Chapter 13

Turned

 

Sehun stared at Yifan, then Luhan. Luhan had to have known he was there, but he wouldn’t look at him.

“No.” Sehun said. “No.

“Deny it if you want,” Yifan said, “But it won’t change anything.”

“I’ll kill you!” Sehun screamed, whirling on Yifan.

The leader was untroubled, watching Sehun coolly. “That’s quite impossible now, I’m afraid. From this point on you – and every other wolf – are under my power.”

“I’d rather die.” Sehun hissed, and he meant it. Rage boiled in him, at everything Yifan had done, to him and Jongin and Junmyeon and the others. To Luhan. More than anything, Sehun couldn’t forgive what had happened to Luhan.

“You’d rather die?” Yifan echoed, with a small smile. “No need to worry, that will happen very soon. But first there’s something I’d like you to do for me.” Yifan’s gaze fell on Luhan, although he was still speaking to Sehun, “Kill him.”

Sehun’s eyes widened. “What?”

“You didn’t think I’d let him live, did you? Second to me, he is now the most powerful. Even if the gap between our strength is large, it still isn’t enough for my taste. I always intended to have him killed, after his purpose was complete. Of course I’d never kill him myself. I think it’s almost poetic, to have you do it for me.” Yifan looked at Sehun again, his red eyes boring into him. “Kill Luhan.”

Sehun tensed. Under Yifan’s powerful gaze, he felt the force of the command. He felt the implied threat should he not follow his orders. But he didn’t feel anything more than intimidation.

Sehun narrowed his gaze. “No. I’d never hurt Luhan.”

Now Luhan looked at Sehun, eyes large with surprise. Yifan seemed similarly surprised, then a little angry. His voice was clipped as he said. “That’s an order. Kill him.”

“No.” Sehun said again.

Now Yifan didn’t bother to hold back his anger. “Kill him!”

This time, the command wasn’t directed at Sehun.

“Yifan.” Luhan said, his voice desperate, “Don’t do this.”

“You haven’t given me an option, have you? The mating didn’t work, and that’s clearly because your perfect mate still exists. Since you were the one to find him, I’ll also have you remove him. The moon is still full and I intend to receive my due power tonight. Now, if you would please be quick. Kill Sehun.”

Luhan clutched the bed sheets so hard his knuckles turned white. Sehun could see he was doing all he could to fight the command.

“Sehun,” Luhan pleaded, tears pricking at his eyes, “Please run.”

“I’m not leaving again.”

Luhan let out a choked sob before launching himself off the bed. He landed on Sehun with enough force to knock them both to the ground. Luhan trembled as his hands slowly came to wrap around Sehun’s neck, just like Yifan had done days before.

“Sehun...” Luhan sobbed, even as he squeezed tighter.

“No need to cry.” Yifan said. “You’ll join him soon enough, after I have my power.”

“You won’t get that power.” Luhan said. “Even if you make me kill Sehun, you won’t get it!”

“Of course I will. There’s nothing you can do to stop me.”

“I don’t have to stop you! You think the mating didn’t work because of Sehun, but you’re wrong. Sehun isn’t my perfect mate! If he was, he wouldn’t have forgotten about me after I turned him!”

Yifan tensed the slightest bit. “You’re lying. Sehun has to be the problem.”

“You know he isn’t! I don’t have a perfect mate, Yifan, but you do.”

“No.” Yifan said, but his voice was shaky, “I don’t. Not after... No. He abandoned me.”

“That doesn’t change anything!” Luhan snapped. “If you want this to work, he’s the one you have to kill, not Sehun!”

Yifan’s expression hardened. “Even so. There’s no point in keeping Sehun alive, whether he’s your perfect mate or not. Luhan, finish him.”

Luhan couldn’t fight the command anymore. Just before the pressure was too much to bear, Sehun gasped, “I have a message from Junmyeon!”

“Luhan.” Yifan said. “Stop.”

The pressure on Sehun’s neck left. Luhan was still sitting on top of him, but now he had his hands pressed to his eyes, covering his tears.

“What is it?” Yifan asked. “What is his message?”

Sehun still felt weak, but he managed to pull the letter out of his pocket. “This is from him. He said it’s long overdo.”

Something sparked in Yifan’s eyes, a look of expectation, and Sehun knew he’d fallen for it just like Junmyeon had hoped. Yifan thought Junmyeon was finally replying to all his letters.

“Luhan.” Yifan said. “Bring that to me.”

Luhan took the letter and dragged himself to his feet. Sehun wanted to attack Yifan, for making Luhan go near him again, but all he could do was stand up and watch. The moment the letter was in Yifan’s hands, Luhan retreated, standing near Sehun but not right next to him. When Sehun tried to reach for him, Luhan shied away. Again, he was refusing to look at Sehun, face filled with shame he shouldn’t be feeling. Sehun’s gut twisted. He wished he was the one who could make Yifan pay.

Meanwhile, the leader was reading Junmyeon’s letter. The look of excitement drained from his face, replaced by shock, then anger.

“So?” Sehun asked, knowing he’d received the challenge. “Do you accept it?”

Yifan didn’t reply for a long moment. Sehun’s heart beat painfully in his chest. All he had to do was decline, and this would all be over.

“Yes.” Yifan said, his eyes sparking with red fury. “I accept.”



They met on the roof. Now that Yifan had accepted the challenge, Junmyeon was able to enter the den.

When Junmyeon arrived, Yifan watched him with a cold, emotionless gaze. Sehun knew that meant Yifan would go all out in his fight against Junmyeon, and it terrified him.

Luhan had come with them, and the others had assembled as well, at a momentary truce for the duration of the challenge. Everyone looked beaten up from fighting earlier, some with torn clothing, others with scratches and bruises.

“Where’s Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked Sehun, as soon as he saw him. “Wasn’t he with you?”

Sehun opened his mouth, then closed it. He didn’t know where Baekhyun was either. Not when Minseok still hadn’t arrived. They were the only two missing.

That was when Minseok appeared, coming up the stairs onto the roof. He wasn’t following Yifan’s commands to attack anymore, not now that the challenge was in place, but he didn’t act like his normal self. Seeing Chanyeol, all he did was avert his gaze.

Sehun waited, watching the stairs behind Minseok. No one else came up.

“I’m not surprised it’s come to this.” Yifan said, pulling off his tie. “I am surprised you have the nerve. You were always a coward.”

Junmyeon didn’t look hurt. If anything, he looked resolved. “I wasn’t the one hiding behind power, Yifan.”

Yifan’s gaze turned cold. “Don’t say my name.”

“I’m afraid you can’t make me do anything anymore.”

Yifan didn’t reply, but Sehun could see him bristle with rage. Throwing his tie to the ground, he said. “Let’s not waste more time. I have a full moon of which to take advantage.”

Junmyeon didn’t say anything, just watched as Yifan turned. Sehun hadn’t been expecting it, so seeing the shift caught him off guard. Yifan’s suit ripped away, revealing muscle and dark, glistening fur. Shaking off the miserable remnants of his clothes, Yifan straightened up and set his gaze on Junmyeon.

Junmyeon shifted too, but Sehun was still stuck staring at Yifan. Sehun hadn’t seen a larger, scarier wolf before in his life. Yifan truly did look like a monster from werewolf horror stories.

And Junmyeon was going to fight him.

Now in wolf form, Junmyeon watched as Yifan started circling him. Sehun couldn’t help noticing the size difference. Junmyeon looked like a puppy in comparison to Yifan.

Yifan didn’t circle long. Suddenly, he lunged at Junmyeon, with enough force to leave a dent in the ground. Junmyeon managed to dodge, dancing gracefully to the side. Even if he didn’t have Yifan’s strength or size, at least he had his speed.

But what good had speed done Sehun in his fight?

In seconds Yifan was lunging at Junmyeon again. This time, Junmyeon didn’t dodge fast enough and ended up being knocked off balance. Junmyeon scrambled to his feet but Yifan was already there, ripping into his flank with his super sharp claws. Junmyeon howled in pain and Sehun tensed. He wasn’t the only one. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Jongdae had balled his hands into fists, and all the blood had drained from his face.

Junmyeon managed to get away from Yifan and back up, gaining some ground to recover from the attack. His wound was still bleeding, but not too badly. It didn’t seem deep.

Still, it slowed Junmyeon down a bit, and speed wasn’t something he could afford to lose. Seeming to realize this, Junmyeon changed tactics. Instead of running when Yifan charged him again, he ducked away at the last second. Still close to Yifan, Junmyeon whirled around and bit into Yifan’s hide. Yifan growled, more in annoyance than pain, and shook Junmyeon off.

Junmyeon backed away from Yifan as quickly as he could, but they were near the corner of the roof. When Junmyeon tried to dodge around Yifan, the bigger wolf blocked him. Junmyeon growled to himself, backing up until he reached the edge of the roof. Yifan continued to advance, slow, purposeful, knowing Junmyeon had no where to go.

Sehun clenched and unclenched his hands, heart racing in panic. At this rate, Yifan would force Junmyeon right off the building. That wasn’t a fall any of them could survive.

Junmyeon growled at Yifan, baring his fangs, but Yifan was undaunted. He lunged towards Junmyeon, who instinctively jerked back. Junmyeon yelped as one of his back paws slipped off the roof. He quickly regained his balance, but it was no use. Yifan was so close all it would take was a nudge and Junmyeon would fall.

That’s when a slim, dark wolf ran forward, leaping onto Yifan’s back. The wolf’s claws dug into Yifan’s hide and he howled, backing away from Junmyeon as he tried to dislodge the wolf. It clung tight to him until there was enough room for Junmyeon to get away from the edge. Just as Junmyeon scampered to safety, Yifan bucked off the new wolf, sending it sliding across the roof.

Before it could get up, Yifan was looming over it. The wolf had no way to escape, but instead of panicking it stared at Yifan with narrowed red eyes. Yifan didn’t hesitate. He clamped his jaws around the wolf’s neck and ripped it open.

The wolf let out a strangled howl, then went limb. Blood oozed from its neck and dripped from Yifan’s jaw as he backed away from the body. After a moment the wolf changed form, into a human curled up on the ground, trying to take shuddering breaths despite its mangled neck. It was such a horrible sight, Sehun had to force himself not to look away.

Junmyeon ran to the body, shifting into human form the instant he arrived. His eyes were wide with shock and horror as he stared at the bloody mess of Jongdae’s throat.

“No.” Junmyeon whispered. “No, no, no...”

He was kneeling beside Jongdae now, cradling his head and back his hair. “You’re going to be ok. It’s going to be ok. I’m here.”

“I know.” Jongdae whispered. “That’s all I wanted.”

Tears brimmed in Junmyeon’s eyes. “Why would you do that? Why save me after everything I’ve done? It’s my fault you’re here.”

Jongdae tried to speak, but ended up coughing. Blood sprayed from his mouth and Junmyeon let out a sound between a gasp and a sob.

“I don’t... I don’t blame you.” Jongdae said. “If anything... I’m happy this happened to me. All I wanted, was to be a part of your life. I’m glad... that you turned me... so we could be together... at least for awhile.”

“Jongdae.” Junmyeon choked out.

“I love you, Jummyeon.” Jongdae said with a sad smile, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you... sooner.”

Jongdae reached up, towards Junmyeon’s face, but then his eyes fluttered and his hand fell short. Junmyeon caught his hand and pressed it against his own cheek, sobbing as Jongdae’s red eyes faded to their natural colour, staring right past Junmyeon at the moon beyond.

“Jongdae.” Junmyeon whispered, saying the name over and over as tears slipped down his cheeks, falling over Jongdae’s limp hand which he still clutched.

Sehun, like the others, watched the scene in horror. Even Yifan was staring at them without attacking, still in wolf form a few steps away.

Finally, Junmyeon laid down Jongdae’s hand and reached over to gently close his eyes. When that was done, Junmyeon ran his hands over his own eyes, wiping away his tears.

Turning around, Junmyeon’s gaze immediately fell on Yifan. When he spoke, his voice was so cold it sent shivers up Sehun’s spine. “I can’t forgive you for this.”

Yifan was still staring at him, and if Sehun hadn’t known better he would have thought Yifan was in shock.

The next thing Sehun knew Junmyeon was in wolf form again, barrelling towards Yifan. Yifan seemed caught off guard, but still managed to jerk away in time. Junmyeon didn’t let up, snapping his teeth and claws at Yifan. Sehun was surprised to see Yifan backing away from the vicious attack, instead of reciprocating.

Now it was Yifan’s turn to be backed up against the edge of the roof. Sehun knew that unlike Junmyeon, he’d be able to use force to push his attacker back and escape. But then Junmyeon crouched and Sehun realized what was going to happen.

Junmyeon was going to tackle Yifan, sending them both over the edge.

Yifan seemed to realize this, but too late. He could either let Junmyeon hit him and send them both over the edge, or he could use his strength and hold his ground. If he did that, Junmyeon’s open mouth would latch around his neck. Either way, he couldn’t escape.

But then Sehun realized, he could. Junmyeon had been too hasty. All Yifan had to do was duck under him, and Junmyeon would sail right off the edge of the roof on his own.

Sehun wanted to call out to Junmyeon to stop, but it was too late. He’d already launched himself at Yifan. It was all Sehun could do not to look away as Junmyeon leaped towards his death, and Yifan escaped.

But Yifan didn’t escape.

The bigger wolf held his ground, and Junmyeon’s teeth clamped down on his neck. Blood spurted from the wound and Yifan let out a low growl. Junmyeon dug in harder.

When Junmyeon finally pulled back, his muzzle was full of blood. Yifan had turned into a human, panting heavily as he pressed a hand to the teeth marks branding his neck. They reminded Sehun of his own bite mark, on his shoulder. But deeper. And bleeding much more than Sehun’s bite ever had.

Yifan stared at Junmyeon as he panted, and for the first time ever Sehun so his eyes go dark.

Junmyeon stayed as a wolf only a moment longer, then he was human again. His eyes were still glassy from his tears over Jongdae. “Why didn’t you move out of the way?”

Yifan was quiet a moment, still clutching his wound. “That would have killed you.”

Now the sadness in Junmyeon’s expression was unbearable. He dropped to the ground next to Yifan. “But you want me dead. You hate me.”

“I hate you.” Yifan agreed. “But, more than that... I could never let you die. Everything I’ve done – all of this, trying to gain the ultimate power – was so we could be together again. But the only way for me to get that power is if I let you die.”

Yifan laughed, but it was a brittle, broken sound. “It’s funny, isn’t it? The one thing I really want is the one thing I have to sacrifice to gain everything else.”

Yifan looked at Junmyeon now, holding his gaze as blood flowed from his neck. “I always thought that if I had more power we could be together, but now I understand. It was that power that made me lose you in the first place.”

“Yifan.” Junmyeon said, his voice breaking.

“I know... you can never forgive me.” Yifan said, and for a brief moment his gaze landed on Jongdae’s corpse. Then he closed his eyes, taking a shuddering breath. “But I’m sorry, Junmyeon. I’m sorry for everything.”

Yifan didn’t open his eyes again, and no more shuddering breaths came. After a moment, Junmyeon gasped. He grabbed Yifan’s limp hands, clutching them tightly. “I forgive you! I forgive you, Yifan! Can you hear me?” Tears streamed down Junmyeon’s face, faster and heavier than before, “I forgive you!”

But Yifan was already gone.



Sehun couldn’t believe that is was over. That it was all – finally – over.

They were on the fourth floor of the den. Their den, now that Junmyeon was the leader of both packs. They were in a room Luhan had led them to with medical supplies. There was a hush over the room, as they helped each other bandage their wounds. Kyungsoo was tending to Junmyeon, but their leader had withdrawn into himself. He wouldn’t speak to or look at anyone.

Sehun was sitting on the large table in the middle of the room, since the chairs were all taken. After Luhan had done what he could to patch up the others, he sat next to Sehun. He was there a moment before leaning his head on Sehun’s shoulder. Despite everything that had happened, Sehun found himself comforted by Luhan’s presence.

Chanyeol sat in the corner of the room, staring at the floor with a blank gaze. After going to look for Minseok earlier and being unable to find him, he’d ended up helping the others distract Yixing and Zitao. Chanyeol had a gash on his arm to prove it. Kyungsoo and Luhan had both tried to convince him to let them bind the wound, but Chanyeol kept saying he’d do it himself. He still hadn’t.

On the other side of the room, Minseok was also off to himself. More than once, he glanced Chanyeol’s way. Sehun was sure Chanyeol knew Minseok was looking at him, but he never once made eye contact.

Luhan had helped Yixing and Zitao with their wounds. They sat a bit away from the group, looking lost now that their leader had been replaced. They hadn’t made any hostile moves yet, but Sehun still found himself watching them.

“I can’t believe it’s over.” Jongin whispered, echoing Sehun’s own words as he sat beside his friend. Jongin was wearing the shirt he’d ripped during his earlier transformation, and through the rip Sehun could see he’d had a stomach wound bandaged.

“I feel like... I don’t know.” Jongin shrugged. “Like I should be relieved or something. But I’m not. I just feel kind of empty.”

“Me too.” Sehun said. He still couldn’t believe the price to stopping Yifan had been so high. Even Yifan’s own death managed to depress Sehun, after what the leader had said and done in his final moments. He could have won and let Junmyeon die, but he’d chosen to die instead.

“I’ve been thinking.” Junmyeon suddenly said, in a clear voice that carried through the room. Sehun glanced over to see Kyungsoo had finished tending to him. “There’s something all of you should know, before we decide on what to do next.”

Every eye in the room was on Junmyeon, but he didn’t return anyone’s gaze as he spoke. His eyes were still hooded. “Most of you were turned by one of us. We disrupted, even destroyed your human lives without your consent. That has been the problem with our kind. We do that to gain more power, without thinking of the people we turn. But we can’t live like that anymore. The truth is, there’s a way for those of you who were human to become human again.”

Sehun caught his breath, and beside him he felt Jongin tense.

“It’s a secret among pureblood leaders, one that... one that Yifan himself told me a long time ago, before all of this. The leader of a pack has the power to remove the wolf curse from a human, but in doing so they deplete their own power and the power of the wolf who turned that human. The reason this has been kept secret is because the purebloods didn’t want to lose even a bit of their power.”

“Then why didn’t you turn us back before?” Chanyeol asked, his voice surprisingly hollow. “You were our leader, weren’t you?”

Sehun knew Chanyeol was thinking about Baekhyun when he asked this, wondering if there had somehow been a way to give his friend back his human life when there was still time.

“I wasn’t the true leader.” Junmyeon explained. “There’s only one real pack; this one. I didn’t have the power to change any of you back before. If I had, I would have used it, I swear. But now that I have this power I’m giving you the choice. If any of you want me to remove the curse, I will.”

Sehun felt Luhan raise his head off his shoulder. Glancing over, Sehun found Luhan’s eyes glued on Junmyeon.

“Is it really that simple?” Luhan asked. “You can just make them human again?”

Junmyeon hesitated, then said. “There’s a catch. They won’t remember their time as a wolf. They’ll forget it all.”

The room was silent.

Junmyeon pushed himself out of his chair. “I’m not changing anyone back tonight. You all need to take time to think it through. Whatever your decisions, I will respect them.”



None of them wanted to stay in the den, but there wasn’t much choice at that point. They agreed to stay the night until everyone was rested. The next day, they’d decide on what to do with the newly merged pack.

Like the others, Sehun was given a bedroom to use on the third floor. It wasn’t very fancy, but at that point he didn’t care. He was just too worn out, emotionally and physically.

Sehun went over to the window to close the blinds. He paused, staring up at the full moon. He couldn’t believe everything had happened so quickly and it wasn’t even morning yet. It felt like years had passed since they first entered the den.

There was a light knock on his door. Leaving the blinds open, Sehun went over and opened it, already knowing it was Luhan.

“Can I come in?” The wolf asked quietly.

Sehun didn’t speak or even nod, just stepped out of the way so Luhan could enter. Closing the door behind him, Sehun turned to find Luhan sitting on his bed, staring at the window and the moon beyond.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Luhan said. “Don’t you feel drawn to it? Even more so than the regular full moon?”

“Yeah.” Sehun went over to sit next to Luhan. “It’s kind of like you.”

Luhan looked at him, surprised, “Me?”

Sehun blushed. “Just... the way you described it, beautiful and being drawn to it... that’s how I feel about you.”

Now Luhan blushed, even harder than Sehun. Looking away, he said in a flustered tone. “You’re only drawn to me because I turned you.”

“I was drawn to you before you turned me.”

Luhan turned to look at Sehun then, but Sehun was already leaning down. He silenced whatever Luhan was about to say with his lips. Luhan melted into him immediately.

Just as Sehun started to ease Luhan back, to lie on the bed, Luhan broke the kiss. “Before we... I need to ask you something before we do this.”

Sehun pulled back, with a puzzled look. “What do you want to ask me?”

Luhan didn’t reply right away. He nibbled his bottom lip, and even though he looked really troubled Sehun couldn’t help finding the action cute. He also couldn’t help reaching up and running his thumb across Luhan’s bottom lip. Luhan made a startled sound and pushed Sehun’s hand away.

“Don’t do that.” Luhan whined. “This is serious.”

“What is?” Sehun asked, frowning now. After everything that had happened, Sehun just wanted to lose himself in Luhan. And he couldn’t help thinking Luhan felt the same way. So why did he want to talk about something serious now?

“Are you going to let Junmyeon change you back?” Luhan blurted, reddening even more when the words were out of his mouth.

Sehun stared at Luhan in surprise, then drew away from him. So that was what Luhan wanted to talk about.

“I’m not telling you what I think you should do.” Luhan quickly added. “It’s your choice. Like Junmyeon, I’ll go along with whatever you decide. I just want to know.”

Sehun could understand that. But he also didn’t know what to say. He himself had barely given it any thought. The fact he could go back to being a human was surprising enough. He needed to wrap his head around it before he decided anything.

“I don’t know.” Sehun finally said. “I wish I could tell you, Luhan, but I just don’t know. Not yet.”

Luhan didn’t say anything for a moment, but when he did his voice was quiet. “Yeah, of course. Sorry for pushing you.”

Luhan got up and took a step towards the door, but Sehun grabbed his arm. “You aren’t pushing me. As soon as I’ve thought about it, I’ll talk to you. But right now... I just don’t want to think about anything.”

Luhan looked down at Sehun’s hand on his arm, then covered it with his own. “I don’t really want to think about anything either.”

“Then let’s not think.” Sehun said, before pulling Luhan towards him. This time, Luhan didn’t resist at all, not Sehun’s kiss and not when he started to lower him onto the bed.

Hovering over Luhan, Sehun couldn’t help thinking how beautiful he was under the light of the blue moon. Even more beautiful than usual.

Luhan reached up, brushing back Sehun’s hair with a dreamy look in his eyes. “You’re beautiful, you know.”

“You’ve told me that before, and I still think I’m the one who should be saying it to you.”

Luhan smiled a little, then whispered, “I don’t want to think, and I don’t want to talk either, okay?”

Sehun felt the same way. He smiled to himself as Luhan pulled him back down.



They all agreed that even though it wasn’t possible to have the others buried in a real cemetery, they deserved some sort of funeral.

The whole pack went into the country, to an area where Junmyeon explained purebloods had been burying their kind for ages. It was sort of like the wolf equivalent of a graveyard, he said, and it was a great honour to be buried there.

They dug three plots. Yixing and Zitao carried Yifan’s body, while Junmyeon and Kyungsoo took care of Jongdae’s.

“Sehun.” Chanyeol said, coming up behind him as he watched the others work. “Will you help me?”

Sehun turned to Chanyeol. The look in his eyes, so empty and hopeless, rendered Sehun speechless. He could only nod. Of course he’d help.

Baekhyun was very light. Chanyeol probably could have carried him on his own, but Sehun understood he needed his support in another way. After they’d lowered him into the ground, they started filling in the grave. Chanyeol didn’t speak as they worked. He didn’t cry either, but Sehun thought the silence was almost worse than if he’d been crying. Chanyeol was keeping everything inside, and it was obviously hurting him.

Junmyeon was crying. Silently, though. Sehun wouldn’t have known if he hadn’t seen Kyungsoo offer him a tissue. Junmyeon waved him off, simply wiping his eyes with his hand. Sehun didn’t know who, specifically, these tears of Junmyeon’s were for. Probably all of them. He’d known them all, cared about them all, and been unable to save them.

Sehun felt his own swell of regret. If only he’d stayed and fought Minseok with Baekhyun. They might not have had a good chance, but it would have been more of a chance. Maybe they could have escaped together.

Minseok himself was standing as far from Baekhyun’s grave as possible. As far as Sehun knew, he and Chanyeol hadn’t spoken at all. In the past couple of days, staying as far away from each other as possible. Sehun initially thought that was Chanyeol’s doing, but he eventually realized Minseok was avoiding him as well, both to give Chanyeol space and because he was ashamed.

They were done filling in Baekhyun’s grave, but Chanyeol didn’t move away. He stood there, staring down at the earth covering his friend.

“I know I keep saying he’s not at fault.” Chanyeol whispered, so low Sehun could barely hear him, even with his senses. “I know Yifan made him do this. I know he tried to fight it, and that he never would have... he never would have done this otherwise. I know all that, but I don’t think I can forgive him.” Chanyeol looked at Sehun now, tears finally b at the corners of his eyes. “Sehun, I don’t think I can forgive him for this.”

