Chapter 4

The Single Cold Breeze

 

" I remeber that day very well, the sun was shining brightly, it's gold rays was crossing through the sky hitting our faces as we were playing in the playground. Running through the park with our loud laugh. Back then we were kids, and we care about nothing but the games we play.."

 

Bomi closed the book she was reading. It was her third book for the day, yet, it end up like the other. She didn’t find it interesting. Not that she hate reading, but it’s not one of her favorite things to do neither.

Bomi stood up and walked to place the book back on its place. Sighing, she is alone today, the owner is out of the town for a couple of day for some business he had told her.

She looked through the shop’s glass and decided to have some fresh air. Bomi walked to the door, pushing it open. Immediately, the winter’s breeze hit her face lightly and she smiled in delight. The slightly coldness of the air giving her a refreshing feeling, after spending the whole morning inside the book store.

Standing outside, Bomi crossed her arms in front of her chest as she looked through the street that is now full of people. It’s a break hours, that’s why it’s crowded at this time of the day. Bomi kept her eyes wondering around the street, seeing how people are mingling with each other. Happily talking and chatting as they met up with their friends. Friends? She never had one, not after the accident. She had distance herself from the people. And she wonder how her like would be if she have a friend, if the accident didn’t happened, if her parent and little brother didn’t die. !!

 

Sighing and with a last glance, Bomi walked back to the store. She start looking through the book shelf with her hand crossed behind her back. A habit she learned from the old man.

As her eyes are scanning the book’s title, she wondered why she never get to look at these books before. Each book is as thick as dictionary with an odd and puzzling title. Suddenly, she felt a cold breeze passing her, and she looked immediately at the doorway. *Did I forgot it open?*. She shrugged the thought thinking that it’s not bad to have some fresh air coming to the store.

She continued her scanning through the shelf until her eyes caught a book, maroon red leather cover with a golden litter on it. Bomi grabbed the book from the shelf and dusted the cover a little before opening it. She went through its pages quickly, reading a few lines from it. * An old fantasy* she assumed. As she continue flipping the pages, a small white paper with a faded brown color on the edge fell down to the ground, grabbing her attention. So, she bent down to pick it. Once she stood up straight, she took a look at the paper. Examining it. The side she was holding was blank white so she turned the paper to the other side. There was a litter written on black ink with some small shapes. And she knotted her eyebrows on confusion.

 

“Excuse me….”   A voice startled her, made her jumping a little with her hand on her chest. She turned her head to the side to see a man standing before her, and when she looked closely, her eyes widened a little….

 

“it’s you”

“it’s you”

They both say in unison.

 

The man chuckled a little, “Sorry if I had startled you just now”

Bomi shook her head a little at him “No, ..i-it’s okay”

There was a silence between them, non of them know what to say..

“So, ..we met again!!” Bomi nodded to him lightly.

“mm, let me introduce myself properly. My name is Lee Howon “ and he extanded his hand for her to shook with a small smile plastered on his face.

“…B-Bomi…Yoon Bomi..” and she took his hand and shake it lightly.

And he can feel something warm building already inside him by touching her hand only. Soft and warm, much to his like.

“mmm…..that day…..about your umbrella…..I’m sorry…” Bomi didn’t know why her tongue couldn’t form the word in a right way. And Hoya, who knew what she meant, notice her stuttering. So he quickly shook his head “No, It’s fine. No need to apologize, really” And she smiled a little to him.

Again, there is an awkward silence between them. And Hoya was eager to hear her voice, so he starts a conversation again with her. The desire to hear her voice was building inside him.

“So, you’re new here?” Bomi nodded. And he shifted a little on his feet before speaking up again.

“I can show you around..” He trailed off when he saw her blank yet surprised expression but continued anyway. “If you want”.

Hoya bites his lips, his eyes never leaving her. Attentively waiting for her reply with so much hope to not reject him.

 

Bomi was hesitant for a moment. Her mind was wondering to why a man like him would offer to show her around the town. He must be a busy man, why to bother him and waste his time. But to look at his eyes, she can feel the sincerity floating out of them. His eyes? Something about them is pulling her. Almost captivated by them. His eyes is warm and tender but there is some coldness that linger on them. Hiding deep. To look at those dark orbs, his eyes is trying to say something but she can’t tell what it is.