The Competition and The Dinner

Exo High School Host Club

 

After the strange events in the morning, Kyungsoo didn’t really care about the dinner. Sure, if he could he would try, but his mind was still on how girls could walk through walls. Could physics explain it? His nerd mind wondered. Probably. Though it would probably be so unlikely as to be impossible.

 

At lunch, he changed from his fancy school uniform (he had just about been able to afford it, but it was looking a bit tatty now seeing as he’d been using it for so long).  He entered the host club, half expecting some kind of explosion or something. Instead, it was unusually quiet. Only Suho was similing at him, and slightly behind him, was a really, really beautiful dress.

 

‘Where’s the others?’ Kyungsoo asked as he went up to fondle (yes, that’s how amazing it was) the dress.

‘I think they forgot. Apart from the ‘twins’ they’re busy doing each other’s hair with more gel than Jedward get through in a month. When I asked Jongin what he was going to wear, he stopped, looked confused, looked horrified, and then ran out of the room on his phone.’

‘And this is for me?’ Kyungsoo pointed to the dress.

‘Yes. I figured you would only wear the same tatty dress, so I bought you something more akin to the type of things the other guests will be dressed up in.’

Kyungsoo looked at the beautiful yellow and white dress Suho had given him. It wasn’t tatty. He’d only been wearing it a few days. But then again… Kyungsoo looked at the other dress. Maybe it wasn’t so good. He should really stop hanging around with these rich kids, he thought vaguely, his expectations are heightening dramatically, and he really will not be able to afford it.

Kyungsoo got dressed. ‘So, I’m assuming we’re not holding it here?’

Suho almost burst out laughing. Which basically meant, he put on a smile that actually seemed happy, not like he was going to screw someone over, or pull the head off a chicken and start dancing around summoning ghosts.

Kyungsoo thought back to Yixing.

‘Will the creepy guy be there?’

‘Oh, Yixing, the President of the Dark Arts Club? Yes. The students seem to have a strange fascination with him, it seems.’

After Kyungsoo got dressed, (the new dress was dark blue, and looked like it had been made from the sky, was as silky as his last dress but unfortunately was a bit uncomfortable around the waist. After all, he wasn’t actually a girl.)

Suho led him to the main hall. It was about as main as you can get.

The host club must be a bit more influencial than he thought, although in this school everyone was influencial.

He looked at the gold gilding on the walls, the seemingly endless space, and the giant stage, eyes wide.

‘I know.’ Suho sighed ‘We got the crappy venue this year.’

‘What? It’s much nicer than the classrooms!’

‘Our classrooms? You’re kidding. They’re absolute dumps. Did you see the cupboard we get for storage? It’s way too small, this school is so cheap. It’s not even oak.’

‘So… what are the better venues?’

‘Oh, there are three, two out of school and one inside. The best one went to the dance society again, after they won a huge prize.’

‘What prize?’

Suho shrugged ‘I don’t know. I only know they were on TV.’

Kyungsoo awed in his head at the words ‘on TV’. Not out loud. He didn’t want the ‘aww he’s such a cute peasant’ catastrophes that had flurried in last time.

Sitting down at the place which Suho guided him to, Kyungsoo realised, that far from what he thought, which was that he was going to be surrounded by his regular customers, he was surrounded by the rest of the host club.

Suho took a seat opposite him, and he was quite relieved (although he felt a bit guilty about it) that Jongin was in a diagonal – the furthest away he could have gotten.

The day went by pretty quickly – with the obvious exception that Kyungsoo was about the HOST CLUB and nothing, repeat, nothing, would make time pass slowly around them. The conversation was moving so fast and randomly that Kyungsoo only had time to think to himself why they had gone from pandas to shellfish to lamps in the space of two minutes, before they were rampaging onto phones and chocolate and jigsaw puzzle globes.

Not only that, but seeing as they were in the middle of the rest of the tables, and making such a ruckus, Kyungsoo could feel the eyes of their customers leaning to watch their interactions. Somehow, it made him more uncomfortable than when they had actually performed in front of them.

Despite all his revision, Kyungsoo was reminded with an embarrassing disgusted look from the waiter that these posh twerps had lived all their lives with five course meals, especially after he mixed his cutlery up and held his fork in his right hand, out of the simple pressure of having to remember everything at once.

Seeing as no disasters had happened yet, Kyungsoo was not surprised when Luhan stood up, tapping a crystal glass with his spoon. ‘Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the simple game we are going to play this evening. Remember, to properly enjoy this game, we require you to put away your sense of courtesy and chivalry and just remember the bare minimum of the rules.’

Sehun stood up and stared speaking whilst Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. They couldn’t even make a speech without finishing it off for one another.

‘The aim of the game is to find each of the members. Half of the members will be hiding in random places in the school, and half of the members will be merging in with you wearing masks on your mission to find them. Each of the winners get a prize, but if the host member manages to avoid being found, he gets the prize instead. The prizes vary in size depending on the member, but remember this has all been pre-planned, so there is no discrimination.’

Kris pushed on a giant trolley full of full face masks that were both intricate and ornate. Kyungsoo valued each of the masks must be at least 30 pounds. He also wondered just how much money the customers gave each time if they could afford to lavish such gifts.

The room started chattering, and Kyungsoo was pulled by Jongin. They ran up the stairs and to one of the rooms on the left.

‘Ok, people.’ Suho started ‘The people who will be hiding are Tao, Jongin, Kris and Sehun. Tao and Jongin because they are good at hiding, and Kris because his height would probably give him away immediately. Also, Sehun and Luhan would stick together if I left them together which would be way too obvious.’

Suho slotted one of the masks on Kyungsoo and himself.

‘So, we need to blend in. I’m pretty sure the people will already be running around by now, so all you have to do is just wait until it’s empty and slip back in.’

Kyungsoo saw some guys running past before Suho pushed him into the corridor. He stood a bit confused for a minute, but then started to run around.

He tried to think where Jongin would go. Chances are, he would hide somewhere far, his ego would probably make him choose one of the hardest, most obscure hiding places. Kyungsoo went to the library. After all, to blend in, you had to actually act like you were them.

He ran straight up to the library. Surprisingly, no-one was there, they seemed like they were doing the search systematically. Kyungsoo checked in the librarian’s office and underneath the desk.

Confused, he looked around. There wasn’t many other places to find someone.

He ran back downstairs. Seeing a crowd of people, he joined them.

‘We think Jongin might be in the piano room since he loves the instrument.’ A random girl started talking to him ‘Where do you think he is?’

Kyungsoo tried to pitch his voice quite high. He tried to talk with a bit of a foreign accent. ‘I think he’s in the library.’ This would at least give Jongin some more time, seeing as Kyungsoo knew he wasn’t there.

He was surprised that the girl looked at him weirdly  and grabbed his arm.

She turned off into a side room.

‘You’re Kyungsoo, right?’

Kyungsoo groaned. Seriously, someone had caught him within the first fifteen minutes. How easy was he?

‘How did you know?’

‘Well.’ The girl obviously seemed like a bit of an otaku ‘You pitched your voice a bit too high and it sounded weird. Also, I’ve never recognised a person in this school with that weird an accent.’

She squealed to herself. ‘I can’t believe it! I found someone. I really wanted Jongin… but I guess you will do!’

Kyungsoo tried to stop himself from sighing as he got led to the main room.

There, a pleased girl was already standing next to Suho.

He pulled off the mask. ‘Ha. You’ve already been found. You didn’t really get the game.’

‘So why are you here?’

‘Oh, I needed to be able to judge the game and things. I kind of had to be here. But there is one more happy customer if I get found, so I just let myself get caught.’

A girl and another girl rushed in ‘This is Kyungsoo, right?’

Suho sighed ‘No.’ He took off the girl who had made the false accusation’s mask off. ‘So you’re out of the game.’

The other girl ran away again.

Kyungsoo and Suho sat in awkward silence for a disturbing amount of time, Kyungsoo making weird conversation starters and Suho killing the conversation (probably intentionally).

They heard a muffled communal scream from at least a dozen girls. Suho smirked. ‘I hid Lay in a room just to give them a little bit of a scare. I told him to wander round after that.’

Kyungsoo thought it was a bit mean. He looked at his watch. Forty minutes had passed since the start of the hunt, and the school was huge, so rooms were still being discovered.

‘I found Jongin!’ A girl ran into the room with Jongin and Suho removed her mask as well. ‘Well done, Ms. Hanamura.’

The girl seemed insanely pleased than Suho had just known her name.

‘So. Where were you hiding?’ Kyungsoo casually asked Jongin.

Jongin gave a really wide grin ‘I was sitting in the Host Room.’

Kyungsoo nearly face palmed because it was such an obvious place to hide. The only reason Jongin probably wasn’t found was because the people seemed to be going round like mobs and they would have (rightfully) assumed that Jongin wasn’t stupid enough to just sit in his usual seat in their host club room.

Evidently, Jongin was stupid enough.

Kyungsoo was perfecting his eye rolls at what Jongin was saying when they brought Kris in.

‘Who found him?’

The girls began squabbling between themselves but finally pushed a timid looking girl forward ‘She did.’

Suho took off her mask as the other girls ran on ‘Oh! You’re a regular customer of Kris’… what luck you found him!’ With his back turned, he rolled his eyes (quite poorly, for such a devious person).

‘Where was he hiding?’ Kyungsoo asked, curious.

‘I was hiding in between the shelves and the wall, in the library.’

Kyungsoo mentally hit himself. He had been there! And it made sense, with Kris the size that he was, it was the best place to hide whilst not being too obvious (i.e. behind the curtains).

Kyungsoo looked at the time again. He couldn’t really believe his eyes. It was getting up to an hour after they had started.

Just then, Suho made an announcement into the speakers ‘Time is up! Everyone, into your places.’

Just as he was finishing the sentence, a guy came in with Sehun following in tow. Sehun looked completely disinterested.

‘Isn’t hiding in the gardens not allowed?’ The customer said, and Suho shot Sehun an evil glare, while the latter just rolled his eyes perfectly (what? After you spent time trying to perfect the skill seeing someone execute it that well was… exhilarating.)

‘What? I was just having a nap… and I wouldn’t want to stay put for such a LONG amount of time doing nothing.’

Kyungsoo had to admit it was rather a genius idea, if he hadn’t been caught just in time.

When all of the customers were assembled in the hall, Luhan and Tao walked in.

‘Well done, guys.’ Jongin beamed ‘I thought that no-one would not be found.’

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened when he realised how Luhan had not been caught (what, with all the false accusations).

Luhan had cleverly dressed as a girl, after all, there was supposed to only be Kyungsoo that was a girl, and after the news that Kyungsoo had been found reached people, they automatically ruled out girls.

‘Where did you hide, Tao?’ Suho asked him.

‘Oh! Same place as Kris, except on top of the bookshelf instead of to the side.’

It was clever! Kris obviously could help lift Tao up, and with Tao being athletic, he could climb on top. It was quite high, so people wouldn’t be able to see unless they tried climbing up.

Suho smiled. ‘I have written down the names of all the people who won. I will announce the prizes next week.’

 

 

 

----

 

AN - That was pretty long... I was considering Suho announcing the prizes at the end, but it was +2k anyways. Also, I will add more stupid antics next time, I just didn't see many oppurtunities this time. Comment and subscribe! ~