IV

사랑하니까 (On the Wings of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona chewed away vigorously at her samgyeopsal as she downed another glass of soju. The gang was having a rather enjoyable dinner but the situation was evidently more tensed up than usual since Tiffany was not there with them. It was not the girl’s absence essentially but also how Yoona had been stuffing herself with food for the past half hour without a word, and how she was already working her way down her seventh bottle of alcohol.

 

“Jeez, is she okay? I haven’t seen her drink like that in ages…” Murmured a worried Kris as he nudged the smaller boy to his left, who only shrugged in response before wedging another thick, fatty slice of pork belly meat into his mouth.

 

Sunny took a crack at getting the girl to speak up by asking if there was anything wrong between Tiffany and herself but the question was intentionally avoided when the taller girl went on to compliment how good the food was and how she was completely fine. She seemed to have a pretty good alcohol tolerance level. There was not a tint of pink in her cheeks, her appetite was voracious as ever, and she was still able to speak coherently.

 

“Forget it, Sunny. She’s not gonna say anything.” Whispered Kris as he reached out and attempted to fill the blonde girl’s glass, which she pulled away just in time, claiming that she was perfectly capable of topping up her own glass. They were on talking terms again but it did not appear as though Sunny was willing to let things go so soon. The young man barely sighed before emptying his own glass, not wanting to irritate the girl further.

 

Yoona grabbed another bottle and was about to pop it open when she heard that distinctive voice calling her name. No, not her name per se, the name she gladly agreed upon. Yoongie. As if on cue, four curious heads turned to the entrance of the eatery, where a beautiful young lady had just stepped in through. She was clothed in a white casual lace tank top coupled with a pair of denim shorts. Yoona swallowed her food hard as she examined the girl from head to toe. Damn, she never knew someone could look so ing ravishing in side braids.

 

The whole group fell silent as the girl approached their table, making her way specifically to Yoona’s side before enveloping the girl in another overwhelming embrace, one that was perhaps even tighter than their first, not that Yoona was complaining or anything. Again, the taller girl felt a sense of calmness and peace engulf her as she gazed into the other girl’s smiling eyes. Her presence was just so therapeutic.

 

“Okay, can we please get an update here pronto?” A wide-eyed Luhan asked, probably on behalf of the rest of the group.

 

“Umm… well… Jessica, gang. Gang, Jessica.” Said a somewhat stupefied Yoona as she struggled to catch her breath.

 

The cheerful angel went on to exchange handshakes with the other human beings before pulling up a chair next to Yoona. Kris lightheartedly joked about not receiving a hug, and Sunny rolled her eyes to the back of her head at his words.

 

Jessica almost went ahead to point out that Yoona was her mortal but managed to stop herself before spilling the beans, giggling stiffly instead. Yoona could only wonder what the girl was trying to put across. What exactly was the meaning behind that uncomfortable snickering laugh? She, too, badly wanted to know the reason for the special treatment.

 

Sunny impatiently inquired where the unknown girl came from, asking if she was from the same school because she did not remember ever seeing her around. She felt a little uncomfortable knowing that Yoona was already so chummy with another girl when things with Tiffany were obviously still not cleared up. The angel executed her much-rehearsed reply with relative ease, revealing that she was here on a vacation.

 

Yoona felt her heart plummet a little at the girl’s response. So she was not going to stay for long. Even though she barely knew the girl, Yoona could not help but feel a little upset.

 

“What? Where are you from?” Luhan delved further.

 

“San Francisco.”

 

“Yah Yoong, you never told us you had a friend from the States!” Kris stated.

 

“And not just any friend. A close friend from the looks of it.” Luhan added emphatically.

 

Yoona just serenely consumed another glass of the intoxicating beverage before offering a reserved smile. She did not want to risk sounding totally dumb and irresponsible by telling them that she didn’t know herself.

 

Jessica, on the other hand, was excessively thankful that the taller girl did not put her in a spot. She was not all that prepared for any further questioning.

 

*          *

 

The gang soon finished up the rest of the food and headed outside for a quick smoke. Queerly, Yoona did not have the slightest urge to take a puff. She was too occupied with the fact that this alluring girl had showed up once more.

 

Jessica was noticeably disturbed by the stench of the cloudy fumes as she made an effort to stay a little further away from the group. She had read about these extremely harmful small rolls of tobacco before and she did not plan to be exposed to them too much in the course of her stay. Seeing the girl so bothered, Yoona dropped the idea of lighting up a stick to accompany her. But before she could approach her, Kris dragged her back by the elbow, flooding her with tons of questions about the outsider.

 

“Yah, you stay the away from her. Understood?” Commanded the girl, making it a point to stick her finger into his chest several times. Kris was the last person Yoona wanted Jessica to mingle with. He would be nothing but bad news for the girl.

 

“You always get the good ones… so I guess you’ve finally called it quits with Fany, huh? Is she the new girl?” The fellow probed before taking a long drag on his cigarette. Yoona told him bluntly to mind his own business as well as to take care of his own relationship with Sunny before brushing past him to reach Jessica. The girl’s face brightened up at the sight of her, causing her to beam in return.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter