Chapter 8

The Wish Your Heart Made

"Kim Jongin, slow down!"

"No way; do you even know the last time I drove a car down a highway?"

"You're going to get ticketed!"

"Just enjoy the feeling of the wind in your hair, my love! Woohoo!"

Haejin only laughed as they sped onward down the bypass. She had to admit, the wind rushing through her hair and roaring in her ears was exhilarating, even though she knew she would be yanking a brush through it later. She looked over at Kai who had a devilish grin and whose eyes were covered by his sunglasses. Despite his rebellious remarks, he had a firm grip on the wheel. Haejin shook her head and laughed.

Kai glanced over at her, biting his lip. Although she had a smile on her face, her hands were folded in her lap. He began to laugh; this was something Haejin always did... Her reservedness followed her no matter how hard she tried. 

"Come on Haejin; 'Woohoo!'"

"What?" Haejin looked at him incredulously.

"Say it-- 'Woohoo!'"

Haejin began to giggle. "No."

"Come on~!" Kai reached over and tickled her side, causing Haejin to squeal.

"No!"

"Haejin~"

Haejin giggled once again, before looking at the road. They were almost to another busy intersection, about to get off of the highway.

"Haejinnie~" At this, Haejin sighed, before closing her eyes and cupping her hands around .

"WOOHOOOO~!!" Haejin heard Kai laugh, and she laughed as well...

As did someone else. Haejin's eyes widened, as she realized that they were no longer driving, but had stopped at an intersection. She looked toward the sound of the laugh.

They were next to another car, and the driver, an older man, was laughing at her. He gave her a thumbs-up and smiled.

"Nice hair," he called. Haejin's eyes bugged out of her skull, and her jaw dropped. She immediately reached for her hair, trying desperately to calm the bird's nest that was now her hair. Kai was laughing hysterically. Haejin glared at him.

"Kim Jong-- YOU LITTLE!" Almost not careful to not use Kai's name in public, she playfully slapped him, which did nothing to shut the boy up.

"Oh my god, you're evil," Haejin whined, still tugging at her hair. Kai giggled maniacally.

"Saranghae~!" He gave her the "heart" sign, to which Haejin poked a hole through.

"Meanie," Haejin whispered, but she smiled she saw Kai's slight smirk.

"You gotta admit that was funny," he stated, glancing over at her, and Haejin shrugged and nodded.

"Ah, it was alright," she giggled. She reached over and took one of Kai's hands from the wheel, as they began to drive again. They automatically intertwined their fingers. "I expected as much from a goofball like you." She smiled, biting her lip when she saw his smile turn into an open mouth.

"A goofball?" Kai repeated, as if he had never heard the term before in his life. Haejin nodded.

"Definitely. Definitely a goofball," Haejin replied, humor lacing her tone. Kai glanced at her, pretending to be offended, before looking at the road again, then throwing a snide side-glance at her. He repeated the process, before Haejin began to giggle, causing Kai to laugh as well, and Haejin leaned over and pecked his cheek.

"It's okay; I still love you," Haejin teased. Kai chuckled.

"You better, because if you didn't it'd be a one-sided love... I'd only have you to love, but no one to love me."

Haejin smiled, lifting their hands to kiss Kai's, and upon seeing him smile because of it, cradled their hands in her lap. They continued on.

divider.png

"Almost there; recognize the lights?"

Haejin looked up and around, before glancing at her boyfriend.

"You mean the lamp posts?"

There was a silence, before Kai replied with a sarcastic, joking, "yes," before laughing.

"Then yes! I recognize these," Haejin replied, giggling. Kai grinned, before it faded.

"Remember when you and I would walk home after our secret practices at school?"

Haejin's smile faded as well, as she began to recall their past together. She remembered the chill nights where they would walk side-by-side, too exhausted to say a word, or the starry frigid nights where they compared their foggy breaths and who could "breathe" the farthest. She remembered his coat around her body, or his arm around her shoulders. She remembered how the cold wind would freeze the sweat-drenched tips of his hair, and he would laugh when he ran his hand through it and felt the frost. She remembered the both of the comparing dance moves, whispering them into the night as if Haejin's parents were walking right behind them. She remembered them complaining about sore muscles and burning bruises.

She remembered it all, as those lamp posts guided the both of them home. Haejin smiled softly.

"Yes, I remember." She looked at him, only to find that he was looking right back. He smiled, before squeezing her hand gently and continuing to drive. Haejin leaned her head back in the seat, taking in the sun-kissed scenery. Kai's remark brought her into a world of nostalgia. In this world were good and bad memories; the good ones were made by Kai, while the bad ones were reaped upon by her parents...

It was as if Kai read her mind, because his next question brought her to her senses. "Have you talked to them lately?"

"Huh?" Haejin sat up straight once again, looking at him.

"Your parents; have you talked to them?" he asked.

Haejin looked down, her eyes beginning to waver. The thought of them made her want to scream, but she stayed silent, biting the inside of her cheek.

"I'm going to take that as a no," Kai whispered. He let go of her hand, only to put a hand on her back and rub soothingly. "Sorry for bringing them up, jagi."

Haejin shook her head, blinking several times, before smiling at him. "It's okay. I probably should talk to them, but they never sound happy to hear from me."

Kai sighed, shaking his head. His hand tightened its grip on the wheel. "It's their loss," he whispered, and Haejin could catch the venom in it. She decided to steer the conversation in a different direction before things got ugly.

"I'm surprised you still know where you live, Jongin," she teased, taking hold of his hand once again. Kai glanced at her, eyeing her over, before snorting.

"Are you implying that I haven't visited my parents in a long time, Miss Jung?"

Haejin grinned. "Maybe I am; when your umma texts me to ask how you're doing, I'm thinking that she's really missing you."

"Us," Kai corrected, smiling. "She misses you too, jagiya." Upon seeing Haejin's smile, he returned it, before slowing the car down as they approached a house.

It was Kai's home. Two stories tall, white, and with black shutters, it was a pretty house that was big enough for five people--Rather, two, since Kai was not home often and neither were his two sisters, Chohee and Eunjung. He had grown up here, and knew the house, its location, and the neighborhood like the back of his hand.

They pulled into the driveway, although it was more slowly than usual. Haejin glanced at him, and saw that he was biting his lip nervously.

"Jongin?" Haejin asked. Kai put the car in park, before looking at her.

"Let's sneak up on them," he said devilishly. Haejin's eyes widened.

"Eh?"

"I didn't tell them that we were coming home; it's a surprise!"

Haejin gasped. "Jongin, you're going to give your mother a heart attack!"

Kai shook his head, his smile growing, before unbuckling his seatbelt. "C'mon, let's go."

Haejin sighed, before unbuckling herself and getting out of the car as well. They both shut the doors quietly, before carefully approaching one another.

"We shouldn't use the front door," Haejin warned, getting into the plan. Kai shook his ehad.

"The side door, the side door," he insisted. They carefully trekked to the side of the house, before peeking into the window of the side door.

They saw no one, and they giggled to one another before Kai quietly unlocked and opened the door. He poked his head in, before taking Haejin's hand and leading her in as silently as they could.

"I can't believe we're doing this," Haejin whispered. Kai bit his lip.

"It'll be funny," he hissed.

"Until we get strangled," Haejin finished.

Kai snorted. They both slipped off their shoes, placing them by the door quietly, before they suddenly heard a scratching noise and they froze. Haejin's eyes snapped toward Kai, fearful, before they looked down the hall where the sound came from.

At the end of the hall, there was a shadow.

"Oh crap," Kai mouthed. Haejin hid behind Kai. They watched as the shadow moved, before a brown poodle came into view. Its chubby figure stopped upon seeing them, and it tilted its head. Kai gasped.

"Jjangu," he mouthed. The dog perked up, only to hunker down once he saw Kai put a finger to his lips. "Don't tell umma," he instructed quietly, and Jjangu merely sat down and began to his paw. Both Haejin and Kai breathed out in relief, before Haejin looked up at her boyfriend in disbelief.

"How could you forget about your dogs?" she hissed. Kai looked away sheepishly.

"I thought that they wouldn't hear us; if Jjangu doesn't budge, the others usually don't... At least Jjangah didn't hear--" He was interrupted by a small whine. Again, they looked to the end of the hall, before noticing a much tinier, white poodle looking back at them. Kai winced.

"Jjangah," he started, a low warning tone in his voice. "Shhh."

Jjangah's eyes narrowed, before noticing a figure behind Kai. She padded over to them, her nails clicking on the wooden floor, before she noticed Haejin. Then she squealed, jumping up and beginning to bark wildly. Haejin squealed as well, having been discovered by the smaller dog.

"Shh shh Jjangah," she begged, picking up the squirmy bundle of happiness. Jjangah began to Haejin's face, and she couldn't help but laugh as the dog's tongue tickled her. Kai smiled and shook his head, petting the tiny dog's head, before the both of them flinched as they heard a voice.

"Who's there?" Both of them froze, as did the puppy, before seeing a young woman appear at the end of the hall. She gasped upon seeing the sight before her.

"OMONAAA!!!" She ran forward with a smile, arms outstretched. Kai grinned.

"Noona!" He hugged his sister Eunjung tightly, pulling her in. He felt her reciprocate, but only for a second because she apparently saw who was still standing behind him.

"HAEJIN!!" Eunjung squealed, before pushing Kai away. "Move," she instructed her brother, as Haejin quickly put Jjangah down before the puppy was crushed by the embrace. Eunjung practically tackled the girl, pulling her into a bonecrushing hug.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh," Eunjung whispered, before she pulled away and kissed Haejin's cheek. Haejin squeaked.

"Unnie!" Haejin blushed, and Eunjung merely giggled. She looked at them both.

"I can't believe you guys are here," she breathed. "Umma!!" she called loudly, putting an arm around the both of them.

"Ne?" a voice answered.

"Come here!! They're home," Eunjung squealed. Within moments, another woman appeared at the end of the hall. Her jaw dropped and she gasped.

"Oh my... Jongin! Haejin!" Jongin's mother jogged forward before reaching and embracing the both of them tightly.

"Hi umma," Jongin whispered bashfully, hugging her back. Mrs. Kim pulled away, before gasping.

"Omona, look at you-- blond hair!" She reached up and touched it gingerly, and Kai nodded.

"I know," he said bashfully, before he felt her ruffle it playfully and he chuckled.

"Blond hair-- And Haejin, goodness gracious, look at you!" Mrs. Kim let go of her son and eyed Haejin up and down. "My gosh, you get prettier each time I see you; you are just gorgeous!" She pulled Haejin in for another hug, which Haejin reciprocated with a giggle.

"Thank you," she managed to say, smiling. She caught Kai smiling at her and she blushed, before Mrs. Kim let go of her. Kai's mom looked them both over once again, beaming.

"I've missed you both so much," she cooed. Haejin and Kai laughed.

"We missed you too," they said in unison, to which Mrs. Kim and Eunjung gasped and smiled at one another.

"You two still say the same things at the same time," Eunjung commented cheerily. Haejin and Kai laughed once again.

"It's more of a reflex now," Kai replied.

"We can't help it," Haejin responded, smiling. Mrs. Kim chuckled.

"I can see that...Well, come on in! Welcome home!"

Haejin looked up at Kai, who smiled back down at her. She looked at Eunjung and Mrs. Kim and smiled at them, a genuine smile. They were so welcoming to her, so kind... Something new to Haejin, even after two years of knowing them. But she was grateful, because she felt like she belonged there, with them.

She was home.

 

divider.png

~*~Author's Note~*~

Hey everyone! How have you been? How are your holidays going?!? :DD

Are you excited for 2014??

I know I certainly am; it's time for a new start for me. ^_^;

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this update; I've decided to keep them shorter instead of trying to fit a BUNCH of stuff into one chapter, because that keeps me from updating due to the amount discouraging me. >< So I'm chopping them into pieces and giving them to you so my updates SHOULD (hopefully) be more frequent. (Please don't quote me on this OTL)

ALSO. THIS STORY GAINED A CRAPTON OF SUBS SINCE THE LAST UPDATE... I'm speechless. This is amazing. I love it, and I love your support and new readers (or old readers who haven't been online in a while and are like, "OMG ART'S GOT A SEQUEL") ...(Disclaimer: I can only hope that you guys were/are that excited when you see the sequel to FYSI but it probably deesn't happen like that. XD)

Anyways, I'm rambling. I'm gonna go, and I hope you enjoyed this update! If I don't update again soon, have a great (crazy) rest of 2013! Set it on fire, my dears. Annyeong~! ^3^