungsoo wonders if perhaps Chanyeol is secretly a chaebol heir going through a rebellious phase, even going as far as to joining the modelling industry. He might be, nothing is impossible really.

As the elevator climbs up to the 9th floor where he says his apartment is on, he continues to tell her what he thinks they should buy for his sister. She holds herself back from snapping at him because she freaking suggested the same things the first time they went shopping, and instead she forces a smile, “Wow, that’s actually a good idea.”

When they reach the floor, he leads the way again to what she assumes is towards his apartment. He stops in his track however once he gets closer to the door at the very end of the hallway so she too automatically slows down her steps.

She wants to ask what’s wrong but he raises a hand, though still looking intently at the door, as a gesture to keep quiet. She complies and seeing his stiff posture, she can’t help but to feel nervous as well.

She doesn’t have a good view of the door; him being what, ten feet tall and blocking her way, so she has no idea why is he acting that way. But when the door opens easily with just a push, without having to use any key or inputting in passcodes or eyeball scanning or whatever way the door should be unlocked, it dawns on her. The apartment’s been broken in.

She’s not just nervous anymore; she’s scared too as she follows him into the apartment, which is in disarray. What if the person responsible for it is still inside and is ready to attack any second now? What if he kills Chanyeol and- and sells her cheaply? Blasphemy! She should at least be a billion Won, please.

Her overly flowing imagination doesn’t get too far however as she sees Chanyeol scampering in panic around the apartment. She can only stand there shaking in the middle of the hallway. The intruder could come from behind and grab her but all she’ll be able to do is scream. If isn’t already covered that is.

But thankfully, that doesn’t happen and she’ll live to see ENDO’s comeback. Fuh. She sighs in relief when Chanyeol appears once more after coming out from the bedroom, looking very distraught.

“Is- is the person gone?” she whispers.

He doesn’t respond, not even a shake of the head, which of course gets Kyungsoo jumpy again, “What did he take?”

He keeps quiet still, walking back to the bedroom instead and coming out of it moments later, still looking tense. He growls, scratching the back of his head in frustration before fixating his gaze on her.

She steps back in surprise, as if the glare he’s sending her has physically pushed her. “W-why are you looking at me like that?”

Keeping his mouth shut but not removing his eyes away from her, he marches in her direction purposefully. She doesn’t get to react or move away as he puts something over and in seconds, all she sees is black.

--

The next time she’s awake and conscious, body weak, she hears someone calling her name. Jongin.

She wants to scream but the gag in muffles her voice. She struggles to release herself from the rope tying her hands together at the back of the chair. She can't even see, since Chanyeol had wrapped a cloth to cover her eyes.

She doesn’t stop twisting and wriggling in her seat however, and when she hears the door presumably kicked open along with Jongin’s hysteric wail of “KYUNGSOO!” she gets the strength she needed, the knot loosening little by little.

But then, suddenly Jongin lets out a painful cry and she freezes. The sound of wood breaking comes next and consequently another grunt from Jongin.

“Jongin!” she screams again but her attempt is futile, yet she doesn’t stop. is throbbing and she still doesn’t stop. She can’t. At least the sound of her own muffled screams will hide Jongin’s grunts and groans.

When at last she can’t do it anymore and as her body goes limp, she hears Jongin let out what sounds like a battle cry, followed by Chanyeol’s wail and then the sound of something smacking on furniture. There’re more unidentifiable sounds after that but Kyungsoo gets her hopes back when there is less of Jongin’s cries and more of Chanyeol’s yelps.

She tries once more to release herself, desperate than ever, and when at last her hands are free, she quickly takes off the gag and the cloth covering her eyes. She gasps loudly when she sees the two men on the floor, punching the daylights out of each other with Chanyeol on top of Jongin.

 She can’t find it in herself to scream and ask for help, or even run away because there is only one thing on her mind - Jongin, so she stands up abruptly, blood boiling and grabs the first thing that she can reach, which happens to be a vase, and hits the unsuspecting Chanyeol on the head.

It didn’t break but Chanyeol falls unconscious on top of Jongin, who groans in pain at the sudden weight. Without hesitating, Kyungsoo immediately helps him push Chanyeol off.

“Is he dead?” she mouths, pulling Jongin up as best as she can.

