Chapter 17

Inked
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“None of you are still going to speak about this matter?” the principal of the school repeats for the third time as he paces back and forth in front of four male students standing in a row, inside his personal office. “For goodness’ sake. Just tell me what you know. Anything!”

“How many times have we told you, Sir, there is nothing to tell,” Sungmin speaks resolutely, face scrunched up in blatant irritation. “If there was anything, we would’ve spoken about it the moment you first asked. But there isn’t.”

“Lies,” the principal hisses, stopping in front of Sungmin and pointing an accusing finger at the blond student’s face. “I would believe those words if they came from these other three, but you? You are in big trouble, Lee Sungmin. You just do not know it yet. And the moment we’re done here, I’d like these three to leave so I can discuss something with you one on one.”

“Sure thing, Sir,” Sungmin mutters, almost as if bored.

Kyuhyun is not sure if he should applaud the older boy’s courage to speak that way to the principal, or if he should be worried because the blond boy is in serious trouble and yet he doesn’t seem to have a clue.

He was too late.

When he received the phone call from Jungsoo, he was already at school and was being summoned to the principal’s office, along with Siwon, Sungmin and Ryeowook.

He did not need to know more details about Jungsoo’s request though, as he was pretty sure he had an idea who the Lee Sungmin the elder was talking about.

“For the last time,” the principal states, an impatient edge in his voice as he walks away from Sungmin’s rigid frame. “Tell me. What do you guys know about Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae’s disappearance?”

“Sir, I’m really sorry if I’m about to sound rude here,” Siwon speaks up. “But as Sungmin-ssi has already pointed out, if we knew anything, we would have told you already.”

Kyuhyun wants to snort out loud. It’s impressive how all four of them are resolute about not telling the truth, despite the fact that they all obviously know something. What makes it more amazing is that they did not talk about this at all. They had no time to discuss what they’re supposed to say when they were unexpectedly called to the principal’s office.

Sure, it’s true that he never really heard from Hyukjae before the older boy disappeared, but he already has a fine guess about his current whereabouts. And while Siwon, Sungmin and Ryeowook may not know as well, it’s impressive that they are not spilling what they know about Hyukjae and Donghae becoming a couple, just a week and a half before their disappearance.

Ah, true friendship. How nice.

“Choi Siwon,” the principal says, stopping in front of the tall basketball team captain. “I want to trust you. I really do. You have been nothing but an exemplary student for the past three years. However, it is difficult for me to believe that you know nothing of Lee Hyukjae’s current whereabouts, or his situation. You two have been friends since freshman year. It is unbelievable that he would not tell you anything. If not his whereabouts, then what about his relationship with Lee Donghae? I don’t think it’s possible that you know nothing about it too when, before they disappeared, rumors have been spreading that they were actually together, in that sense.”

“Sir, I really don’t know—”

“Bull!” the principal shouts, and it effectively halts Siwon’s speech. “Look here, boys, I don’t want to make this hard for any of you. Please, just tell me what you know. If you don’t know where they are, fine. But tell me the truth about their relationship. I have been looking through our records and it shows that they came from the same middle school. Did any of you know that?”

“I knew about it,” Sungmin speaks, and Kyuhyun has to hide his surprise.

Is he going to spill?

“Oh finally, Lee Sungmin,” the principal walks over to him. “Do tell. What do you know about them coming from the same middle school?”

“Not much, to be honest,” the blond boy shrugs. “When Donghae and I became friends in freshman year, I found out that he hated Lee Hyukjae. Apparently, they’ve been enemies since middle school or something. But then, all of us eventually knew that they hated each other’s guts, right? They’ve been rivals since freshman year and only recently did they become friends because of their project thing.”

“And?” the principal pries. “Are you sure that they’ve only become friends after becoming partners for a project? Did Donghae not tell you anything about them dating?”

Sungmin wrinkles his nose. “That’s… impossible. He wouldn’t like Hyukjae that way at all.”

And once again, Kyuhyun wants to applaud Lee Sungmin for his marvelous act. He actually looks very convincing.

“Kim Ryeowook, do you have anything to say?” the principal then turns to the short brunet. “You were close to Lee Donghae as well.”

“Hyungnim has always been closer to Sungmin-hyung though,” Ryeowook says with a small voice. “I mean, they’re the same age. I am just their hoobae who likes to tag around. But as far as I know, Sungmin-hyung is right. Donghae-hyungnim would not go for Lee Hyukjae. He thinks Hyukjae looks like an ape.”

Kyuhyun has to bite his lip to stop himself from cackling out loud. Who knew these two would be such great actors?