Sehun could only nod, and squeeze Chanyeol’s arm in support. He couldn’t imagine how Chanyeol was feeling. Not only had he lost Baekhyun, his best friend, but Minseok, who he seemed to care about as far more than a friend. Yifan’s actions had taken everything from Chanyeol.

Despite this, Sehun still couldn’t bring himself to hate Yifan like he had before. Not when Junmyeon stood at the foot of his grave, sobbing his heart out.

“I’m going into the woods for a bit.” Chanyeol finally whispered, stepping away from Sehun.

“Want me to come with you?”

Chanyeol shook his head. “I need to be alone.”

Sehun watched Chanyeol disappear into the trees. After a moment, he felt someone’s hand slide into his. Glancing over, Sehun wasn’t surprised to see Luhan. Luhan didn’t say anything, just squeezed his hand, showing him the same support he’d tried to show Chanyeol moments before.

That was when Sehun realized he’d started to cry too. Looking away from Luhan to try and hide the tears he’d obviously already seen, Sehun mumbled. “He was sort of my friend too.”

“I understand.” Luhan said, his own voice wavering. “Jongdae... he was a part of my pack for so long. And even Yifan. We grew up together. Before he became the leader, he was my friend.” Luhan caught his breath. “We all lost someone.”

It was true. Looking around, Sehun could easily see that everyone was upset. Everyone was broken.

Sehun had only wanted to save Luhan. That was all he’d wanted. He’d been prepared to do anything. Even die. But he hadn’t been prepared for this.

Luhan was safe, and so was he. They were both alive. So why did he still feel so empty? Why did he wish that he could go back and do everything over?

“Sehun.”

Sehun turned to see Junmyeon coming over. He wasn’t crying anymore, but if possible he looked worse. His eyes were lifeless. “I’ve talked to the others already. You’re the last one.”

“What do you mean?” Sehun asked.

Instead of replying, Junmyeon turned to Luhan, “May I have a moment alone with Sehun?”

Luhan didn’t say anything, but his hold on Sehun’s hand tightened.

“Luhan,” Junmyeon’s voice took on a soft, sympathetic note. “It will be easier for him this way.”

Luhan’s lips trembled as he looked from Junmyeon to Sehun. Finally, he released Sehun’s hand.

“Do what’s right for you.” Luhan said to him. “I’ll understand.”

Despite saying this, Luhan wouldn’t look at Sehun as he spoke. When he finished, Luhan whirled away and hurried off, as if he was running from something.

“Sehun,” Junmyeon said, and Sehun had to force himself to drag his eyes off Luhan’s suddenly vulnerable looking form. “I need your decision. Do you want me to turn you back into a human?”

Sehun froze. He’d had a feeling that was what Junmyeon wanted to talk about, but a part of him had hoped it wasn’t. He still wanted to put it off, because he knew when he finally made his decision there would be no going back.


“What do you want to do?” Junmyeon asked Sehun again, and this time he sounded like the caring, supportive leader he used to be, instead of the broken one he was now. “Whatever you decide, Luhan will understand. Everyone will. You have to do what’s best for you. It’s your life. You never chose to be pulled into all this. Now it’s your choice.”

“Why?” Sehun asked, and his voice broke, “Why is it my choice now? Why couldn’t it have been my choice before, when it was easy?”

“I don’t know.” Junmyeon said, gaze filled with sympathy. “I wish I had an answer for you, a way to make this easy. But all I have is the power to let you choose now.”

Sehun took a breath, running a hand through his hair. Suddenly it all felt like too much. The betrayal and sadness and death he’d faced over the past month. His life had changed completely – he had changed completely. He wasn’t the sheltered, naive recluse he used to be. But even if he had been naive, and hadn’t had many friends, he’d had a plan. He’d had a life with which he could do whatever he wanted.

But he didn’t have Luhan. And if he went back to his old life, he wouldn’t get to have Luhan. He’d never see him again.

How could he make that choice, between Luhan and a human life where he could forget all the pain?

“I...” Sehun blinked back tears. “I don’t think I’m strong enough.”

Junmyeon didn’t ask what he meant, and Sehun was thankful for that.

Meeting Junmyeon’s dull red eyes, Sehun said: “Make me human again.”

 

A/N: Hey guys. Sooooo before anyone who feels inclined to freak out starts doing so, I want you to know there's an epilogue. I'll be posting it later this week. Thanks for reading this far, and I hope you all stay with me for one more post!