Chapter 14

The Wish Your Heart Made

SM entertainment’s biggest practice room had a different atmosphere today.

 

Compared to the bubbly, noisy, chatter-filled room, today it was tense, somber and filled with nervous energy.

The curtain clouds that had been there for so long and had stood as an SM symbol did nothing to cheer them up.

 

50 girls were huddled together in the middle.

 

By talent and length of stay in the company, Haejin and her friends stayed in front.

From the corner of her eye, Haejin could see Jina biting her nails.

She hadn’t seen the girl do that in years.

She’d been told to stop that habit because it was unbecoming of a future idol.

 

 

 

Haejin reached out for Jina’s free hand and clutched it.

Jina faced her and mouthed a ‘thanks’

 

Though Haejin’s face was set with a blank expression, she was probably the most nervous one of all.

 

She has to make the cut.

 

She just has to.

 

 

Her parents would send her to the states and force her to be a doctor or lawyer again if she didn’t.

 

It would simply break her.

 

 

And Kai, oh good lord, Kai

 

She didn’t even want to start thinking about him

 

 

 

 

He’d be sad for her.

Cry for her even

 

He’d do everything he can so that she’d have another shot at it.

 

He’d—

 

“Alright. Everyone listen up.” The voice of one of SM’s most feared staff rang. He walked in the room bringing the piece of paper that held everyone’s fate.

 

“Kim Youngmin sajang-nim, along with Lee Soo Man sajang-nim, has decided to debut a new girl group. After Exo’s huge success, Lee Soo Man has suggested that there be a new girl group as their female equivalent.”

“so today, ladies, I will tell you the criteria.”

 

“FIRST! There would be a 10 member group, which would be divided into two; Just like Exo”

“Second, one group would stay here in Korea while the other one would stay in the US” a wave of murmurs rippled through the crowd.

Haejin felt her heart almost fall out of her chest.

English speakers

 

They would need fluent English speakers.

Between the 50 girls, there were only five fluent English speakers.

 

And Haejin was one of them.

She closed her eyes for a long second and prayed.

Not the English group

 

If she gets accepted to the English group, it would all be in vain.

 

 

 

“Third, Those two groups would have two different concepts, one would be y and the other one innocent”

 

 

“The first group would have three dancers and two vocals, while the second one will have three vocals and two dancers.”

 

“The first competition for the line up is in three weeks. We’d expect nothing but the best from all of you. You would have to train your hardest because this isn’t just dancing and singing anymore. This is the real deal. You are going to be idols. And idols are worshipped.” He looked at them in their eyes. “you are dismissed.”

 

 

 

A collected sigh of relief echoed through the room.

 

It was a 10 member group.

 

They had fair chances compared to 5 member groups or less.

 

 

 

They all went home for brunch and Haejin noticed some of the girls throwing glimpses at her.

 

“okay, what did I do?”Haejin finally said as Eunhwa practically stopped eating to gawk.

 

“You’re definitely going to get in that y group. You’re practically everything they need. You speak English, you dance too well and you’re basically the epitome of y among us.” Eunhwa said without filter.

 

“but what about Kai?” Hyori said in a quiet voice.

 

“Guys, don’t start with me. You all know that I’d rather get skinned alive than go to America willingly. And you guys all dance and sing well too. And duh, of course I won’t leave the best boyfriend ever just for a dream that wouldn’t mean anything without him.”

 

 

“You’d still have a better chance than I would” Sora spoke up. She sounded hurt and bitter. When she caught Haejin’s gaze, all Haejin could see was fear.

 

 

“Gomenasai..I’m sorry.. I..I’m so sorry. Excuse me.” Sora said as she abruptly stood up; wiping a tear that had slipped down her cheek.

 

She ran to her room leaving the girls feeling bad.

 

“I’ll go talk to her. It’s been hard for her these past few days.” Minji said as she cast the group a sad smile. Afterwards, she went to follow Sora to her bedroom.

 

If Haejin didn’t like how she was feeling earlier, then it was nothing compared to how she felt now.

 

She just felt plainly awful.

 

 

What’s worse was Kai was calling her again

 

 

She excused herself and went to the solitude of her room.

 

She sat on the bed, gripping the sheets with one hand.

She answered the call hearing Kai’s relieved tone

 

“Ch..Chagiya” she said between quiet sobs

 

“what’s wrong?” Kai asked, completely worried

 

“c…can you come over?”

 

 

 

 

As soon as Kai arrived, he went straight to Haejin’s room, only exchanging a few pleasantries with the other girls.

 

 

Kai gingerly opened the door, careful not to disturb if ever Haejin had fallen asleep.

He sighed in relief when he saw Haejin awake, standing in front of the bedside table looking at their picture.

 

He knocked on the door twice to make his presence known. Haejin, however, didn’t hear. She was so deep into her thoughts and fears that it swallowed her whole and the world went mute.

 

Kai let go of the doorknob and walked towards Haejin, giving her a back hug. Haejin squeaked in surprise but later relaxed when she found out that it was Kai.

 

 

 

 

“What’s wrong?” Kai asked though he knew what had happened. His manager told him that the new group was being formed. But still, he wanted to hear it from Haejin; especially now that she had ignored him for so long.

“I’m scared” she said, it was barely audible.

 

“don’t be. Everything will be okay.” His grip on her waist tightened but it did nothing to assure Haejin. Instead panic rose up like bile in and all she wanted was to throw up.

 

“If I get sent to America, will you break up with me?” Haejin asked as she broke away from the hug and faced Kai. Her expression was unreadable. But Kai knew that she had turned guarded again.

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

 

“The new group would be divided in two and one of them will be sent to America. And I’m almost sure that I’m one of them.” Haejin kept up a straight face but deep inside she was already weeping.

 

“Chagiya.. no. Don’t be like this. It hasn’t even happened yet.” Kai assured as he tried to reach out to her.

 

“But what if it does happen, Kai, what am I supposed to do?” Haejin’s voice rose to a few octaves higher.

 

“Then I’d still be here for you.” Kai said with a determined tone. “we are not breaking up.”

 

“how are you so sure?” Haejin asked, sounding defeated.

 

“I just am.” He went near and cupped Haejin’s face, planting tender kisses on her face.

 

But Haejin knew

 

 

She knew nothing was resolved.

 

This was just the beginning of the end.

divider.png

~*~Author's Note~*~

Uhm. Hey everyone. Naneulsaranghae here. I still hope that you’d still like this story, even though ArtisticSeoul isn’t here anymore *sobs like an ugly cray-cray woman

I’ll try my best to continue this and I hope you’ll support me all the way.

do comment, subscribe and whatnot. I would really appreciate it.

thank you

<3

-NS