XI

사랑하니까 (On the Wings of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-Flashback-

 

Dust had collected atop the cardboard storage box labeled ‘Swimming’. Even the masking tape upon which the words were written in huge bold letters was peeling off at the sides. A twelve-year-old Yoona sat in her room with the considerably bulky box settled between her feet, sighing as she watched her finger turn grey from the dirt particles that collected with simply a swipe of her puny index finger.

 

After brushing the remaining grime off with her arm, she carefully lifted the top off and set it aside, eyes glimmering at the sight of the brand-new swimming equipment. The very first thing that caught her attention was a pretty, pink-colored swimsuit patterned with randomly arranged, white little heart shapes. The price tag was still securely attached to it. She immediately remembered the day she went shopping with her parents when they spent a good two hours just picking it out because there were too many beautiful designs to choose from.

 

Apart from the bathing suit was a pair of goggles, sunscreen lotion, a deflated float, supposedly a giraffe when inflated, a water gun, as well as a pink body towel. They were all brand spanking new. The child picked up each and every item for a closer look, picturing herself at the beach and imagining how much fun it would actually be to spend a nice day out with her parents. Her friends in school were always talking about how lovely their weekends were but she never quite understood how they felt, at least not anymore. She thought being an only child was all about getting the full attention of both her parents anytime she wanted but she was wrong.

 

Yet things were not always like that. They used to be a happy, close-knitted family like any other. There were regular outings, gifts showered upon her any other day, and memorable birthday parties. Laughter always reverberated throughout the house.

 

Like a fragile house of cards met with a strong gale, however, Yoona’s world came crumbling down the day her father arrived home in a drunken stupor, cursing and swearing at his mother, and creating a big ruckus about how his business had failed miserably. It was the first time she had witnessed her father behaving so barbarically and it scared her. He had completely transformed into a man she could not recognize. She was only eleven then.

 

Things spiraled out of control during the months that followed. Her father would come home stoned every other day, obscenities flowing out of his wretched mouth as he flung random objects, oftentimes deadly ones, at her mother and herself. Her mother frequently got injured in the process of trying to shield her from the assaults. There were many nights when Yoona heard her mother sobbing uncontrollably in her room after an argument.

 

“Yoona?” A familiar voice accompanied by two soft knocks at her door jolted her slightly, and she turned her head towards the entrance of her room just to see the door nudge open. In stepped her mother, suitcase in one hand, and coat in the other.

 

“U-umma? The young girl’s eyes grew large when she observed that the older woman’s eyes were red and puffy, probably from crying. More than anything else, the seemingly heavy luggage she was lugging behind her worried Yoona. She recalled seeing those things on television. People usually carried them when they were about to travel to far-off places.

 

Without delay, the adolescent shoved the box in front of her aside and dashed over, pouring questions about why she was crying, who had upset her, what she was doing with the suitcase, and where she was going. Her expression grew ominous when her mother explained that she was leaving for Japan with a friend for the time being because she needed a break. When Yoona attempted to ask her why she could not tag along, there was no reply.

 

“Yoona, umma promises that I’ll be back for you once I’ve found a comfortable place and settled down, alright? In the meantime will you please try and be good? Listen to daddy, okay? Always remember that umma loves you very, very much.”

 

“Then why are you leaving me here with that… that monster?” There were already tears in the girl’s eyes as her voice trembled with each word. Her hatred for her father had grown so much the past year and every single day with him was a pain. Her mother had been her only source of comfort up till now. She could not conceptualize, with that little brain of hers, how life would be without the person closest to her.

 

“I… I’m sorry, Yoona. I’m sorry… I will come back for you.”

 

“I’ve never heard from her ever since.” As her mother’s words rang in her ears, Yoona could not help the uncomfortable sensation building up in her nose. She hastily set the mug of coffee in her hands down before swiping at her eyes, not wanting the girl seated before her to see her weakness again.

 

The two were out having breakfast once more. It seemed to be becoming a regular thing. Now that Yoona had lost practically all her friends, she was more inclined than ever to be spending quality time with Jessica. The angel, of course, had nothing against the idea for she, too, loved every second she had with Yoona.

 

“Yoongie, I’m so sorry… I shouldn’t have probed…” She hurriedly dug into her bag for a pack of tissues. She was to blame for reminding the girl of such a sorry past. Yoona had apparently struggled with smuggling them out of the house again that morning and she had perhaps gotten a little too impatient this time with wanting to know the reason behind the girl’s odd behavior. She was regretting it and it showed on her face.

 

“Nah… I feel much better letting it all out… I’ve never told anybody before… nobody had bothered enough to ask anyway.” The girl sniffed as she received the pack with thanks, setting it aside in the hopes that her self-control would be strong enough to hold the floodgates.

 

“She will be back for you before you know it. Just hold on for a little bit longer.”

 

Despite the encouraging words, Yoona could do nothing but scoff in response. Six years had already passed. How much longer was her mother going to make her wait? If she really loved her like she claimed, she would have at least made an effort to keep in contact.

 

“Thanks, Jessica but… I don’t think so. You don’t have to sugarcoat things for me. I’m old enough to bear the truth.”

 

The angel leaned back into her seat, feeling a little exasperated at her inability to cheer the girl up. She never had parents. The closest semblance to a father would be the Chief of Angels but he was nothing like Yoona’s dad. She would never be able to relate.

 

“I’m sure you’re from a good family, though, right? You seem like a pretty happy individual to me.” The girl shifted the significance of the conversation to Jessica to keep her mind from roaming any further.

 

“Uh… I would think so…” The angel’s insides churned at the sudden change in the flow of the dialogue. She had grown used to Yoona being the one disclosing the stories of her life. There was nothing much she could share, not like she would be allowed to if there was anyway.

 

To her relief, the girl responded with only a smile.

 

“I’m glad I finally have somebody to talk to regarding all these issues now.” Yoona spoke. She never felt more comfortable around a person. To her, Jessica was already so many things – a good friend who genuinely cared about her wellbeing, somewhat a mother figure who protected her and led her in times of need, and a potentially awesome girlfriend anybody would be jealous of.

 

Her words only served to call to Jessica’s mind, however, that time was running short for the both of them. What would happen from the day she needed to return to where she rightfully belonged? She had her doubts about whether or not things would still remain the same for Yoona. Would the girl hate her for entering her life only to leave so abruptly? Would she be able to fend for herself and find the courage and will to move towards her future?

 

The day she would have to leave Yoona for that faraway place would be here anytime. There was a strong sense of discomfort that welled up in her at the thought of not being able to meet Yoona anymore.

 

Jessica noticed the girl looking at her with a hopeful look in her eyes, as if waiting for her to say something comforting and assuring. She gulped softly and surreptitiously clutched at her thighs below the table, doing her best to formulate a reply that would be a good balance between not allowing her to feel disappointed as well as not giving her any false hope.

 

“Yoongie…”

 

“I know, I know. You’re gonna be leaving for San Francisco when the time comes. If it’s not too much to ask, could we perhaps stay in touch after you return?”

 

“How?” Jessica found herself asking even though she knew the answer would not make a difference. She had been giving this question a lot of thought herself. In fact, it had been the only thing on her mind ever since she felt an attachment towards the girl. Unfortunately, she had deduced that there was no feasible way for them to keep in contact.

 

“The usual… email?”

 

“I… I don’t have a computer.”

 

“I’ll write you. My handwriting’s terrible but I promise I’ll improve.”

 

“No Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter