Chapter 5

Inked
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Half proofread. Sorry, I have a headache. :C

 

 

He looks up blearily at the puffs of white clouds scattered over the bright blue canvass of the sky. The branches looming over him block away the scorching sun, keeping him within the safe confines of its shadows as the dull, static hum of the cicadas and the slight humidity in the air make his eyelids droop.

He shifts on his seat, leaning his back against the rough bark of the tree as he tries to form coherent thoughts. Nothing makes sense in his mind, and soon enough, he feels his head abruptly dropping forward, only to snap back upwards when he jolts out of his sleepy daze. Blinking hazily, he allows a yawn to escape his lips.

A chuckle sounds from his left, and a warm hand comes to touch the side of his head, gently guiding it down to rest on a lean shoulder.

“Sleep.”

Smiling, he closes his eyes and snuggles even further into the familiar crook between the neck and the shoulder, uncaring of how the body heat would make their skin sticky with sweat afterwards. Soon, he falls into a deep slumber.

He misses the tender gaze and the soft smile.

“Sweet dreams, Hyukjae.”

 

 

It’s a little awkward.

When he enters Hyukjae’s house once again after over three years, despite his supposedly uncaring demeanor, he finds himself looking around in curiosity, his eyes sweeping over the familiar walls and furniture and noting the small changes that occurred.

Hyukjae is eyeing him with a small smile, leading him towards the living room which looks the same – high ceilings with modern-looking lighting fixtures, various paintings hanging from the wall, a huge cream-colored couch with lime green throw pillows, a wide coffee table with an intricately designed carpet underneath, a widescreen television attached to the brick walls with multiple players and game consoles neatly arranged below, and a shelf filled with movies, games and various magazines standing next to it.

It’s still as big and extravagant as Donghae remembers. He shifts a little on his feet, an image of his much smaller home flitting to the back of his mind, and he has to bite his lip to stop himself from scowling.

It isn’t so much that he is jealous.

After all, they were best friends for years and not once did he feel an ounce of envy towards Hyukjae’s evident affluent way of living. Sure, he wanted to have some of those newer game consoles, because his family could only afford one – and it’s a second-hand unit at that – while Hyukjae can buy pretty much everything the moment they get released in the market. But it’s not like Donghae harbored ill feelings towards his friend because of it.

What ticks him off, however, is the fact that with this much money, Hyukjae hardly needed that scholarship at all. Had they been in the same social class, Donghae would’ve understood the betrayal. Hyukjae could have needed it because his family could not afford sending him to that prestigious high school. But it was far from the case, obviously.

Hyukjae’s family had always been rich. He never needed any scholarship – they could afford pretty much everything.

And yet, for the sole reason of wanting to show Donghae that he’s better (which he totally isn’t, because Donghae still tops more classes than he could ever hope to do so, and he only won that stupid essay contest because he happened to be better with words and sentences compared to Donghae, not that the blond would admit that out loud), Hyukjae went and got it for himself, effectively ruining the younger’s trust and their friendship.

And Donghae hates him so much for it.

He sighs inaudibly when Hyukjae tells him to take a seat on the couch and make himself comfortable before heading off towards the kitchen in order to get them some drinks. He doesn’t really want to start an argument, especially when it would involve bringing up things from the past. He couldn’t help but feel mildly upset anyway, just at the mere sight of every single thing Hyukjae’s family owns.

Pressing his fingers on his temples, Donghae closes his eyes and exhales deeply. He reminds himself that he’s here only to work on the project, that there’s no need to get all riled up when Hyukjae isn’t even doing anything to purposely annoy him.

Plus, starting a fight when he’s in Hyukjae’s property doesn’t sound good at all.

He opens his eyes and they flit towards the doorway leading to the kitchen, where Hyukjae appears carrying a single tray with two glasses of orange juice. He places the drinks in front of Donghae on the coffee table before taking a seat next to him, making sure to leave an appropriate distance between the two of them.

“I… forgot to ask you what you wanted to drink so…” the redhead trails off, his eyes darting about and avoiding Donghae’s gaze. “Just tell me if you don’t like it. I can get you something else if you want.”

Donghae snorts before he takes the glass and sips on it. “I’m not very choosy with drinks, thank you,” he places it back on the table. “Though I was expecting a maid or something to do this instead.”

“Oh, that,” Hyukjae smiles sheepishly, bringing a hand to scratch at his nape. “I kinda sent them away some time ago. Wanted to experience independence or some like that. Though occasionally, mom sends someone to check on me and clean in case I’m too busy to do it.”

“Independence, huh?” Donghae furrows his brows. “Since when have you been living alone?”

“A year ago. Since noona moved out.”

“And your parents?”

“Started working overseas. You know how they get with businesses.”

Donghae hums in acknowledgement. It’s strange – how they make small talk like this as if they’re simply acquaintances when he knows so much more than a mere acquaintance would about Hyukjae. He knows about how his parents have always been workaholics, unknowingly neglecting their son and daughter’s needs. He knows about how Hyukjae didn’t think there was any difference between having them here or not because in the end, they ignore him anyway. It makes him wonder how Hyukjae manages living in this huge house alone, and yet asking would mean interest, and the last thing Donghae wants is to appear even remotely interested in anything regarding the redhead.

Huh. Ironic because you already asked him things a while ago anyway.

He tries not to wince at that thought and instead brings up the project topic, the safest thing they could talk about. Hyukjae leaves for a few minutes to get the materials from his bedroom, and soon, they’re already immersed in working on the project that Donghae forgets every conflicting thought he’s been having ever since he stepped into the familiar house.

Three hours later and Hyukjae is escorting Donghae to the gates, the latter having declined the other’s timid offer of having dinner. They say awkward goodbyes and see-you-tomorrows, and as Donghae turns to walk, he feels a slight clench in his chest, the knowledge of the fact that Hyukjae doesn’t like eating alone and the thought that he’s been doing it every night for a year now making the blond clutch the straps of his backpack a little tighter than usual.

 

 

During the next few weeks, they spend the rest of their afternoons like that, Hyukjae bringing out snacks and drinks for them to share as they work on the project in the living room. Not once did Donghae ever visit other places within the house, with the exception of the toilet, and the kitchen where Hyukjae sometimes invites him to so he can choose from the wide variety of food that they can nibble on.

It’s going well – the project is at sixty percent, and most parts of it are already working properly and ready to be presented in class. The two of them aren’t so awkward anymore, choosing to engage in small talk or petty bickering when they aren’t busily working.

Hyukjae never asked him to have dinner again after the first time, and Donghae isn’t sure if he should be happy about it or not.

In fact, Donghae isn’t sure about a lot of things anymore when it comes to the redhead.

He sighs to himself as he walks through the hallways, Ryeowook and Sungmin busily chatting next to him and completely oblivious to his mood. He keeps his gaze on the ground as he ignores the fans who greet him as enthusiastically as ever. Lately, it hasn’t been difficult to ignore them as he finds himself often preoccupied with thoughts he wishes he didn’t think about.

A certain fangirl squeals and Donghae unknowingly lifts his gaze, his eyes widening a little at the sight of his supposed rival and his friends walking towards the direction where he and his own friends came from.

Kyuhyun is holding a game console and has his eyes focused on it, unaware of Sungmin who immediately diverts his gaze towards the floor. Ryeowook links their arms together and huffs, mouthing profanities towards the unsuspecting taller brunette.

Siwon is holding hands with Sooyoung, a brilliant grin on his face as he nods and greets his fans courteously, all the while whispering sweet nothings to his pretty girlfriend’s ear. Donghae meets his gaze, and the blond stiffens for a moment before returning the friendly smile.

How odd.

The first time he saw Siwon with his soulmate, Donghae truly felt hurt. It may have been just a crush, but it was a big one, and while it’s something that he would never admit to anyone until the day he dies, Donghae actually did end up like those fangirls – crying and stuffing himself with ice cream while watching a mundane tearjerker as he dealt with his feelings. He liked Siwon a lot after all. What surprised him though, is how easy it had been to get over the school’s prince. One day he’s crying, and the next, he hardly feels anything when he sees Siwon with Sooyoung.

Being surprised does not equate to being confused though, because he’s pretty sure he knows why he found it so easy to move on from his ultimate high school crush. It’s just a matter of admitting it that’s being a problem.

His eyes meet a certain jewel’s and Donghae is almost sure his breathing hitched at his throat. Hyukjae blinks and bites his lip, as if contemplating about something. The redhead seems to ponder a little, diverting his gaze for a quick second before returning it, and finally, allowing a small smile to grace his lips.

It’s a little awkward and almost shy, and Donghae immediately panics inside, choosing to go with the most natural reaction which is to glare at the redhead. Hyukjae looks shocked for a moment before he promptly narrows his eyes, the smile wiped off his lips as he scowls back at the blond. Donghae could only scoff in return before turning his gaze away.

They soon pass each other, and the moment Hyukjae is gone from his peripheral vision, Donghae lets out a shuddering breath, blinking furiously as he thinks of the wild thumping in his chest the moment Hyukjae smiled at him.

 

 

Hyukjae is annoyed.

He’s handling the ball a little rougher than usual, his moves brash and uncoordinated as opposed to his usual grace, and there is a permanent scowl plastered on his lips. It’s just practice, but he keeps on making fouls left and right, unable to cooperate with his teammates or listen to the coach’s frustrated shouts.

Knocking away one of the opposing team’s members with his elbow, Hyukjae dribbles towards the other side of the court, ignoring the shrill, disapproving whistles coming from the referee and the coach’s adamant yell for him to stop. His shoes skid noisily across the polished floors, and he turns, arms raised, before sending the ball shooting through the ring.

“That’s it, Lee Hyukjae! Get out of the court!”

Huffing to himself, he runs a hand through his damp red locks, shoulders slumping in defeat. He trudges towards the bench, his eyes on the ground as he accepts the coach’s lecture and punishments.

“You okay, man?” Siwon asks as the redhead begins his twenty push-ups. “You looked pretty tense out there.”

Whose fault do you think it is?

He winces internally at the venom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter