Chapter 10

Inked
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Not proofread oops sawrry~

 

 

After such an eventful weekend, going back to school feels like a difficult and unwanted chore. It feels like the least of his concerns at the moment, despite the logical side of his mind telling him of the things he needs to take care of at school—his grades, his future, his responsibilities. It’s almost as if none of them matters anymore and Donghae wants nothing but to stay curled up against Hyukjae, laughing, teasing, kissing, talking about everything and nothing all at once.

But such is life, and Donghae knows that people don’t get what they want most of the time. That it isn’t possible to live in a dream, because it’s nothing but a fleeting moment, and the next thing you know, reality will abruptly pull you back into its harshness with its sharp claws.

To Donghae, that weekend spent with smiles and laughter, hugs and kisses was a dream. And now he is forced to wake up from it because it’s Monday and his parents and conscience wouldn’t let him ditch school.

And well, it’s not like Hyukjae can skip classes either.

He sighs and purses his lips, adjusting the straps of his backpack over his shoulders as he trudges into the school gates. As always, he is greeted by cheerful smiles and coos of adoration from his fans, and for once, Donghae does not feel burdened to return a smile or two.

He is grateful for these people.

Because even though they knew nothing of his history with Hyukjae, and even though they only really liked them because they were eye candies, if it wasn’t for them, that dream-like weekend wouldn’t have happened.

School is like harsh reality waking him up from his dream, but the people in it were the angels who sent him to that dream anyway.

He enters the locker room, a small smile still adorning his lips as he walks to his personal locker and opens it. He picks out the books and notes that he would need for today’s schedule, a low hum rumbling from his throat.

School may not be the place where he wishes to be at the moment, but it doesn’t mean that he’s in a bad mood.

He’s ecstatic, actually.

It just doesn’t show on his face because he’s good at masking his emotions like that.

“Well, if it isn’t lover boy.”

A familiar voice croons from behind him, and Donghae could only roll his eyes as his grin widens. “Good morning to you too, Sungmin.”

The platinum blond snickers cheekily as he steps towards his own locker, located two doors to the left of Donghae’s. “You look very… blooming today.”

“Shut up,” says the golden blond, sending him a half-hearted glare although the smile still remains etched on his face. “You make me regret telling you.”

“Well it’s too bad you can’t take it back anymore,” Sungmin says, a bubble of laughter escaping his lips. “So? I think you owe Ryeowookie and I some stories.”

“I don’t owe the two of you anything.”

“Of course you do. If it wasn’t for our pep talk, you’d still be at home sobbing and angrily cussing at a phone number,” Sungmin snorts, easily catching with one hand the piece of crumpled paper tossed at him. “You should at least tell us all the juicy details.”

“There are no juicy details!” Donghae says indignantly, embarrassment creeping up on him as he feels his face growing hot at the memory of their kisses.

Sungmin stares at him and a mischievous glint forms in his eyes. “O-ho! Look at you, blushing and all! I never thought I’d see the day! That’s quite a nice color on you.”

“ off!” Donghae laughs and continues to rummage the insides of his locker, half-hiding his face in it pretending to be busy even though he’s already done preparing the things he needs for the day. He waits for the blush to subside as Sungmin cackles at his embarrassed state.

The platinum blond closes his locker with a small thud before approaching Donghae and poking him playfully on the shoulder. “I am still expecting a full, detailed recounting of what happened okay? Your lover boy’s here now. See you in class.”

Blinking confusedly, Donghae stares at Sungmin’s retreating form before he jolts in surprise at the light tap on his other shoulder. He turns and his eyes widen a little at the sight of Hyukjae smiling timidly at him.

“Hi? Good morning.”

“Good – Good morning,” Donghae greets back.

They stand there a little awkwardly, which is completely strange considering how they acted with each other the past weekend. Other students are passing by, some whispering while sneaking glances at the two of them, and Donghae isn’t so sure how he’s supposed to act—how they’re supposed to act with each other when they’re suddenly in the spotlight like this.

“Um, so,” Donghae starts, smiling sheepishly as he brings a hand to his nape and avoids Hyukjae’s eyes. “We – We kinda forgot to talk about how we’re supposed to – I mean… well. People keep on looking at us.”

“I know,” Hyukjae exhales, looking just as frazzled as he is as he laughs nervously. “Should we – uh – do we have to… you know, say anything? About us, I mean?”

“It’s not like we’re obligated to tell them,” Donghae murmurs softly, meeting the redhead’s gaze as he tilts his head thoughtfully. “Right? ‘Cause if they find out, it’ll get a little…”

“Controversial,” Hyukjae finishes for him.

“Pretty much,” Donghae agrees.

“Okay,” Hyukjae breathes, looking more relaxed now. “It’s a secret then?”

“Sungmin and Ryeowook know though.”

“So does Kyuhyun. Siwon might find out soon enough.”

“Oh,” Donghae blinks and pauses for a while before nodding. “Alright. Though, does he know? About us, I mean? Before the previous weekend?”

“Not really,” Hyukjae shakes his head, grimacing. “He’s in for a surprise.”

“Good luck with that,” Donghae laughs, turning to his locker and shutting it close, making sure he locked it properly. “What’s your first class?”

Hyukjae hums as the two of them fall into step together, walking side by side out of the locker room. “English. I think I should give you a copy of my schedule now. I want a copy of yours too.”

“Tch. Stalker,” Donghae smirks, while Hyukjae makes a face at him.

“As if you didn’t want to know my schedule.”

“What if I don’t?”

“You wish you didn’t,” Hyukjae sticks out his tongue. “Anyway. Should we eat lunch together?”

“That’d be suspicious.”

“Then are you coming over after class?” the redhead then asks before grinning cheekily. “You know, science project.”

Donghae snorts and shakes his head. “You just want to kiss me. Stop making excuses.”

Spluttering, Hyukjae turns to him with wide eyes and pinking cheeks. “D-Don’t say it like that so bluntly!”

“Isn’t it true though?” Donghae returns his gaze, blinking innocently before allowing his lips to downturn into a small pout. “Or are you telling me you don’t want to?”

“O-Of course I want to!” Hyukjae whines, his ears beet red and his hands flying to cover half of his face. “Don’t make that face.”

“What’s wrong with my face?”

Peeking from a gap between his fingers, Hyukjae sends him a small glare as he mutters, “You make me want to kiss you right here.”

Laughing, Donghae pushes him by the shoulder, hiding his embarrassment as he half-whines. “Ah, shut up and just go to your class! I need to stop by the library to borrow a book for History.”

“Okay,” Hyukjae says, pulling his hands down and smiling at Donghae. He looks around tentatively, making sure no one is around before grabbing Donghae’s hand and squeezing it lightly. “I’ll see you later?”

The younger squeezes back and smiles. “Okay.”

 

 

He walks through the History section of the library, eyes flitting over various book titles arranged neatly in alphabetical order. As he bends down to retrieve a book about the ancient ages of the non-inking days, he hears a hushed whisper of his name from the other aisle.

Donghae looks up, eyebrows slightly raised in mild curiosity as he straightens up, thick, hardbound book in hand.

“You know I heard they went out on a date last Saturday,” the soft voice of a girl echoes in a quiet murmur that wouldn’t have been heard if it wasn’t for the silence provided by the library. “They went to see a movie, I think?”

“Yeah, that’s right,” another girl says, her voice equally quiet but still rather audible from Donghae’s position from his aisle. “Some girls from our club went to form their own club dedicated to them as a couple. Then th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter