The Secret

Road to...

Ryuji looked out the window of the cafe. He drummed his fingers lightly on the table and and smiled at the waitress who served his coffee. Time really flies, he thought as he brought the cup to his lips. He eyed a table a few feet away from him. The four-seater had a huge 'reserved' sign perched on it, waiting for the guests to claim it.

He checked his watch again and it was just two minutes before five. Just then, the door of the cafe opened with a jingle, announcing the arrival of his guest. Or guests.

"You really picked an obscure cafe," Seunghyun said as he sat down across from Ryuji. Jiyong sat down beside Seunghyun while Youngbae settled on the last available seat beside Ryuji. The guys had mastered the art of disguise - Youngbae had on a beanie with no make-up, opting to go without shades since he only owned flashy ones. Jiyong was dressed in an old grey hoodie with it up and covering his head. Seunghyun had on a cap pulled low over his face and a plain looking pair of glasses. They were carrying messenger bags and backpacks, looking nothing like the idols they were - more like the staff that usually trailed along.

"Glad you could make it," Ryuji said as he pulled out a cap from his bag and slapped it on. "Just don't move and react until I say so. Believe me."

The guys all exchanged looks, staring at Ryuji uncertainly. The bell jingled once again, allowing the guests in to claim the reserved table.

Youngbae's eyes widened in surprise but Ryuji glared warningly at Jiyong and Seunghyun who had their backs to the door. Youngbae turned back to Ryuji with his mouth agape.

"Do you want to leave the pram here? We'll get them to remove this chair?" a familiar voice reached their table. Youngbae watched as Gina motioned for the waiter to remove one of the chairs. Anri was already seated on one of the chairs, setting all her shopping bags on the floor.

"Is Ryuji picking you up later or should I drive you back to the hotel?" Anri asked.

Seunghyun's heart was beating fast and loud enough for everyone to hear, he was sure. Gina, Anri, a pram. That means...

"He said he'll come - I told him that you bought a mountain of presents for Seung Min. I wonder if we'll be able to carry everything back to Japan with us!" Hyomin trilled excitedly as she parked her pram. Gina was eagerly waiting for Hyomin to hand the baby to her.

"Yah! Haven't you carried him enough? It's my turn!" Anri protested as Gina sat down beside her with Seung Min in her arms. Hyomin's gentle laughter sent chills down Seunghyun's spine and Jiyong could see his hands trembling ever so slightly.

Jiyong tapped the table lightly to get Ryuji's attention. "You knew. Why only tell us now? And have you been taking care of her all this while?"

"Noona didn't want you to know. But Sajangnim has known all along. He was sworn to secrecy, in exchange for Hyomin maintaining contact with him. He has been looking after her very well. I'm being paid to watch over her and your son," Ryuji said as he took a quick glance at Seunghyun. "She started writing lyrics for you again, in your son's name."

"My son..." Seunghyun muttered in awe, resisting the urge to turn around. "Choi Seung Min."

Youngbae sighed as everything clicked. He had thought it strange that they had connected with the new lyrics so easily. It had been Hyomin's work, that's why.

"Sajangnim got her an apartment, visited her when she gave birth and has been sending her payments for the lyrics. Each time they met, he would ask her to come back to Seoul but noona is so stubborn. She insists she's not ready yet," Ryuji confided.

The sombre mood was interrupted by Ryuji's phone springing to life with loud ringing. Hyomin's name flashed across the screen and as he scrambled to pick up the phone, three pair of eyes were already turned towards their way. Youngbae nudged Ryuji, letting him know that the game was over.

"Ryuji..." Hyomin muttered, shock written all over her face, phone still pressed against her ear.

Seunghyun stood up, pushing his chair back noisily and quickly closing the gap between them. Jiyong was on his feet too, watching over Seunghyun and Hyomin's reunion. "You..." Seunghyun growled, emotions choking him to the point of speechlessness.

Hyomin gulped visibly but broke out of her trance when loud whispers of "Big Bang?! They're here?" reached them. Ryuji noticed the group of school girls who were getting too excitable now and quickly hurried over. Youngbae watched nervously as Jiyong pulled him gently towards the door - the girls were already getting out of their seats, ready to approach Seunghyun at Hyomin's table.

"We need to go," Ryuji hissed as he tugged at Seunghyun's arm. Hyomin begged with her eyes for Seunghyun to go but he stood motionless. "Come with me." Seunghyun said. "Or I will not go."

"Hyung," Ryuji hissed urgently and this time, Anri got to her feet too and gave Seunghyun a push. "We're not ready for this," Hyomin whispered sadly as she threw a worried glance at Seung Min who was sleeping in Gina's arms. Seunghyun quickly realized that staying would mean selfishly exposing Seung Min and Hyomin to unnecessary attention to their fans.

"We need to talk," Seunghyun said as he took a step back. Anri pushed him firmly towards the rest of the members and motioned for them to go. "I'll send them back to the hotel. Ryuji can bring you over tonight. I promise."

With those reassuring words from Anri, Seunghyun finally allowed himself to be led out of the cafe and into the car, safely on the way back to YG.