Chapter 15

The Wish Your Heart Made

As Haejin lay on her bed and stared at the ceiling, she saw nothing but her own thoughts flashing over her head.

 

America.

 

She could go to America.

 

Haejin Jung, performing as a KPOP artist in America.

 

She closed her eyes; it was like irony had become a person; an escaped convict, who took control of a steamroller and pressed her flat against her fate.

 

Oh, how cruel irony could be. And she thought she had dodged the red, white and blue bullet for good.... Turns out, it was a cheap boomerang that came ricocheting back around to hit her in the back of the head. Hard.

 

 

“You know, this might not even happen,” Kai reassured. “SM always redefines stuff like this, and you never know where you’ll end up; I mean, I almost ended up in EXO-M, and had to learn lots of Mandarin for it, but I ended up in K anyways. They might not even create a group for America; I mean, look at what happened to BoA when she made American music—it was a big flop.”

 

“I speak English fluently, I’m one of the better dancers of the company, which is what they’re looking for, and I’m not cute; I’m a ier kind.” Haejin’s quick retort made Kai fall silent.

 

“It’s written in stone already, Jongin.” Kai frowned, before he sighed and shook his head. There was silence, before he spoke again.

 

"Jagi..." Kai's voice caused Haejin to open her eyes and she looked to her left, where Kai leaned against her dresser, as he had been for the past two hours. She winced; he hadn't moved a muscle.

 

"You should eat something," he encouraged gently. Haejin's mouth twitched in indifference.

 

“I’m not hungry,” she replied monotonously. She looked bleakly at the ceiling. “If you are, go get something.”

 

“I’m good,” Kai replied after a few moments. Haejin frowned.

 

“You know, you can do something without me around for once, Jongin.”

 

“I don’t want to,” he replied immediately. Again, Haejin winced and fell silent. After a few moments, she spoke again.

 

“I’m surprised… I thought you were mad at me.”

 

She could see Kai frown out of the corner of her eye, before he shook his head. “Don’t worry about that right now; it was nothing.”

 

“But I cut you off…” Haejin sat up, looking at him before her eyes fell in sadness. “…Again.”

 

“Haejin, it’s fine. You don’t have to worry, really—” Kai looked up and over at his girlfriend, before his expression softened.

 

Because it was not fine. With another sigh, he took a step forward and sat down beside her. He began to comfortingly rub her back, his fingers massaging her skin and entangling themselves in her hair.

 

“You haven’t shut me out like that in a long time,” he murmured. Haejin didn’t say anything.

 

“Do you want to talk about it?” he asked softly. Haejin sighed.

 

“It’s just… After all this time, and I resort to THAT when I get stressed,” she whispered. Kai looked down.

 

“I don’t want to be like them,” she added, almost too quiet for Kai to hear.

 

But Kai heard, and his heart began to ache. He looked back at Haejin, and saw that her eyes were swimming with emotions. She was now staring blankly ahead, her eyes unknowingly fixating themselves on her drawer.

 

**

 

“We’ve been so good to you and you decide to do this to us! Is this how you repay us?!” There was a sound of glass breaking as Mrs. Jung threw her dinner plate into the sink angrily. She rushed back over to the living room, where Haejin stood.

 

“Good to me?! You’d smothered me to the point to where I couldn’t express myself without getting in trouble!” Haejin retorted.

 

“I can’t believe you; going behind our backs and wasting your time! You… You traitor!” Mr. Jung flanked his wife, and Haejin could practically see the rage emanating from him.

 

“This wasn’t a waste of time! Do you know how many people get accepted into SM Entertainment, let alone get accepted on their FIRST audition?” Haejin asked.

 

“I don’t care! You’ve ruined our plans for you! You were going to turn out to be so lovely and now… Now you’re just garbage.” Mr. Jung glowered at his daughter in disgust.

 

Haejin blinked in shock… Garbage?

 

“Everyone in the Jung family line has become successful doctors, lawyers, surgeons, or managers of companies that they built FROM THE GROUND. Has anyone become a dancer? Absolutely not and do you know why? Because dancers are not successful; they have no stability in their career, and the music industry is a junkyard of useless people and talent.

 

Haejin listened to each word like it was her father’s last, feeling each syllable pierce into the sensitive part of her heart. However, she did not show that she was hurt.

 

She did what she did best. Crossing her arms calmly over her chest, she put on a stoic face.

 

“So, that whole congratulatory attitude back at SM was just a fluke, I see.”

 

“You’re damn right it was; we could never be happy about such an abomination! You’ve ruined our lives, Haejin!” Mrs. Jung was seething. Haejin didn’t even bat an eye.

 

“Well, I’m glad you at least know how to act happy; I’m glad they programmed that emotion into your stupid, mechanical brains. In fact, I’m surprised you’re losing your cool now… I thought you two were perfect robots.”

 

Her parents stared at her, before Mrs. Jung let out a scream of frustration and stormed out of the room. Mr. Jung was shaking with anger, and he pointed a finger at Haejin and shouted from the top of his lungs:

 

“You’re a disappointment! You always will be!”

 

**

 

“Haejin?” Haejin blinked, and she no longer saw the memory of her parents disowning her in front of her, but saw her drawer again.

 

“Haejin-ah,” Kai shook her slightly. “Are you alright?”

 

Haejin was about to say no; her heart screamed for her to say no…

 

…But she still couldn’t let go. Haejin sighed, smiled, and turned to Kai.

 

“I’m tired of moping around; let’s go get something to eat, okay?” She put a hand on Kai’s shoulder.

 

Kai looked at her, concern twisting his expression. “Haejin?”

 

“Sitting around here isn’t going to make me feel any better.” Haejin stood up. “My treat?”

 

Kai hesitated, his eyes searching hers for any emotion he saw previously, but he found none. With a quiet sigh, he nodded and stood up. “As you wish, milady.” He smiled down at her, all the while knowing that Haejin was covering up her feelings again…

 

…But she wasn’t shutting him out like she did earlier.

 

“Let’s go then!” Haejin began to walk out of the room with Kai following behind, but after taking a few steps, Haejin turned around and faced her boyfriend.

 

“What?” Kai asked. Haejin merely smiled, leaned upwards and planted a soft, yet long kiss on his lips. Kai hesitated but only for a second before he kissed her back.

 

“Thank you for everything,” Haejin whispered once she pulled away. She then reached down and laced her hand with his. She gave it a squeeze. “I don’t know where I’d be without you, and I mean that.”

 

Kai gazed upon her, before he smiled softly. “Back at you, babe.”

 

Haejin gave him a final smile, before she turned away from him and they exited the room.

 

In that turn, her smile faded.

 

 

 

 

 

~*~Author's Note~*~

Eek!! Guys, it's been a while!!! Hope you're all doing okay!! :D

Man, I would have gotten this chapter up sooner, had it not been for FIREFOX CRASHING ON ME, AND MY LAPTOP CRASHING ON ME THREE TIMES 

in which case i'm hella surprised and hella angry...

BUT! here you go, guys!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thanks for reading!

;)