Chapter 12

The Wish Your Heart Made

Haejin and Kai arrived at SM Entertainment within the hour, and as their car approached the building, Kai slowed down. He passed where he would usually park, and began to circle the building.

 

"What are you doing?" Haejin's voice broke through the soft grumble of the engine.

 

"Circling the building." Kai's response was quiet."Put your hood up."

 

Haejin glanced at him; Kai had put on a hat, and popped the collar to his shirt. He also put on a surgical mask, as well as sunglasses, even though the sun was barely out and he was struggling to see. Haejin eyed him, before shaking her head and pulling up her hood and keeping her head low, folding her arms over her chest.

 

Because now Kai decides that he should use protection? Give me a break, she thought to herself.

 

Kai was leaning over the wheel, trying desperately to see through the dusk. Haejin glanced at him.

 

"Take those off; you're gonna crash," she advised coolly.

 

"What if they recognize me?" Kai snapped.

 

"Who will recognize you?" Haejin shot back.

 

"They-- I mean that's why I'm--THEM." Kai pointed with one finger out the window. Haejin followed his finger, before she swallowed hard.

 

There were dozens of teenage girls surrounding the building, and reporters joined them. They littered the front lawn, the parking lot, stood next to the doors, and were even across the street. Almost all of them had cameras in hand. Haejin leaned back in her seat, disbelief washing over her. Kai sighed, and passed them, turning down the street.

 

"Who are they waiting for?" The question even sounded stupid in Haejin's head, but sounded worse when expelled.

 

But the answer was much worse.

 

"Us."

divider.png

It took Kai ten minutes to find a safe parking spot, in SM's garage about a block away from the building itself. There wasn't a fan in sight. Kai stepped out of the car and into the cool darkness of the garage, glancing around anxiously. Haejin got out as well, hoisting her bag over her shoulder uncomfortably.

 

Before she could adjust herself, Kai was already walking away. Haejin quickly caught up with him.

 

"They're wasting precious sleep; it's not even four thirty in the morning," she muttered. Kai said nothing, only walked faster.

 

"This way," he instructed, nodding toward a set of stairs that led down into a dimly lit tunnel. They trekked down the stairs, the echo of the sound of their feet tapping on concrete being the only sound heard.

 

The tunnel was dark, despite there being lamplights every ten feet on either side. Everything echoed, and the sound threatened to swallow Haejin up. It almost pained her to make any noise, but she continued walking.

 

"I never knew about this tunnel," she whispered as they walked.

 

"Everyone finds out about it once they become an idol here," Kai replied quietly. He increased his speed. "Whenever an idol is in some kind of trouble with the paparazzi, or there's a nasty rumor going around or they're out late, they take this tunnel; it's underground, and leads to the basement of SM. You need a code to get through the door, but I know the code so we're okay."

 

Haejin didn't reply, but only nodded and tried to keep up with him. As they passed a light, she could make out his form. His forehead glistened with nervous sweat, and his eyes were wider than usual. His teeth were gritted.

 

"Jongin," Haejin started. "It's okay."

 

"I know." His reply was quick, breathless. Haejin pulled him back on his arm.

 

"It's not like we need to run there."

 

Kai didn't answer. He merely reached for her hand, and grabbed it, holding it tightly and interlocking the fingers. They continued on.

divider.png

Once they reached the door, Kai punched in the number "0983". The door clicked, and Kai it open.

 

Chanyeol was on the other side, and had been leaning on the door. He fell forward when the door opened, and let out a yelp. However, he quickly regained balance and swiveled around to see the two of them.

 

Kai and Haejin emerged, and was met with familiar faces, much to their surprise. Along with Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Luhan, and SHINee's Taemin were there. Minji and Eunhwa were there as well. Kai let go of Haejin's hand.

 

"Thank god you're here." Kyungsoo began to walk, as did the others. They surrounded the two. "Manager-hyung's waiting for you; hurry up!"

 

"What happened?" Luhan asked Kai.

 

"Someone forgot to wear a disguise," Taemin answered for Kai. "And now he's gotta pay the price."

 

"Will you not make it sound like that?" Luhan shot at Taemin. "He's not going to get in trouble!"

 

"We don't know that," Minji replied worriedly.

 

"We have to clear his name; how are we going to do that?" Chanyeol asked.

 

"It's not up to us," Kyungsoo called calmly. He was a few steps ahead of the others. "It's up to SooMan-hyung, or the manager."

 

They quickly made it to the end of the basement floor to the elevators, where Kyungsoo repeatedly jabbed at the elevator button that would take them up. Haejin surveyed all of them, her expression unreadable. However, on the inside, she was shaking like a leaf. People met the two of them here, and they had mixed emotions. Taemin was cool as a cucumber, and was sure Kai wouldn't get in trouble. Kyungsoo took a professional stance, but was anxious. Luhan looked very nervous, his hair wildly sticking up in all sorts of directions. Chanyeol looked exhausted.

 

What would happen to them?

 

"Porcelain, are you okay?" Minji's voice reached Haejin's ears, and she felt the older girl's hand on her shoulder. Haejin turned to Minji and nodded. Eunhwa joined the two of them.

 

"It's just a slip-up," she reassured. "It'll get fixed, right? They'll probably pay people to get rid of the evidence, right?"

 

"No, not this time." Taemin spoke up, leaning against the wall. "It's not serious enough to waste money on. They'll probably send out a message saying either that wasn't you, or you were being a nice guy and were helping a girl up after she fell."

 

Luhan turned to the sunbae. "Why are you so calm about this?"

 

Taemin looked at Luhan like he had grown a second head, before shrugging casually. "This happens all the time. You'll be fine," he said to Kai. "You'll probably get a smack on the hand and a warning, but that's it.... Why didn't you wear a disguise, anyway?"

 

Kai sighed, hesitant. "I thought I didn't need it," he confessed sheepishly. "My car was just down the street..."

 

Taemin groaned. "It makes literally no sense; the day you actually wear a disguise is when ABSOLUTELY NO ONE is around, and the time you forget to wear one, suddenly there're fans everywhere!"

 

Kai threw a thankful glance at Taemin, before looking down. The elevator "ding"ed and the door opened.

 

"Finally," Kyungsoo breathed, and the eight of them clambered into the elevator.

 

"Good thing this elevator's big enough," Chanyeol muttered. They nodded in agreement, and waited in silence as the elevator took them up. Once they reached the right floor and the door opened, they filed out of it quickly. Once everyone was out, Kyungsoo led the way once again.

 

"He's waiting just around the corner on the right," he called over his shoulder. The others followed him in silence.

 

"You might want to take off your disguises now," Minji advised. Kai nodded and pulled off the mask and the hat. Haejin pulled down her hood. Both of them had already taken their sunglasses off.

 

When they rounded the corner, they saw EXO's main manager leaning against the wall, on the phone. When he noticed the group, he ended the call abruptly and put his phone in his pocket. He looked tired; Haejin pursed her lips.

 

The manager looked at Kai, then at Haejin. "You two, come with me..." He surveyed the others. "What?" he asked. "Don't you have somewhere to be?"

 

The group looked amongst themselves nervously, before Taemin eventually led them away. Haejin and Kai glanced at each other.

 

"Come in here, guys." The manager opened the door next to him, revealing a small office. He held the door open for the two of them, and once they were inside, he walked in as well, shutting the door quietly behind him.

 

Haejin watched the manager closely. Kai looked at the ground in shame, and crossed his hands behind his back. The manager stood before them, and sighed briefly.

 

"Well, guys, we're in a pickle aren't we?" he started. Kai and Haejin said nothing.

 

"Is this the first time you've been caught?" he asked.

 

"Yes," Haejin replied.

 

"How long have you been together?"

 

"Two and a half years," Haejin replied again.

 

"Wow." The manager didn't sound angry; in fact, he sounded impressed and calm. "Okay. Well, the good news is that no one knows who Haejin is, and they didn't catch her face. I just got off the phone with a higher-up, who said that we can just dismiss the rumor as false. They're trying to say that you're dating this girl," he turned to Kai. "Which they can't prove, so we're going to explain it before things get out of hand."

 

"Yes, hyung," Kai bowed. The manager shook his head.

 

"Why didn't you wear a disguise?" he asked.

 

"I thought I didn't need it," Kai replied after a moment, biting his lip.

 

"Tsk, tsk. I thought I taught you better than that."

 

"You did, and I'm sorry; it won't happen again," Kai apologized.

 

"You're right; it won't. You're lucky you were in a crowd."

 

Kai nodded, not meeting his manager's gaze. They were silent, before the manager nodded.

 

"Okay, I think I've intimidated you enough; you two go on back to your activities. I just wanted to make sure you two were sorry and to tell you what's going to happen." The manager walked back to the door and opened it. Haejin bowed, and walked out. Kai began to follow, but was stopped by the manager.

 

"She's a real icicle, isn't she?" he observed quietly. Kai smiled slightly and nodded.

 

"Phew! I would've thought you had a blow-up doll for a girlfriend or something. Wow..." Kai shook his head and left the room, hearing the door close behind him.

 

Haejin was waiting at the end of the hall, looking out one of the windows. Kai approached her, and put an arm around her.

 

"That was close, huh?" he laughed nervously, kissing her temple. Haejin didn't move. Her arms were crossed and her expression was vacant.

 

"Jagiya?" Kai looked at her, worry beginning to write itself on his face.

 

After a moment, Haejin responded. She turned to him. "Yes?"

 

Kai frowned. "Everything okay?"

 

Haejin was unblinking. "Yes," she replied calmly.

 

Kai's brow furrowed more, and he studied her. She had on an emotionless expression...

 

Why was she still acting like this? "Haejin, what's wrong?" he asked, pulling her closer. Haejin stepped out of his grip, taking two crisp steps back, her arms still folded. Kai was confused.

 

"Haejin..." He stepped closer. Again, two steps back. Kai opened his mouth to speak, then closed it, before his shoulders slumped.

 

"What?" Nothing. "Are you mad at me?"

 

Still nothing.

 

"Upset?"

 

Her expression did not change. Kai sighed.

 

"I can't fix it unless you tell me," he muttered. Haejin stared at him, unblinking.

 

"Are you really going to do this to me..." Kai's murmur was soft and he looked around before locking eyes with her again. "What's wrong???"

 

Haejin uncrossed her arms, but clasped her hands behind her back. She brought her feet together and stood up straight.

 

Then, she smiled. A small, plastic smile, and her eyes were completely guarded. Kai looked at her in defeat, gave a slow shake of his head.

 

"No. No, don't..." Then he rolled his eyes and huffed in frustration. "Fine. If you're going to be like this, then I'm no use here, just like everyone else. So if you snap out of it, you know where to find me." He turned and began to walk away, before turning back.

 

"Because I tell other people where I'm going, and I'm pretty readable." Then, he sauntered away.

 

Haejin merely stared after him a moment longer, before turning and looking out the window once again.

divider.png

~*~Author's Note~*~

I'm a woman of my word! Here's the rest of the chapter I was talking about yesterday; isn't it huge? I've been writing it for five hours now XD

And you guys are subs of your word!! Thank you so much for the two votes, and for getting this fic to 80 subscribers! :D It makes me so happy to see that so many of you are keeping in touch with this story. You guys inspire me, which is exactly what I need right now, so keep it up!!!

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter; not everything is rainbows and sunshine with this couple, we find out D:

There's another chapter on the way-- I might post it sooner than you think ;)

See you guys (VERY) soon ;)

-AS