XIV

사랑하니까 (On the Wings of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So… you’ll be leaving the day after tomorrow, right?”

 

Quietly, the girl before her nodded. With whatever strength she had left, Yoona managed a bright smile.

 

Picking up the girl’s hands, she softly asked, “Can I take you out on a date tomorrow then?”

 

“A date?” The angel obviously had no idea what that was.

 

“Yeah, a date. You know, like, when two people are seeing each other, they go out and do stuff together, as a couple…”

 

“Oh, like an outing?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“That sounds fun.” Jessica’s eyes lit up at the thought of all the things they could do. She actually did not mind just sitting next to Yoona and doing nothing for hours on end. Having the girl beside her made her happy enough.

 

“I’ll take that as a yes?”

 

“Of course, Yoongie! Where do I meet you?”

 

“Let’s do the whole package. I’ll pick you up at your motel. Does six o’clock sound good?”

 

“Six is perfect.”

 

“Great, I’ll see you then, Jessica.”

 

Inspecting her outfit for the umpteenth time that evening, Jessica ran a hand down the side of the stunning red porter dress she had on, smoothing it out a little more. She wanted to make sure she was looking flawless for Yoona.

 

The setting of the sun bathed her motel room golden, further accentuating the beauty of her outfit. Pressing her lips together, a smile passed her features. She was wearing the lipstick Yoona had gotten her the previous time. Brushing her fingers through her curls once more, she nodded briefly at the reflection, finally pleased.

 

Soon after, she glanced towards the clock hanging on the wall, noticing that it was ten minutes to six. The girl would be here any minute now. She could feel the pounding of her heart speed up just thinking about their meeting. It was her first date with Yoona. It was also her first official date. She rummaged her mind for a suitable word to describe the way she was feeling at the moment but found none.

 

Before long, there came three gentle knocks on her door. As though on cue, butterflies fluttered in her tummy and her lips tugged into a wide grin as she skipped over to the entrance of her room, turning the knob and throwing the door open. There stood Yoona, beautiful as ever, donned in a black technical fabric dress. Instead of the usual ponytail, she had her hair down, which seemed to amplify her elegance by leaps and bounds. The light makeup was something new as well. In other words, she was breathtakingly gorgeous. Not knowing what was going through Jessica’s mind, she wore a shy smile on her face as she tightened her grip on her clutch.

 

They remained in silence for a few seconds, both admiring the sight of each other, until Yoona eventually spoke up, “You look beautiful, Jessica.”

 

“Speak for yourself, Yoongie.” The angel grinned, reaching out to caress her left cheek gently. Any and all nervousness seemed to disappear there and then as the two giggled, anticipating their time together.

 

“Ready to go?”

 

“Where are we going?”

 

At her question, Yoona only smiled before replying that it was meant to be a surprise. Then, grabbing hold of the angel’s hand, she led her off.

 

*           *

 

After dozens of questions and some time travelling, the two eventually arrived at a restaurant located in Itaewon, supposedly one of the best places for foreigners and locals alike looking for a romantic evening.

 

“This place is lovely, Yoongie…” There was a familiar sparkle in Jessica’s eyes as she glanced around, marveling at the exquisite ambience of the place. The color theme, lighting, and overall setup of the place worked well together to provide a rather splendid experience. As Jessica was busy appreciating every single detail, Yoona just watched her, intrigued.

 

If only the angel knew how beautiful she looked without even trying. If only she knew how a gesture as simple as tucking her hair behind her ear made Yoona find her thousands of times more attractive than she already was. If only she knew how every little thing she said or did to show her thankfulness added to what seemed like an unblemished personality. If only she knew how perfect she was in Yoona’s eyes. If only time would pause. If only she didn’t need to leave…

 

Yoona could not help but fall deeper just gazing at the angel’s gentle expression, her innocent smile… she strongly believed she would never meet somebody else half as captivating as Jessica for as long as she lived. Not in a million years.

 

Remembering a cheesy line she read from some website, Yoona attempted to make the girl smile, “Jessica, did it hurt when you fell from heaven?”

 

Expecting the angel to roll her eyes and to call her a cornball, Yoona was surprised when her expression grew pensive almost immediately.

 

“I…”

 

From the look on Jessica’s face, Yoona assumed the girl was not half amused, and hurried to apologize, “I’m sorry, I was just kidding. Don’t take it to heart. I say the stupidest things sometimes…”

 

On the other hand, it was as though the angel had just descended from the peak of a rollercoaster ride, and her pulse raced like never before. For a second she actually thought she had been found out. Unsure of how to respond appropriately due to the shock, she simply nodded before dropping her head to skim through the menu.

 

It felt odd because a part of her truly wished Yoona had discovered her somewhat unnerving secret. That way, things would become so much easier, so much clearer. For the first time she felt like she really understood what things must have been like for Angel Jieun when she got too emotionally attached to life on Earth. It was not easy to leave somebody like Yoona. Prior to the girl, she had never truly loved some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter