Start anew

The heart of stone

I love sitting at the seat near the window in class. Looking out the window just gives me a warm feeling inside. What’s studying? As long as you memorise the formula, memorise the theories, you will be able to pass. Not even the teacher bothers if you really understand. They’re just cold-hearted, just like how I am. But I’m different. I have a reason. How long will I be able to continue on with this meaningless life? This… boring life. I’ve been so used to hiding my true self from others, I can’t even remember how it was like being Ying Jie. My whole life is just like an ice-berg. A small part of me is visible to others, while there’s a huge chunk of secret lying below the sea. And worst of all, my life is cold. Emotionless. I guess this is how one feels after destroying every single precious thing in one’s life. The only time where I feel warmth, is when I look through the small square window, knowing that the world could be so much more. But that world, is fantasy.

“Class can I have your attention? There’s a new transfer student. As he is quite new to the city since he live in the countryside, I want all of you to be a good host to him. No Mike, no bullying, and I’m serious about that. Everyone, please welcome Arron Yan Ya Lun.” Miss Cherry announced.

There’s some commotion going on in class. Seems like there’s a new student. Who cares? As long as he keep himself away from me everything’s just going to stay the same. just, leave me alone. But why do I sense a familiarity in the name?

*flashback*

“FIRE FIRE! HELP! SAVE MY SON!”
“NO NO! SAVE ME SAVE ME!”
“EVERYONE! GET OUT OF THE VILLAGE NOW!”
“IT’S THE KID! THE DEVIL’S DAUGHTER! SHE’S CURSING US!”
HA!! Run! Run for your life all of you! None of you are worthy of living. Call me a freak? Look at you! Worthless humans running around with no defense. Even the mum that I love so much chose to abandon me. Throw me away, because of who I really am. MUM! You’re the one who gave birth to me! Gave birth to me this way! By not accepting your responsibility, perish! With the rest of the people in this worthless village. HA. What a wonderful sight this is. The blood red sky, it’s like urging me forward, giving me the peace that I’ve always wanted. Who’s this guy crawling? He’s like the same age as I am. Why? Both of us are so young, yet he can be so innocent, and I have to go through all this. Maybe, it’s just fate that I happen to see him.

“Hey, it’s dangerous here. Let’s run away together ok?” I asked him.

“NO! My marmee’s still inside! The fire! I have to save her!” he shouted while tears flow down his small face.

“We can’t do anything! We’re both just kids! Kids are not capable of anything! We have to run!” I persuaded him. He nodded his head and held my hands. Together, we run into the forest where the flames could not engulf us. We stopped under a big tree and rest.

“Hey, thanks for saving me. What’s your name?” he asked while panting.

“Me? Can I don’t tell you?” I hesitated, for fear that if he knows who I am; he will be afraid of me and leave me.

“No you can’t! Why not I tell you my name first? I’m Arron Yan Ya Lun!” he beamed.

“Ok then. I’m… I’m Ying Jie”

*end of flashback*

NO! He’s back into my life! Will he remember me? Will he remember that I’m the reason he’s an orphan now? I hate this unsettling feeling in my chest. Will he expose my identity? This must be the ‘karma’ that people always says. Screw my bad luck! What can go worse?

“There’s an empty seat behind Gui Gui. Please take your seat there.” Miss Cherry said.

Yes it could get worse. How I hope he will not remember me. Yet somewhere deep inside my heart, I know that I want him to remember me. Remember everything that I had done in the past, remember the real me, remember Ying Jie. He grew up to be a great-looking guy. His brown eyes seem to sparkle everywhere he looks. His silky black hair complements his features perfectly. He’s looking at me with a puzzled look. Please, remember me.

“Isn’t that Ying Jie?” Arron shouted.

I looked around. I seem to be the centre of attraction now. He… remembered me. Even after so many years. Though I would love to be Ying Jie back, I know I can’t. People are starting to whisper all around me. Their thoughts, which I can hear perfectly, are saying, “that Ying Jie? That girl?” That’s when I realized what I want is never going to be able to come true. This is not the place to get my own identity back. I have a life here. Panic rose up to my throat. I could feel sweat dripping down my face. My heart thumping ever so quickly. I have to clear this.

“you got the wrong person. I’m Wu Gui Gui.” I answered coldly, while trying to cover the terror I’m feeling.

“No! I know it’s you Ying Jie! Why are you calling yourself Gui Gui? People, she’s Ying Jie right?” he smiled and asked.

“As I had said, you got the wrong person. I’m Wu Gui Gui. Do you want to check my identification?” I snarled.

“But… but… i… it’s you!” he exclaimed, with a puzzled look on his face.

“She’s Wu Gui Gui Arron, no mistake about that. Please go to your seat and settle down.” Miss Cherry prompted.

He sat behind me, with his eyes still fixed on me. Somehow, I’m ecstatic that he still remembers me. But Arron, I’m sorry. I have to throw Wu Ying Jie away.

I have to start anew.
------------------------------------------------------------
i nearly couldn't upload this today cause my computer crashed. have to call acer to help LOL..
hope u all like it!