BTBT4

Shots Off Taengent: Professor T

“Hey, Tae.”

Taeyeon pushed off the wall she was leaning on and tossed a chin jerk at Melody. “Hey.”

“What do you want to say to me? Make it short. I’m almost late for acting class.”

Taeyeon held out the ticket. “I’m returning this to you.”

“Why?”

“If I go, it’s basically saying I’m interested in dating you.”

“And you’re not?”

Taeyeon shook her head.

“I see.”

“Your ticket.” Taeyeon held it up for Melody to take. For a moment, it looked as though Melody wasn’t going to take it, but she did and Taeyeon dropped her hand. “You’re cool.”

Melody pulled a side-grin and flipped her hair. “You’ll regret not going with me, one day.”

Taeyeon responded with a one-sided smile. “Maybe.”

“See you around, Tae.”

Taeyeon raised a hand and waved. Then she turned around, stuck her hands in her pockets, and sauntered away.

=

At the sound of the bell, Taeyeon stood with her backpack and strode to Tiffany’s table. She rapped her knuckles on it when Tiffany didn’t look up.

“It’s after school now.”

“But I haven’t completed—”

Taeyeon took the pen from Tiffany’s hand, closed the book she was writing in and walked out of the class in full view of Mr Park and her classmates. More than half of the class exploded into cheers and whistles while a few looked on in confusion.

“What was that about?” they asked the ones who were cheering as Tiffany dashed out after zipping up her backpack.

“That was Taeyeon being Taeyeon.”

“But why did she take Tiffany’s book? What’s going on?”

“Isn’t it obvious?”

“No . . .?”

“It means Taeyeon likes Tiffany, .”

“Oh . . .”

Meanwhile, Hyoyeon was shaking her head at the back. Her friend was officially whipped. In no less than a week too.

=

“Hey, wait up!”

Taeyeon slowed her footsteps and allowed Tiffany to catch up. “Slowpoke,” she said when the girl finally reached her side and returned the book and pen to her.

“You’re so mean.”

Taeyeon simply grinned. “You’re cute when you’re flustered.”

“What did you say?”

“I said you’re cute.”

“When I’m flustered.”

Taeyeon shrugged. “In general.”

Tiffany pulled a little smile. “Does that mean all the time?”

“Not all the time.”

“When am I not cute?”

“Right now.”

“What? Why?”

“Because you’re not letting me hold your hand.”

Tiffany looked down and saw Taeyeon’s hand attempting to hold hers. She giggled and finished the job for her. “There. Am I cute now?”

Taeyeon flashed a wide grin. “Very.”

Tiffany smiled like she had just won a million movie tickets. “I think you’re cute too.”

“What the heck?” Taeyeon shook her head. “I’m not cute.”

“Oh, you are.”

“You’re wrong about that.”

Tiffany simply giggled. “So what movie are we watching?”

“What do you like? Action? Romance? Comedy?”

“Mmm, romance.”

“I knew it.” Taeyeon snapped her fingers. “I got you covered,” she said, and led Tiffany to the gate to the ticket counter instead of joining the queue.

“What’s going on?” Tiffany asked. “What—”

The door opened and Taeyeon pulled her in.

“So this is Tiffany.” The young man who opened the door for them grinned at Tiffany. “I can see why you like her.”

“You’re wrong.”

“Hey, I haven’t even said why yet.”

“I know what you’re thinking.”

“Maybe you’re wrong.”

“Cut the crap and get us the tickets.”

“Is this how you talk to the giver of your free tickets?”

“My tickets, please.”

The young man grinned. “That’s more like it. Just a minute.” He turned to the computer, tapped a few times, swiped his staff card and the machine next to it spat two tickets. “Here you go. Have fun and don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”

Taeyeon grinned. “Don’t count on it. Thanks, bro.”

Tiffany bowed. “Thank you!”

“You’re very welcome, Tiffany.”

They exited and Taeyeon led the way to the snack queue. It moved quickly and soon they were armed with a tub of popcorn and two drinks. Entry was smooth and it didn’t take them long to find their seats—near the back, smack in the centre.

“These are great seats,” Tiffany said to Taeyeon after settling down.

“Ji knows I’ll beat him up if the seats aren’t good enough.”

“Ji?”

“He’s my brother.”

“Oh! So that’s why you look a bit like him.”

“We have our parents’ best features,” Taeyeon replied, beaming proudly.

“You’re cute,” Tiffany said with a giggle.

“Whatever.”

=

The movie was just fine. What wasn’t fine was how Tiffany’s hand kept brushing against hers each time she reached for popcorn. Was it deliberate or innocent?

About half way through the movie, Taeyeon decided it was time to make a move. Stretching her arm across Tiffany’s shoulders, she shifted closer and made herself comfortable. She could feel Tiffany’s eyes on her but she stared straight ahead, making a show of chewing the popcorn as her heart thumped hard inside. After a moment, Tiffany shifted closer too. A balloon of elation inflated in her chest and Taeyeon smirked. It was a success.

=

Taeyeon didn’t hesitate to take Tiffany’s hand as they walked out of the theatre. She grinned when Tiffany locked fingers with her and held tight. Things were going well.

“Are you hungry?”

Tiffany shook her head. “I ate a lot of popcorn.”

“Oh, you realized? You practically cleaned out the tub by yourself.”

Tiffany smacked Taeyeon’s arm as she giggled. “Don’t make me sound like a pig.”

“Don’t delude yourself, Tif. Just admit it. You can probably stomach some more food right now.”

Sticking her tongue out at Taeyeon, Tiffany made a silly face. “You’re just jealous.”

Taeyeon snorted. “Jealous? Of?”

“Jealous of how I stay in shape even after eating a lot.”

Taeyeon barked a long laugh. “Good try.”

“So where are we going next?”

“Is there anything you want to see or do? You’re the foreigner here.”

“Mmm, I’d like to listen to you sing and play the guitar.”

“I don’t have my guitar right now, but we can go to a noraebang if you want to sing. Did you bring clothes for changing?”

Tiffany nodded.

“Great. We’ll change before going there.”

=

Tiffany clapped hard after Taeyeon sang the first song. “I love your voice. You sing really well.”

“You’re next.”

“I’m singing an English song.”

Taeyeon chuckled. “Don’t worry. I’m not going to scold you.”

Tiffany stuck her tongue out at Taeyeon, then proceeded to sing her song with all her heart and soul.

Somethin' 'bout you makes me feel like a dangerous woman

Somethin' 'bout, somethin' 'bout, somethin' 'bout you

Makes me wanna do things that I shouldn't

Somethin' 'bout, somethin' 'bout, somethin' 'bout you

All girls wanna be like that

Bad girls underneath like that

You know how I'm feeling inside

Somethin' 'bout, somethin' 'bout

All girls wanna be like that

Bad girls underneath like that

You know how I'm feeling inside

Taeyeon was staring at her when the song ended. Then she picked up the keypad and selected the next song.

You are my starlight 맘을 비춰

함께 있으면 온종일 꿈꾸는 기분

You are my starlight 행복해져

선물 같아 너란 사랑

When the song was done, Tiffany stared at Taeyeon and said nothing for a while. Then the brightest smile broke through the clouds and hit Taeyeon hard in the guts.

“Is this your way of confessing?” she asked, looking away when Taeyeon met her eyes.

“You asked me if it’s true that I only date girls on the second day but I choked on my ice cream and didn’t answer. So I’ll tell you the answer now.” With eyes steady as steel and clear as the sky on a cloudless day, Taeyeon said each word clearly over the music playing from the automated system, “I only date girls and you’re the girl I want to date.”

=