IX

사랑하니까 (On the Wings of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The mood was getting additionally depressing with each passing second. It was as though blades were cutting right through Jessica’s heart every single time Yoona’s shoulders jerked in an uncontrollable sob. A couple of minutes had passed since the angel located the girl seated underneath one of the many trees at a park.

 

“Yoongie, please stop crying.” She repeated for the tenth time, hugging the girl as close as she could and willing herself not to get too emotionally involved. She had never experienced weeping before but for some odd reason, seeing the girl like this induced an uncomfortable sensation in . A lump seemed to have formed there and she found it more troublesome than usual to speak. No, she should never allow herself to be feeling this terrible.

 

On realizing she had only a few minutes left before another day was deducted, Jessica pulled herself away from the girl at once, “I’ll be right back.”

 

This was bad. This was horrible. Why did Yoona have such a huge influence on her emotions? The angel was hyperventilating as she struggled to distract herself from what she had witnessed just seconds ago. Nothing was helping.

 

In a short while, two vexatious beeps sounded out and Jessica heaved a sigh of defeat, checking her watch only to validate that she had one day less. She had officially lost two days and both were because of the same person. Yoona must mean so much to her to be able to invoke such intense emotions from her fragile heart.

 

The angel very much wanted to be by Yoona’s side but there was not much she could do with this utterly ridiculous rule dictating her behavior. She would always be fighting a losing battle with time being the adversary. Close to twenty minutes later when she noticed the girl had settled down, the angel hurried back.

 

“I’m sorry… I needed some air…” She mumbled before occupying the space beside Yoona once more. She sounded almost emotionless and Yoona deduced that perhaps it was because she had no interest whatsoever in comforting her. Why should she care anyway? None of this concerned her. She might have been the main reason for the dissolution of whatever Yoona shared with Tiffany but then again it was not her fault.

 

“It’s okay, Jessica… I really shouldn’t have bothered you. You’re supposed to be enjoying your vacation instead of worrying about my ed-up issues… I just didn’t have anybody else to call… I’m sorry.” Yoona could not hold back the vulgarity lingering on her lips although she regretted just seconds after. Great, now Jessica would slowly start to see her true character – an uncouth teenager with an unbelievably pathetic life. Commence the judging.

 

All Jessica wanted to do was explain her plight but knowing the grim consequence, she couldn’t. She could not afford to risk any more of her precious time with this girl.

 

“Look, I won’t blame you for thinking that I’m causing you trouble. You’re a really nice girl, Jessica. And I’m just stupid… and reckless… perhaps you should find somebody else to hang out with. I’ll be giving you nothing but headaches if you decide to spend the rest of your holiday anywhere near me.” It did not take much for Yoona to be reminded about how screwed up her life was. She hated herself so much for not being able to get anything right. Her family was a mess. Her life in school was another huge wreck.

 

The painful breakup was the worst. She had lost her girlfriend because she was too busy being a complete idiot and falling for some girl she knew she would never have a future with. She would never allow herself to hurt Jessica the way she crushed her own relationship with that one irresponsible comment. God, she would give anything to take that brash sentence back. No amount of regret was going to reunite the both of them anyway. Yoona had never heard Tiffany speak in a more serious tone before. It was completely over and she knew it. That was the reason why she had bawled her ing eyes out and had been such a huge embarrassment in front of the girl she supposedly had a crush on.

 

“You’re nothing near stupid and reckless.” Said the girl beside her, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Having Jessica still act so kindly toward her only fueled her exasperation.

 

“That’s because you don’t know the first thing about me.” Murmured Yoona in an attitude that was much harsher than expected. Scrambling to her feet, she started to walk away in huge strides. It was largely ironic how she was the one leaving instead of Jessica, considering the fact that she had been the one wailing like a ing baby over the phone just a short while ago.

 

“Yoongie!” Immediately the angel gave chase and barred her from taking another step. The girl stopped but kept her eyes on the ground, not knowing how else she was going to face Jessica. The situation was so dramatic that it made her feel a little uneasy. Come to think of it, her life’s events would easily surpass the soppy garbage playing on television these days, which was not something to be proud of anyway.

 

“I apologize if what I said angered you. Help me get to know you, Yoongie. Allow me the opportunity to judge you for myself. I’m not taking your word for it because I know you’re not as bad as you’re making yourself out to be.”

 

There was a remedial impact behind those words and Yoona found herself softening up unknowingly. Such was the effect Jessica had on her.

 

“Are you gonna leave like the rest of them when you realize I’m not the person you expected me to be?” She hated how insecure she sounded.

 

As much as she wanted to promise that she was always going to be there, Jessica knew there was no way that was ever going to happen. Yoona understood how silly her question sounded as well. Who was she kidding? Jessica would be heading back to where she belonged pretty soon. It was not as though she was going to stay for somebody as insignificant as herself.

 

“Don’t answer that. I was joking.” The girl commented quickly. She did not need to be given false hope. She had encountered enough piped dreams in her life to know. Her mother had promised to rescue her from her scumbag of a father the day she left. And where was she now? Tiffany had always told her how much she loved her and how she would never leave her no matter what. Whatever happened to that?

 

“Yoongie… let me accompany you home. It’s late and you need your rest.” Jessica thought it best to just make full use of whatever time they had together. There was no point in wallowing in sorrowful thoughts.

 

They seemed to have reached a mutual understanding because Yoona readily agreed to her offer. The topic was switched to a more lighthearted one and a small smile crept upon the girl’s lips when Jessica randomly expressed her love for instant noodles. Yoona could never fail to be amused by her guileless nature.

 

“There was this one time when I was really hungry and I downed four bowls in one sitting.” The girl confessed, causing Jessica’s jaw to drop slightly.

 

“I know. My appetite surprises me sometimes.” Yoona smiled seeing the girl so amazed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter