Guilt

Road to...

Gina stared blankly at the press release she had sent out just 30 minutes ago. It was already trending on all the major entertainment news portals and comments were flooding in.

G-Dragon injured during accident in Japan concert – thanks all fans for their concern.

“He’s lucky that he escaped with just a fractured wrist,” Gina whispered under her breath. She felt a warm hand squeeze her shoulder lightly.

“Don’t blame him. He never intended for it to happen this way,” Youngbae said softly. A single tear rolled down Gina’s cheek as she tried to choke back her tears. As much as she wanted to yell and lash out at Jennie, she couldn’t. Sajangnim had already instructed that no one reveal the true nature of Jiyong’s injury. We can’t let anyone know that our trainee did this.

“She’s just going to leave YG, unscathed. Her only punishment is that she can’t debut with YG anymore. But no one will ever know that she did it. She can still try for a career with SM or JYP…” Gina cried. “Who will know of the suffering that Hyomin is going through?”

Youngbae pursed his lips grimly, knowing how Gina felt. “Gina-ah, don’t cry now… If the truth gets out, people will be flocking to the hospital. Do you want them harassing Hyomin in her current state? To hide her, this is the only way.”

“They’re hiding not just for her!” Gina shouted. “They’re hiding for all of you!”

 

 

 

Jiyong stared at Hyomin through the glass. With his forehead leaning on the cool surface, his breath clouded the glass every so often.

“We need to go soon, our flight is in three hours,” his manager said gently, resting a firm hand on his charge’s shoulder. Jiyong stood unmoving, continuing to stare at Hyomin. He wanted to hear her voice so badly, but all that he heard were the beeps from the machines which told them that she was still alive.

Seunghyun stood up from where he had been seated for the past few hours. He released Hyomin’s hand and carefully tucked it under the blanket. Although he had the surgical mask on, he leaned in to kiss her gently on her forehead.

“I need to go now, but I’ll be back really quick. You’ve slept for a week already. Make sure you’re awake when I come back. Look forward to the souvenir that I’ll get from Japan.”

He pulled the mask off his face as he walked out of the ward ICU ward and pulled off the scrubs he had been dressed in. Jiyong finally turned away from the glass and hung his head low as he walked towards Seunghyun.

“We have to go,” Seunghyun said as he took his shades from his manager and pulled on his jacket. Jiyong nodded silently as he followed his friend out.

“It’s not your fault,” Seunghyun said once they were in the car. “The least you can do now is to make sure the concerts go well. She’ll blame you if you disappoint the fans. ”

“I’d rather you hit me,” Jiyong mumbled as he pulled his beanie over his reddening eyes. He crossed his arms tightly across his chest, trying to suppress his trembles and ragged breathing.

“I wish I could too,” Seunghyun said as he looked out the window. “But it won’t turn back time, would it?”

 

 

 

Watch over your hyungs. I’ve got Hyomin, don’t worry. Gina has calmed down too and has retracted her resignation. Don’t screw up the performances.

Seungri smiled sadly to see the encouraging words from Anri. He followed Daesung out of the car and they allowed their minders to usher them through the airport.

“We don’t have to pretend that things are ok,” Daesung said suddenly. “But we have to pretend that we’re having fun on the stage. That’s the least we can do for Hyomin and our hyungs.”

Seungri nodded and smiled to show his appreciation for Daesung’s kind words. They finally met up with the rest of the members at the boarding gate. Jiyong was sulking alone while Seunghyun had his arm protectively around him. Youngbae smiled and waved as the two youngest members finally arrived.

“She’s doing well,” Seunghyun smiled when Daesung asked about his visit to the hospital that morning. “You can see color returning to her face and doctors said she might wake up in the next couple of days.”

Seungri checked through his phone one last time before intending to switch off for the flight. He scrolled through his Twitter and Instagram, something catching his eye immediately.

Lee Hyomin in hospital because of G-Dragon… Accident?

“What are you doing? Let’s go!” Daesung called out to him. Seungri quickly plastered a smile on his face and followed his hyungs. What could they do?

 

 

 

Ryuji darted into the hospital quickly, keeping his head down and focused on his path. He slipped past the reporters who had started to camp outside the hospital ever since rumors started that Hyomin’s hospitalization was linked to Jiyong’s injury. As he turned the corner towards Hyomin’s ward, he was startled to see so many staff coming in and out of her room.

“Hyomin-“ Ryuji paused once he saw her seated upright in her bed and with Anri beside her. The two girls smiled and he felt his heart sink with relief. “You’re awake.”

“I am and about to be discharged,” Hyomin said as she slowly got up from her bed and moved carefully around her room. Ryuji turned to Anri who nodded gently. Hyomin was already grabbing a change of clothes and heading to the en-suite bathroom to change.

“She knows what’s happening outside,” Anri whispered once Hyomin was gone. “She really wants to leave before the media even realizes that she’s awake. I think she’ll be more comfortable at home too.”

“But Seunghyun hyung-“ Ryuji was cut off by a glare from Anri. He nodded meekly and left to make arrangements for Hyomin to leave the hospital secretly.

Despite Hyomin’s protests, Anri and Ryuji insisted to stay with her at least until she was able to move freely on her own. Knowing how stubborn Anri could be, Hyomin relented but warned Ryuji that Anri could be a fierce slave driver. “Much more demanding than me!” Hyomin teased.

She settled down on the couch and picked up her phone, checking for social media updates. She did a quick scan and called Ryuji over.

“Ryuji, I need a huge favor from you – so big that I don’t think I’ll be able to ever pay you back for it. It’s the most selfish request but I still hope you will say Yes.”

Two hours later, Ryuji was on the phone with Gina while Anri was consoling Hyomin.

“It’s for the best and you made up your mind,” Anri shushed her friend. “It’ll be alright.”