14

Not So New Girl

What was supposed to be a relatively short and uneventful trip back home turns out to be the other way round. Just as Jongin and Kyungsoo arrived at the lobby, where they found a smug looking Sehun, a slightly bruised Kris and an apprehensive Minseok, the latter bounced up to them in a rush stating that they all have to follow him down to the station immediately.

Jongin who no doubt watched too many action movies thought the worse, Kyungsoo did too by the way Minseok had worded it, as Jongin sputtered out almost incoherently why, we didn’t do anything, just take those two away. Thankfully Minseok cut him off quickly before somebody else gets bruised, well bruised even more, as he explained that they’re needed for their statement to help the case, not because they did something wrong.

He chuckled sheepishly then, barely dodging Kris’s large hand that was headed for his head before he took Kyungsoo’s hand and followed after Minseok.

They’ve been at the police station for over half an hour and counting now because apparently all four of them have to be interrogated separately by Minseok. Kyungsoo who went first of course couldn’t say much because she really didn’t have anything to do with the oh-so-secret-don’t-tell-Kyungsoo operation, or in her words, I’m just the helpless victim.

Sehun and Kris unsurprisingly take a longer time talking to Minseok, being the main characters and all as if they’re Sherlock and Watson. It doesn’t help of course that when Sehun is being interviewed, he gets distracted by the other detectives around them who can’t stop glancing his way. Even though he took off the wig long ago, he unfortunately didn’t have any change of clothes, hence he’s stuck with the revealing dress. If only he had any cleavage to show, it’d be sinful.

When it’s at last Jongin’s turn, his previous seat next to Kyungsoo is immediately taken by Kris, who points at the slightly purplish bruise around his eye as he whines, “Kyungsoo, look what Sehun did to me.”

Kyungsoo shakes her head in mock annoyance. She was upset the first time she saw it, not because she’s necessarily worried for Kris, it’s just now there’re one more people she needed to patch up and urgh that’s too much work. Though hopefully Kris won’t ask her to kiss the pain away just like Jongin did earlier.

“You technically asked for it.”

Kris pouts and Kyungsoo inwardly cringes, “But you have to admit, it was great wasn’t it?”

“Yes, definitely,” she chuckles, side eyeing Sehun who is glaring at any officers who so much look his way again, “I salute you oppa.”

Kris grins and when he follows Kyungsoo’s line of sight, he breaks out into a laugh. This gets Sehun’s attention who in turn switches the direction of his glare to them. Kyungsoo shuts up immediately; putting on her perpetually bemused expression as if she hasn’t been watching him and Kris hides his face in Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

Sehun lowers his eyebrows, lips pressed together as he scrutinizes them. Kris is still shaking with laughter, face buried in the crook of Kyungsoo’s neck while she makes a show of inspecting her nails. When at last Sehun turns his attention back to the officers, she covers with a hand and starts to laugh, slapping her thighs occasionally. When at one point Kris even snorts in the middle of laughing, she couldn’t help it but to laugh even harder, slapping her cheeks instead.

This time, it gets not just Sehun but Jongin’s attention too as he curiously glances back from where he’s sitting by Minseok’s desk with eyebrows raised. Only when the detective calls his name does he turn back around, but not before giving the two judging looks. Sehun just doesn’t seem to care anymore as he huffs indignantly, pulling up the dress that’s starting to show more chest than he’d like.

A couple minutes later sees Kyungsoo and Kris still laughing together, albeit less hysterically and less embarrassingly. Jongin who just completed his session with Minseok walks over to them, still looking judgmental, “What’s so funny?”

“Sehun.”

“Oh yeah. Well done hyung, I didn’t realise it was a trick,” he chuckles, giving Kris two thumbs up before pushing his head off Kyungsoo’s shoulder non so gently, “Okay now, move. We’re done here, let’s go home.”

They stand up straightaway, eager to leave and Jongin whistles at Sehun to get his attention, before pointing towards the exit. Minseok catches up to them before Kris can even open the door however, placing a hand on Sehun’s shoulder, “Thank you again guys, couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Kris says, smiling at the man, “We’ll see you around right?”

“Yes of course. I’ll come over when Luhan comes back.”

“Okay.”

 

Back home at last, which took faster than it should’ve been because Sehun insisted on taking a taxi, all four roommates forgo going to their own rooms and instead slump down on the couches in the living area.

“What a day this has been,” Kris drawls lazily, scowling when Sehun pokes at his bruise, “Go away.”

