Chapter 7

❝ memoriae

After she drove Soojung to school, Jessica decided to stop by a cafe right in the heart of the city. It’s been a while since she’s been there and she missed her friends that worked there. Before she used to visit on Mondays. But she didn't go there anymore after she broke up with her ex. It brought back so many memories she did not want to relive them.

 

The traffic flow was slow and thick. Buses, cars, taxi taking part in the morning rush hour. Pedestrians pushed through the throng of people with coffee in their hands or busily talking with someone using their phones. It was always crowded around this hour and as much as she hated it when she was still working her cafe waitressing job, she missed being part of all of this morning noise and movement. Usually she worked late shifts at the call center.

 

Her job at the call center was boring and although she talked to different people every day, she felt as if she was doing the same routine. PIcking up the phone, often times answering the same questions then ending it. It made her so tired sometimes to the point that she honestly wants to quit but couldn't afford to. No well paying job would accept a high school graduate.

 

Sooyeon stretched for a bit as the red light continued to blink. Maybe, just maybe, she’ll finish her college degree and get a decent job once Soojung finishes hers. When their parents died, the Jung sisters were left with a measly amount of money barely able to last a year. The rest were used to pay debts and for her parent's funeral. She had to think of Soojung’s education first before hers so she quit university and applied for different kinds of jobs so they could get by.

 

The light turned green and she drove off, anticipating her arrival at her destination. Occasionally, she would visit a certain café that always made her smile. The people there knew her so well and the atmosphere was so soothing and welcoming. She needed that kind of good aura right now to get her mind off of things.

 

In a few minutes, she arrived in front of a small building with an open space with round tables and chairs used for the summer.

 

She walked up a flight of stairs and the doors opened, the scent of coffee and tea welcoming her.

 

“Sooyeon ah!”

 

Sooyeon opened her eyes and gave one of her good friends, Hyoyeon, a smile. As always, the blonde waved at her energetically. She held up a hand and asked her to wait and she nodded, smiling. The other was busy taking orders, she decided to take a seat at her usual spot beside the window.

 

After a few minutes, Miyoung approached her at her table, taking her order. Miyoung was Sooyeon's best friend from high school. But due to a couple of events that took place, they barely spoke. It made her happy to see the girl and they talked for a little. It's been ten minutes since she entered the cafe but she was already feeling so light and happy. 

 

“I didn’t believe it at first when I saw the car outside the cafe.”

 

She freezed on the spot. Miyoung did so as well and she was given an apologetic smile before she slipped away. Probably to avoid what was to come. The familiar voice washed over her and made so many memories resurface. She didn’t speak as a hand squeezed her shoulder and the empty seat in front of her was occupied by a raven-haired beauty she once loved.

 

The girl smiled at her though it didn't reach her eyes. She remembered kissing those eyes while they were shut close, holding her hand while they took their midnight strolls and caressing her beautiful face. The sight of her made her heart throb in pain.

 

Five years passed like a blur. Yet Sooyeon still felt the same about her.

 

“Bring me an espresso, Tiff,” Taeyeon said.

 

Miyoung stopped in her tracks and looked at the both of them in confusion. Sooyeon felt sorry for her. Once again she was n the middle of her and Taeyeon's arguments. But she nodded silently, her eyes lingering a bit on Sooyeon’s, mouthing an apology. She could only give the other girl a small smile before she walked away with their orders. Somehow, her friend was always stuck in the middle of this. She was the person both girls went to whenever they had a disagreement but she chose not to take that role today. She knew that the two needed to be left alone.

 

Sooyeon’s eyes bore into the other's, yet her expression remained blank. To let the other know that she was affected by their meeting right now would mean that Taeyeon would win. And she didn’t want her to win. She didn't want her to know that she felt as if she was back five years ago, heartbroken and pleading for the other’s forgiveness somehow.

 

“I heard you quit university. It must be hard supporting Soojung alone while working at mere a call center.” Taeyeon paused, arching a perfectly penciled inbrow. 

 

She despised her tone, the way her eyes seemed to stick needles against her skin. The way she said call center sounded as if she was disgusted The urge to look away was strong but she resisted, her hands unconsciously curling into fists. I was the one who made her this way. This was karma. “Yes, it is. But I can handle it."

 

A laugh slips past Taeyeon’s cherry red lips followed by a shake of her head. “Oh really?” Sooyeon watched as her first love rested her hands on top of the table and leaned closer. “That's too bad. And here I thought that the guy you gave a to years ago was lending you a hand. You were so good in helping him that he should at least return the favor, you know.” Her tone was light  -- amused -- but only Sooyeon could hear the underlying bitterness and hatred in her voice.

 

Sooyeon slammed her hands against the table and stood up abruptly. "Enough." She didn’t want to listen to this all over again. She didn’t look at Taeyeon and only at the wooden floor. Even if she wanted to defend herself like she did before, she knew that the other wouldn’t listen. So she slungs her purse on her shoulder and was about to walk away when she was stopped by Taeyeon's had on her wrist.

 

“Let me go,” she managed to say.

 

Taeyeon looked at her, pouting.  “But I missed you so much, babe.”

 

"There's nothing to miss," Sooyeon said, tilting her head up to meet Taeyeon's intense gaze. "I ended things for a reason."

 

Taeyeon's eyes widened and her grip on Sooyeon's wrist loosened. She took this opportunity to leave. Taeyeon didn't follow her.

 

Why did it hurt every time I choose to walk away from you, Kim Taeyeon?

 

On her way out, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung gave her worried looks but says nothing. They know that this is the way it will turn out every single time.

 

She shouldn’t have visited today.

 

--

 

All I could do was stare out the window. The excitement of starting university died earlier because of my argument with my sister. It's not like there was something to be excited about other than actually learning something. I watched earlier as my classmates separated into groups and socialized amongst themselves. No one tried to speak to me and I was glad. I was in a foul mood and I honestly dd not want to make any enemies on my first day.

 

But for some reason, I felt alone. I saw some people from my high school earlier in the hallways but they were Amber’s fangirls. That said so much about how they treated me. To this day, they still held a grudge against me for 'seducing' their precious oppa. They did not fail to give me ugly looks and whispered amongst themselves my well known nickname from high school. 

 

I sighed. Class had barely started yet I felt as if I will barely last through this.

 

“Is this seat taken?”

 

I looked up, meeting the eyes of a boy I did not know. What a surprise. His hair styled fashionably, full lips unmoving and eyes looking like deep caves you can get lost in. And not in a good way. It took me a second or two to reply, shaking my head before I turned my head to look at the very interesting view of my campus outside the window. I wondered if it was sunny...cloudy or raining where Amber was. It was ten in the evening there. She probably went to sleep early. I was about to check my phone to see if she messaged me but the bell rang already.

 

I sighed as the teacher's voice boomed from where he was standing in front of the whiteboard. I turned away from the window and shifted my attetion to my teacher. Maybe it was just me but I felt such a dark aura coming from my newest seatmate. But I tried not to mind his business and he ignored me as well throughout the whole class.

 

Once recess took place, I took the time to send Amber messages through KakaoTalk.

 

Ddungie

My new seatmate is so shady ><" He might be a psycho. Save me ㅠㅠ 08:30 AM 1

 

I tapped the corners of my phone as I waited for her answer, not even touching my food. Maybe she's just busy, I thought. It's late there, after all. As the minutes ticked by and the crowd in the cafeteria thinned, I tried to convince myself this. I repeated it to myself again and again but once the bell rang, signalling that I should get going to my next class...I stopped. I walked to class, feeling sick seeing a couple in the hallway. The guy watched as his girlfriend entered her classroom and went off to his own class. That was me and Amber before.

 

I stopped in my tracks and looked down at my phone, staring at my message and hit the delete button, walking to my next class.

___________________________________________________________________

A/N: I know I made you guys wait so long for this update. But so much things have piled up lately. Hope you guys liked this update, though! Thanks so much for subscribing and loving this fic!