“So you’re saying,” the principal breathes. “That although Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae became friends after years of rivalry, there is nothing like that between them? That they are not at all romantically linked?”

“I’m sure of that, Sir,” Ryeowook nods. “Donghae-hyung was always too focused on his studies. As you can see, he was always on top of his classes. And if he wasn’t studying, he’d be busy with extracurricular activities instead. Hyungnim was the captain of the tennis team, and was a part of the music club as well. He simply wouldn’t have time for that.”

“Alright,” the principal nods, still seemingly unconvinced, before turning away from Ryeowook and facing Kyuhyun instead. “So let’s say Lee Donghae is innocent. And his disappearance has nothing to do with Lee Hyukjae at all. Even though, they both vanished on the same day. Let’s just say it’s unrelated. I’ll pretend to believe it. But did Hyukjae harbor any special feelings for Lee Donghae? Did he tell any of you about it?”

“Um,” Kyuhyun makes a confused face. “No? I don’t remember such a thing.”

Right. Sure, you don’t.

“Siwon?” the principal turns to the taller boy.

Siwon’s eyebrows simply shoot up to his hairline as he shakes his head slowly. “I think it’s impossible. I mean, Hyukjae has never talked to me about Donghae even when they became friends. It’s probably because they’re not close? Being friends does not necessarily mean they’d immediately be close, right? If there was anything, Hyukjae would have told me or Kyu about it. That guy’s outgoing and talkative, and he tells us about his issues with his parents, how he’s sometimes lonely when they’re always away. If something important was up between him and Lee Donghae, we would have known.”

“Well, if he does not have any feelings for Donghae,” the principal continues. “Who is it then?”

“Who’s what?” Siwon asks, genuinely confused.

“Don’t tell me you don’t know as well? That Hyukjae did not get his results at the Center on his birthday?”

At that, the four boys simultaneously gasp, staring at the principal with wide eyes.

“You don’t know,” the man states, finally looking resigned. “That’s what the authorities told me. They also informed me that he returned there with his sister, but he apparently threw a tantrum, screaming and panicking and saying that he does not want his soulmate because he wants someone else.”

. Kyuhyun did not know that. Hyukjae never told them anything like that after he got together with Donghae. What the hell happened?

“I am sorry to break this to you, Siwon and Kyuhyun, but your friend is wanted,” the principal states solemnly. “He has shown blatant disrespect towards the inking and has proven it with his actions at the Center. And now he has disappeared,” he turns to look at Sungmin and Ryeowook, “And despite what the both of you say, it is not at all unlikely that he ran away with Lee Donghae.”

“Sir, I don’t think so,” Ryeowook speaks up, agitation in his voice. “I don’t know anything about Lee Hyukjae’s situation, but Donghae-hyung would never abandon his studies. It’s what he worked so hard for all these years! What if, instead of accusing him of such a thing, you actually try to find him?! You accuse us of lying, but you don’t even understand how worried we are as well. He’s our friend! If he would run away on his own accord, we would know. He would tell us. And we would stop him because we don’t want him to be in trouble like this now. But he hasn’t told us a thing! Haven’t you even considered the possibility that instead of him running away, something bad might have actually happened to him?!”

With that, the principal looks shaken, and possibly a little guilty. He sighs and runs a hand through his greying hair. “Alright. I’m sorry. I am just too stressed with everything that’s happening, especially as Donghae’s parents do not know anything about his disappearance as well—they’re begging the authorities for help. Hyukjae’s sister does not know anything either, and seems to be very distraught about her brother’s sudden disappearance. I was left with no choice but to question you guys. I might need you to testify if the authorities come here to investigate further. But for now, you’re dismissed. Except for you, Lee Sungmin.”

Kyuhyun takes a quick glance at the older blond boy, unsure whether the stoic expression means something good or bad. It’s either Sungmin has already prepared himself for this or he’s ready to own up to his mistake and surrender. Which would probably be a good thing. It would lead to less trouble for him.

At the moment, Kyuhyun can do nothing but wait.

 

 

“Lee Sungmin,” the principal states once the other three has left the room, and the said blond boy has to force himself not to roll his eyes. “You’re not in the same status as Lee Hyukjae at the moment. But do know that if you fail to tell me the truth, you might as well be.”

“Okay,” he simply answers.

“You have been inked since the first of January. That’s more than six months ago,” the old man says. “Why haven’t you been to the Center?”

“Well,” Sungmin utters, biting his lower lip and casting his gaze to the floor. “It’s embarrassing, and you probably won’t believe me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter