A Burglar?

Immortal Sarang

Jonghyun continued to stare at his phone after another 10 seconds. His gripped his phone tightly, waiting for his phone to vibrate or ring or something. The four other SHINee members glanced strangely at each other and back at Jonghyun, who was still starring at his phone. Taemin quietly nudged Jonghyun's arm. 

"Jonghyun hyung, eat your dinner. Key umma is going to get angry," Taemin whispered. Key closed his eyes tightly and silently clenched his fist.

"I heard that," Key grumbled.

"Yeah, sure, hold up. 5 more minutes," Jonghyun said, holding up five fingers. His eyes were practically glued to his cellphone screen. It was like Kyuhyun being glued to his games. Onew sighed.

"Give me the phone Jonghyun–"

"NO!" Jonghyun snapped, turning his upper waist and clenching the phone closer to his chest. Onew sighed and opened his palm across the table.

"These are orders from your leader, Jjong–"

"No! Just wait! A message will come any minute now!" Jonghyun exclaimed.

"That's what you said 20 minutes ago! Give up already! IU's probably busy with work! She would probably have to wait until tomorrow to reply to your text. Who knows, maybe her manager took her phone away," Minho suggested.

"Why is Jonghyun hyung so anxious to get a reply from IU-ssi? Didn't he already of Se Kyung noona?" Taemin asked innocently. Key patted Taemin's head like a dog.

"That's because Jjong hyung here is a player. Don't learn from Jjong," Key said in a motherly tone. Taemin smiled.

"Neh Umma!" Taemin teased with a childish grin. Key frowned as he quickly shoved his food in his mouth, stuffing himself. Onew rolled his eyes and looked back at Jonghyun.

"C'mon, Jonghyun. You haven't even touched your food yet," Onew said. Jonghyun quickly grabbed his fork, touched his dinner using the fork, and placed the fork by the side.

"There, I touched it. Now leave me alone!" Jonghyun muttered. Onew rolled his eyes, as Minho chuckled.

"You got to admit, that was pretty funny," Minho laughed. Onew glared at Minho.

"I don't see you trying to get Jjong away from that phone," Onew snapped. Minho smirked and leaned near against Jonghyun.

"Hey, Jjong," Minho whispered.

"What?" Jonghyun replied in an annoyed tone.

"If you don't finish your dinner, Cookie Monster will come and eat you, thinking you're a cookie," Minho said in a spooky tone. Jonghyun rolled his eyes and laughed it off.

"Puh-lease. You're supposed to say those things to Taemin. See? Now he's as pale as wait," Jonghyun said, gesturing his shoulder towards Taemin's direction. Taemin was as pale as white. He was listening to their conversation and heard what Minho had said clearly. Taemin slowly glanced at his plate, starring at his meal. He slowly gulped.

"I knew ghosts were real!" he whispered. Onew rolled his eyes and pushed Minho's arm.

"See what you did to Taemin? You totally freaked him out! You're not helping at all! Get out of here," Onew grumbled, glaring at Minho. Minho rolled his eyes.

"At least I tried," Minho mumbled, keeping himself busy with eating dinner. Key sighed and turned to Jonghyun.

"Listen, I can try asking Seulong, even though I barely know him, to tell us where IU lives. Maybe we can visit there–"

"Really Key?! We really can? Seriously?! Oh my gosh, thanks! I'll finish your dinner! Jalmukesumneda!" Jonghyun said happily, digging into his meal. Onew, Minho, Key, and Taemin stared at Jonghyun with wide eyes. Onew leaned closely to Key.

"Do you even know Seulong?" Onew whispered. Key shrugged.

"Not really. I'll find out somehow," Key whispered back.


"Wow, that felt good!" IU exclaimed, stretching her arms in the air. She had just came back from taking a shower, and boy was she relaxed and refreshed! She checked her alarm clock, which read 10:00 P.M. Aw, Jonghyun oppa's probably sleeping. I can't text him at this hour. Besides, I don't even have my phone and I'm already tired, IU thought, yawning tiredly. 

"Good night, Ji Eun!" her mother and father chorused from their bedroom. IU smiled and opened her door.

"Good night Umma and Appa!" IU replied, as she closed her door again. When she turned around, she yelped loudly, shocked to see a man in her room. He was wearing dark and thick clothes, like a black sweater and black sweatpants. His face was covered with his hood from his sweater. IU quaked with fear. Who is he? A burglar? IU thought, trying to breath. She was too scared to breath. Something caught her breath, as if it didn't want her to scream for help. The mysterious man smirked and slowly removed his hood. IU widened her eyes in shock when the man revealed his face.

"J-J-Jonghyun oppa?" IU exclaimed.

"Yo! I thought you'd be asleep, but I guess not," Jonghyun greeted, "Sorry if I looked like a robber or something. I wanted to surprise you, which I guess worked." IU giggled and hugged Jonghyun. 

"Sorry I couldn't reply to your text! My manager took away my phone. He forgot to give back my phone. Ugh, Wooyoung probably left a lot of texts. Possibly even Yoseob did, too. That's going to cost some money," IU sighed deeply. Jonghyun felt a bit guilty. He also sent IU a couple of messages earlier since he was worried and IU never replied. 

"Is that right?" Jonghyun asked, faking a laugh. IU shrugged.

"Hopefully none of them left a message. Anyways, what brings you here? Actually, first of all, how'd you come to my rom?" IU asked curiously, tilting her head a bit. Jonghyun smiled.

"Key brought me here. He said we should've used the front door, but I secretly back to the back just in case there were paparazzi  and all," Jonghuyn explained with a loose smile. IU giggled.

"How's Se Kyung? Lately, I haven't heard any news between you two," IU said, her lips slightly pouting. She was a bit upset to bring such a subject out, but it just slipped from her lips. Jonghyun felt uneasy about the topic, but answered anyways.

"Er… We haven't really met each other. You see, we, how do you explain… contact each other my phone. I have to go to Paris soon, so we were busy and all," Jonghyun mumbled, fidgeting with his words. He took a deep breath and smiled at IU. "So how have you been doing?" IU frowned.

"Not even video chat?" IU asked, completely ignoring Jonghyun's question. "Jonghyun oppa, Se Kyung might be worried about you. You should, well, contact her or something. Not by phone, but in person or something. I mean, you still are in Korea. Take her to a final date or something." Jonghyun sighed.

"Alright, I will. Anyways, why did you quit Immortal Song 2?" Jonghyun asked, pouting sadly like a puppy.

"Oh, I was busy," IU answered simply with a simple shrug. Jonghyun didn't like that question.

"No, seriously, why?" he asked. IU stood silent for a minute. She took a deep, uneasy breath.

"Well, I was busy, but I think it was because of… No, it was also because of you and Yoseob," IU said truthfully. Jonghyun jumped, surprised with IU's answer.

"Why me? What did I do? How about Yoseob? What did he do to you?" Jonghyun asked. I'm going to kill Yoseob the next time we meet, Jonghyun thought.

"Well… I was afraid that fans from before might be angry with me about being close to Yoseob again or being on the same show with him. Whenever I'm with him, he reminds me of the memory of dancing with him on stage in the past," IU confessed. Jonghyun nodded, remembering a bit about IU dancing with Yoseob in Music Bank. "And now we're going to talk about you. I'm afraid that I'm going to fall in love with you, and I'm afraid that you're going to love me even deeper even though you're with Se Kyung." Jonghyun froze, clenching is fist. 

"So you're doing this for my sake?" Jonghyun asked in a hoarse tone.

"I guess you can say it like that," IU sighed, shrugging.

"Look, IU, I… You can join Immortal Song 2 again. I won't chase you or anything," said Jonghyun. IU shook her head.

"No, I was the one who didn't really want to do Immortal Song 2. I was a guest in the beginning ever since I sighed the contract," IU replied, forcing a smile. The atmosphere grew awkward as silence filled their conversation. I knew it, thought IU, I shouldn't have mentioned Jonghyun oppa. I should've only said that I agreed to do it for one episode and that I'm busy.

"Alright," Jonghyun spoke up. IU looked up at him.

"Huh?" she asked, confused.

"Wait for me until I come back from Pairs. Please?" he asked.

"W-what are you talking about?" IU stuttered. "You should be saying those things to Se Kyung."

"No, I don't think I should," Jonghyun said. IU raised an eyebrow.

"Jonghyun oppa, what are you planning to do?" IU asked, crossing her arm. Jonghyun just smiled.

"Oh, nothing! Just wait for me until I come back. Arraso?" Jonghyun asked, sticking up his pinky. IU glanced at the pinky and back at Jonghyun's soft, warm brown eye. She sighed and gave in, as she locked her pinky with his.

"Arraso, I'll wait. I'll only wait until you come back from Paris! Arraso? I don't know what you want or what you're going to do, but I'm going to wait. Just please don't do something that will hurt others," IU pleaded. Jonghyun looked at IU uneasily.

"I'll try," he replied, jumping off the window.