“He’s still breathing, don’t worry,” Jongin declares, nudging the body on the floor with his foot, “Are you okay?”

“Are you?”

He has the absurdity to laugh despite the situation, making Kyungsoo frown, so he assures her, “I’m okay. Just slight bruises, no biggie.”

You didn’t sound fine she wants to retort but is deterred when a group of uniformed and armed men rush into the apartment, crushing the broken door lying helpless on the floor even more.

Instinctively she steps closer to Jongin, grabbing his arm tightly as her eyes dart back and forth between the men. He rubs her hand to comfort her as he whispers in her ear, “Don’t worry. They’re the police.”

“Police? Why are they dressed like the FBIs?”

He ignores her question and instead he points at Chanyeol whilst looking at the men, “That’s him.”

When the men in turn ignore him, he chuckles sheepishly, “I guess they’re waiting for the official order.”

What official order she wants to say but yet again is cut off with the entrance of three more persons – a man she’s never seen before, Kris and Sehun, in yet another dress.

Not as surprised as she is at Sehun’s state, Jongin regards the unknown man, pointing again at Chanyeol, “There he is.”

Nodding, said man turns to the secret service agent- CIA- IRIS- whatever they are, “Take him away boys.”

Immediately, the group of men does as told and carries the still unconscious Chanyeol out of the apartment, leaving only the four roommates and the mysterious guy.

When nobody else says anything, Kyungsoo breaks the silence, voicing out her confusion, “What is going on? Where are they taking Chanyeol?”

The man steps forward towards Kyungsoo and Jongin then, and up close somehow Kyungsoo feels a sense of familiarity although she’s sure they’ve never met before, as he clucks his tongue, “No, Kyungsoo-ssi. That man is not Chanyeol.”

“Huh?” she gapes at him, exasperated because what is he playing at?

He doesn’t look put off by her reaction however as he continues, strutting casually around them now, “That man you know as Park Chanyeol is a fraud. He’s a notorious impostor who I’ve been hunting down for years. I’ve spent a few years in Japan looking for him, and what do I know, he’s hiding at the place least suspected.”

“AHA!” Kyungsoo exclaims suddenly, “You’re the Kim Minseok Luhan unnie met in Japan! She told me tons about you!”

Not expecting that kind of reaction either, the man – Minseok, she’s sure of it, blushes, flashing her a gummy smile, “Y-yes I am. Nice to meet you, Kyungsoo-ssi. Luhan talks a lot about you too.”

“Good things I hope,” she winks and he nods bashfully.

“Ahem,” Jongin cuts off, mildly annoyed as he nudges Minseok, “Enough. Would you please continue explaining to her?”

From a blushing boy to a serious looking man in less than three seconds, Minseok clears his throat, “Umm yes. That Chanyeol isn’t Chanyeol. His real name in fact is Lee Jungshin. He’s been stealing people’s identities for years now and this is the first time he actually stays in one place for long. I should thank you for that Kyungsoo-ssi.”

“Err… why?” she responds unintelligently.

He chuckles, stopping in front of her and putting a hand on her shoulder but quickly retracting it back when Jongin glares at him, “You stole his heart, that’s why. If he didn’t fall for you, he wouldn’t have stayed as long.”

“Wait a minute,” she gasps, thoughts running in circles, “Did Luhan unnie introduce him to me for that reason?”

“Ah no, she didn’t. Nobody knows he’s a fraud at first, she really did it to help you-,” he pauses then, as he glances at Jongin sideways before continuing, “Err, you know. We only found out he’s the guy we’ve been looking for recently. Everything else was just a coincidence.”

“Who’s we?” she asks, looking around the apartment and when her gaze lands on Kris and Sehun, she shrieks yet again, “Oh my God. Are you two undercover agents?”

Her three roommates break out into laughter at this, as Kyungsoo looks at each of them confused. Minseok thankfully just grins silently on the side.

When the laughter subsides, Sehun speaks for the first time, “No we’re not. We only helped Minseok hyung for this case since he was still in Japan. When we first suspected Chan- that guy of sabotaging you and Jongin, we told Luhan and Yixing noona about it. At first we thought it’s petty jealousy but when at the same time they discovered from their company that Cha- aish, that guy seems suspicious, we knew then something is wrong. After Luhan noona told Minseok hyung about it, our suspicion is confirmed.”

“Yes, he’s right, we’re not undercover agents. I wish we were though,” Kris remarks, draping an arm over Sehun’s shoulder, “Well we kind of did undercover work, pretending to be newlyweds viewing apartments in this building and then breaking into this place to find proof of his real identity and all.”

Minseok nods eagerly as if detecting Kyungsoo’s scepticism, “And they succeeded. You’d think he hid it somewhere safer but these guys easily found it amongst the documents in his drawer.”

“So that was you who broke in earlier?” Kyungsoo mutters, Sehun’s attire and their suspicious behaviour recently starting to make sense, “No wonder he looked so panicked.”

“Yes, that’s probably why he attacked you. I’m sorry about that,” Minseok says apologetically before turning to face Kris and Sehun again, “I never asked you to dress up as a couple though. You going as yourselves would have been fine, as long as he doesn’t see you.”

Sehun pales immediately, pointing at Kris, “But he said-“

Before he can finish his sentence however, Kris bows ceremoniously, grinning widely at the other three in present though mainly at Kyungsoo and Jongin, “Thank you, thank you lady and gents. I hope you enjoyed the show.”

“SON OF A-“

Kris has since long gone, shouting losing 20 000 Won never tasted so good as he runs away before Sehun can even take off his stilettos and chases after him.

Only when the sounds of maniacal screaming disappear down the stairs does Minseok turn away from the door, focusing back to Kyungsoo, “Um so thank you again Kyungsoo-ssi. Without you, I would have still be searching pointlessly in Japan.”

“But I didn’t-“

“Don’t say you didn’t do anything,” Jongin cuts in, pulling her closer, “You knocked him out and saved me.”

“But you-“ she falters, finding it useless to argue before changing the subject, “How did you know I was here?”

The subject of her attention (and affection) blushes as he stares at the ground like it’s the most interesting thing in the world but remains silent. Only when Kyungsoo pokes him on the ribs does he start to explain, “I’ve been following Chanyeol-“

“Lee Jungshin.”

“Yes, him. I’ve been following that guy since Monday and he’s been following you all week, what a creep,” Jongin grits his teeth but remains composed, “And when Chanyeol-“

“Lee Jungshin.”

“I know!” he snaps at last and Minseok cowers, “and when he brings you here unexpectedly just after Sehun called to tell me they found proof of his real identity, I knew something was wrong. And well, you know what happened next.”

“Ah I see,” she retorts lamely. Everything makes sense now, how Chanyeol seems to be around all the time and the fact both Sehun and Jongin took days off, Kris too most probably if she thinks about it.

As she processes the information, Jongin adds some more, as he tells her that they had no choice but to lie to her. Well he didn’t want to at first but when Kris insisted it’s for her own good, he gave in. If she knows Chanyeol isn’t really Chanyeol but instead a criminal, she’d run far away, which is quite true, that’s why they had to keep it a secret from her, just so he wouldn’t suspect anything, at least not until they get proof of his identity.

“And besides,” he adds, winking, “You have me as bodyguard.”

She scoffs but holds him closer nonetheless, breathing in his scent.

Minseok clears his throat then, shuffling awkwardly nearby, “I’ll be leaving now then. I’ll call if there’s anything else.”

“Mm’kay.” Jongin and Kyungsoo say simultaneously without taking their eyes off each other.

“I’m sorry I misunderstood,” Jongin says, pouting his lips, “I should’ve known you’d never do that to me.”

It takes her a while but when it dawns on her that he’s talking about the incident with fake Chanyeol at the bubble tea shop, she smiles, “It’s alright. Let’s make up for it.”

“Let’s make out?” he exclaims like a child given candy.

“Make up! I said make up!” she huffs, punching his chest lightly, “Did he hit you on the ears as well?”

He laughs, grabbing her wrists gently, “I know, I know but you’re so cute when flustered.”

She doesn’t struggle but let Jongin pull her in for yet another hug before murmuring in his chest, “Let’s get those cuts treated first and then we can talk or whatever you want to do afterwards.”

“Whatever?”

“Yes but nothing that involves touching me.”

“But Soo...” he whines. Kyungsoo ignores him, choosing to drag him out of the apartment instead.

 

 

A/N: (/。\)