10

Not So New Girl

“Hey Kyungsoo, what’s the meaning of life?”

“Huh?” Baekhyun’s sudden (weird) question breaks Kyungsoo out of her daydream, “What?”

“From the way you’re staring at your food just now, I assume it’s bestowing upon you its wisdom.”

Kyungsoo splutters, rice almost making their escape out of as she glances at the other teacher, “What are you even saying? I was just-“ She swallows, “No, you don’t deserve a comeback.”

“Oh come on Soo,” Baekhyun whines, scooting closer to her, “But seriously, you’ve been out of it all day you know. What’s going on?”

Coughing all of the sudden, less than graciously she might add, Kyungsoo’s face heats up. She knows she’s been in a daze all day but she didn’t think it’s that obvious. Though she shouldn’t really be surprised, Baekhyun can be observant at times.

“Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?” she prods, soothing Kyungsoo’s back as she continues to cough, which actually worsens by the question.

When she’s calmed down enough, face still suspiciously red Baekhyun notes and eyes avoiding her, she finally replies, “No, I woke up fine. Nothing’s going on.”

Still skeptical, Baekhyun chooses to interrogate her another time, deciding to change the subject instead, “Are you going to the teachers’ gathering on Friday? Everyone’s going.”

Kyungsoo nods lazily, she doesn’t know why Baekhyun is asking her this when they’ve already decided that they’ll both go when the gathering was announced, “Why?”

“It’s umm… how do I say this?” Kyungsoo gulps because it’s unlike Baekhyun to be hesitant, she’s always confident and eloquent, “Could you sleep over at my place that night, please?”

Confident and eloquent– except for when asking a favor that is. She should’ve known.

“Why?”

“Just because?” It’s clear from Kyungsoo’s expression that she won’t agree with that lame reason so Baekhyun adds in a whisper, “It’s just a bit lonely.”

Bobbing her head slowly, Kyungsoo sighs; giving Baekhyun the look aren’t you glad you have the awesome me as a friend, “Sure.”

“Thank you!” She cheers loud enough for multiple pairs of eyes to turn towards their table at the cafeteria and Kyungsoo consequently wants to hide her face in her food. It’s not soup so it’ll be okay.

“We’ll go straight from the gathering alright?” she suggests when Kyungsoo resumes eating.

The petite- ahem, slightly more petite, teacher just hums her approval, Baekhyun smiles widely again before she too continues to devour her food. In her excitement for the upcoming weekend, she forgets that she has yet to ask Kyungsoo again why she seems dreamy all day.

She doesn’t notice either that Kyungsoo has gone back to staring at her food, smiling giddily as if the bibimbap is flirting with her.

If one is to go look into her mind, he or she will see that the moment after she woke up that morning is on playback, with a cheesy love song serving as the soundtrack.

The pitiful old clock on her bedside table read 6:30. Her alarm was supposed to set at 7:00, but Kyungsoo was already wide awake as she lay motionless on her bed, staring at the pastel ceiling. She may look calm on the outside but inside, it’s far from peaceful.

Her heart was beating rapidly; it wasn’t supposed to be like that early in the morning. She admits she isn’t that fit but still, that isn’t normal.

She had slept perfectly well that night, no nightmares or even any dreams that she can remember. Her slumber was disturbed only because her legs felt heavy all of the sudden. The discomfort woke her up.

Groggy at first, she groaned and looked down to see the cause of it. And that’s when her mind cleared up and the fluttering started. One of Jongin’s legs had made its way across and landed on hers, hence the weight. His sweatpants had risen up, the hairs on his calf tickling her skin making her giggle softly.

Blushing, she turned around to her right and saw a still sleeping Jongin. By then there was already heavy banging in her chest.

She mentally cursed herself for not realizing it sooner but when she saw it, she’s surprised she didn’t squeal out loud.

Their hands were still interlaced from the night before. His other hand was clasped on top too, as if afraid that she’ll pull hers out in the middle of the night. 

She remembered clearly when she fell asleep that their held hands were on the pillow in between them, but that morning it was pulled to his chest. The pillow nowhere to be found.

It’s a good thing really that it was on Jongin’s chest and not hers, or else he’ll be able to feel the rapid beating of her heart. And not to mention the feel of something else, she’s got assets you C.

She smiled brightly, if Jongin were to open his eyes, he’ll definitely come face to face with it. He didn’t unfortunately, what a shame. It would have been a great sight to wake up to.

Like the girl in love she is, Kyungsoo stayed that way, just staring at the peacefully sleeping Jongin. Without the big smile of course because that’s just creepy.

It was almost half an hour but to Kyungsoo it just wasn’t long enough as her alarm activated, ringing pathetically but loud enough for Jongin to finally stir, pulling back his leg unconsciously as the hand that wasn’t directly holding Kyungsoo’s rubbed at his eyes.

Unlike her, it took him a while to make sense of what’s going on or even where he was, as he shamelessly went on to scratch his privates, still with eyes closed. Thankfully from outside his pants but Kyungsoo blushes deep red anyway.

Only when he’s done and when he finally found the alarm annoying (Kyungsoo didn’t think of turning it off) does he open his eyes and instinctively Kyungsoo closed hers, pretending to still be asleep.

Putting faith in her acting skills, it never failed her before, and after a few seconds, she slowly opened them back, yawning to make it more believable.

Jongin was looking at her, perhaps counting her lashes, as she had expected so she smiled immediately, “Good morning.”

“Morning Soo,” he said back, voice husky, before looking down on his chest and Kyungsoo saw the tip of his ear reddening, how adorable, “Oh, sorry.”

When he let go of her hand, Kyungsoo internally wailed why why whyyyyy! but she kept on the smile nonetheless, “Thanks again Jongin.”

Sitting up slowly, probably headache attacking, he’s slightly hungover after all, “No problem. I’ll see you later then.”

Kyungsoo just waved back as she watched him leave her room.

Just as her playback ends, the bell rings signaling the end of their lunch break, startling her out her reverie. Baekhyun just chuckles as she leads the way back to their respective classes.

--

Right before the end of the day, she received a text from Luhan telling her that they should resume their make-Jongin-jealous operation. She refused to mention her next strategy when Kyungsoo asked however; instead she just gave her an address and asked her to meet them there after she finishes work.

Who ‘them’ is, she doesn’t know. Although she can safely guess that Chanyeol and Luhan are in it. Yixing too.

It takes her nearly 20 minutes to get there, not taking into account the five minutes she took walking slowly in front of clothing stores display looking at their new collection.

The address Luhan gave her turned out to be a Chinese restaurant she’s been to before with her ex-boyfriend. She scrunches her face in distaste at the memory but goes in nevertheless.

She doesn’t need to ask the waiter if her friends are there yet because as soon as she steps in, a familiar voice calls her name.

She smiles in gratitude at the waiter, just for being there she guesses, and walks towards the table where her friends are.

“Hi Kyungsoo!” say Luhan and Yixing simultaneously, standing up to hug her before pushing her around the table to sit next to who else, Chanyeol of course, who grins excitedly.

So far her guess had been correct, but she hadn’t expected to see Kris and Sehun too at the table, already seated on the other side. Kyungsoo takes note that they don’t really seem to be in such a good mood. If the way they greeted her isn’t a hint (they only waved half heartedly), then the scowls on their faces as they stare blankly into space are a confirmation.

They can’t still be hungover, can they? Kyungsoo thinks. Or perhaps they didn’t want to be there but the girls forced them?

There are more guesses in her head, such as the restaurant not having the food they want or them just being their hormonal moody selves, but then she sees something and knows immediately the reason.

“Oh Jongin!” Luhan exclaims happily, standing up too just like when Kyungsoo arrived, “You’re here!”

Jongin smiles politely at everyone (minus Chanyeol, he didn’t even look at him) before pulling the arm of the person next to him, “Noona, this is Soojung.”

“Hello, nice to meet you,” Soojung says sweetly as if she never says a word of insult to anyone before.

Oblivious to Kris and Sehun’s sharp glares, Yixing and Luhan greet her politely back, before asking the couple to sit at the empty chairs on the other side of the large square table.

Much to Kyungsoo’s relief, Jongin takes the seat closest to her. She’s glad not for her sake, she just doesn’t want to know what her other two roommates will do if they see Soojung next to her. Not when they’re still glaring at her across the table. They don’t do subtle do they?

Jongin’s arm brushes with hers, by accident or not who knows because the corners of his mouth are curved up a little bit but he isn’t looking at her.

“Now that everyone is here, let’s order some food first before I tell you why I invited all of you here,” Luhan starts. Next to her, Yixing bobs her head, long hair falling on her side.

The waiter Kyungsoo saw earlier took their orders; she doesn’t miss the shy glances he sends her way even when he’s supposed to be paying attention to other people. She’s flattered, hell of course she is, with two gorgeous models and another pretty female at the table, he picked her!

Feeling cheeky, Kyungsoo gives him a subtle wink, making him fall into a daze, causing Sehun to snap angrily for being ignored.

She chuckles and takes her eyes off him. She shouldn’t lead him on; he’s only slightly older than her students, so no, she’s not interested. Speaking of interests, Jongin nudges her side all of the sudden, “Stop it. He’s a kid!”

Kyungsoo laughs again, her wink wasn’t all that subtle it seems, and she retorts jokingly, “He’s quite cute though.”

Rolling his eyes at her, he turns back to the waiter, “We’re done here. You can go now.”

Flustered, the waiter leaves. Jongin ignores Soojung’s whine of I haven’t ordered a drink yet, which he answers with you can have mine. Her but you only asked for water gets ignored entirely when Jongin asks Luhan to say what she wants to say.

“Okay so you must be wondering why we’re all here,” she says and when everyone gives a weak reply of yeses, she continues, “Yixing and I are going away again for a show so we just wanted to hang out with everyone before we leave.”

Kyungsoo immediately pouts, sad that they haven’t stayed long and now they’re leaving again. Jongin’s pat on her knee under the table only helps a little bit.

“Why don’t we just have dinner at your place as usual noona?” Sehun asks, the hidden meaning under ‘as usual’ doesn’t go unnoticed by Kyungsoo. It has always been the six of them, now there’s Soojung and Chanyeol and he doesn’t seem as happy. Mostly because of the former of course.

Yixing answers Sehun’s question after waiting for the waiter, a different one this time, to finish placing their drinks on the table, “For a change. And besides we want to meet the infamous Soojung.”

Sehun grunts, thankfully not so obviously as Luhan hollers, “And I want baozi!” Like anyone asks, what everyone minus Chanyeol and Soojung think.

At the mention of her name, Soojung’s expression lights up and she starts a conversation with Luhan and Yixing. Kyungsoo can vaguely hear the words ‘runway,’ ‘Milan’ and ‘fashion.’ Now she’s really glad she isn’t sitting close to them because that isn’t her scene.

For the first time since she arrives at the restaurant she remembers Luhan’s text, and then it clicks - she has to use this chance to make Jongin jealous. Going into action immediately, she breaks her gaze off the girls and turn to Chanyeol on her right, “Hello.”

Happy now that he got her attention, he greets back excitedly before asking her about her day.

Kyungsoo answers and asks the same question back and their conversation flows freely after that as usual. She and Chanyeol get along really well, if only she doesn’t like Jongin so much, she’d probably fall for him.

All the while, Jongin only has the view of the back of her head but he still glares at her anyway. Luhan and Yixing alternately sneak a peek at him and smile gleefully.

Once their food arrives, the conversations cease and no body say a thing. Kyungsoo turns to Chanyeol once in a while though, giggling as she points at the stray rice on his chin. When she faces forward again, she sees Luhan and Yixing beaming proudly at her.

About half an hour later, everyone has their plates clean, except Soojung, Luhan and Yixing. As for Kyungsoo, what is diet

Soojung immediately vies for Luhan’s attention; Yixing’s is on Sehun and Kris. Chanyeol and Jongin though eye the same person and they both realize this. Kyungsoo doesn’t, and before either of them can say anything, she stands up suddenly, “I’m going to the restroom for a bit.”

She finds the restroom easily, having been there before. She groans when she sees that her hair isn’t tidy, must have been blown by the wind earlier. By the time she’s done attempting and eventually giving up to fix it, the door opens, revealing Yixing.

She breathes out in relief, she had been worried that Soojung will tail her and cuss her out again.

“Hey unnie,” she smiles as the other comes up to the sink to wash her hands, “How are you?”

“I’m good, you too?”

Kyungsoo nods, waiting by the side even though she has no reason to be there anymore.

“We’ve made progress you know, you were very convincing,” Yixing informs her.

Kyungsoo doesn’t need to ask to know what she’s talking about, as she hums in agreement, “I didn’t expect you guys to bring in Soojung though.”

Yixing chuckles then, the sound reverberating through the room, “Well that’s all Luhan. You know how she is.”

Kyungsoo joins in the laughter, following Yixing out of the door. Before they reach their table though, she whispers in Yixing’s ear, “So do you like Soojung?”

Yixing harrumphs, “She’s alright I guess? Talks too much.” Kyungsoo smiles smugly.

“How about Luhan unnie?”

“I think she feels the same way. She keeps on nudging me under the table to pretend to want her attention,” Kyungsoo looks at her and mouths did you, and she sneers, “Why do you think I went to the toilet?”

Their laughter grabs the attention of everyone at the table as they approach, they send each other knowing looks when they spot Luhan still stuck talking with Soojung, her face is already showing irritation.

“Hey,” Yixing says to her roommate, finally saving her, “Shall we go? We still need to pack.”

Nodding enthusiastically, as if she’s been looking forward to the task, Luhan stands up immediately, her chair making a loud noise as it scrapes the floor, making Jongin jump in his seat, poor boy.

“Alright guys, we’ll make our leave. As for the bill, thanks Kris,” Luhan says, winking at said person, before looking at her other neighbors, “Our flight is tomorrow night. I’ll come over to your place before we go.”

Soojung quickly stands up too, pulling the girls in a hug, kissing their cheeks as if they’ve known each other for long. At least Yixing manages to mask her dislike, Kyungsoo can't say the same thing about Luhan who rolls her eyes once Soojung let go.

When eight becomes six, things become slightly awkward. Sehun and Kris still don’t do much, choosing to talk amongst themselves. With Soojung’s attention all over him now, Jongin doesn’t get the chance to even glance at Kyungsoo who is listening to Chanyeol talking.

It hasn’t been ten minutes since the female models left when Kris clears his throat, “We’re going to leave too guys.”

Sehun follows after him as he goes towards the cashier, fulfilling Luhan’s request, before they too disappear through the main door.

Slightly awkward becomes super awkward eventually with Soojung openly glaring at Kyungsoo, when Jongin isn’t looking, which is the whole time because he’s too busy sending daggers at Chanyeol.

The persons receiving the looks pretend to be oblivious as they continue talking, only pausing when they hear Soojung say to Jongin, “Let’s go oppa.”

Kyungsoo looks at Jongin, waiting for his reply. He looks at her too, hesitance a clear feature on his face before he nods, their hands brushing slightly on the table, “See you at home.”

She feels lonely all of the sudden, even when Chanyeol is right there next to her. She doesn’t feel like talking anymore, so forcing a smile, she tells him that she’ll make her leave too. She doesn’t have the heart to object when he offers to walk her home.

--

The remainder of the school week went by in a daze, students and teachers alike getting busier and more stressed with the college entrance exam date looming closer.

Kyungsoo comes back home later and later everyday, except for the night when Luhan and Yixing left. She didn’t want to miss saying goodbye to them because she’s not sure when she’ll get to see them again.

The nights after that, Kyungsoo is only home to sleep. She, Baekhyun, Joonmyun and Jongdae choose to eat out together after they finish work because they know once they get home, they’ll just go straight to their bed and fall asleep right away. Which is true.

Kyungsoo hardly get to see her roommates anymore. Only when they wake up early that she sees them during breakfast, but then usually they’ll be only half awake so they don’t do or say much other than the casual morning greetings.

Friday finally comes, the teachers look happier Kyungsoo observes when she arrives. She remembers then, there’s that teachers’ gathering that night. So that’s whyshe thinks, as her mood lightens up too. At last it’s time to get a break!

Her students too all seem more energetic, obviously looking forward to the weekend. And when she announces that they can leave, everyone cheers and Kyungsoo rushes out to the staffroom to get her stuff before going out to wait by the gate where she promised to meet her friends.

None of them are there yet, but she’s surprised to see another familiar face she never expected to see at her work place. Kris is leaning on the wall, looking at the passing cars with arms crossed on his chest. With his expensive looking coat (it is), he looks like a model and Kyungsoo grins as she walks up to him.

“Oppa!” she calls out, “What are you doing here?”

He seems out of place, rubbing the back of his neck and staring down at his shoes, “I’m waiting for-“

“Kyungsoo!”

The two roommates turn to the voice, Kris looking glad that he got interrupted and Kyungsoo is just startled.

“Hi unnie,” she says when Jongdae approaches, followed by Baekhyun.

The newcomers and Kris bow to each other, greeting each other politely. It’s only their second meeting after all. Kyungsoo immediately forgets to ask Kris again what is he doing there when Baekhyun starts to converse with him and Jongdae blabbers on about the gathering.

When Baekhyun mentions something to do with her apartment, Kyungsoo gasps as remembers that she’s supposed to sleepover at Baekhyun’s later. She totally forgot all about it, and therefore mentioning it to her housemates never crosses her mind.

Thankfully Kris is right there so she decides to just tell him, but before she can open , they hear footsteps approaching and a voice muttering, “I’m sorry. I forgot my-… Oh Kris-ssi!”

“Hello Joonmyun-ssi,” he replies.

It’s suddenly quiet, only the sound of cars passing by on the nearby road can be heard as Kris and Joonmyun look at each other with googly eyes. The other three girls just stand there awkwardly.

When she realized that they’re being scrutinized, Joonmyun clears , “Umm yes, sorry I’m late. I forgot my book so I went back to get it.”

“That’s fine,” Baekhyun replies, still glancing back and forth between Kris and Joonmyun, “Shall we go?”

“Yes, let’s,” say Kyungsoo and Jongdae simultaneously as they start to walk, followed by Joonmyun and Baekhyun.

“Wait!”

Kyungsoo wants to laugh but decides against it when he sees Kris crestfallen face at being ignored and almost left alone, “Joonmyun-ssi, can I talk to you?”

The three girls look at Joonmyun, all saying with their eyes it’s okay, go. So she smiles at them and agrees, stepping closer to Kris who’s smiling sheepishly, “You girls have fun then!”

When they’re about to walk away again, an invisible force slaps Kyungsoo in the face, reminding her that she has yet to talk to Kris. Making sure she won’t be interrupted this time, she halts her steps and turn around to face him, “Oppa, I won’t be going home tonight.”

“Okay,” he mumbles quietly but not looking at her, instead he’s just glancing discreetly at the girl on his side.

“Tell Jongin and Sehun for me okay?” Kyungsoo adds, just making her point across because Kris doesn’t really seem to be paying attention, “Tell them I’ll be sleeping at my friend’s place. With no boyfriend to speak of, she’s lonely you see.”

Kris just nods this time, grinning as Joonmyun steps even closer, leaving no space between them.

Annoyed, Kyungsoo hisses at him, “What did I say oppa?”

“Huh?” he looks at her flustered before registering what she said, “Oh yes! You – not going home – your friend – boyfriend - lonely, got it.”

“Good!” she huffs, satisfied, “Bye! I’ll see you guys tomorrow then!”

And with that, they part ways. Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongdae immediately giggling amongst themselves as they recall Joonmyun’s surprising bout of flirtatiousness.

The teachers’ gathering is by no means like college students’ gathering. No, not at all. They just end up eating, drinking very little, talking loudly as if they don’t do that everyday, drinking just a little, more eating and talking and most importantly, not-having-enough-drinks-whose-freaking-idea-was-it-to-invite-the-older-and-more-strict-teachers?

It’s sad to say that it was over even before midnight and Kyungsoo and Baekhyun find themselves in the latter’s apartment exactly at 12:03. Baekhyun is not at all satisfied; she’d been looking forward to it after all. Kyungsoo too isn’t all that happy.

So drowning in self-pity, they lay side by side on Baekhyun’s bed, talking about everything like best friends do. Though technically Kyungsoo doesn’t tell her everything, Baekhyun doesn’t know about Jongin for instance.

The other falls asleep after a while, Kyungsoo somehow still wide awake, thinking about her roommates. There are no worried text messages from them tonight, or any non-worried texts for that matter. If she expected Kris to forget to tell Jongin and Sehun earlier, she doesn’t now.

Chanyeol did text her however, asking whether she’s busy. She replied with a yes, I am. She feels bad for him to be honest, but thankful at the same time. He really seems very eager to help her with her quest.

It isn’t the first time he’s texting asking to meet up, he does it every night that week but for obvious reasons, Kyungsoo only replies with apologetic messages.

Kyungsoo finally falls asleep imagining that it’s Jongin next to her, pushing away the thought that he probably went on a date with Soojung earlier.

--

They wake up late the next day, going out to the nearest coffee shop for brunch and spending the day back at Baekhyun’s place watching sappy movies. When it’s getting slightly late, Kyungsoo hugs Baekhyun goodbye, ignoring her pleadings of please stay one more night.

She misses her roommates terribly. Baekhyun can mope around in loneliness by herself.

She skips all the way back to her apartment and hums under her breath as she fumbles for her keys. She hears the sound of the television from the living room so she jogs there, dropping her bags haphazardly on the floor when she sees Jongin sitting alone on the couch.

She runs up towards him flopping herself down and hugs him sideways immediately, “I missed you!”

She says it with all the enthusiasm and all the love she has so it surprises her when he removes her arms from around his waist and pushes her away.

“You’re back.”

Her jaw drops as she stares at him, unconsciously pouting. Heavy emphasis on unconsciously because Kyungsoo doesn’t do cute on purpose. That is definitely not the reaction she expects or wants, “Yes I am.”

He doesn’t say anything after that, just watches the television like he did before she came. Her heart starts to constrict, he doesn’t even spare her a glance and she doesn’t know why.

It’s a tense couple minutes, they stay there in silent, only Kyungsoo seems to be aware of the other person before Sehun and Kris join them in the living room.

“Hey noona!” Sehun greets excitedly, falling into the empty couch.

“Ssup,” Kris says, Krisly.

Her distress must have been obvious when Sehun asks her in mild concern, “Is anything wrong noona?”

Kris glances at her too, just in time to see her shake her head before he speaks up, “So, how was last night?”

“It was okay.”

“Just okay?” Sehun prods, winking playfully at her, “Not good? You look exhausted though.”

“Not good?” she asks back, confused as to what he’s talking about, but then she remembers the gathering, Joonmyun must have told Kris about it, so she goes on, “Ah, yes. Not really good.”

Next to her, she hears Jongin sniggering and whimpering at the same time while both Sehun and Kris look at her dubiously; mouth agape. Kyungsoo regrets not taking her phone out of her bag because a photo of that would’ve been nice. She’d even frame it and put it proudly on her desk at work.

Ignoring their strange reactions and still feeling upset, Kyungsoo focuses on the television instead. Her mood lifts up a bit when she sees that Running Man is on but her face falls not long after when she sees that it’s at the end. It starts to show the preview for the next week though and she squeals loudly, startling Jongin as she sees her favourite idol ENDO.

Normally, Sehun wouldn’t want to miss the chance to regarding the group, but he isn’t acting like himself. Neither do Kris and Jongin for that matter.

“Noona,” he calls out when Kyungsoo recovers from her thankfully not literal gosh, dying! state, “Was it really that bad?”

She hums thoughtlessly; Sehun’s interest in the teachers’ gathering is puzzling but she decides to humour him anyway, “Well yeah. We planned it from last week but when it finally happened, it’s just disappointing you know? If only we had enough drinks then maybe it would have been better.”

Jongin gasps almost inaudibly but remains silent otherwise.

“Too bad for you then,” Kris quips, sounding really sympathetic, “Wasn’t it your first after like what, forever?”

Kyungsoo bobs her head, if anyone knows what a night out should be spent like, it’ll be Kris.

“Wow, I didn’t expect that from Chanyeol hyung,” Sehun murmurs, staring blankly at the coffee table, “No wonder he settles for noona and doesn’t go for the models.”

Ignoring the indirect insult, what does he mean by that anyway, Kyungsoo perks up at the mention of Chanyeol, “What about Chanyeol?”

“Uhh… he’s not good?”

“In what?”

“The ?” Kris answers, “What else?”

“WHAT?” she screams immediatelyall eyes on her now, even Jongin’s, “Why are we talking about ? And Chanyeol?”

Sehun glances at Kris and Jongin back and forth, hoping for them to say something but when all he gets are blank looks, he sighs, “Didn’t you sleep over at Chanyeol hyung’s place last night? And did it? And it was bad?”

She gasps loudly, hands covering dramatically.

“Oh my goodness! I did not sleep over at his place! We definitely did not do it,” she hisses sharply, “And I certainly don’t know if he’s any good or not. Wherever did you guys get the idea that I was there?”

The apartment is eerily silent after her outburst, all three guys looking at the floor guiltily before both Sehun and Jongin simultaneously raise their hands and point towards Kris.

“Oppa, what did you tell them?” she snarls as she looks at him.

For the first time since living together, she sees him scared and it’s because of her. Cool! but ahem, must look angry, so she glares when he mutters, “I told them what you told me. That you’ll be sleeping over at your boyfriend’s place. And so we assumed it’s Chanyeol.”

Okay now she’s actually kind of pissed off. If there is a hulk mask lying around she’d definitely put it on because she’s imagining herself turn into one right at the moment.

“I did not say that oppa!” she snaps and Kris sinks further into the couch, “I’m pretty sure I said I’ll be sleeping at my friend’s place. And that she’s lonely because she doesn’t have a boyfriend!”

Three pairs of lips part in shock by the end of her explanation as Kyungsoo massages her temple, feeling a headache coming in.

“I’m sorry Kyungsoo,” Kris says after a while, “I should’ve listened to you properly.”

“Yes you should.”

“I’m sorry too noona, for misunderstanding.”

Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the emotion spectrum, Jongin cackles with laughter, suddenly not so gloomy anymore, “This is actually pretty funny guys.”

“Shut up Jongin,” Kris scowls, still feeling guilty, “This isn’t funny. You weren’t laughing last night.”

That effectively shuts him up and it dawns on her why he was upset earlier. So he actually believed Kris when he told them that she’s sleeping at her boyfriend’s place? And thought they had ? Did he really think she’s that easy?

Her blood is boiling now, she’s upset that they think that lowly of her. Jongin especially, he should know better. Scowling, she stands up and wordlessly walk away towards her bedroom.

She jumps on her bed immediately and then the tears start to flow. She doesn’t know why, she can’t control it.

A knock on her door startles her.

“Kyungsoo.”

She freezes, hoping that the person will go away.

“Soo,” Jongin calls again. She remains unresponsive, if she ignores him, he’ll definitely leave.

Then her door creaks open, curses, she forgot to lock the damn door, “Kyungsoo.”

She’s glad that she buried her face in her pillow; at least Jongin won’t know she’s crying.

“Are you crying?” Damn it.

“No.”

She feels her bed sink as Jongin sits on it, his hands finding purchase on the back of her head immediately, fingers twirling in her hair.

“I’m sorry I misunderstood,” he whispers softly, Kyungsoo’s heart swells, he knows why she’s upset, bless him, “It’s just- I don’t like Chanyeol.”

She sits up at his admittance, wiping the tears off her cheeks, “Why?”

He’s avoiding meeting her eyes as he replies, “I don’t know. I just don’t.”

“He isn’t my boyfriend, so don’t worry,” she says, uncaring that now hers, Luhan and Yixing’s plan may be ruined but she can’t find it in herself to care anymore, “Since we’re on it, I don’t like Soojung either. Too bad she’s actually your girlfriend though.”

He snorts and Kyungsoo looks at him with eyebrows raised.

“She’s not,” Jongin mutters, finally looking at her, “At least not anymore. We broke up that night after we had dinner with Luhan and Yixing noona.”

Kyungsoo gasps loudly, not bothering to hide her surprise. The happiness it bubbling its way out already.

“Really?” she croaks, voice still husky from crying, “Why?”

“I don't like her either.”

As if it’s the funniest thing in the world, both Kyungsoo and Jongin break out into laughter, clutching their stomachs. It isn’t that funny, but maybe they are both just too happy for words.

When eventually they calm down enough, Kyungsoo is lying back on her bed, Jongin sitting next to her, it finally dawns on them. Their feelings are way too obvious to ignore now.

Jongin looks down, smiling sweetly, not the same smile she saw him give to Soojung, “Let’s go out tomorrow. We can talk more then.”

Kyungsoo nods, it’s too late at night to do it now anyway, “Okay.”

Before leaving, Jongin kisses her forehead, lingering longer than necessary, eyes boring holes on her as he hovers over her face. She doesn’t miss him looking pointedly at her lips as she them teasingly. He sighs and whisper tomorrow before he leaves.

--

She wakes up even happier than when Jongin was next to her funnily enough, fixing her hair before she leaves her room and then going to the kitchen for breakfast.

It’s quiet; no one is there but her. She considers checking on Jongin in his room but decides against it, don’t be so shameless, girl. Only when she’s back in her room does she check her phone, there’s a text from Jongin.

From: Jongin

07:13 Good morning sleepyhead! (- ^ O ^ -) By the time you read this, I won’t be home. Sehun and I got called in to work suddenly T-T I’ll definitely see you tonight though!

She smiles absently; she could definitely wake up to this. Or wake up and have breakfast to this.

To: Jongin

9:45 I didn’t just wake up just so you know, I had breakfast first <( ̄︶ ̄)> But okay, I’ll see you later. Are you going back first? If not, where and when should we meet up?

When he doesn’t reply immediately, probably busy she thinks, she goes and takes a shower, before getting ready for the day. She might as well enjoy her Sunday first.

After almost fainting at the state of their refrigerator and food cabinets (they’re empty), Kyungsoo decides it’s time to go grocery shopping.

On her way to the nearest supermarket, which she loves because they sell everything under one roof, it has nothing to do with their wide selection of desserts at the bakery section of course, Kyungsoo meets Chanyeol.

He was just leaving it seems, a shopping bag held on his right hand.

“Kyungsoo-ssi! What are you doing here?”

She laughs at his senselessness because isn’t it obvious, “I’m here to shop of course!”

“Ah, right,” he grins back, scratching his ear bashfully.

“Did you have breakfast?”

“Yes I did,” she replies, “Did you?”

He shakes his head shyly.

Feeling friendly and since she’s happy anyway, she offers, “You want me to accompany you have breakfast? I don’t mind.”

Agreeing excitedly, Chanyeol suggests they go to a café just next to the supermarket. It isn’t a popular place since it’s mostly empty but that’s okay Kyungsoo thinks, as they sit at a corner.

Chanyeol orders food for himself, Kyungsoo furiously rejecting his offer. She might not care about dieting, but she isn’t greedy for food.

She watches him eat as they talk about their week. She apologizes again for not agreeing to meet up with him throughout the week, but he says he understands anyway.

Not surprisingly their conversation comes up to Luhan and Yixing and how they’re too busy to call now, Kyungsoo tells him.

“They don’t even ask about my progress with Jongin anymore.”

Chanyeol stops chewing, Kyungsoo assumes it’s from shock because this is actually the first time they talk about the make Jongin jealous project. “Oh, which reminds me. I never actually thanked you, you know. For agreeing to help.”

The model only stares at her open mouthed, waiting for her to continue.

“It worked, Jongin was jealous. I’m sure you could tell too,” she chuckles, staring at Chanyeol’s abandoned food as she recalls back to the past weeks, “So yeah, thanks Chanyeol-ssi.”

Slowly he nods, her words registering in his mind one by one, his face falling by the minute.

“I- It’s okay,” he manages to say, looking outside the window.

“I hope we can keep in touch after this though. You’ll come visit Luhan and Yixing’s unnie place when they get back right?”

“Yes, sure,” he coughs. Kyungsoo pushes her glass of water to him immediately since his own glass is already empty.

“I need the restroom, wait,” she says, standing up from her seat leaving Chanyeol alone.

She leaves her phone lying on the table, screen facing up. Chanyeol ignores it at first until it lights up. A new text message notification shows on the screen.

He wants to ignore it but when he sees that it’s from Jongin, any sense he has are pushed away.

From: Jongin

11:35 It seems we’ll finish sooner than expected! \(^▽^)/ let’s meet up at 2 at that bubble tea place Sehun likes so much. I’ll wait for you there.

Chanyeol’s sullen expression turns dark immediately as he types a reply.

To: Jongin

11:36 Alright, see you there

He clicks send as quickly as he typed, and then he deletes the last two messages in the conversation, making Kyungsoo’s previous questions seems unanswered still.

She comes back long after he places the phone back exactly at where it was, as he smiles at her sweetly, “Kyungsoo, since I did you a favor, do you mind helping me back?”

She checks her phone first, frowning when there’s no new message from Jongin, before looking up at Chanyeol again, “Sure. What is it?”

“My sister’s birthday is coming up. Do you mind helping me pick a gift for her?”

Kyungsoo laughs, what a typical guy problem, “Okay. I guess I’ll just have to go grocery shopping next time.”

Chanyeol pays for the bill before he guides her out of the café, a hand on the small of her back. The grin on his face unlike his usual one.

 

 

A/N: HUAHAHAHAHAHUAHAHAHAHUAHAHAHA