III

사랑하니까 (On the Wings of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica sat up in bed slowly as blinding streaks of sunlight poured in through the windows of her room. She yawned and stretched herself out a little, not used to the fact that there were no melodious trumpets playing. She pulled the covers off to reveal a paper-blanketed bunk. She must have knocked herself out with all that reading the night before. The angel hastened to collect the documents before placing them back into the dossier where they belonged. A post it was attached securely to the cover of the file. She had written down a list of things she needed to do on a daily basis.

 

“Take a shower…” She mumbled to herself as a wide smile spread across her face. She had always wondered what it was like to be bathed with water and soap. There was never a need for that back where she came from. Once or twice she had attempted to circle somewhere beneath the clouds when there were downpours but the Chief was always ahead of her to hold her back. Now she would be able to experience something similar for a hundred days in a row, and for as long as she liked without disturbances of any sort. Sweet.

 

After spending an hour frolicking in the bathtub, the curious angel amused herself further with the blow drier before devoting another half hour to brush her hair. A box of cotton swabs happened to be resting just beside the sink, and it took Jessica fifteen minutes and half the carton before figuring out its purpose. She very much wanted to do some more exploration but a rumbling in her tummy reminded her that she needed food. She picked out some denim leggings, a white linen crystal boxy tee, and completed the look with a charcoal baseball cap. She marveled at the reflection in the mirror with a satisfied smile, very pleased that she was actually capable of pulling off such a human-y look.

 

Another growl from her empty stomach spurred her to grab a matching grey duffle bag before she eventually left the room.

 

*          *

 

Just a few minutes’ walk away from the motel stood a fairly attractive café, and the hungry angel entered without further deliberation.

 

In the glass display cabinet laid an exquisite array of various cakes and baked goods that made Jessica’s mouth water. Treats and goodies were available in Heaven but limited in variety. She had never seen anything quite like this.

 

Before she knew it, she had selected an entire tray of tasty-looking pastries and was at the counter all ready to make payment. That very moment, she became aware that she did not have her purse with her. The man behind the cash register didn’t look too happy as he prepared to withdraw the platter from the angel’s hands.

 

She held on tightly, however, insisting that it would only take her a little while to journey back to the motel for the money. The preposterous fellow was as insistent as she was, and simply refused to let go. She was about to concede defeat when all of a sudden, a steady hand slammed a stack of fresh notes onto the countertop, and a voice announced that the change be kept. As the greedy man released his steel grasp to reach for the money, the figure beside Jessica snatched the discharged tray with one hand and grabbed the angel’s hand with the other before leading her to one of the many tables outside.

 

Jessica finally got a good look at the guy’s face once they were out of the joint and her eyes lit up as she threw a pair of arms around his neck to embrace him.

 

“Sehunnie!” She exclaimed in a high-pitched manner as she hugged the boy closely. He was one of her best angel friends, which was highly ironic because he was also a model angel. The lad returned the caress with equal fervor but his face mostly registered this blank look.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jessica buzzed as soon as they settled down. For answer, the young man explained how the Chief was truly worried for her, and therefore sent him along just to keep an eye on her. As he spoke, Jessica looked increasingly relieved, knowing that she wouldn’t be going through this somewhat intimidating adventure all alone.

 

“You look really good.” He eventually added, bringing yet another grin to the girl’s face.

 

“Thank you. For your compliment and also what happened just now. I’m so glad you’re here.” The girl handed him a slice of chocolate cake, which he immediately wolfed down through huge bites.

 

“How was your first night? Met your human yet?”

 

And the conversation carried on as Jessica related the previous night’s events as precisely as she could to the patient Sehun, who listened with much interest.

 

“I got us these…” He soon placed two similar-looking devices onto the table, which looked completely unfamiliar to the girl. Her inquisitive gaze led the boy to explain that those strange things were a type of cellphone called iPhones, and that humans used them as a form of communication.

 

“So each of these gadgets has its own unique number, which you dial to contact a specific person. I’ve stored my number in yours and vice versa so we’ll be able to reach each other easily.” Sehun pointed out competently before giving the one with a pink cover to the girl before him, who started poking away at the screen at once.

 

“This is amazing…” Jessica eyed the phone in awe, quickly pulling out her notebook to inscribe some jottings.

 

“I don’t like them. I prefer the way we communicate back at home. Via signals from the heart.” The young man stuffed the device back into his pocket without taking another glance. It was apparent that he did not really enjoy time on this planet.

 

Pragmatically speaking, this girl was the only reason why he had agreed to visit Earth in the first place. He knew full well that it had always been Jessica’s dream to be doing this and he wanted to offer his full support in any way possible. She meant that much to him. He was the very first angel to sign the petition. He was also the one who silently watched over her on all her studying sprees, making sure she was getting enough rest and the like.

 

“So do I but this is really something new, Sehunnie…” The lad managed a faint smile seeing Jessica so entertained by something so trivial. Up to now, she had been the only angel who was able to amuse him. That was specifically why he loved this girl so much. He loved the way she called his name so affectionately. Her appreciation for all the small things was endearing and only aided in making her that much more precious to him. But Sehun had never found the courage to disclose how he felt about Jessica. The two had been buddies for the longest time and he was deeply afraid that perhaps that was all they were ever going to be. Be that as it may, in that instant, he resolved to bare h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter