XII

사랑하니까 (On the Wings of Love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sehunnie, I’m so sorry about what happened… I shouldn’t have involved you…” Jessica started as soon as the two were safely in her motel room.

 

“Hey, it wasn’t your fault. This is no big deal. I’m more worried for you. Are you alright?” Tapping on the small cuts on his face gently, Sehun felt the pain disappear as the gashes closed up almost immediately, restoring his skin to perfection.

 

“I’m fine…”

 

“Look, I don’t care if this Im Yoona is supposed to be your mortal. Just stay away from her from now on. She is such an annoyance, just like the rest of her friends.”

 

“She’s not liable for whatever happened, Sehunnie. She wasn’t even there to begin with.” Jessica sat herself down onto the bed and hugged her knees to her chest, fixating her gaze on her toes. So much had happened within such a short duration of time and her mind was still replaying images of the incident.

 

“That’s exactly the problem. She doesn’t care about you, Jess.”

 

This made the girl frown, “She does.”

 

“What? You’re still on her side after what she put you through?” Sehun planted his arms on his hips as he stared at his friend, exasperated.

 

“That’s because I know things about her. She’s not a bad person. She even lost all her friends because of me, Sehunnie. I slipped up when I acted so distant from her this morning. It’s just that I couldn’t give her any explanation as to why I won’t be able to keep in contact with her after we leave.”

 

“Why would you need to explain things to her? Just tell her you’ll be going back wherever you came from. She doesn’t need to know too much.” Every word the boy muttered seemed to make Jessica feel increasingly annoyed. He did not know anything about the situation between the both of them at all. He was in no position at all to comment.

 

“I’m going to take a shower. I think it’ll be good if I cleared my mind for a bit. I’ll be out in a jiffy.” That said, the girl headed for the bathroom and shut the door before Sehun could say anything else.

 

*           *

 

Half an hour later, Jessica stepped out fresh from the shower with a towel draped over her head as she dried her dripping hair. When she noticed Sehun bent over at her desk as if reading something, she dashed over to realize he had found her notebook.

 

“S-Sehunnie…” She tried to snatch the book but the young man refused to let go.

 

“It’s not what you think it is.” She spoke up again when she noticed the clear look of utter disdain on his face.

 

“Then explain what these are, Jess...” Within the page Sehun was pointing at were scribblings of Yoona’s name surrounded with masses of heart shapes and other mushy writings. The girl could feel the heat building up in her cheeks as she ransacked her brain for excuses.

 

“I…”

 

“You’ve fallen in love with her.”

 

“No, I haven’t…”

 

“Stop denying it, Jess!” The fellow slammed the book shut before turning to face her with an expression of disbelief.

 

“Sehunnie, please don’t be like that. I don’t know what came over me. At first I thought we were just friends but we started having meaningful conversations and she was so nice to me and I found myself thinking about her all the time and oh gosh, I don’t know…” The girl turned away to catch her breath, putting the towel away before running her fingers through her damp hair.

 

Sehun could not believe his ears. It was outrageous. He had been in the dark all along. He thought they had always been on the same page about their affection towards each other. So he had been wrong all this while. How delusional of him. While he was so busy planning for their life together back in Heaven, Jessica had been falling deeper and deeper for this other person. Doing his best to keep his calm, he asked in the smallest voice he could manage, “Jess, do you remember what you told me at the beginning?”

 

There was no answer.

 

“You said this would all be just an enjoyable experience and nothing more, right? Jess, please tell me things are still the same.”

 

Still, the girl remained silent.

 

“Goodness, I can’t even be here right now.” And Sehun got onto his feet clumsily before proceeding toward the door.

 

“Sehunnie, please don’t leave. Talk to me. I know this all sounds very wrong but I’m really confused myself. I feel like I’m going insane. All these emotions I have inside of me… it’s all so new and frustrating…”

 

“What’s Rule 114, Jess?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter