interruption

ice cream. [on hiatus]

Kwangmin’s heart pounded as he held onto Sooyeon’s hand. He didn’t know what made him do it or what made him say those words. He didn’t even know what to do as he gripped onto her wrist.

                “I…” He stammered.

                “Why were you acting like that?” She sounded hurt.

Kwangmin cursed himself for hurting her. He didn’t mean to make her cry. He just didn’t know what to say to her questions. Plus, he was crying too. Not to mention that he was hurting. He couldn’t say that he was jealous. Kwangmin let go of her hand in defeat.

                “Are you not going to tell me?” Sooyeon looked at him, her gaze piercing him.

                “I was just tired.” He lied, his eyes focusing on Minwoo’s desk that was behind her.

                “Don’t lie.” She snapped. “I’m not stupid.”

Kwangmin looked down at his hands. He didn’t know what to say.

                “You can tell me that it’s because you don’t like me.” Sooyeon glared at him. “Don’t lie. You hated me ever since you saw me.”

That’s not true.

                “You hated sitting next to me and you were annoyed of me so you left!” She went on, her lip quivering.

That’s not true.

                “It’s not true.” He whispered.

                “Then why?” Sooyeon kneeled down in front of him to look directly at his face.

I like you.

                “It hurts.” Kwangmin managed to murmur.

                “What hurts? Are you okay?” She took his face with her hands.

Sooyeon’s thumbs gently Kwangmin’s cheeks as she cuddled his face with his hands. Her hands were warm. My heart hurts. Tears started to form as he remembered her and Youngmin together. He hated for her to see him cry like this. Like a baby. Kwangmin felt the familiar burn in his stomach. He hated for her to see him be like this.

                “What hurts?” She made him look her in the eye. “Oh, Kwangmin, please tell me.”

                “My heart hurts.” He whispered, a tear sliding down his cheek.

                “Your heart?” Sooyeon stuttered. “Why?”

Because I love you. Kwangmin looked down.

                “Because…” He trailed off.

Because I love you. Say it Kwangmin, say it now. Say it before it’s too late.

                “Because…” He tried again.

Sooyeon’s hands fell from his cheeks. He hated that. He wanted to feel her warmth on his cheeks again. Her expression was unreadable. Suddenly there was a big knock on the door.

                “Sooyeon, come downstairs and eat fruit.” Youngmin called and poked his head through the door. “What are you guys doing? Come on.”

Uncontrollable anger flared in Kwangmin’s stomach. Are you serious? Sooyeon stood up and looked at Kwangmin warily.

                “Kwangmin, are you okay?” Youngmin asked.

No. I’m not. You ruined everything. You always do. You always do. Kwangmin grit his teeth and balled up his fists. He was so close to hitting his brother.

                “Kwangmin… come downstairs and let’s eat fruit.” She started to walk away.

No, don’t go. Please. Stay. Sooyeon looked at him with a confused look. Kwangmin looked away, pain stinging his heart. She gave him one more look and sighed.

                “I’ll wait for you downstairs.” She disappeared with Youngmin.

                “!” Kwangmin yelled and punched the wall.

Pain coursed through his arm as he stared at his mangled hand. Tears started to stream down his face. He cursed himself and dived down under the blankets again. He started to cry. This was why Sooyeon didn’t like him. He was a big fat cry baby and there was nothing Kwangmin could do about it.