Ab Imo Pectore

7 Years of Love: A Collection of KyuWook Drabbles/Oneshots

 


Ab Imo Pectore: A Glimpse of 7 Years
written by theloveinlife

 

 

2006

(questioning your existence; detesting it at first)

He was nothing more than a stranger, an intruder–a protruding thorn amidst the overly unbalanced dynamics. Yet, Kyuhyun was everything Ryeowook wanted. Kyuhyun was tall, lean and armed with a dulcet voice powerful enough to stir the winds, strong enough to lift the world (or so how Ryeowook admired it).

As the months waned and their relationship bridged, Ryeowook noticed that Kyuhyun was the epitome of loneliness; a sole warrior in a battle against the members he was supposed to work with. Ryeowook saw the pain beneath the pair of beautiful brown eyes, and witnessed hope doused cruelly by profanities and cold shoulders.

“I’ll help you,” was all Ryeowook said and Kyuhyun’s lips trembled from surprise and disbelief, little pieces of his defence faltering with Ryeowook’s persistent smile.

From mere acquaintances, their relationship phased to that of best friends. With that, Ryeowook pulled a sobbing Kyuhyun into his arms, the warmth from their proximity evoking emotions far too deep for others to understand. Ryeowook’s tears fell for the second time that night as he hugged Kyuhyun tightly, vowing never to let him break, and vowing that they would always share both sorrow and happiness–akin to the overwhelming bliss from their very first win.

And on the 15th of August when summer phased to autumn, when the leaves on the trees turned orange, Kyuhyun froze in his seat for a split second as his heart skipped a beat. Ryeowook’s shy voice echoed in his ears and unadulterated elation soared through him.

Hence, Kyuhyun squared his shoulders, ignoring the presence of Sungmin and Shindong, disregarding the impending witnesses of their fans and shot back his reply.

“I love you too.”

 

~

 

2007

(burning your name into my skin; just because I can)

This was when their friendship plummeted straight into an abyss.

Kyuhyun had never experienced it–jealousy was a strange emotion–not until his stomach churned in fury at the sight of intimate touches. When Yesung Ryeowook’s hair, an action that Kyuhyun childishly thought was unique to him, his concentration snapped and the director yelled ‘cut!’ exasperatedly for the umpteenth time.

Somehow–just somehow–Kyuhyun managed to steer his raging thoughts back into some semblance of order. But on the night of 18th April, when Yesung attempted to kiss Ryeowook during dinner, Kyuhyun slammed the door of their shared room, leaving Ryeowook entrapped in the torrential outburst of his pent-up frustrations.

“What’s wrong with you?” Ryeowook asked timidly as he watched Kyuhyun destroy everything in his path.

“Nothing!” Kyuhyun lashed out as he threw his laptop onto the table.

“Are you angry with me?”

“No Sherlock!”

“I didn’t do anything wrong,” Ryeowook defended as he lurched into another danger zone. “Besides, stop being so rude! I’m your senior!”

Kyuhyun spun around, his face red from anger. “You’re my senior–whatever–I don't care.” He snorted, rolling his eyes. “But we’re practically the same age, so I’m not obliged to be polite towards you.”

Ryeowook gaped at him, unable to believe the atrocity in his words.

This was how one emotion led to another; accusations segueing to full-fledged arguments.

“I hate you Cho Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook cried, as he pulled the blanket over his head, tears spilling down his cheeks “I don’t want to talk to you anymore.”

His wish was granted, and the next day, Kyuhyun’s unconscious body was hauled from the bloodied wreckage on a highway. And Ryeowook painstakingly realized, as he sat in the van with a crying Donghae and a frozen Sungmin, that along with his guilt lay the fear of never seeing Kyuhyun again.

 

~

 

2008

(love that masqueraded as protection)

Ryeowook stuck to Kyuhyun more often than before.

