Heartbreak Hotel

Shots Off Taengent: Professor T

The seconds turn into minutes, minutes into hours and hours into days. The voices around Tiffany are muted, as though a switch somewhere had been flipped, and everything slows down into the past. Those eyes. His eyes. She remembers. Just like the first time.

If looks could kill.

Tiffany, you klutz. Great, now everyone is looking.

She burns with embarrassment as she bends her knees and lowers herself to the dirty, sticky floor of the crowded, pumped-full-of-music bar. Reaching for what’s left of the shattered wine glass, she’s about to take it by the stem when a hand stops her. She looks up. Oh, if looks could kill. These eyes seem to be able to pierce right into her insides. How different. They make her feel like she’s prey. And he’s the predator.

If glib tongues could kill.

Tiffany, you are smiling waaay too much right now.

He knows exactly what to say. Nothing too flowery. Nothing too patronizing. Just enough to get her to sit down with him. Of course, he orders her a drink. But his eyes. And now his words. Even in this noisy place, she’s able to enjoy the conversation, and she definitely likes it when she has to get really close to his ear to talk over the crowd and music. She’s getting the tingly feeling. And he’s still looking at her like she’s his prey.

If touches could kill.

Are you really gonna let this guy put his arm around you like he owns you? Barely an hour after seeing you for the first time?

His arm wraps around her neck and hangs over her shoulder, bringing her into his space where she fits snugly inside. He’s bold, and assuming, but looking up at him, she decides she likes where she is. She wants to be in his space. She wants his protection. He’s getting her out of this bar and she’s leaving with him. With the possessive arm that says she’s taken. His arm makes her feel like she belongs to him now. And he does. He’s got her now.

If kisses could kill.

This is perfect. Kiss me now. Kiss me.

She was not expecting him to go after the guy. Not like this. Not with his body screaming ‘fight me ’. It was only an accidental knock on her head. That guy hadn’t meant it. She’s up from her seat and hurries to him. Her touch seems to cool him down a little and she’s able to defuse the situation, pulling him away from the guy who is likely to give him the fight he’s asking for. They go outside. It’s cold but she’s warm inside. It was a little scary but a little romantic too. She wasn’t too sure about his feelings for her but after what happened in there, she thinks she knows. His leather jacket goes over her shoulders and wraps around her. Smiling at him, she thinks it’s the perfect night. Even if it’s drizzling. He manages to get an umbrella from someone. It keeps the rain away. And she’s walking with him when he stops suddenly.

“Tiffany.”

She looks up. He leans down. She knows. And it’s perfect.

If looks could kill.

Turn away, Tiffany. Don’t look. Don’t—

“He’s a heartbreak hotel.” She had ignored their words. It’s not true she thought. People just say things but they don’t know him. It’s a slap in the face. They were right. He doesn’t even bother to hide her. The next heartbreak sits in his arms, taking over the space that was hers. The scene hurts. But it’s his eyes. They don’t care if she’s dying inside. They don’t care. So it’s time to go. Time to check out.

If memories could kill.

Stop looking at me like that. I’m not gonna fall for it again.

Suddenly, the two men beside her aren’t enough. She doesn’t want to play the game tonight. She just wants to go home. Rejecting all three with a smile, she turns and leaves to find a quiet corner.

“Taengoo, where are you right now?” she asks the moment her call is answered.

“Driving around. I just entered Gangnam. Something wrong?”

Tiffany smiles at the concern in her flatmate’s voice. It warms her up, head to toes. “Nothing’s wrong. I just really feel like going home. Come pick me up?”

“Be right there.”

She doesn’t have long to wait. Arms hugging herself, she stands on the sidewalk and within minutes, that all familiar license plate appears. 0309. She hops onto the Mercedes.

“Take me home, Taengoo.”

Taengoo’s all familiar lip tilt makes her feel like she’s already gone home. “We’re going home.”

Yeah, we’re going home.

=

CkeUgcVWUAAXPTz[1]