11

Not So New Girl

Shopping with Chanyeol turns out to be as horrendous as shopping with Kris and Sehun is. Seriously what is the deal with people asking her to go shopping for her opinion but when she actually picks something, her suggestions get brushed off? She hadn’t known Chanyeol long but she did not expect him to be like that. Kyungsoo wonders maybe his likeable persona doesn’t apply when it comes to this.

She can swear on her life that they’ve been walking for hours and hours. She can’t even feel her feet and if she has to walk a few more steps, she’ll die. Okay maybe not, it’ll take more than that to kill her, please. But really, after countless stores visited, Chanyeol still hasn’t decided on what to get for his sister. Kyungsoo’s what about a purse or a bag, she’ll love that or that’s a really gorgeous dress, get that are of course ignored.

The fact that his mind is sometimes somewhere else doesn’t escape her notice. He’s always busy glancing at his watch and sometimes his phone. And when she asks him questions, he only gives short replies, which doesn’t help much for the gifts choosing process. It bothers her that she’s the only one who’s really into browsing what the stores have to offer.

Now if this is Kris or Sehun, they’ll sure get an earful from her and also some physical, yet not life threatening harm.

But alas it isn’t, and Chanyeol’s insurance company cheers in the background. For the umpteenth time she reminds herself that she’s doing this to repay him back, so she pushes away the urge to complain and question him.

Only when they’re at the 147th store, plus minus a hundred, that Chanyeol seems to get his senses back.

“Kyungsoo-ssi, are you tired?” he inquires worriedly as she tries on some shoes, for his sister of course, ahem, “It’s almost two o’clock. Let’s get something to drink shall we?”

Startled, because that’s the most he has said since their shopping trip begun, Kyungsoo looks at her own watch. “Oh, yes it is. Don’t you want to have lunch though?”

“No, I’m not hungry. I just want to drink really,” he tells her, looking up as he kneels down in front of her to take off the high heels she was trying on, “These look good on you but let’s buy it next time alright?”

She can’t help but to blush at his statement, platonic or not, a compliment is still a compliment.

They wave goodbye at the store’s assistant who hollers ‘see you next time’ before exiting, Chanyeol guiding her gently with a hand behind her back, like he’s been doing all day.

“So where do you want to go? There’s Caffe Bene near here, I won’t mind their Frappe or maybe some hot drinks, it’s getting cold after all-”

“I kind of want to have bubble tea actually,” Chanyeol interrupts, looking at her stiffly, “Do you know any good bubble tea place?”

Her forehead creases in thought; numerous bubble tea shops come to mind and it won’t be hard to decide, but she doesn’t want to walk far now does she?

“I think there’s one just two streets down. How about we go there?” she suggests, already walking ahead to lead the way.

But he stops her and grabs her arm suddenly; forcefully turning her around to face him again, “Is that place good? I want a really good bubble tea place. Do you any that people like to recommend?”

Kyungsoo is a bit taken aback by the determination in his voice, as if it’s a matter of life and death that they have to go to the best shop. Who is she to deny him of his wishes?

“In that case, there’s this really good one. Sehun loves this place, you remember him right?” He grins at the mention of Sehun and she imagines his eyes sparkling in glee, which she finds weird but continues nonetheless, “It’s not that close but since you want a really good place I guess it can’t be helped.”

Somehow after that, Chanyeol becomes his talkative self back again. Kyungsoo sighs in relief as they walk side by side towards the subway station.

She had been worried that he had been acting different because she’s progressing with Jongin but now that she thinks of it, there really is no reason for him to feel that way. He helped didn’t he? Perhaps, she reasons, there are just a lot of things in his mind, what’s with choosing gifts for his sister and all. It isn’t a guy’s thing after all.

By the time they arrive at the bubble tea shop, that by now is very familiar to Kyungsoo due to the numerous times Sehun brings her and their other housemates there, it is already half past 2.

As Kyungsoo points the entrance towards Chanyeol, excited at the prospect of quenching her thirst and finally sitting down, she doesn’t realise that he’s sticking so close to her or that the hold he has on her waist tightens.

The shop, even though famous for its delicious bubble tea and for the large variety of flavours, isn’t very large. The owner insists to keep it a humble establishment apparently. Therefore the whole of the shop can be viewed easily right from the entrance and vice versa.

As soon as they step in, with Chanyeol happily smiling down at her, Kyungsoo’s gaze immediately falls on someone she doesn’t expect to see, not until later that is. Her blood runs cold at the sight of Jongin glaring at them, jaw clenched. She can see him his hands too underneath the table where he sits.

Slowly she leads Chanyeol past the counter, ignoring the worker’s friendly greeting, choosing instead to head towards Jongin first. From the corner of her eyes, Kyungsoo knows Chanyeol saw him too by the way he smiles at Jongin’s direction.

Before either Jongin or Kyungsoo can say anything, Chanyeol clasps a hand on Jongin’s shoulder, leaving it there, as the latter’s nose flare, “Jongin-ssi, nice to see you. We just got back from shopping.”

Kyungsoo becomes speechless all of the sudden and she feels air gets knocked out of her; she’s annoyed at Chanyeol for blurting all that to Jongin. It might be unintentional, but the way he continues to chatter innocently about all the stores they go to and the things Kyungsoo suggests they buy makes her want to clamp her hand on his mouth. Shut up! she wants to scream.

But the words refuse to leave no matter how much she tries and panic starts to creep in.

Jongin’s glare that previously was on Chanyeol is now on her, and it gets fiercer and colder with each word that continue to leave Chanyeol’s mouth, “Kyungsoo brought me here when we realised we shopped for almost two hours, and before we know it, it’s almost two!”

She didn't think it possible but Jongin looks even more angered by the end of Chanyeol’s speech. He slowly removes his attention from her, back towards Chanyeol, voice low and dangerous as he says, “So you went shopping and then Kyungsoo chose to bring you here? On purpose? That’s why you’re late?”

Kyungsoo’s heart tugs at the desperation and sadness in his eyes, Jongin’s question as to why they’re late didn't make sense to her but she ignores it in favour of willing for Jongin to look her way again because hell, it isn’t what you’re thinking of.

But he fixes his gaze on Chanyeol, who nods innocently; finally letting the hand that was on Jongin’s shoulder fall on his side.

Jongin grits his teeth as he stands up, turning to face her now and Kyungsoo wants to cheer but then once again, the rage in his eyes is back and it stops her from moving or even saying anything.

“Bye,” he mutters as he brushes past them, knocking shoulders with Chanyeol, obviously intentionally.

They stand there awkwardly long after Jongin’s figure disappears out the door. Kyungsoo is in too much shock to do anything, much less register Chanyeol’s hand now on her shoulder.

A minute or so later, he breaks the silence, “Why don’t you sit down first. I’ll order something for the two of us.” He then pushes her down easily on one of the chair nearby, before walking away towards the counter.

Left alone with her thoughts, Kyungsoo’s supposed to be able to process what just happened. But she can’t. Her mind is all jumbled up and she can’t even think. At one point she was excited for bubble tea then she goes blank and scared and now confused.

She can understand why Jongin was acting like that. She can tell he’s angry that she went out with Chanyeol especially when the man boasts about it. The man he doesn’t like to be specific, Kyungsoo recalls Jongin telling her the night before. But then there’s a niggling feeling at the back of her mind that she can’t push away.

The way Jongin looked at her, mad as he was, makes her think that there’s more to it. She told him that Chanyeol isn’t her boyfriend and even though they didn’t make it really clear last night, he should know that Kyungsoo only has eyes for him.

But Kyungsoo doesn’t get the chance to think more into it, she doesn’t really want to either way as Chanyeol comes back with two orders of bubble tea. She doesn’t protest when he pushes the one that is her least favourite across the table. She drinks it just to be polite.

“I’m sorry about earlier,” he says after sipping his own drink, “I shouldn’t have told Jongin that we went shopping. I was surprised too to see him here.”

Kyungsoo notices him refusing to meet her eyes but she doesn’t have the energy to be annoyed with him anymore, “It’s okay. I’m sure we’ll talk it out later at home.”

“Good,” he nods, playing with his straw, voice monotone as he continues, “I hope things will work out. I’d hate to see you two break apart when you’ve gone this far. I don’t want my effort to go to waste either.”

Kyungsoo sobs, head falling on the table before circling her arms around it, “No, I’m sure you don’t.”

As Kyungsoo continues to whimper in despair, the sound barely audible from where her head is buried, Chanyeol’s previously sympathetic smile lops on one side, morphing into a smirk.

--

Kyungsoo dreads going back home after that. What if Jongin’s there? What is she going to say? She hasn’t figured out how to explain everything to him but that’s only because she doesn’t actually know why was he so mad.

Yes, she did go out with Chanyeol and yes, she knows he hates him but that doesn’t explain why he looks so pissed off.  And besides, not that she knows he’s going to be at the bubble tea place anyway. As if she goes there with Chanyeol to make him jealous again.

Could Chanyeol-

No, there is no way he’d know. He’s on their side isn’t he?

After finishing their drinks, Kyungsoo with great effort, because why did he have to get her that cursed flavour! they go their separate ways. When she reminds him guiltily that they still haven’t gotten anything for his sister, he just laughs it off, telling her to forget it. She lets it go hesitantly, but thankful nonetheless because there is no way she would want to go shopping with him again.

The journey back home is shorter than she wants it to be and as she waits for the elevator to arrive on their floor, she prays for Jongin to not be home because it isn’t time for a confrontation yet.

But now that she thinks of it, he isn’t supposed to be home or even at the bubble tea place anyway. Isn’t he supposed to be at work?

Relieved at the revelation, Kyungsoo enters the apartment smiling, feeling more light-hearted than before. She’s the type to cross the bridge when it gets there, so why bother now?

Turns out, the metaphorical bridge isn’t as far as she thought. Damnation.

She spots Jongin standing alone in the kitchen, a juice carton hovering over his lips as he stares at her. She refrains of course from cursing him out for that, instead she freezes on her spot, the smile long gone.

“Not your boyfriend huh?” he snarls, setting the carton on the kitchen island, “But you two looked chummy and even went on a shopping date. How sweet.”

His words are laced with sarcasm; no one will be stupid enough to miss it. Kyungsoo suddenly finds her palms sweating because Jongin is giving her the same look he had back in the bubble tea shop.

“I didn’t know you could be so cruel Kyungsoo,” he continues as he advances towards her slowly like a predator and she’s the prey, “For you to bring him to our supposed date, that’s unnecessary. If you change your mind about me, just say it to my face.”

He’s standing so close to her now. She would be swooning if it hadn’t been for the wrath that is etched clearly on his face.

Slowly though, his words registered on her mind, “Supposed date? What are you talking about?”

There is a flash of confusion in his eyes before he starts to throw his head back in mock laughter, “I knew you’re a great actor but I didn’t think you’re this good. What a joke, Do Kyungsoo.”

The use of her full name cuts through her chest. The pain is probably obvious on her face but if he sees it, he ignores it, “And to think I could hardly sleep last night, looking forward to today. Such a waste.”

Of course, before she can defend herself, he walks away, disappearing to his room.

And of course, all she can do is stay rooted on her spot, because gravity feels stronger or perhaps there’s some invisible rope tying her down to the ground or something like that. Take a pick.

And don’t forget her falling down to the floor as she mourns for her love that didn’t even get the chance to bloom.

But wait- and a disc scratches somewhere.

Kyungsoo does all that, always a drama queen, but only for a short moment. She gets back to her senses (and regains her motor function) not long after.

To hell if anyone thinks she’ll give up just like that. She’s gone this far and it’s almost over. There’s obviously something going on that she doesn’t know but she’ll be damned if she doesn’t clear things up immediately.

She’ll make up with Jongin no matter what. Nothing will stop her.

Nothing.

Except for Jongin rushing out of his room before she can get there, brushing past her coldly as if she’s air and walks out the apartment.

This time, Kyungsoo genuinely doesn’t know what to do.

--

Jongin doesn’t come back home that night. Sehun and Kris don’t suspect a thing. Who’s surprised? They don’t talk as much as they usually do though, seemingly still guilty for thinking she slept with Chanyeol, which was not necessary because she had actually forgotten about it.

Kyungsoo makes dinner despite feeling down, keeping herself busy will most likely help push away her anxiety.

When that didn’t work, she coaxes both Kris and Sehun to talk to her comfortably because they usually can cheer her up. It isn’t an easy feat though but when she admits that she has forgiven them, they finally let go of any restraints.

“Noona, is-“ Sehun hesitates, eyes locked with hers as if looking for an answer, “Is something going on between you and Jongin hyung?”

“I was wondering too actually,” Kris adds immediately.

On impulse, Kyungsoo shakes her head furiously. When she said she wants to talk, she didn’t mean talk about Jongin. That just defeats the purpose.

Kris clucks his tongue, making a show of annoyance, “I don’t believe you. Do you by any chance,” he pauses, cautious all of the sudden, “like Jongin?”

“Eh what- No. No I don’t,” she sputters, tearing her eyes away from the two guys.

“Yeah right. That sounds as ridiculous as you saying you don’t like men, noona.”

She gulps visibly as a result; there really is no point being secretive now. These guys deserve to know. So she takes a deep breath, here goes, “Yes, there’s something going on between us. I think.”

“You think?”

She nods and takes another deep breath, it isn’t as easy as she thought, “I like Jongin. And he likes me too. I think.”

“You think?” It’s Sehun this time, grinning happily for some reason.

“Yes. No, wait. He likes me, I’m sure,” she reconfirms, looking at her two roommates back and forth, “But there’s a problem. He’s mad at me but I don’t know why.”

When they start to probe deeper, Kyungsoo thinks it’s better that she tells them everything.

So she does, from when she started to like Jongin, her disappointment when he got together with Soojung, to which Sehun cuts in I knew there must be a reason he finally said yes! It must be because of you noona!

After sputtering incoherently and willing her face to cool down, she continues to tell them of her plan to make Jongin jealous with the help of Luhan and Yixing, to be cut off by Kris, “Damn, is that why those girls have been acting suspicious? I should’ve known!”

She rolls her eyes this time, no you wouldn’t have known, before going on with her tale up to last night when Jongin was in her room, about how they indirectly confessed to each other and that their first date should have been today but then disaster happened.

When she finishes at last, the room turns silent as the two guys process everything. Kyungsoo just looks at her plate, appetite gone now that she’s been reminded again of the day’s turn of events.

“Let me get this straight,” Kris says when he’s done thinking, “Jongin is mad at you because he thought you brought Chanyeol on purpose to your date to rub it in on his face that you don’t like him?”

“That wasn’t our date,” she screeches defensively, “I didn’t even know that Jongin is going to be there! He’s so busy at work that he didn’t even reply to my text when I asked him where and when to meet.”

Sehun sitting up straight all of the sudden startles her, like he just realises something, “We finished work early though. We were done around 1.”

“How was I supposed to know that? I swear it’s just a coincidence that Chanyeol suggested we have bubble tea and that Jongin happened to be there!”

Both Sehun and Kris raise their eyebrows at that but remain silent. She can tell that their minds are running, thinking about possible explanations for the situation. The only thing missing is the sound of fans whirring in the background.

She gives up talking, choosing to get up to go do the dishes. She didn’t think they could help anyway.

Meanwhile, back at the dining table, Sehun turns to Kris, forehead creasing uncharacteristically, “Do you think-“

“Yes. It could be.”

Silence envelops them again but even with the lack of words, the two are sure that this time, there is no misunderstanding as to what they’re talking about.

“Oh by the way hyung, I won. You owe me 20 000 Won.”