During concert intermissions, Ryeowook helped Kyuhyun undress. At home, he cooked for him and cleaned after him. At first, Kyuhyun was grateful, and despite their fissured relationship and awkward interactions, Kyuhyun accepted every bit of kindness Ryeowook showered upon him. But soon, gratitude paved way for annoyance when Ryeowook’s protection grew more persistent.

Kyuhyun found himself prying Ryeowook’s grips off his elbows with strength that belied an injured person. The latter refused to let Kyuhyun out of his sight one night (not after discovering stained bandages).

“I don’t need your pity,” Kyuhyun gritted his teeth, the sheer effort instilling a fresh bout of pain that brought tears to his eyes. “If sympathy was all I’d get, I’d rather die in that stupid car acc–“

But Kyuhyun's sentence was rendered short when Ryeowook delivered a stinging slap to his cheeks.

“Don’t,” Ryeowook’s tone was dangerously low and his body trembled from anger, “Don’t you ever, ever dare–I will not tolerate it–say that death was an option. You have no idea...,” His voice broke and Kyuhyun watched Ryeowook unravel before him. "How m-much I wished I suffered in your place."

Tears trickled down Ryeowook's soft cheeks and he wiped them away hastily with his palm.

"I hated myself; I thought the last words I’d ever have with you was that stupid, ridiculous argument. I was so scared when you wouldn't wake up. I kept praying that it was me and not y–"

Kyuhyun snagged Ryeowook’s hand and pulled him flush against his body, stifling a wince in Ryeowook’s hair.

“Shh...” He hugged Ryeowook tighter, ignoring the dull, nagging pain in his chest. “I’m sorry. I'm so sorry.”

Ryeowook wept uncontrollably, his tears staining Kyuhyun's shirt. For a long moment, they stood there embracing. Kyuhyun held onto the crying boy, listening as he mumbled incoherent apologies and all the while wondering what he did in his previous life to deserve a boy as beautiful as Ryeowook, a boy as kind-hearted as his best friend.

 

~

 

 2009

(two to a heart)

There was something amazingly alluring about Kim Ryeowook. Kyuhyun discovered that it wasn’t just his beauty, or captivating vocals that defined this characteristic–it was his strength.

However, as there had always been a limit to a human’s capacity, the teetering peace in Ryeowook’s life snapped on the same day the group rehearsed sorry sorry.

Ryeowook was called out of the studio, pulled impatiently by a very worried-looking manager. And before the rest could react, his water bottle fell to the floor, water splattering in various directions. Ryeowook’s eyes widened as he froze.

His uncle had passed away.  

It took awhile before he was normal again. Gradually he smiled more, ate more and his concentration was back on track. Only Kyuhyun knew that all was a lie–his suffering in place for both worry and concern.

But surely, there would be a point when Ryeowook’s empty façade would break, and Kyuhyun was certain that he would be there to catch Ryeowook if he fell.

True enough, when the Music Bank win was announced, Kyuhyun observed Ryeowook intently, noticing cracks in the smooth, careful mask he held. Ryeowook’s eyes gleamed with tears and yet, he bit his lip, fighting back the urge to cry. Kyuhyun caught Ryeowook’s gaze, and mouthed:

Silly, it’s alright to cry.

Ryeowook burst into tears and weaved through the crowd, running straight into Kyuhyun’s outstretched arms, knowing that even if the world couldn’t understand him, Kyuhyun would.

And that was all he needed.

 

~

 

2010

(tracing your name on the skylines, just for all to see)

“I’m so sorry,” Kyuhyun laughed, not sounding the least bit apologetic. “I must be heavy.”

“I agree,” Ryeowook huffed, as he lowered Kyuhyun to the ground. “You’re fat Kyuhyun, you ought to slim down.”

Kyuhyun shot back something, but his voice was drowned in the sea of screams. Ryeowook was about to turn away, but a hand held him back. Kyuhyun’s fingers were coiled lightly around Ryeowook’s waist and his eyes held a spark that Ryeowook couldn’t comprehend.

“I’ll carry you.”

Ryeowook stared at him, momentarily stunned. “W-What?”

“I said,” Kyuhyun sidestepped a towel flung on stage. “I’ll carry you.”

“Oh,” Ryeowook replied blankly, gesturing towards the other end of the platform. “From here, to…there?”

“Yeah sure,” Kyuhyun bent lower. “Hop on.”

Uncertain, yet aware of the scrutiny of thousands of fans, Ryeowook braced his palms on Kyuhyun’s muscular shoulders and steadied himself. However, Kyuhyun’s hands felt their way to Ryeowook’s thighs and with a graceful lift, he hoisted Ryeowook onto his back with ease, sniggering when Ryeowook yelped.

“Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook complained, shifting his position a little as he squirmed in their proximity. “The fans will see.”

“Precisely,” Kyuhyun muttered, the corners of his lips curving into a smile. “Let them see.”

That you are mine, he wanted to continue, but the words died on the tips of his tongue.

 

~

 

2011

(an angel in my grasp)

Selfishness was an innate human nature, yet oddly, this almost never applied to Ryeowook.

The concert was at its end, and Kyuhyun delivered his well-thought speech, smiling as the fans squealed at his unfailingly glib words, and partially because of the swelling pride in his growing ability to handle stages.

Ryeowook stood to his right, both hands clasped firmly around the microphone as his expression simmered to one of immense seriousness. Stealing a glance at Ryeowook, worry started to brew in Kyuhyun.

For the next three minutes, Kyuhyun found his heart breaking with each second when he realized that Ryeowook’s speech failed to center about his promises and future activities. Instead, every ounce of sincerity was poured into a plea for the group’s reputation.

When Ryeowook finally surrendered to his worries and his voice broke from tears, Kyuhyun’s burning thoughts left his tongue even before he could control himself.

“He’s like an angel.”

And Kyuhyun meant it with all his heart.

 

~

 

2012

(a one way street; dead end)

Kyuhyun came home after his flight from China, and immediately, the members cornered and badgered him with questions.

He answered each with a flamboyant smile, his replies careless and mostly, carefree. She’s pretty, he smiled and rolled his eyes when Donghae nudged his ribs, whilst Eunhyuk sent a harmless punch on his shoulder.

“You’re married now Kyuhyun, you should be more faithful,” Siwon mocked, reaching to ruffle the magnae’s hair. “Quit staring at girls.”

“I don’t!” Kyuhyun huffed and groaned when his attempt to escape was foiled by Shindong.

“So,” Yesung interrupted, his eyes bright with wonder. “Do you like her?”

Shindong’s arms tightened around his waist and everyone stood waiting for his answer, a lopsided grin plastered on each of their faces.

“That’s too direct,” Sungmin smirked and folded his arms across his chest. “We should settle for a–how about–say, did your heart flutter when you’re with her?”

Kyuhyun sighed and raked his fingers through his hair. Exhausted, he wanted nothing more than a warm bath and sleep. “Yeah, yeah. It did. Can I leave now?”

The members cheered and pumped their fists in the air. Just then, Kyuhyun looked up, and coincidentally, he stared beyond Siwon’s shoulder. The smile on his face disappeared when he caught the sight of Ryeowook retreating quietly into his room.

Ryeowook didn’t appear again that night. And the next day, he was gone. 

 

~

 

2013

(the spark; the dawn)

Everything they did, was in the name of friends.

But it wasn’t until the end of summer, when Kyuhyun found himself doubting it.

He leaned against the bed frame, his temples throbbing and his muscles aching. The room was silent, and darkness surrounded him. There were many uncertainties lining his mind, thoughts flicking across every moment, and this was when Kyuhyun closed his eyes and succumbed to his memories.

The first thing that surfaced was his pre-debut days. The horror of his suffering still lingered, despite the fame and success he garnered all these years. Yet, as the images of the arduous moments flittered into his brain, he noticed that each wound was stitched singlehandedly by Ryeowook, the latter’s love and care the main reason behind his strength.

Ryeowook’s face was the next to appear and in Kyuhyun’s eyes, Ryeowook was beautiful. He pictured Ryeowook smiling, his small hands tight around Kyuhyun’s fingersHe loved the boy’s high cheekbones and almond-shaped eyes that were always shy beneath his fringe.

However, his reverie was broken when the windows started rattling. Kyuhyun sat upright startled, and his eyes whipped to the hotel’s curtains, alarms ringing in his head. The crack of light beneath the toilet door (of which he closed) flickered and Kyuhyun sprang out of bed, grabbed his keys and wallet, and bolted out of the room.

The hallway was quiet and cold. Kyuhyun shivered and he was frightened to the core. He scrutinized the room numbers, his heart pounding as he weighed the odds of receiving an earful from his manager. But he was bent on escaping his room, hence, he took a left turn, knowing that one person would never refuse him.

“Ryeowook,” He rapped the door urgently, “Ryeowook, it’s me. Open up.”

There was a muffled gasp in the room, and a flick of the switch. Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around him as he waited anxiously before the door. Shuffling of footsteps could be heard and the door opened, revealing a drowsy Ryeowook behind it.

“Kyu?” Ryeowook stifled a yawn. “What are you doin–“

Kyuhyun pushed past the other boy, and closed the door quickly. “Ryeowook,” He spun around and held the latter's hands in his. “Please let me stay. Sleep with me.”

Ryeowook’s sleep-laden mind tried to process Kyuhyun’s plea and his eyes widened by a fraction.

“What’s wrong?”

“My room…” Kyuhyun winced. “Is kinda haunted.”

At this, Ryeowook’s blood ran cold. “Oh…”

“So please, please let me sleep here. Don’t chase me away.” Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around Ryeowook and buried his face into his shoulder. “I’m scared.”

Despite the thoughts of something extraterrestrial lurking in his room, Kyuhyun breathed in Ryeowook’s scent and the fear in him diminished.

“Of course,” Ryeowook reached to Kyuhyun’s hair, “You can sleep here for the next three nights.”

“Thank you Wookie,” Kyuhyun sang, relief washing through him. “You’re the best.”

Ryeowook blushed and guided Kyuhyun to his bed. Minutes later, as they lay cacooned beneath the blankets, Kyuhyun planted a soft kiss on Ryeowook’s hair, smiling as the sleeping boy stirred.

But he didn’t know that Ryeowook was awake all the while.

 

~

 

2013

and beyond.

(the future; till the end)

Kyuhyun rested heavily on the railings of the balcony as he stared deeply into the night. A glass of maroon alcohol swirled gently in his right hand and an almost empty bottle stood next to him. The dormitory was dark and quiet, yet sleep evaded him, rendering him restless and tired.

Recent events troubled him. He brought a palm to his face and breathed deeply. What was this feeling? Kyuhyun was pretty sure it was jealousy (again) but refused to acknowledge it. Surely Hyungsik and Ryeowook were just friends and there was nothing to worry about.

But the image of Ryeowook's palm on Hyungsik's face materialised before his eyes and the dull, persistent pang in his heart intensified. Yet, Kyuhyun reminded himself constantly that he had absolutely no right and Ryeowook belonged to nobody.

Lights flickered in the kitchen behind him and Kyuhyun spun around, meeting Ryeowook's surprised gaze. 

"Kyu?"

"Oh hey," Kyuhyun smiled and his heart skipped a beat. "Can't sleep?"

"Yeah," Ryeowook switched the lights off and padded towards Kyuhyun. "What are you doing?"

He lifted the glass and Ryeowook's eyes narrowed. "Is this your fourth bottle?"

The younger of the two laughed, pulling Ryeowook beside him. "Stop mothering."

Ryeowook puffed his cheeks, but otherwise, didn't say anything.

They accompanied each other in quiet, both staring intently at the twinkling stars. It was a rare cloudless night and the dim moonlight spilled across the balcony, leaving a splendid glow in its wake. Ryeowook was the first to break the silence.

"Seven years passed so quickly. I still remember how dorky you looked when I first met you."

Kyuhyun smirked, downing the last of his wine. "You're not any better. Your hair was atrocious." He bent to refil his glass, conscious that Ryeowook was staring at him.

"My hair was perfectly fine. Your blonde crap was weird." 

"Nothing beats yours," Kyuhyun reached to ruffle Ryeowook's soft black hair, earning a whine in return. "There was a time when your hair stuck out."

"Seriously Kyu," Ryeowook ignored his comment and dodged another attempt to mess up his hair. "You really should stop drinking."

Kyuhyun looked sadly at his wine, his lips forming a pout. "But the bottle's open and I can't bear to discard it. Here," Kyuhyun tipped the glass towards Ryeowook, "drink it for me."

Ryeowook made a noise, but obediently received the glass. Just as his head dipped back and the red liquid touched his lips, Ryeowook's face glowed in the moonlight and Kyuhyun was swept away by his beauty.

"You're...beautiful." Words escaped him before he could control himself.

Ryeowook froze, his eyes widening in alarm and Kyuhyun swore that shades of red decorated the latter's cheeks. He didn't know if it was the adrenaline from the alcohol, but when Ryeowook failed to respond, Kyuhyun pried the glass from Ryeowook's hand and took a step closer. Ryeowook's parted lips were moist from the wine, and Kyuhyun palmed his face, brushing a finger across the older boy's lips to remove the excess.

"You're prettier than any girl," Kyuhyun repeated, his voice laced with conviction. "More beautiful than any man." 

Ryeowook pulled himself from Kyuhyun's grasp and he looked away in shame.

"You're...drunk Kyuhyun." Ryeowook muttered, "You'll regret it tomorrow." 

Ryeowook turned to walk away, but Kyuhyun clasped tightly on his wrist, stopping him.

"I'm not drunk." Kyuhyun began, inching nearer. "I know how much you mean to me. I know exactly how I feel about you."

"You don't," Ryeowook whispered, tears prickling his eyes. "Stop this."

"Why?" Kyuhyun freed his hand, placing the glass on the floor. "You feel the same way too."

Ryeowook's eyes snapped to his face, and his lips trembled.

Daringly, Kyuhyun's hands meandered their way to Ryeowook's waist, and he held him near. "I always thought our seven years consisted of pure friendship. But no," and one hand reached to caress Ryeowook's cheek. "It's been seven years of love, tears and memories."

"I love you Ryeowook," Kyuhyun smiled, "Don't push me away." He brought their foreheads together, and watched hesitation swimming in Ryeowook's eyes. Beneath his shirt, Kyuhyun could feel his heart beating furiously. Both hands now held Ryeowook's face gently as Kyuhyun tilted his head for a kiss.

Ryeowook pulled back by a fraction and his hands covered Kyuhyun's, but he didn't push him away. Hence, Kyuhyun deliberated, waiting patiently for Ryeowook's permission, their lips a hair's breath away. It took the longest moments before Ryeowook gave in, his eyes fluttering shut as their lips met. 

Kyuhyun kissed him gently. Tears trickled down Ryeowook's cheeks, and Kyuhyun leaned back, grinning as he caught each tear. 

"So?" 

"You're right. I...have always l-loved you," Ryeowook murmured, his eyelashes wet from tears. He flushed deeply, and Kyuhyun burst out laughing.

"You're mine Ryeowook," Kyuhyun peppered Ryeowook's lips with kisses, pulling the embarrassed boy into his arms. "Today, tomorrow and always."

 

~fin~

Happy Kyuwook day to all beautiful kyuwook shippers (: Sorry for the cheesy ending ;~;
Today is Korea's independence day + the Chinese Valentines day + Kyuwook day! 
This fic is unfortunately more than 1500 words (oops) but the admins said it's alright if it's a one-shot.
so, sorry for the immense length. Eeps. Hope you peeps love it though :D
Also, if the story ends up rated M, it's a screw up. There are no scenes here!

#KyuWook7Years