Crossroads

Road to...

Hyomin would have liked to look around the office a little more - there was so many figurines in this room! - but she was seated on a big chair with Jiyong beside her, facing sajangnim now. Seunghyun had joked that he was glad he won't be around for 'judgement' on CAFE but had texted Hyomin last night to reassure her that everything would be alright. The rest of Big Bang had enjoyed the song so much that they had recorded the demo together.Although Jiyong had complained a little, he had done very well with the falsetto. Hyomin had been very excited when they had completed it but she wasn't enjoying it as much now that she had to listen to it in sajangnim's office.

Sajangnim was listening with a really serious face, hands crossed and only bobbing his head to the song. Jiyong was grinning but Hyomin couldn't decide if it was a good sign or not. The last few notes faded off as the song ended. Sajangnim looked up at Hyomin and she gulped audibly from nervousness. "I like it."

Hyomin blinked - just three words after all the anxiety? "And I like your voice too," Sajangnim said. "You're still in school and you said you want to be a theater actress. Do you want to try being a trainee here? You can hone your singing and maybe try dancing too. But unlike the rest, I will pay you for the songs you write."

This definitely wasn't what Hyomin had been expecting when she left her apartment this morning. A trainee at YG? And did that even amount to a job offer? Her thoughts were interrupted by Sajangnim's voice again. "Jiyong is a scheming one... What he paid you was too little! You should charge him for each song," he flashed a fatherly smile. "Jiyong can definitely afford to pay you more." Sajangnim retrieved the notebooks from his desk and handed both to Hyomin.

"If you like, whatever you wrote and will write from now on will be yours to contribute to YG. Continue working with the family to write good songs and you can earn a fair fee," Sajangnim said as he slid an envelope to her. "Here's what I want to offer - no hurry, let me know by the weekend." Hyomin stared at the envelope and tuned out from Jiyong's jesting session with his CEO.

 

 

 

"What are you going to do?" Anri asked as Gina topped up their drinks. The three girls had gathered at the eatery - the ahjumma had recovered and asked that Hyomin bring her friends along for a good meal. Hyomin stuffed with the eggroll and washed it down with the soju. She shook her head, indicating that she hadn't made up her mind. "It's Friday already!"

Hyomin avoided her friend's glare and focused on her stew instead. Her phone buzzed and it was a call from Jiyong. "Why haven't you accepted the offer yet?" his loud voice causing Hyomin to wince and almost drop her phone. "Wae~? He said till the weekend so I technically have two more days," Hyomin said while trying to chew. Anri was texting surreptiously while Gina was busy getting more soju. "I'm with my friends so I'll call you back later."

The girls enjoyed their dinner and the eatery was slowly clearing out. It was only just past 9 but there was only them left. The old couple was staring to pack up and the girls were offering to help. Just then, the doors slid open a five young men walked in - too fashionable for any of the girls to NOT notice that it was Big Bang.  Jiyong bounded over happily and took off his shades in front of Hyomin. "This must be fate, Hyomin-sshi!"

Hyomin was shocked but managed to roll her eyes at Jiyong's over-dramatic greeting. She noticed Seungri making his way over to Anri and the two were talking animatedly, just like good friends. Hyomin looked at Jiyong, "why are you here?"

He pulled a stool out and sat down, folding his shades and leaving it on the table. "To eat dinner, of course!" Hyomin saw the old couple was getting ready to serve them but she knew the ahjumma should rest more. "They're closing! We're helping to pack up!" Hyomin said as she pulled Jiyong back up on his feet. The couple tried to stop Hyomin but she was adamant that the ahjumma rest. The guys were surprised by her sense of familiarity with the couple. "Why are you being like that?! We're hungry!" Seungri protested and Hyomin was ready to quarrel with him when she got an idea. The guys watched as she grabbed a big clean pot and started throwing ingredients into it. "You boys! Grab that box of soju!" Hyomin instructed. Seunghyun went to her and helped her carry the pot.

"What are you doing?" he asked. Hyomin smiled playfully. "The ahjumma just recovered from a cracked hip and she needs rest. My apartment is just round the corner so I'll feed you guys!" Seunghyun smiled and pulled his wallet out. He pulled out a stack of notes and handed it to the ahjusshi and grinned. "I'm buying dinner tonight!"

The ahjusshi tried to give him back some of the money but Seunghyun insisted he keep it. The ahjumma smiled happily and said, "you're in for a treat! I personally taught her how to cook. She's good!" The eight youngsters clambered out of the eatery and made their way to Hyomin's apartment. Youngbae and Daesung took turns to carry the heavy box of soju along the way and up the flight of steps to the apartment.

It was a small space for eight but Seunghyun saw that Hyomin kept it neat and tidy. The girls were busy in the kitchen while Seungri had been tasked with setting the table. He studied the pictures she had hung and the books she had. She had a wide range on interests - maybe that's why she was so imaginative. There was a guitar in the corner and some music books too. Seunghyun paused in front of an old photograph of a little Hyomin with her parents. She looked to be about five and she had clearly taken after her mother in looks. 

Seunghyun returned to the table and sat down with the guys. He noticed Daesung kept glancing to the kitchen and . "Food's coming, stop looking at the kitchen!" Daesung rubbed the back of his head shyly but Seungri and Youngbae laughed. "He's excited to eat Hyomin-sshi's cooking!" Youngbae smiled. "Our Daesung has a crush on her! He had singled her out from all of Seungri's photos right at the beginning!"

Daesung gestured for them to be quiet, fearing that the girls in the kitchen might have heard. “Ay! Stop spouting nonsense!” The guys managed to settle down in time for the girls to make an entrance with the food and drinks.

“You guys don’t sound hungry at all! So noisy!” Hyomin said as she set down the plate of eggrolls and kimbap. Gina was following right behind with grilled pork belly and grilled fish. Anri followed with the fresh vegetables and a whole tray of side dishes. Gina asked everyone to start first while she went to get the stew. Chopsticks started reaching out to the yummy food and it was a peaceful two minutes while the guys had their mouths full. Cheers arose when the stew made a grand appearance on the table.

The girls finally sat down together; they were still full from their own dinner but decided to just have drinks. Daesung filled their glasses and Hyomin thanked him. He smiled shyly and Youngbae was teasing again, “Yah! She only thanked you and you’re blushing! Are you going to explode when you eat her cooking?”

“Oh… What is this about?” Gina smiled inquisitively. “Does our Hyomin have an admirer?” Seunghyun laughed along with everyone but his eyes were on Hyomin. She didn’t seem affected much, smiling at the cheerful atmosphere and just going with the flow. Seungri was quick to spill the beans on Daesung picking Hyomin out from the photos. Although Gina and Anri questioned why he had all the girls’ photos in the first place, the attention was on Daesung and Hyomin again.

“Aigoo, it’s been a while since anyone said I was pretty!” Hyomin teased casually. ‘Thank you, Daesung-sshi!” She lifted her glass to toast Daesung but she swatted at Seungri’s head when he interrupted, “That’s because hyung’s eyes are so small that he can’t see clearly!”

A girl as rugged and outgoing as Hyomin had never been Seunghyun’s type – and the guys knew it too. Only Jiyong who had observed his odd behavior at the studio was watching his hyung to see how this would fold out. But Seunghyun only smiled and appeared to be enjoying himself – although he wasn’t talking much.

“So are you joining YG?” Youngbae asked. “Daesung will be happy to see you often!” Hyomin gave Youngbae a mock glare, hinting to him that the teasing should stop soon, while Daesung hung his head in embarrassment. “I might reject it if you don’t stop teasing Daesung-sshi soon,” Hyomin said and Daesung perked up immediately. She raised her hand up and he high-fived her when Jiyong joined their side and told Youngbae to shut it.

“I read through it,” Hyomin said, serious now. “It’s not a binding contract – as in the trainee position. But it does bind me as a lyricist for the next year. And I think if it’s a year, it’s worth a try. I don’t know how I’ll perform too in the year so it’s a good trial period I guess… But I wonder how school will be like – whether I’ll be able to juggle it well.”

Anri poked her side to get her to snap out of the serious mood. “Just try it, it’s just for a year. And you have no commitments, what are you afraid of?” Hyomin noticed Seungri dart a glance at Anri but he looked away just as quickly. Hyomin caught Seunghyun looking at her and she raised an eyebrow at him. “What do you think?”

Seunghyun was just as surprised as everyone else that she had asked for his opinion on this matter. He cleared his throat nervously and thought for a second. “If you don’t try, you won’t know. If there’s really nothing holding you back, why not? I enjoyed writing that song with you, didn’t you?”

Hyomin nodded thoughtfully and sat up straight suddenly. “Ok! I’ll do it!” Jiyong was happy but he whined, “Why didn’t you ask for my opinion???” Everyone laughed at his cute act. “That’s because I already knew what you’ll tell me and he’s my first ‘Oppa’!” Hyomin smiled easily as she filled everyone’s glasses again.

“First ‘Oppa’?” Youngbae looked at the two of them teasingly but Hyomin shook her head. Anri answered on her behalf, “Yup! She never called her boyfriends ‘Oppa’ before. She only dated guys the same age or younger.” Hyomin smacked her friend’s knee, “Yah! Your explanation will still make people wonder! I call him ‘Oppa’ only because he dictated it! Jiyong knows!”

“Ahhh… I want to be called ‘Oppa’ too…” Daesung said absentmindedly but everyone had heard. The three girls exchanged looks and playful grins.

“OPPA OPPA OPPA!!!!”