“Serves you right.”

“Kyungsoo! Look!” Kris, the eldest and the supposedly manliest whines yet again.

She just rolls her eyes, turning to look at Jongin who’s beside her but then flinching back a little because she keeps on forgetting that Jongin had it worse, “Aw look at you. I need to patch you up. Where’s the first aid kit?”

He shrugs his shoulder, pouting slightly, “I don’t know. Where is it Sehun?”

“I don’t k- oh wait. It’s at Yixing noona’s room.”

“What is it doing there? Is she like our resident first aider?” Kris blurts, laughing at his own joke.

“No,” Sehun deadpans, “She accidentally cut herself last time.”

“Oh.”

Kyungsoo sighs, waving at them to stop, “Sehun-ah, can you please get it for me? I assume the spare key is with you?”

Sehun stares at her as she keeps on waving her hands about, this time gesturing to his attire. He blushes then, “Oh right, yes. I need to return the shoes anyway, give me a minute.”

He comes back slightly over a minute later but that’s okay, it’s not like either Jongin or Kris is dying, before promptly retiring to his room to change. Kyungsoo deals with Kris’s bruise first since it won’t take her long and also in hope that he’ll go to his room once she’s done, leaving her and Jongin alone. Genius, she thinks.

Jongin watches intently the whole time and Kyungsoo could almost forget his presence if not for the occasional clearings of throat whenever she coos at Kris as he scrunches his face in pain. Kyungsoo only chuckles in response but she hastens her movements nonetheless.

When finally she’s done with Kris, he leaves for his room immediately after probably noticing the weird but not necessarily between his two roommates. Kyungsoo cheers internally as she crawls towards Jongin, ily if anyone asks, stopping to kneel on the floor while he stays flushed in his seat on the couch.

She wastes no time and starts dabbing alcohol on the multiple cuts, apologising every time he winces even though she’s doing it as gently as she can, even gentler than when she was treating Kris.

“Aish, look at all these cuts,” she fusses as the silence was starting to become unnerving, “He got you bad didn’t he?”

“Eh what? He got it bad too you know. You should’ve seen what I did to him!” he rambles defensively. Kyungsoo thinks it’s cute.

She smirks, throwing away the used cotton pads before rummaging through the kit again for some plasters, “I could hear it at least and if it makes you feel any better, when I knew you were winning, I’m glad I couldn’t see it because then I’ll be tempted to record it for future viewings.”

It’s Jongin’s time to smirk and Kyungsoo mentally berates herself for saying such things, she probably hit her head when she was unconscious.

“Future viewings huh?” he teases, forcing himself not to flinch as Kyungsoo puts a plaster on one of his larger cuts, “Why would you do that?”

Jongin’s wink does things to her insides and she tries to act as nonchalant as possible as she makes up an excuse, “F-for laughs! Yes just for laughs! At one point there’s bound to be you missing to hit him so that should be funny.”

He pouts childishly but when he smiles immediately afterwards, Kyungsoo knows he didn’t take it to heart, what she said was obviously lies.

“So you’ve been following fake Chanyeol the whole week?” she asks, hoping to change the topic. When he nods, she continues, “You’ve seen him walk me home then?”

He nods again but now with a scowl on his face. She chuckles, backing up a little as she looks over his face to see if there are any more cuts that needed to be plastered before smiling in satisfaction.

“Why would you let him walk you home?”

She shrugs casually, packing up the kit box and placing it on the table before sitting next to Jongin on the couch, “I didn’t have a choice. He came to the school without me asking, I couldn’t just ask him to leave. That’s just rude and besides I didn’t know he’s a bad person.”

“But still, you didn’t have to let him hold you close,” he grumbles softly but Kyungsoo could hear him nonetheless.

“I didn’t-“ she falters, eyes widening when she realises something, “Wait, so it was you who threw the pebble at Chanyeol when he had his arm around me?”

The tips of his ears are now red as he runs his fingers through his hair, not meeting her gaze, “Ah well, err… yes.”

She grins, nudging his sides playfully, “Aren’t you so cute?”

“I’m not,” he sputters, gaining courage to look at her in the eyes now, “I-I just thought he was going to push you off to the road! Unlike you, I was aware he’s a criminal!”

“Sure Jongin. By how tight he was holding on to me, I think so too.”

He scoffs grouchily but takes her hand anyway and starts playing with it. They don’t say anything for a while, Kyungsoo rests her head on his shoulder as he intertwines their fingers. The apartment is quiet, there isn’t any sound coming from their other roommates’ room either.

For the first time that week, she finally feels at peace. There is no more college entrance exam to worry about, she and Jongin have finally made up and all in all, everything is perfectly fine.

After about five minutes, Jongin breaks the silence, “Are you okay? Did he hurt you before I got there?”

She shakes her head, hair brushing on Jongin’s neck, “I don’t think so. All he did after I got unconscious was probably tie me up on that chair and put that blindfold and gag on me.”

“Good. I’ll personally kill him if he did anything to you.”

“That’s sweet of you,” she teases, “Do you like me that much?”

The words leave before she can process it and she almost wants to take it back if she could. Jongin too freezes as she says it and she imagines seeing his red face if she bothers to look up, but his shoulder is comfortable so she doesn’t want to.

“It’s hard to look for a roommate that cleans and cooks you know,” he fumbles out an excuse but the grip he has on her hand tightens, “And as I said once before, how would I explain it to your parents?”

“I’m sure they won’t be mad at you,” she assures him, beaming when she realises that he didn’t actually say no.

They go quiet once again, her still smiling and him staring at their hands thoughtfully. It’s as if they’re making up for lost time that they didn’t see each other days prior. She revels in the sound of Jongin’s quiet breaths and if she listens close enough, she can hear the slight hitch when she tilts her head upwards so she’s breathing on his neck or when she squeezes his arm playfully.

It’s what she’s been waiting for and more, and she decides she wouldn’t want to record Jongin punching the daylights off fake Chanyeol after all but instead, she would want to re-watch this moment over and over again.

When she snuggles closer, the distance between them just wasn’t microscopic enough, he sneers, “What happened to ‘nothing that involves touching me’?”

Flustered, she slaps away the hand that’s air quoting the statement. “Well I had to touch you to treat your wounds didn’t I? So I had no choice but to eat my own words.”

“Sure Kyungsoo,” he responds, mimicking her earlier sarcasm, “I assume leaning on to me will heal them quicker too?”

She flushes red and for once, she doesn’t have any comeback. Jongin grins wider when she doesn’t say anything or move away for that matter.

“So…” he trails and Kyungsoo can tell that he’s slightly nervous by the way he fidgets slightly, making her head slide down a little off his shoulder.

“So…”

He raises their clasped hands, gesturing for her to look at it, “What’s this?”

It’s our hands, duh, she wants to say but she swallows it down because it isn’t the right time to be sassy, so instead she lifts her head off his shoulder, “I don’t know.”

“Me neither,” he murmurs, letting their hands fall back down on his lap, “Are we together now?”

“Yes, I guess? It’s too late to change my mind.”

He almost deflates at her words but then he grins stupidly yet again when he looks up to see her beaming and staring at him.

“So are you my boyfriend now?”

“Yes, I guess?” he snickers back, laughing when she pouts, “I don’t have a choice now, do I?”

She punches his chest lightly then, groaning, “You’re stuck with me from now on, Kim Jongin!”

He lets her hit him for a while, scoffing when it gets weaker and weaker, not that it was strong in the first place, before at last he catches her wrists, “Ow! Ow! Stop!”

She gasps in panic, releasing his grip so she can rub the spot where she hit him, “I’m sorry! Where does it hurt?”

“My heart,” he purrs, pointing to the left side of his chest, “as it beats so fast when I think of you.”

She gapes, hands sliding slowly down his chest, giving him goosebumps, “You. Are. So. Cheesy.”

“I am not,” he deadpans, “I’m just in love."

For the second time, her jaw drops and her eyes widen as she stares at him, looking for any sign to show that he’ll give an excuse just like earlier but when his expression remains serious, anxiously waiting for her response, she smiles.

“I love you too Jongin.”

“I love you Soo.”

It could be seconds or hours, she doesn’t care, as they stare at each other, gazing deep down into each other souls, because that’s what people do after confessing, before she asks, “What do we do now?”

He smirks and somehow that answers her question as he caresses her cheek and she closes her eyes automatically. She feels his lips on hers a few seconds later, slightly moist from when he it.

She wants more but to her disappointment it was gone as soon as it came. It was as chaste as any first kiss could get.

She opens her eyes then and look at him, puzzled.

“Not enough?” he whispers.

She pouts, shaking her head shamelessly and that’s all it takes for him to claim back her lips, urgently and more passionately. He groans when she wraps her arms around his neck, pulling him even closer.

She too almost let out a moan when his hand starts to slide low on her back but then when she coincidentally opens her eyes and sees Kris standing frozen in the hallway, she scrambles backwards, pushing Jongin off lightly.

“Oppa!” she screeches, pitch higher than normal. Jongin turns around immediately, thankful that there is a reason for her behaviour.

Kris smirks as he walks towards them, not guilty at all that he interrupted their moment, “No in the living room please.”

“But-“

“We weren’t going to!” she blurts, cutting off Jongin, aware that her lips are probably swollen but she tries to act casual anyway, “Why are you here oppa? Were you creeping on us?”

“Right,” he scoffs, pointing behind them towards the kitchen, “You should ask Sehun that.”

Simultaneously, Kyungsoo and Jongin turn their heads round and see Sehun standing behind the kitchen island, an apple on his right hand and a phone on his left, suspiciously pointing at them.

“How long have you been there?” Jongin croaks out.

“Long enough,” he says nonchalantly, putting the phone down, “You two are so pathetic.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Not my fault you didn’t see me,” Sehun drones, smiling slightly, “It’s not like I purposely crawled on the floor towards the kitchen so I could record you being embarrassing or anything like that.”

Jongin facepalms and Kyungsoo squeals excitedly, “You recorded us?”

He nods, “Do you want it noona?”

“Sure,” she replies immediately.

She should’ve seen it coming, but she didn’t as Sehun smirks meaningfully, “On one condition though. Me in a dress never happened and nobody else needs to know alright?”

“Deal!”

He smiles, satisfied and looks at Jongin, “Hyung?”

When Jongin remains silent, he sighs dramatically, “I guess I have no choice but to tell all of our friends how your heart aches oh so badly when you think of noona then.”

“Don’t you dare Oh Sehun!” he screams, face red but Kyungsoo knows it isn’t because of anger, “Fine. I’ll forget you cross dressing ever happened and you pretend you didn’t hear anything.”

“Suits me just fine,” Sehun smirks.

Kris who was momentarily forgotten and who’s been watching the exchange silently speaks up, “Wait, Jongin said that?”

“Yep.”

“Ow man, he got it bad.”

“I know right hyung, they were so cheesy I wanted to poke my eyes out.”

--

Kris has apparently gone out of his room to ask them if they wanted to order take-away, it was way past dinner after all. 

Now, an hour later, the four of them sit around the dining table and as always, the men have almost cleaned their plates whilst Kyungsoo still has a mountain pile of them. It’s hard to eat peacefully when Jongin keeps on playing footsie with her under the table, she’s sure it’s Jongin this time, and all the while keeping a straight face.

At the same time, Kris and Sehun keep on looking at them closely, as if expecting them to suddenly jump onto each other there and then. Jongin probably thinks about it though. When his foot gets higher and she can’t stand it anymore, she pinches his thigh under the table and he lets out a groan.

“What’s wrong?” Sehun asks expectantly and when his gaze falls on her arm that’s draping low to Jongin’s side, he shrieks, “Holy moly!”

“Huh?” Kris looks up from his food, slapping Sehun’s shoulder repeatedly, “What, what, what?”

Sehun points towards Kyungsoo’s arm then and when Kris sees the couple’s flushed faces, he gasps, “Oh !”

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow, “The hell are you guys on about?”

“Noona, I didn’t know you’re so .”

Kris nods, beaming at her, “Unhygienic but damn Jongin, you lucky bastard.”

It takes a few seconds and a few confused looks aimed towards each other before Jongin cackles with laughter and Kyungsoo goes red faced, screaming, “IT’S NOT WHAT YOU’RE THINKING! OH MY GOODNESS, YOU TWO ARE SO ERTED!”

Jongin keeps on laughing, clutching his stomach while she takes her hand off his thigh, placing it on the table for good measure.

The two guys sigh and Sehun makes a show of shaking his head in disappointment, “I guess you’re innocent after all.”

“You think so?”

Both Sehun and Kris nod, Jongin hasn’t fully calmed down yet but he’s paying attention, turning his head to the side in time to see his girlfriend smirk.

“I do hope for your sake you won’t ever forget to lock your own bedrooms before you leave me and Jongin alone in the house from now on.”

 

A/N: Just want to say the scene between Jongin and Kyungsoo in the living room is inspired by one of my fave skits in Gag Concert - Badump Badump. hehe. anyone else watch that?