Chapter 12

Turned

 

It was the day of the blue moon.

Luhan hadn’t been back since his first visit, and they still hadn’t come up with a plan. Not even Minseok could come up with a way out. At this point, Sehun was nearly unhinged. If they didn’t do something – and soon – Yifan and Luhan would mate.

It was late afternoon when the stairwell door opened. Sehun sat up, expecting Zitao or Yixing, who had been guarding them in shifts. But it wasn’t. Sehun saw that instantly, when Jongdae stopped in front of his door.

“What are you doing?” Sehun asked, watching warily as Jongdae unlocked his cell.

“I’m bringing you to my leader.” Jongdae said, and Sehun’s stomach knotted. Was Yifan going to kill him, now that the blue moon was so close Luhan couldn’t get away?

Jongdae opened the door and gestured for Sehun to come out. Sehun glanced down the hall, expecting to see Yixing or Zitao there as backup.

“I’m alone.” Jongdae said. “Don’t think that means you can try something. You know how fast I am. I’ll knock you out before you finish attacking, and that’s going to make my job a lot harder.”

“I don’t exactly want to make your job easy.”

Jongdae grinned. “Yes, you do.”

Before Sehun could say anything to that, Jongdae went to Jongin’s cell. Unlocking the door, he flung it open and started back down the hall, calling over his shoulder. “Hurry up. And shut the door behind you.”

“What?” Minseok asked as Jongdae passed his cell. “I’m not invited?”

“Afraid not.” Jongdae told him. “Even if the leader wanted you, you’ve been ordered not to leave your room.”

Minseok smirked at him. “But you wouldn’t let me out anyway, would you?”

“Yifan’s right; you are clever.” Jongdae waved at Sehun and Jongin to hurry before going down the hall.

Minseok, still standing at his door window, shook his head and said to himself. “I knew it.”

“You knew what?” Sehun asked.

“Doesn’t matter. You’ll find out soon enough.” Minseok waved them on, as Jongdae had done. “Hurry up. You don’t want to lose your chance.”

“What are you talking about?” Jongin asked, giving Minseok a skeptical look.

“You guys haven’t figured it out, yet?” Minseok rolled his eyes. “What am I saying? Of course you haven’t. You’re two of the most naive people I know.” Minseok jutted his chin towards Jongdae, who was waiting impatiently at the door to the stairwell. “He’s breaking you out.”



“Why are you helping us?” Jongin demanded as they made their way up the stairs.

Jongdae smirked at him, then pressed a finger to his lips. “If you guys want to get out of here, you should keep quiet.”

Jongin lowered his volume, but he still spoke. “How were you even able to free us? Didn’t Yifan order you guys not to help us out?”

“He ordered Luhan not to help you. Why bother commanding the part of his pack that’s always been loyal to him?”

“If you’re so loyal, why are you helping us?”

Again, Jongdae only grinned. They’d reached the fourth floor. Pausing, Jongdae listened outside the door before leading them into the hall. Sehun listened, but couldn’t pick up on anything. The level was clear.

Jongdae led them to the same fire escape they’d used the first time they broke in. Unlike when Minseok had tried to get Sehun out earlier, Zitao wasn’t lying in wait. Nobody was. Their path to freedom was clear.

“Get back to your den as quickly as possible.” Jongdae said. “There’s not much time. Soon Yifan will know you’ve escaped.”

“I’m not leaving.” Sehun said. “Tonight’s the blue moon. We have to stop Yifan now.”

“That’s going to work about as well as the first time you tried it.” Jongdae said, reminding Sehun of his failed challenge. “If you really want to stop Yifan, get back to your pack right now. The moon isn’t up yet, so there’s still time.”

“He’s right.” Jongin said. “Sehun, we can’t do this on our own. Let’s go.”

Sehun pressed his lips into a thin line, but stopped arguing. As painful as it was to leave Luhan now, he knew Jongin and Jongdae were right. They couldn’t stop Yifan as they were.

“Here.” Jongdae said, handing a letter to Sehun. “Give this to Junmyeon.”

“Are you on our side?” Sehun asked, unable to help being suspicious of the other wolf despite the help he’d given them.

Jongdae tapped the letter. “I’m on his side. Now go.”

Jongin was already on the fire escape, quickly but quietly descending. Sticking the letter in his pocket, Sehun cast one last glance at Jongdae and the door behind him, hesitating.

“There’s nothing you can do for him right now.” Jongdae said. “Trust your pack. Trust Junmyeon. He’ll know what to do.”

After a moment more, Sehun nodded. Vowing he would come back for Luhan and find a way to stop Yifan, however impossible it seemed. Sehun ducked out the window and followed Jongin. He didn’t look back.



Baekhyun was the one to open the apartment door, still wearing his pajamas. At first he looked sleepy but upon seeing Jongin, and Sehun behind him, his eyes widened and lips parted in surprise. Jongin, having heard about his betrayal, didn’t say a word as he pushed past him into the living room. Sehun followed, not even looking at Baekhyun.

“I’ll wake up Junmyeon and the others.” Jongin said, heading down the hall.

“What are you doing here?” Baekhyun asked, still staring at Sehun, “Aren’t you –”

“Imprisoned? Not anymore. Sorry to disappoint you.”

Baekhyun was about to say something else, but the noise Jongin was making to wake up everyone drowned him out. In seconds Junmyeon, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were opening their bedroom doors. When Kyungsoo saw Jongin, he actually hugged him, relief plain on his face. Both Junmyeon and Chanyeol looked shocked, even more so, when they saw Sehun in the living room.

“What happened?” Junmyeon asked, “Chanyeol said you two were caught.”

“We were, but we had help getting out.”

“Who was it?” Chanyeol asked quickly, gaze on Sehun. Even though he hadn’t asked specifically, the look in Chanyeol’s eyes told Sehun he wanted to know if it was Minseok. Sehun didn’t know if that meant Chanyeol knew Minseok had been captured, or if he just hadn’t been in contact with him since leaving the club and was concerned.

“It was Jongdae.” Sehun said, and although Chanyeol looked disappointed, Junmyeon tensed. Sehun took out the letter. “He told me to give this to you.”

Junmyeon accepted it without question. He opened the letter immediately and read it. Dread washed over his face.

“Sehun,” Junmyeon said, folding up the letter. His voice was calm, at odds with his expression. “I need you to tell me everything that’s happened. Jongdae mentioned some, but I need to know the details if we have any hope of stopping Yifan.” Junmyeon’s gaze snapped to Chanyeol, then Baekhyun. “You two as well. I know Minseok was involved, so I need you to tell me the truth. All of it.”

Sehun wasn’t sure what Junmyeon didn’t know, because he didn’t show them the letter, so he just started with his first encounter with Minseok. He summed up the plan that he and Jongin had gone along with, and what had happened as a result. When he got to the part where he and Chanyeol snuck in to save Jongin, Kyungsoo interrupted.

“We weren’t a part of that.” He said, puzzled. “We still hadn’t come up with a plan when Chanyeol said he caught the scent of the other park near here. We split up to search for them, not to cause a distraction so you guys could sneak into the other den.”

Chanyeol flushed. Now that his dealings with Minseok were out in the open, he explained. “Yeah, that was, uh, all a lie. Minseok told me it would be safest if Sehun and I went in to get Jongin on our own. He told me I should lie to you guys, get you away while I took Sehun to the club.”

Baekhyun was glaring at Chanyeol. “I can’t believe you fell for his act.”

“It wasn’t an act! Minseok really wanted to help get Jongin out, just like he tried to help Sehun and Luhan get out of the city! I know you like to think all purebloods are like Yifan, but Minseok isn’t! He doesn’t agree with what Yifan does!”

“That’s because he wants Yifan’s power for himself!” Baekhyun snapped, “Why can’t you see that! All purebloods really are the same!”

“They aren’t.” Sehun said.

“I don’t want to hear that from you. Minseok tricked you into helping him too, plus you’re infatuated with Luhan. You still can’t see what they’re really like.”

“That’s enough.” Junmyeon said. Although it wasn’t an order, his voice held so much authority Baekhyun actually shut his mouth, turning to his leader in surprise. “I understand why you’re so upset, after everything that’s happened to you. And maybe you’re right about purebloods. Maybe we are all the same. But you need to at least be willing to consider that some of us are different.”

“Us?” Baekhyun echoed, confused.

“Yes.” Junmyeon said. “I’m a pureblood too.”

Baekhyun stared at him, stunned.

Junmyeon sighed. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you all sooner. I thought it was for the best, since the purebloods are at fault for your being turned. But that wasn’t my only reason for keeping it from you. I was being selfish. I knew if I was honest about who I was, I’d have to tell you all about my past too, and that was something I didn’t want to face. I still don’t. I’m ashamed of it. But I have to face it now, and I have to tell you.”

“You don’t have to tell us.” Kyungsoo said, squeezing Junmyeon’s arm. “We’ll understand.”

“No, you deserve to know.” Junmyeon steadied his gaze, looking around at each of them in turn. “Some of you know this already, but I’m the youngest of the purebloods. I grew up with the others. My parents, they were close to the leader of the pack when I was a child, so Yifan and I spent a lot of time together. Most of our time together. Yifan... he never used to be like he is now. But after he became the leader and made his first turn, everything changed. He got a taste of that power and wanted more. A lot more. Yixing was his first turn, but I know he turned many more humans after that, ones he didn’t bring back to the pack because they weren’t strong enough, weren’t useful enough. He turned them simply because he could, and because it would make him more powerful. When I found out... I was furious. He’d hidden it from me, the fact he was turning so many innocent people. When I found out I told him to stop, and at first he said he would. But he started to abuse his power. He’d order Yixing to do everything for him, and then one day he started commanding us, his fellow purebloods. Not me, not right away. But Luhan and Minseok. Whenever they got in an argument of any sort, Yifan would use his power over them. They didn’t tell me. He’d ordered them not to tell me. I saw him do it. Again, I asked him to stop. I told him I understood he was our leader, but he couldn’t mistreat his fellow purebloods. Again, he told me he’d do as I asked.”

Junmyeon paused to catch his breath. He wasn’t looking at anyone anymore, but a spot on the wall. His gaze was unfocussed, seeing something from the past. “But it happened again. Him ordering the others. Him turning humans. When I approached him about it, he wasn’t even sorry anymore. He explained to me that it was his right, as the leader and as a pureblood. He said I should understand and respect his actions. We got into an argument – our first real argument. In the end he ordered me to stop talking. It was the first time he’d ever ordered me to do anything, and I was so shocked I don’t think I would have been able to speak even if I was allowed to. After that, we started getting distant from each other. At least, I distanced myself from him. He almost seemed sorry, about having ordered me, but he continued to command the others and turn people, so even if he felt bad about what he’d done to me I knew he wouldn’t change. He seemed to realize I knew that, because he decided to try and make me see it his way. To give me a taste of that power, so that I’d understand him. He...” Junmyeon closed his eyes for a moment, composing himself. “He forced me to turn Jongdae.

“Before that happened, Jongdae and I had been friends. He didn’t know what I was, but I didn’t want him to know. See, we purebloods envy humans. They have so many options, so much freedom. My friendship with Jongdae was like a little piece of humanity I had to myself. But Yifan took that from me. I can’t help but think he did that not just to try and force me to understand him, but to take away the one thing out of his control that made me happy. After that, I couldn’t forgive him. We got into another argument. A bad one. I told Yifan that I didn’t know him anymore. That he’d turned into a stranger, and I hated that stranger. He actually looked hurt when I said that, but I kept pushing. I told him I’d never forgive him for making me change Jongdae, and that if he ever wanted to see me again he’d have to command me to appear before him. That was what sent him over the edge. He decided to do the opposite. He said he never wanted me to appear before him again. He phrased it as a command. That was the last command I was given before being cast out, and one I have to abide by, even today.”

The room was silent when Junmyeon finished. Sehun didn’t know what to say, or where to look. The others seemed to have the same problem.

At least, until Chanyeol said, “Why didn’t you take Jongdae with you, when you made your own pack?”

“The same reason Minseok didn’t bring you back with him to his pack. Strategically, it made more sense. Having a spy in the other pack that Yifan trusted could prove invaluable. And it has. Tonight is evidence of that. The night Yifan sent Jongdae after you as well, Sehun. If he’d truly been loyal to Yifan, you never would have gotten away, even after your jump. Jongdae has been working in secret to help me, to help us, however, and whenever he can.”

Junmyeon took a breath, “Having said that, it was Jongdae’s decision to stay with Yifan. I couldn’t persuade him to come with me when I left, and I tried. He kept telling me he would join my pack, when the time was right. When I was definitely safe from Yifan. That time hasn’t come yet. But it will. Tonight’s the blue moon, so no matter what we have to stop Yifan.”

“How?” Jongin asked, “There’s no way we can beat him. Sehun already tried, and if Luhan hadn’t stepped in –”

“What are you talking about?” Kyungsoo asked, giving Jongin a confused look. Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked similarly confused. “Are you actually saying Sehun challenged Yifan?”

“Yeah, dumb an idea as it was.”

“Hey!” Sehun snapped. “I didn’t have a choice at the time!”

“I can’t believe you survived.” Kyungsoo said, staring at him in slight awe.

“He wouldn’t have, if not for Luhan.” Jongin said again. “He showed up just in time to stop Yifan from killing him.”

“Yifan has Luhan?” Chanyeol asked, concern bright in his eyes.

Junmyeon waved his letter. “Jongdae mentions that. This is why we have to work quickly. I have a few things to sort out, but then we’ll go. In the mean time, everyone get ready. Tonight, we’re all going to the other den.”



Sehun didn’t really know how to get ready. He changed, since he’d been in the same clothes for a few days, and the shirt he was wearing still bore tears and blood stains. Aside from that he couldn’t think of a way to prepare. He just wanted to go. Waiting while Junmyeon did whatever he had to do made Sehun jumpy. Every second they wasted was a second closer to the rise of the blue moon.

Finally Sehun couldn’t handle it anymore. He left the living room, where Chanyeol and the others were discussing the best way to break in, and went to Junmyeon’s bedroom. The door was slightly ajar so instead of knocking Sehun just slipped in.

Junmyeon was sitting at the desk beside his bed, huddled over the letter from Jongdae. Except it wasn’t the one from Jongdae, Sehun realized. It was the old letter he’d seen Junmyeon with before, and there were others like it strewn on the table.

“What are you doing?” Sehun asked.

Junmyeon gave a little jump, then turned to offer a faint smile. “You scared me.”

“Is that even possible? You’re a pureblood.”

“Yes, but you were turned by Luhan.” Junmyeon explained. “Luhan was always extremely light-footed. I’m not surprised you’re that way too. He was always able to sneak up on me, if he felt like it. The same with Yifan, actually. The only one Luhan could never surprise was Minseok.”

“Is Minseok really the strongest?” Sehun asked, remembering the eldest pureblood’s claim.

Junmyeon bit his lip as he thought. Finally, he said, “Minseok is the strongest in terms of inherited ability. But he hasn’t turned nearly as many people as Yifan. In fact, I think he’s only turned Chanyeol. But Yifan commanded him to stop after his first turn, so he wouldn’t become more powerful. I’m not sure if he would have turned more otherwise.”

Sehun was inclined to think Minseok would have, if it meant more power. But then he remembered the eldest’s exchange with Luhan, back in the basement. Luhan had seemed to think Minseok genuinely cared about Chanyeol. If that were true, would Minseok have refrained from turning anyone else? Would he have thought Chanyeol was enough?

“What are those?” Sehun asked, gesturing to the letters when he realized Junmyeon still hadn’t explained what he was doing.

Junmyeon turned his attention to the letters with sad eyes. “They’re from Yifan.”

“They are?”

“Yes. Not long after I was cast from the pack, Yifan started sending me letters. He... he sounded like his old self for once. He told me he wanted me to come back, to join them again. But once an order has been given no one can change it. Not even the leader. He’d told me never to appear in front of him again, which means I never can, even if he wants that to change. He doesn’t, I’m sure, not anymore. But he did. When he realized there was no way for us to be together anymore, he said – in his letters – that he was fine to keep talking like this. Even if he couldn’t see me anymore he said he didn’t want to lose me entirely. That he couldn’t lose me. He sounded like his old self for once, and I thought maybe he was finally going back to normal.”

Junmyeon’s expression hardened. “But then I found Kyungsoo. Yixing had turned him, under Yifan’s orders. Yifan was still trying to gain more power, and still ruthlessly commanding the rest of the pack. It was only in his letters that he acted like he used to. And that’s all it was. An act. I’m sure he didn’t want to lose me, but the truth was he didn’t want to lose his power even more. In the end, I stopped writing to him. He kept sending me letters, but I sent them all back. Eventually, he stopped.

“I’m finally going to reply to him, though.” Junmyeon reached for a new, sealed envelope. He held it out to Sehun. “I can’t deliver it to him myself, because his orders prevent me from going near both him and the den. Tonight, you guys will have to break in again. I know it’s risky, but it’s the only chance we have to stop him.”

“Break in to deliver a letter?” Sehun asked. “What’s that supposed to do?”

“It’s not just a letter.” Junmyeon said. “It’s a challenge.”

“Challenge?” Sehun’s eyes widened. He remembered what he’d heard, about Junmyeon being the weakest pureblood. Then he flashed back to his own fight with Yifan. If not for Luhan, he really would have been killed. And quickly too. Even if Junmyeon was more powerful than him, no way was he more powerful than Yifan.

“Are you sure?” Sehun asked.

Junmyeon nodded, and Sehun could see he’d already made up his mind. “To be honest, I don’t know if I can beat him. The odds are against me. Hopefully, he’ll still have... hopefully he’ll still feel something for me, even if it’s wistfulness over the past, and he’ll decline the challenge so that we don’t have to kill each other. If he does that, then he’ll lose his position as leader. He’ll be out of power, no longer a threat, and no one will have to die.”

“But what if he accepts your challenge?”

Junmyeon set his jaw. “If that happens then I’ll fight him. If... if it looks like I’m losing, and fast, you all have to leave. Not just the den, but the city. There won’t be any stopping Yifan after I’m dead, so the most you can do is stay safe. Yifan’s orders may prevent them from escaping, but try and find a loophole in his commands to get the rest of his pack out. Minseok’s good at getting around orders, so have him help you. But even if you can’t free them – even if it means leaving people you care about behind – Sehun, you and the others have to get away.”

Sehun swallowed. He didn’t know if he could leave Luhan again, after everything. But he couldn’t worry about it, because that would mean accepting the fact that Junmyeon might die.

“Are you sure there’s not another way?” Sehun asked.

“I’m sure. Just like you were sure when you challenged Yifan. Or am I wrong?” When Sehun didn’t reply, Junmyeon handed him the letter. “Whatever happens tonight, Sehun, you have to deliver my challenge to Yifan. Not only Luhan’s freedom, but everyone’s freedom depends on it.”



“I can’t go any farther than this.” Junmyeon said, a pained expression on his face. They were a few blocks from the club, using the back alleys to go faster.

“The command?” Kyungsoo asked, to which Junmyeon nodded.

“Good luck.” He told them quietly.

As the others kept going, Sehun paused to glance back at Junmyeon, who was still watching him. Junmyeon met his eyes in encouragement before gesturing him on. Sehun nodded and followed the others.

They’d decided to enter the den through the club, since Chanyeol had pointed out Yifan would expect them to use the fire escape. When they reached the building, however, they were surprised to find the club was closed.

“I guess he doesn’t want to chance humans messing up his plan.” Jongin said.

“We’ll use the side exit.” Chanyeol gestured to the alley. “Even if we have to force it open, that won’t be as obvious as going through the front.”

The others agreed and they followed Chanyeol. Even though he hadn’t been to the den as much as Sehun and Jongin, Chanyeol knew the layout best, thanks to Minseok.

When they reached the side exit, Sehun wondered not for the first time if they should split up. Early on they’d decided to stay together, since individually most of them were weaker than wolves from the other pack. Still, Sehun couldn’t help thinking if they got caught all together it would ruin their chances of success.

Chayeol tried the door, and his eyes widened a bit when it opened easily. Peering into the dark club beyond, Chanyeol took a tentative step inside. He paused.

“I can’t pick up on anything.” Chanyeol whispered after a moment. “There’s too many lingering scents in the way. Not even I’ll be able to track in here.”

“Then we’ll just have to search every room.” Baekhyun growled, walking in behind Chanyeol. The others followed too, Sehun last. He let the door fall shut behind them.

Inside the abandoned club, Sehun looked around. When it was packed with people the place seemed huge, but empty it seemed even bigger. The black tiles of the empty dance floor stretched out before them, leading to the abandoned bar and stage.

Jongin stepped out in front of the group, walking purposefully through the club. Over his shoulder, he said to the others. “The stairs are this –”

Before he could finish something slammed into him from above, knocking him down. Kyungsoo shouted out in surprised and both Sehun and Chanyeol moved to help Jongin. But something else came down from the second level, blocking their path. Another wolf.

The wolf that currently had Jongin pinned was larger, but the wolf blocking them had an intelligent glint to its glowing red eyes.

“Yixing!” Kyungsoo gasped.

The wolf lunged. Sehun and Chanyeol jumped out of the way just in time to avoid him.

“What do we do?!” Sehun called out to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol cast a glance to Jongin, who was still struggling with the large wolf on top of him that had to be Zitao, then looked at Yixing who had started to circle the pack.

“We can’t waste time fighting them!” Chanyeol finally called.

“Does it look like we have a choice?!” Baekhyun demanded. He was trying to block Kyungsoo, who Yixing seemed to have taken specific interest in.

“A little help guys?!” Jongin yelled.

Suddenly another wolf was running towards Jongin and Zitao. Chanyeol called out a warning, but it ended up being pointless. The wolf nipped at Zitao’s flank, surprising him enough to give Jongin a chance to shove him off. On his feet now, Jongin quickly backed away from Zitao, keeping the wolf in his sight the whole time.

Meanwhile, the new wolf had darted away, now distracting Yixing.

“What’s going on?” Baekhyun muttered, frowning at the new wolf that was protecting them.

“It’s Jongdae.” Sehun said, recognizing his wolf form from the time he was chased. “He’s giving us a chance to escape!”

“Then let’s go!” Baekhyun said, starting for the stairwell.

“He can’t hold them off on his own!” Jongin called, still facing off with Zitao. “I’ll stay!”

“You can’t!” Sehun exclaimed, remembering the last time he’d left Jongin behind with Zitao.

“I have to.” Jongin said, briefly meeting Sehun’s eyes. “If we can distract these guys long enough, that means you only have to deal with Yifan. You have to go.”

Sehun bit his lip. He didn’t want to leave Jongin, or Jongdae, but he had to get to Yifan.

“I’ll stay too!” Kyungsoo suddenly exclaimed.

“But Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun started to say, “You’re...”

“I’m the weakest, I know.” Kyungsoo’s gaze was fixed on Yixing, who was trying to get around Jongdae to attack them. “But three against two are better odds, even if the third is me.”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn’t seem to like the answer, but neither argued. They took off for the stairwell.

Zitao seemed to realized they were fleeing. He turned to stop them.

The last thing Sehun saw before the stairwell door shut behind him was Jongin, now in wolf form, tackling Zitao to the ground.

“We have to hurry.” Chanyeol said. “Yifan probably knows we’re here.”

“We’re searching the upper levels, right?” Baekhyun said, already starting up the stairs. Sehun followed.

Both of them stopped when they realized Chanyeol wasn’t behind them.

“Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked, staring down at his friend, who’s gaze was on the stairs. The ones leading down.

“He could help us.” Chanyeol said. “He’s the only one who’s ever been close to stopping Yifan before.”

“We don’t have time for this!” Baekhyun snapped, “Besides, he can’t leave that room, right?! There’s no point in trying!”

“I have to try.” Chanyeol said. “It’s my fault he’s down there.”

“It’s his own fault!”

“No, it isn’t.” Chanyeol took a breath. “If I’d told you about him, and you hadn’t found out the way you had, I could have explained. You wouldn’t have gone to Yifan then, thinking it was the right thing to do. So it’s my fault.”

“Yes, you should have told me!” Baekhyun almost shouted, red-faced. “I can’t believe you lied to me all this time, and I hated you when I found out, but it’s not your fault! Stop acting like everything bad that happens to me, or every mistake I make is your fault!”

“But –”

“No, don’t say anything else! I don’t blame you, ok? I’m mad about what happened to me, and I’m mad about what’s happening, but I’m not mad at you. So don’t feel like you have to make up for everything!”

Chanyeol looked down. He didn’t seem to know what to say.

Baekhyun scoffed, attention back on the stairs. “We don’t have time for this. Chanyeol, we’ll talk later, alright? Good luck.”

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol asked, confused as he took a step towards them.

“I mean go rescue your stupid pureblood. If he’s as useful as you say, we’ll probably need him soon.”

Chanyeol’s gaze softened. “Thank you.”

Baekhyun scowled, not looking at him. “Whatever. Sehun, let’s go.”

Sehun, who had been growing very impatient throughout the exchange, hurried up the stairs immediately. Chanyeol stayed where he was a moment, watching them. Then Sehun heard him head to the basement, to try and free Minseok.

“Are you sure that was a good idea?” Sehun asked, once he heard a door below them close, signalling Chanyeol was out of ear shot.

“No.” Baekhyun said, lips thin. “But the pureblood could come in useful. However much I hate him.”

“So you still hate purebloods.”

“Yes. No. I don’t know. I don’t hate Junmyeon, and I don’t really know Luhan at all. I guess it’s more the person that I hate than what they are.” Baekhyun said the next part with conviction, “But I do hate Minseok.”

“Because he turned Chanyeol?”

Baekhyun didn’t reply right away, face slightly red. After a moment he grumbled an affirmative, but Sehun had a feeling there was more to his dislike of the pureblood than just that.

The third floor sounded empty, but they still quickly walked down the hall to check. The fourth floor was the same. They wouldn’t be on the top floor, would they?

Suddenly, a thought came to Sehun and his gut clenched. What if they weren’t in the building at all? What if Yifan had taken Luhan somewhere secret?

When they reached the fifth floor, however, Sehun paused before opening the door. He thought he heard something on this level. He listened a moment longer, and now he was sure. It didn’t sound like it could be more than one person, though.

“Do you think it’s him?” Sehun asked, stepping away from the door to let Baekhyun better listen. Even if Baekhyun’s hearing wasn’t as good as his, he still wanted a second opinion before venturing onto the level.

Baekhyun frowned to himself as he listened. “There’s definitely someone there.”

“But do you think it’s Luhan or Yifan?”

Baekhyun shrugged. “Does it really matter? If it’s Luhan, he’ll probably know where Yifan is. If it’s Yifan, then mission more or less accomplished. Now let’s go.”

Baekhyun opened the door, and they quietly slipped into the hall. It was empty, which meant whoever was on the level was in one of the rooms.

Sehun frowned as they walked down the hall. Despite the fact he was listening as attentively as possible, he couldn’t pick up the noises he’d heard in the stairwell. How could that be? He was closer now. He should be able to hear the other wolf even better.

“The doors are all locked.” Baekhyun said, testing another doorknob. “Why are there so many anyway? Does this place double as some sort of hotel?”

Sehun turned back to Baekhyun, about to reply. That’s when he saw the shadow behind the other wolf.

The next thing Sehun knew the air was being knocked out of his lungs as Baekhyun slammed into him. They both sprawled on the ground and Sehun gasped with Baekhyun’s weight on top of him.

Baekhyun groaned as he pushed himself up. “What happened-”

A figure loomed over Baekhyun, and Sehun managed to roll them out of the way just before a set of claws came down. Sehun looked over in time to see the claws shred through the floor where they’d been lying, tearing the stone like paper.

Sehun looked up at the wolf in human form, terror coursing through him as his eyes landed on Yifan.

But it wasn’t Yifan.

“Minseok.” Sehun breathed.

Minseok’s eyes flashed red and then he was on them again. Sehun and Baekhyun quickly separated, diving out of the way. Turning back around, Sehun found Minseok between himself and Baekhyun.

“What’s going on?!” Baekhyun exclaimed. “Isn’t this guy on our side?!”

Sehun half expected Minseok to say he wasn’t on anyone’s side but his own, with one of his know-it-all smirks, but the eldest pureblood remained stoic. He advanced on Baekhyun, flexing his hands and razor sharp claws.

“Yifan must be controlling him!” Sehun called out. It was the only thing that would make sense. Even if Minseok himself wanted to attack them, he wouldn’t stay silent like this. Yifan had to have released him under orders to stay silent and attack any intruders.

“What do we do?!” Baekhyun yelled, panicked as Minseok got closer.

Sehun didn’t know what they could do. If he was being ordered to attack, and not doing so of his own will, Minseok wouldn’t be able to hold back at all. He’d use his full power. Sehun didn’t think they could beat him, even together.

Baekhyun seemed to reach the same conclusion. His panic died, replaced by resolve. “Sehun, go find Yifan! I’ll distract him as long as I can, so be quick!”

“I can’t leave you here!” Sehun exclaimed, but Baekhyun just glared at him.

“You have to! You have the letter, and I can’t get to the door! Just hurry!”

Sehun glanced at the door behind him, realizing it was true. Baekhyun would never make it around Minseok, and even if they somehow managed to make it to the stairwell together Minseok would follow.

“I’ll be back!” Sehun yelled, racing for the stairwell.

Minseok swivelled, red gaze set on Sehun. Panicked, Sehun opened the door, watching Minseok over his shoulder. Just before the pureblood was about to go after him, Baekhyun leapt. He was in full wolf form now, claws extended to pierce Minseok’s back. He didn’t get the chance. Minseok reacted so fast Sehun could barely process what was happening as the pureblood whirled around and slammed Baekhyun into the wall. Sehun watched in horror as the small wolf crumpled to the ground. Sehun knew he had to run, but he was glued to the spot, staring at Baekhyun, waiting for him to get up.

Minseok’s gaze snapped back to Sehun. Baekhyun still hadn’t moved, but Sehun couldn’t wait any longer. Slamming the door behind him, Sehun ran up the stairs. If he didn’t get to Yifan before Minseok got to him, he knew it would all be over.

Sehun didn’t bother to check the other levels as he ran up. Below, he heard Minseok enter the stairwell and start to give chase. Sehun went right to the top floor. If Yifan really was in the building, he had to be there, where he’d met with Sehun the day he’d challenged him. Sehun could only hope Yifan was in the building. Otherwise he didn’t know what to do.

Reaching the top floor, Sehun was in such a rush he didn’t even check to see if it was occupied. Entering the hall, he turned and shut the door behind him, grateful for the locks which he immediately shoved into place. This floor had to be Yifan’s, if even the entrance to the stairwell had a lock.

Sehun knew the door wouldn’t hold Minseok for long, so he forced himself to calm down and focus. Blocking out the sound of Minseok approaching from below, Sehun picked up faint noises in a room at the end of the hall. Everything else was silent.

Catching his breath and every nerve he had, Sehun ran down the hall. It seemed impossibly long, now that he knew what was at the end of it, but also much too short.

Reaching the door, Sehun wasn’t surprised to find it locked. He didn’t care about subtlety anymore though, not at this point. Shoving his shoulder up against the door, Sehun pushed as hard as he could. There was a click as the lock broke.

The door swung open, revealing a large bedroom with an even larger bed at the centre. Luhan was sitting on the bed, wearing a too-big t-shirt and nothing else. He stared out the floor-to-ceiling window by the bed. It overlooked the city, and also had a clear view of the night sky.

And the moon. The blue moon.

“So you’re finally here.” Yifan said, from the corner of the room. Sehun’s gaze shot over in time to see Yifan straightening his tie, as if he’d just put it back on.

Yifan met Sehun’s gaze, his own blood red. “You’re too late.”

 

A/N: Only one more chapter left! Thank you guys so much for your comments and votes and subscriptions up until now! You guys are great and I hope you enjoy the conclusion! Also, thanks to LeaderChae for the awesome reccomendation! Here's the address:  http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/520734/1/leaderchae-s-recommendation-and-review-shop-review-exo-bap-recommendations-bts You guys should check out her other reccomendations too!

See you on Sunday!