Changes

Road to...

Hyomin sighed when she saw Gina’s email. Her friend had been “stalking” her online and collecting all related news clips and sending it to her daily. She turned in her seat and raised a brow at Gina, “I get it… People are interested in me, they are watching me, so therefore I need to be alert at all times. But not a karate class!”

Jiyong smiled to see the two girls banter and argue. He had called for a meeting with Hyomin to discuss his new solo comeback but it’ll be a while before Gina let them resume their discussions. And he didn’t mind – he could stare at Hyomin all day. It had been just a week since the incident but Hyomin was back at work as though nothing had every happened. She was more receptive now when they offered her a lift home after work. Gina had been the one who had briefed the boys to look out for Hyomin – not that Jiyong needed any reminding.

“You’re going to be living alone again, it’s good to know some self-defence,” Gina nagged. Jiyong looked up with interest – he didn’t know that Hyomin was moving out again. “Where are you moving to?” Hyomin smiled at his curiosity.

“It was quite unexpected but Mrs. Choi called me a few days ago to ask how I was. We were chatting and somehow the topic of apartment hunting came up and she introduced her real estate agent friend to me. I got a good deal because of Mrs. Choi and she even helped me to arrange for the movers today,” Hyomin said excitedly. “That’s why I need to leave in an hour’s time and I will be staying in my new place starting from tonight!”

“Ahhh… Seunghyun hyung’s mother? That was really nice of her,” Jiyong said blankly. “So have you met with hyung recently?” Hyomin shook her head, “isn’t he filming some retakes? He won’t be back in Seoul until…” Hyomin turned to check her folder, “next week, it says here.”

Jiyong was no longer in the mood to work and asked for the meeting to be postponed. Hyomin didn’t mind as that meant she could start unpacking at her new home earlier. Jiyong offered her a lift, which she graciously accepted. As they left YG, fans were gathered again and Hyomin quickly ducked into his car. The media had gone into a frenzy over her near-death and there were more frequent updates on her well-being now. Her fashion was still closely monitored by fans and even idols from other companies were now commenting how they were glad she was ok and hoped that there will be a chance to work together.

Jiyong was pleased to see that she had moved into a good neighborhood. The apartment building was newer with better security and he knew of some idols that also lived here. Mrs. Choi picked a good place for Hyomin, definitely an upgrade from the last place!

It was a one-bedroom apartment with a good view of the Han River. There was a supermarket nearby with public transportation options just a stone’s throw away. Just as Hyomin finished showing Jiyong around the empty space, the doorbell rang and the movers started shifting her belongings in. Right on their heels were Anri and Seungri – Hyomin’s designated assistants for the day.

“Yah! You should be grateful that I’m helping you!” Seungri teased as he started moving boxes to the room. Hyomin did an elaborate bow before stacking another box in his arms. “Don’t drop it!” Jiyong looked around, lost and not knowing what to do. “Jiyong Oppa, help me with the kitchen? Hyomin can set up her bathroom and then unpack in her room later,” Anri instructed.

The sun was setting when they had finally finished. Jiyong was glad that Seungri had an extra T-shirt and waited for Seungri to be done with his shower. Anri was putting away the vacuum cleaner and Hyomin was already working in the kitchen to make dinner. He slipped out to the balcony and enjoyed the balmy evening breeze. He turned back and saw Hyomin smile as their eyes met. She was setting the dinner – looks like dinner was almost ready.

Is this what it'll be like to live together? Jiyong wondered as a warm blush spread across his face. Our own warm home, with her cooking for me and me, playing with Gaho, probably? We could huddle on that sofa and watch DVDs when I return from work…

He entered the living room and joined Hyomin in the kitchen. Hi daydream burst when he discovered Anri in the kitchen too, who was now nagging at him to bring the glasses out too. He escaped the chores when Seungri came out to let him use the shower.

It almost felt like a double date, what with Anri and Seungri’s cute little arguments throughout dinner while Hyomin and Jiyong peacefully helped themselves to the food. They would laugh at Anri and Seungri’s antics and jokes. Soon, it was time for Anri to go home and Seungri was tasked to see her back.

“Oppa, I can manage,” Hyomin said but Jiyong insisted on helping her with the wash-up. The last time the group had eaten at Hyomin’s old apartment, there were so many people that Jiyong had not needed to lift a finger. Now, as he stood beside her – Hyomin washing and Jiyong drying the dishes; he felt a sense of calm, with a tinge of nervousness.

“Aish!” Hyomin hissed as she quickly stuck her hands under the tap to rinse off the subs. Jiyong saw that she had cut herself on the knife while washing and her finger was bleeding. “Let me see,” he said as he pulled her hand up to take a closer look. Even after dabbing at it, bright red blood welled up from the cut. “It’s not stopping,” Jiyong said as he pulled her finger to his lips and on it gently.

Stunned and speechless, Hyomin stood still, staring at Jiyong. She could feel his tongue gently caress her finger and the warmth of his lips. Jiyong looked up suddenly, his eyes meeting hers through his fringe and Hyomin quickly tugged her hand back. “It just needs a band-aid,” Hyomin said, trying to hide her blushing face as she rummaged for one in the cupboard. The effect Jiyong had on her at that moment was not lost to him. He came up behind her and took the band aid from her. Very gently, he wrapped it around the cut. “It’s done,” he said before ruffling her hair. “Be careful.”

Hyomin tried to smile back but her heart was beating so fast that she could hardly even hear him. “I think I’ll go now,” Jiyong said, deciding that it was enough for one day. He was certain that Hyomin was now aware of his presence as a man interested in her – not just a good friend anymore. He picked up his bag and put on his sneakers. Hyomin had come out to see him off.

“Good night and have a good rest,” Jiyong said as he stood up. He pulled at her injured hand, looking at the bandaged finger closely again. Hyomin just thought he was checking the wound but he pressed his lips on it, staring straight into her eyes. Hyomin gulped and pulled her hand back, tucking her hair behind her ear self-consciously. “Good night, Oppa.”

Just as Jiyong turned to open the door, the doorbell rang. "Courier service," the deliveryman said as he handed a medium-sized rabbit soft toy and a bouquet of lilies to Hyomin. "Who's it from?" Jiyong asked curiously while Hyomin was signing on the delivery slip. "Not sure, but there's a card here," Hyomin said distractedly as she sniffed at the toy. "Wait..." Jiyong took a sniff too and his eyes widened with realization.

"Seunghyun Oppa / Hyung!" they both exclaimed as the familiar cologne smell was accurately identified. "Aigoo, that oppa!" Hyomin huffed as she held the toy, "Spraying his cologne on the toy... Aish!" Jiyong laughed, amused by his hyung's possessive display but also amazed that Seunghyun had managed to make his presence felt with such good timing. "Don't you know that men are either like 'kids' or 'dogs'? He's leaving his scent behind. " Hyomin wrinkled her nose in confusion. Not to be outdone, Jiyong grabbed Hyomin into a tight hug - for a good three seconds, they didn't move.

"Oppa..." Hyomin said, her voice muffled by his strong hug. "Hyomin ah, remember my scent before you get corrupted by that hyung," Jiyong said, causing Hyomin to push him away and smack his chest lightly. "Aigoo, Oppa! There's something wrong with both you and Seunghyun oppa! Aish, go home now! Go!" Jiyong laughed as he bade her a final good night and Hyomin shut the door.

While he stood there staring at the door for a while, Hyomin was leaning against it on the other side, heart thumping and breathing hard. Ok, it was time to call Anri for a Pow-wow. Hyomin picked the soft toy rabbit up from the floor and placed it on the sofa. It'll be like having Seunghyun oppa in my bed if I bring it to the room... But what's up with them? Flirting with me?

Hyomin stepped into the shower and recalled what had happened after the YG Family concert a week ago.

FLASHBACK

"Did we do your stage justice?" Seunghyun asked casually. Surprisingly, he had been the first to finish changing and was now waiting with Hyomin for the rest. Hyomin had been left in that corner of the dressing room so that she wouldn't get in the way of the pack-up. He grab the handles and started to push her out of the room. "Where're we going?" Hyomin asked. "We'll just get in the way, let's wait outside. So how did we do?"  Seunghyun asked again.

"Awesome! I guess it's hard to pick us out from the audience but we were totally fangirling over everyone!" Hyomin giggled. "It's good to be part of the audience - different from watching the concert on the monitors backstage." They had now reached the holding area just before the parking lots where their vans were waiting.

"So I gave a perfect performance..." Seunghyun dragged out his sentence teasingly. Hyomin returned his gaze and looked away again once she felt a blush creeping to her cheeks. "No it wasn't," she said stubbornly. "How so?" Seunghyun asked, stumped for a moment because that wasn't what he had expected. "You added an extra line to your rap, which wasn't in the song, so it's not perfect," Hyomin said. Seunghyun had bent down so that his face was right in front of her.

"The part when I said 'Get well soon, Hyomin'? Aaahhh... what a pity," Seunghyun sighed. Hyomin relaxed once he straightened himself up. "Guess I'll have to steal it again then," Seunghyun said, causing Hyomin to raise her head to look at him in surprise at his statement. He swiftly bent down again and kissed her on her forehead before tilting his head down so that their noses touched.

"What are you doing Choi Seunghyun!" A familiar voice rang out. Hyomin and Seunghyun turned to see a huffing Anri hurrying over while Gina was laughing and trying to pull her back. Hyomin couldn't help but laugh at the comical sight and Seunghyun was bowing.

"I'm sorry Anri, but Hyomin is just too tempting," Seunghyun said, earning a smack from Hyomin. With gleaming eyes, she smiled at Seunghyun. "Stop flirting and playing games. You'll be in trouble if I accidentally fall in love with you!" 

Seunghyun smiled and while Anri and Gina were not looking, he whispered in Hyomin's ear. "I'm already in trouble because I want you to fall for me."