Epilogue

Turned

 

Sehun groaned when his alarm clock went off. Rolling over in bed, he picked up the clock to turn it off. Seeing the time, his eyes widened. It was ten. His first class started at nine.

Jolting out of bed, Sehun yanked on his clothes from the night before, which lay scattered around the room. He didn’t have time for a shower, and he definitely didn’t have time for food if he wanted to make it to his ten thirty class. And he wanted to make it to that class. The prof he had for that course was particularly picky when it came to attendance.

Sehun grabbed his bag and left the apartment in a mad dash. The whole time he kept swearing to himself he’d kill his roommate when he got home. The bastard had probably set his clock ahead as some kind of stupid joke. Sehun would see how much his roommate laughed when he ‘forgot’ to pay the internet bill this month. Sehun could live off subway wifi for a few days if it meant vengeance.

Sehun reached the bus stop a minute before his bus was due to arrive. Taking a moment to calm himself down, Sehun took out his phone. He had a text, asking if he wanted to meet up for lunch. Sehun frowned at that. They both had class today. There wouldn’t be time to meet up. Sehun replied that of course he couldn’t meet for lunch.

Five minutes later, and Sehun was bouncing in spot. The bus was late, and at this rate he would be too.

Eventually, Sehun got over his distaste of talking to other people and asked a man at the stop if his bus had come early. The man frowned and told him the bus wouldn’t come for another half hour, since it was Saturday.

Saturday.

Sehun was really going to kill his roommate.



“I thought you couldn’t have lunch with me.” Jongin said, trying not to smirk as Sehun slid in across from him at the café table.

Sehun narrowed his eyes, “He told you about the prank, didn’t he?”

Now Jongin was grinning outright. “I really like your roommate.”

“You can have him, if you want.”

“I don’t think my boyfriend would like that.”

Sehun fought a sigh. Jongin hadn’t shut up about his boyfriend since they’d started dating. Which annoyed Sehun, but more than that it surprised him. Usually Jongin didn’t stay in a steady relationship for more than a week, let alone a month. It had been well over a month now. If Jongin was going for a record, he’d achieved it.

“I still don’t get why you two are dating.” Sehun said now, taking a sip from his coffee. “I mean, I don’t get why he’s dating you.

“Who wouldn’t want to date me?”

“Anyone who’s known you for more than twenty four hours. Which he has.”

Jongin shrugged. “Say what you want. We won’t be breaking up any time soon. Ever since the summer, it’s like we’ve had this connection. Be jealous if you want.”

Sehun snorted. He used to be jealous of Jongin, but he wasn’t anymore. He couldn’t explain why. Before the summer, he’d envied Jongin’s looks and appeal, and how everyone loved him. Now Sehun couldn’t care less.

Maybe something had happened over the summer. It was weird. Every time Sehun tried to think about it, his memories of the summer blurred. He couldn’t even distinctly remember when he’d met his roommate, only that they’d become friends.

Normally, Sehun would freak out over his seeming memory loss, but for whatever reason he never thought about it for very long. Other stuff always distracted him when he tried to.

“There you are!” Someone exclaimed, and then Zitao was wrapping his arms around Jongin’s neck. 

Jongin leaned back to grin at his boyfriend. “You took your time getting here.”

Zitao shrugged, also smiling as he took a seat. “I was finishing a paper.”

“Finishing a paper is more important than spending time with your boyfriend?”

“And best friend.” Sehun added, refusing to be left out as his two friends gushed over each other.

“It’s more important than you guys when it was due yesterday.” Zitao explained, then grinning again as he reached over to squeeze Jongin’s knee. “And I wanted to get it done so we could spend the day together!”

Jongin seemed to like this idea. Sehun, not so much. “I’m not spending the day with you guys. Not again. Last time you guys started making out during the movie I was trying to watch.”

“Then you shouldn’t have come along for our date.” Jongin pointed out.

“You said it wasn’t a date when I asked!”

“Ok, well I’m saying it this time; My boyfriend and I are going on a date today, so piss off.”

“You were the one that invited me out to lunch!”

“Yeah, that was before I realized my boyfriend would be free all day.” Jongin smiled at Zitao, and Sehun couldn’t help rolling his eyes. Ever since he’d started dating Zitao, Sehun didn’t think he’d heard Jongin refer to him as anything but ‘boyfriend’.

“You can still hang out with us if you want.” Zitao offered, not seeming opposed to the idea.

“No, he doesn’t want that.” Jongin gave Sehun a pointed look and Sehun stuck out his tongue. “He’s going to hang out with his roommate instead.”

“I do have something to talk to him about.” Sehun said, then adding, “But since I’m here under your invitation, and now you’re ditching me, you have to pay for my lunch.”

Jongin scowled at him. “Fine, whatever.”

“You’ll treat me too, right?” Zitao asked, giving Jongin one of his cute looks that were impossible to refuse.

“Of course.” Jongin smiled at him, then sent a quick glare at Sehun, “I don’t mind paying for my boyfriend.”

Again, Sehun rolled his eyes.



Sehun tried and failed to contact his roommate. Having nothing better to do, he stayed home and worked on a couple of projects he had to pass in the next week. More and more often since the fall semester had started Sehun found he was distracting himself with his schoolwork. Last year, he’d procrastinate, spending most of his time online or something equally as anti-social. But now he found the things he used to enjoy boring. He found everything boring, to a degree. Like he was waiting for something, and until it arrived he was just passing the time with everything else.

Sehun was thankful when he finally got a text back from his roommate that evening, including an address for the place he wanted to meet. Sehun didn’t know what his friend had in mind for the evening, but at that point he was just happy to leave the apartment and his current mood. He’d been feeling like that a lot lately, when left on his own. He’d start thinking about his life and he’d feel empty.

As it turned out, the place his friend wanted to meet up was a dive bar. Sehun sighed. He didn’t like places like this, but at least it wasn’t one of Jongin’s clubs. Not that Jongin took him to those much anymore; now he had Zitao to take along, and Jongin’s boyfriend seemed more than happy to go.

When Sehun arrived he spotted his roommate almost immediately, sitting at the bar. Despite the obvious fact Sehun had seen him, his friend make a big show of waving. Honestly, he seemed to like attention almost as much as Jongin.

“You’re paying for my drink.” Sehun said, as soon as he sat down.

“Why?”

“Why do you think. Mess with my alarm clock like that again and I’m moving out. Actually, come into my room again without my permission and I’ll move out.”

“You’re no fun.” Chanyeol said, but he ordered Sehun a drink anyway.

“So how did you find this place?” Sehun asked, looking around the bar.

Chanyeol shrugged. “I used to come here with the last guy I roomed with, but that was a while ago.”

“Right, your old roommate.” Chanyeol mentioned him from time to time, but nothing detailed. “What was his name again?”

Chanyeol thought a sec, then shrugged.

“Are you going to forget my name when I move out too?”

“Hey, it was a long time ago. And I don’t think we lived together that long. My memory’s not that bad.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Just shut up and appreciate the drink I was nice enough to buy you.” Chanyeol gestured to the glass the bartender had laid down.

Sehun picked up the drink. This was his first time seeing Chanyeol since the afternoon before. Between school and Chanyeol’s night shift at his job, they didn’t see each other often. Sehun asked how Chanyeol’s classes had gone, to which he received a groan followed by five minutes of over a paper he had due the middle of next week.

“You know, if you hadn’t taken those years off school, you’d probably have your degree by now.” Sehun said when Chanyeol finished complaining, bringing up the gap years his roommate had told him he’d taken.

Chanyeol gave his shoulder a shove. “You know I’m sensitive about that!”

Sehun knew he wasn’t. “Yeah? I’m sensitive about people sneaking into my room and messing with my alarm clock.”

“You know, one of these days I’ll teach you how to take a joke.”

“That, or I’ll move out.”

“Go ahead. Maybe my next roommate will actually have a sense of humour...” Chanyeol trailed off, his gaze landing on something behind Sehun. “Hey, I think that guy’s checking me out.”

Sehun scowled. “Good for you.”

“No, really.” Suddenly Chanyeol got up. “Switch seats with me a sec and tell me if I’m right.”

Sehun didn’t get up. “Are you kidding? That’s so obvious.”

“Fine.” Chanyeol sat on the other side of Sehun.

“That’s still obvious.”

“Whatever. Do you see him, behind me at the end of the bar? He’s with some other guy, but I don’t think they’re together. At least, not together together. You know, not dating –”

“I know what you mean!” Sehun discretely peeked over Chanyeol’s shoulder. His gaze landed on a small-framed guy, with bright orange hair. The moment their eyes met, Sehun felt a shiver run his spine.

“So?” Chanyeol pressed, “What do you think?”

“I...” Sehun turned back to the bar. He reached for his drink, wrapping his hands around it like an anchor. Why was he suddenly so shaky?

“You ok?” Chanyeol asked, concerned.

“Yeah. I’m fine...”

“Good. So was he looking at me? I bet he was.” Instead of waiting for Sehun to answer, Chanyeol glanced over his shoulder. After a moment, he frowned. “He’s gone. Did you scare him off?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Sehun said. “He probably just noticed two random guys were staring at him. Or maybe he went off to find his friend.”

“He wasn’t with him?”

“Not that I could see.” Sehun gripped his drink more tightly. “Let’s just forget about it, ok?”

“Fine, but I still say I’m right.”

“Whatever.” Sehun tipped his glass to his lips, but frowned when he realized it was empty. “Chanyeol, I need another drink.”

“Then buy it yourself. I’ve already paid you back for the alarm clock thing.”

“You think one drink makes up for that?”

Before Chanyeol could say anything else, the bartender placed two drinks in front of them. When Chanyeol asked about the drinks, the bartender shrugged and said someone else had paid for them.

“I bet it was that guy who was staring at me.” Chanyeol said, looking around the bar. “Damn, why did he have to be short? I can’t see him.”

“Maybe you should go look for him.” Sehun said, then took a sip of his drink.

He hadn’t been serious, so when Chanyeol actually got up Sehun nearly spit his drink out. “I think I will. You know, discretely.”

Sehun couldn’t help thinking there was nothing discrete about Chanyeol. He watched his friend move through the crowd, painfully obvious he was looking for someone. Sighing, Sehun turned back to his drink.

“Is anyone sitting here?”

Sehun froze. As he turned to face the speaker, a sense of déjà vu washed over him, like he’d seen this scene before. But he couldn’t have, because the person that was speaking to him, he definitely would have remembered. He was beautiful.

“No.” Sehun said. “No one’s sitting there.”

The guy smiled at him and sat down. “How’s the drink?”

“You paid for this?” 

“Would it be a problem if I did?”

Sehun was shocked, not just because a stranger had bought him a drink, but because a hot stranger had bought him a drink.

“Not a problem.” Sehun managed to choke out. Why did he suddenly feel so nervous? No, not nervous. Flustered.

Sehun never got flustered.

“What’s your name?” The guy asked, smiling a little. Probably at the dumb expression Sehun had on his face, because he was sure he had a dumbstruck expression right now.

“Sehun.” Again, Sehun winced at his scratchy voice. Could he be more embarrassing?

“And?”

And what? Did the guy want Sehun’s full name?

“Aren’t you going to ask my name?” The guy pressed. He wasn’t smiling anymore, but wore an expectant expression.

“Oh, right.” Now Sehun was even more flustered, and more embarrassed. “What’s, um, your name?”

“Luhan.”

Sehun suddenly felt dizzy. He didn’t know why. He gripped the edge of the bar, trying to steady himself.

“Sehun?” Luhan asked, gently touching his arm. “Are you ok?”

Sehun tried to answer, but he couldn’t, not with Luhan touching him. It was such a light touch, and through his shirt sleeve too, but he felt like it was burning him.

And not in a bad way.

“I’m fine.” Sehun finally managed, discretely shifting his arm away from Luhan’s touch. “So, uh, you come here a lot?”

A smile ghosted across Luhan’s face. “Not really. Maybe once or twice a week.”

“That sounds like a lot to me.”

Luhan was grinning now. “Does it? And how often do you go out?”

“I dunno, once a month?” Sehun flushed and clamped his mouth shut. He might as well come out and tell this guy he was an anti-social loser.

But Luhan just laughed, “You don’t like going out?”

Sehun shrugged. “I guess I just prefer to be on my own.” Though lately, not even that made Sehun happy.

“Would you like to be on your own now?”

Sehun glanced at Luhan, and found himself falling into his dark, shining eyes.

“No.” Sehun said, and it was true. “Not right now.”



When Sehun bothered to go out to bars or clubs, he usually had a bit to drink. Or a bit more than a bit. But after Luhan showed up, Sehun found himself forgetting about his drink completely.

At one point, Luhan asked Sehun if he wanted to dance. There weren’t many people dancing, since it had gotten late, but Sehun didn’t care. He liked dancing anyway, which he told Luhan. Luhan lit up when he said that.

Sehun saw Chanyeol at one point, at the bar with the bright haired guy. Chanyeol looked like he was talking even more than normal. The guy with him didn’t seem to mind. If anything, he looked amused.

As the night wore on, the bar emptied. Eventually even Chanyeol and the bright haired guy had left. Now there were only a few people at the bar, and Sehun and Luhan on the dance floor. The music was a soft lull now, but Sehun kept his arms around Luhan, and Luhan made no move to raise his head from Sehun’s shoulder. Sehun wasn’t used to being this close to anyone, in this intimate a position, especially someone he didn’t know, but somehow it felt right.

Finally, everyone was made to leave the bar when it closed. Sehun almost didn’t notice that he and Luhan were hand in hand as they left. When he did, Sehun couldn’t bring himself to pull his hand away. Just thinking about it was like a physical pain.

They stopped on the sidewalk outside the bar. Luhan stood next to Sehun, staring up at the full moon. “It’s really beautiful, isn’t it?”

Sehun followed Luhan’s gaze. “I guess so.”

Luhan gave Sehun a questioning look. “You don’t feel drawn to it?”

“Not really.” Sehun said.

For a moment, a sad look passed over Luhan’s face. Then he was back to smiling softly. His voice was just as soft as he asked. “What about me?”

Sehun flushed. “What about you?”

“Are you drawn to me?”

Sehun was attracted to Luhan, he had to admit that. More than attracted. Maybe drawn was the right word. But still, it was embarrassing to say. Especially to someone he’d just met.

The sadness flashed in Luhan’s eyes again, rawer than before. After a moment’s hesitation, he reached up and planted a soft kiss on Sehun’s lips. It happened so suddenly, and finished so quickly, Sehun had no time to react. All that was left was a lingering sweetness on his mouth.

Luhan let go of Sehun’s hand. “Bye.”

“Wait.” Sehun said, when Luhan started to walk away. “How will I see you again?”

“I don’t think you will. Tonight was enough. I don’t think... I’m sorry, but I don’t think I could take this anymore.”

Sehun didn’t understand. Did Luhan really dislike him that much? Somehow, Sehun knew that wasn’t true. And he definitely knew tonight wasn’t enough, not for him.

But he didn’t know how to express any of this. All he could do was stare helplessly at Luhan, wishing his eyes could convey what his words couldn’t.

Luhan smiled at him and, although Sehun didn’t understand why, that smile almost broke his heart. “Goodbye, Sehun.”

Luhan turned and walked away. Sehun watched him go, shocked when he felt tears pricking at the corners of his eyes. He couldn’t imagine it. Never seeing Luhan again, continuing to live his life without him. He’d just met him, but Sehun knew he didn’t want that. He didn’t want a life without Luhan.

His fingers brushed over his lips, where Luhan had kissed him, and his gaze locked on the full moon, staring down at him. What he’d said to Luhan had been true, he didn’t feel drawn to the full moon. Not anymore.

But he still felt drawn to Luhan. And now Sehun knew for sure. It wasn’t because of the bite. It was because of Luhan. It was because he loved Luhan.

Sehun ran, as fast as he could with his human speed. Luhan heard him coming and turned, lips slightly parted in surprise. That was all Sehun saw before he crashed into him, enveloping him in a tight embrace.

“I’m so sorry.” Sehun whispered, lips next to Luhan’s ear. “I’m sorry I left you. I was a coward. I thought I couldn’t live with it, everything that happened. But I can. I can live with anything as long as I have you. What I can’t live with is losing you.”

Luhan caught his breath. When he spoke, he sounded like he was afraid to say it. “You remember?”

Sehun nodded against Luhan’s shoulder. “I don’t know how. Maybe... I don’t know. Maybe we really are perfect mates. Whatever the reason, I promise I’ll never forget again. I’ll never leave you again.”

“Sehun.” Luhan’s voice broke as he wrapped his arms around Sehun, clutching him like he was afraid he’d disappear. “I tried to stay away, Sehun. I really did. But I couldn’t. Even if you didn’t remember me, I had to see you one last time.”

“It’s not the last time.” Sehun whispered into Luhan’s hair, before pulling back and looking him in the eyes. “Wolf or human, I don’t care. From now on, I’ll always be with you, Luhan. I won’t run away again.”

Luhan’s eyes were wide and hopeful, “Are you sure? I’d understand. So much has happened, and it’s going to hurt to face it all again...”

“I’m never leaving you. You can order me, if you want.”

“I can’t do that anymore. Even if I could, I wouldn’t.”

“I know.” Sehun said. “But you’re wrong about that. You can order me. Pureblood power or not, I don’t think I could refuse you.”

Luhan blushed. “I think... that goes both ways.”

Sehun smiled and leaned in. When he was a breath away from Luhan’s lips, he whispered, “And by the way, now that I’m human again I can see things from a better perspective. I don’t think you’re as beautiful as the full moon anymore.”

Luhan leaned back, blinking at him in surprise, “You don’t?”

“Nope.” Sehun grinned. “You’re even more beautiful.” And then he kissed him.


A/N: Huge thanks to bling_min for beta-reading and editing this creature. And thanks to everyone who commented or subscribed or voted up this story- you guys are the best! You don't know how much I appreciate the feedback! I wish I could give you all virtual cupcakes but my virtual oven is broken so...

If you guys ever want to request an exo fic or talk fanfics or whatever, feel free to message me here or on tumblr (I'm fluho there). I'm done now! I hope you enjoyed Turned! Thanks again for reading! <3