Interruption

Road to...

“Did you two fight?” Ryuji asked curiously. They were running a full sound and light check in the arena before Big Bang’s first rehearsal in a few minutes. The group was currently backstage recording a concert teaser for a Japanese TV show. The colorful lights lit up Hyomin’s grim face and she was mulling over whether to tell Ryuji the truth.

“You can’t hide things from me,” Ryuji said, earning an annoyed look from Hyomin. He was right, she could not hide anything from Ryuji. She was just mad that Seunghyun had morphed into a restrictive nag. That morning, he had forced her to change out of her jeans because he was afraid the skinny jeans will harm their unborn child. Hyomin relented and changed into a loose fitting shirt-dress and sneakers to avoid being late.

“It’s nothing, we’ll be fine.” Hyomin said. Ryuji handed her an opened bottle of water. “I know you’ll be fine. I just don’t want you to give birth to a cross and bad-tempered baby.”

Hyomin stared at him in shock and he raised his hands in surrender. “Breathe and don’t get mad. Hyung has every right to be worried and just wanted someone else to look out for you. He can’t be with you much at work – I’m the best person, he said.”

Ryuji’s words touched her and Hyomin found it hard to stay mad at Seunghyun. He was right, it would be weird if Seunghyun wasn’t concerned and anxious over her and their first child. She let a small smile escape and turned back to observe the stage.

It had only been days since they’d found out about her pregnancy but the symptoms were starting to show up. Just last night, she had a sudden craving for Japanese curry and fortunately for Seunghyun, it had been on the room service menu of their hotel.

“OK, are they ready?” Hyomin asked as she entered the waiting room where the filming had taken place. She was surprised to see a grim Jiyong and a familiar looking trainee. “You’re Jennie right? Why are you here?” Hyomin asked.

“She’s the back-up for the Crazy dancers. Sajangnim had picked four trainees to follow the tour as back-up for Crazy and Hi-Tech.” Ryuji explained.

Jennie bowed and greeted Hyomin timidly. “Hello Hyomin-unnie. I’m sorry, I got lost and wandered in here, not knowing the sunbaenims were resting here. I’ll go join the Crazy dancers now.”

Hyomin nodded and made to make way for her but the two of them ended up blocking each other for a while. When they finally managed to step past each other, Hyomin let out an easy laugh while her hand subconsciously went to her tummy. As she turned back to Big Bang, she almost knocked into a box of props and Ryuji pulled her back quickly.

“Nice save!” Hyomin cheered while Seunghyun let out an uneasy sigh of relief. It had been a wise choice to let Ryuji in on the secret. Jennie had turned back at Hyomin’s exclamation and saw Seunghyun’s strange expression as well as Ryuji’s relieved face. She also noted Hyomin’s casual laughter while her hand remained on her tummy.

“Be more careful,” Seunghyun said softly as they filed out of the room and onto the stage for rehearsals. Hyomin puffed her cheeks out and glared at him. “I know, you’re concerned about YOUR baby. Don’t worry, I will make sure YOUR baby is safe.”

Seunghyun sighed and hurried after the rest of the members. He should be focusing on the concerts but his mind kept wandering to Hyomin and was anxious that he only had Ryuji to count on to look after her. It was dark in the arena and set-up was dangerous since heavy equipment was being moved around and wires were being laid. He’d much rather have Hyomin resting in the hotel but that was not going to happen. She was being really stubborn and Seunghyun could only hope that their baby didn’t take after her in that particular trait.

Hyomin sighed as she watched Seunghyun jog away towards the stage. She knew he should be focusing on the concerts and she shouldn’t be losing her temper at him. He was a worry-wart; always concerned that she’ll get hurt and endanger their child. But this was her job and while they are keeping things under wraps, Hyomin was not going to let her pregnancy slow her down. She had worked hard for this stage to happen and she was determined to see through it all. Hyomin could only hope that their baby didn’t become a worry-wart like Seunghyun and will be an easy-going baby.

 

 

 

“…I think so too. Why don’t you ask him? He might know…”

Jiyong opened one eye and his make-up artist shushed him to close his eye again. It was the last performance in Osaka Dome before they returned to Seoul for the week and they will move on to Fukuoka next weekend. His curiosity was piqued by the gossip being whispered by the wardrobe ladies.

His make-up was finally done and he turned to the ladies. “Ask me about what, noona?”

They looked at him uncertainly before one of them finally spoke up. “Jiyong ah, you’re close to Hyomin right? Is she pregnant? We didn’t even know she’s married.”

Jiyong was glad he had pulled on his shades already and kept as straight a face as possible. “Why do you say that she’s pregnant?”

“We’ve noticed a few things – women tend to be more sensitive,” the other said. “Hyomin is always resting her hand on her tummy, she turned green at lunch yesterday when we placed the kimchi before her and she’s been avoiding alcohol at dinner!”

Jiyong decided that the only way was to play it cool until he could verify with Hyomin or Seunghyun. “She’s just not feeling well. She had gastric flu just before we left so she’s probably still on medication. Don’t think too much about her and focus on us, noona!”

Jiyong’s aegyo worked and the ladies dispersed to prepare their costumes for the concert. Jiyong found Seunghyun eating a light meal with Youngbae at the waiting area. As much as he wanted to ask his hyung, there were just too many people around now. He could ask Hyomin too but she wasn’t there.

“I would suggest to wait until this performance is over,” Ryuji whispered. Jiyong jumped a little, not expecting the man to have just crept up to his side. “You all need to focus on the concert first. You can interrogate them all you want after the night is over.”

Jiyong knew then that the wardrobe ladies’ suspicions had been right – and somehow, Ryuji knew even before the rest of Big Bang. He nodded silently and went to join his friends for a quick bite.

“Don’t eat all the egg rolls!” Jiyong exclaimed as he deftly claimed the last piece with his chopsticks. Seunghyun laughed at his childish display and offered him the kimbap. “I think it’ll be a great show tonight.”

“Oh yes! I can’t wait for the stage!” Youngbae smiled.

“I can’t wait for this stage to end.” Jiyong grinned.

 

 

 

Jennie slipped into the waiting room and found no one there. Strange… I’m sure I saw him come in here…

“Why are you following me?” Jiyong asked sternly. Jennie turned around to find the man she adored, glaring back at her.

“Oppa! It was a great performance!” Jennie smiled and tried to reach out for his hand. Jiyong took a step back. “I’m telling you this for the last time. Stop looking for me. We are done, it was a casual fling and you knew that. So stop pestering me. I hate it.”

He strode out of the room and headed for the stairway. He knew that most of them would be gathered in the main hall downstairs by now, ready to celebrate the close of the first dome concert weekend. Jennie hurried after him behind, calling him incessantly, begging him to wait for her and to listen to what she had to say.

“Jennie, enough is enough!” Jiyong almost shouted as he turned back. Jennie’s eyes were pooling with tears and she stretched a shaky hand out to him. “Oppa, please don’t be angry. I really love you and I just want to be with you. I will do anything you ask me to, so don’t push me away. I can be just like Hyomin-unnie.”

Jiyong stared at her in disbelief. This was worse than he had expected. “What are you talking about... It’s got nothing to do with anybody else. We are just not going to work out.”

“No, Oppa! Listen to me, pleas-“

“What’s going on?” Hyomin asked, not sure if she should have just turned around and pretended not to have seen them. She had decided to call out to them, only because she didn’t want someone else to stumble upon them and started gossiping.

Hyomin climbed the last couple of steps up towards them. Jennie was crying and her blood-shot eyes glared at the both of them. “You both can go to hell!”

She shoved Jiyong with all her strength and almost in slow motion, Jiyong felt his body fall back and his sight turned up towards the ceiling. Jennie’s furious face went out from his line of vision and Hyomin’s surprised face came into view.

 

Oh my god.