Chapter 1: "Mommy!"

y Boy in Dinosaur Pajamas

It started as a peaceful day. Just like any other. I was still in bed, of course, since it was a Saturday morning. I stared up at the ceiling with my arms behind my head and embraced the warm sunlight that passed through the windows of my bedroom.

"Today feels like a great day," I said to myself. 

Then I heard a banging from the front door of the house. Really LOUD banging. I quickly shot up from my bed and looked to the window that looked out to drive way. A limo was parked in the street since it was too long to fit in the driveway.

Why the heck is there a limo here?

I then heard my mother opening the door and many footsteps pounded the floor of the living room. Hushed voices talking everywhere. 

I hurriedly rushed to the door and placed my ear to it, trying to hear what they were saying.

But I could only make out a few bits and pieces. "Jin Ae." "Come." "Grandfather." "Now."

Grandfather? Why are they talkinng about Grandpa?

Footsteps then pounded down the hallway and stopped at my door. I quickly jumped back just as the door opened. Phew. I almost got pancaked.

"Miss. Jin Ae," said a man in a fancy butler suit. I think he's the head butler. His suit is fancier than the other butlers standing outside. "I am Mr. Hwang, the head butler from the Jung household." So he is. "I was asked by your grandfather to retrieve you and bring you home. "

I laughed. "Grandfather? My grandpa died when I was 4." 

"You are mistakened Miss. That was not you grandfather. That was the father of Mrs. Nam here." And he said, looking at my mother.

"But my mom's father IS my grandfather." I said, counfused at what he was trying to say.  

"No, Miss. Your grandfather will explain eveything once you get home. Now, please, do quickly pack or I will have to ask Miss. Tessa here to pack for you. You will be living with your grandfather from now on."

I was too dumbfounded to move and that cued a young looking American women around my age to walk in and start packing my clothes. I saw my mother behind the butler, trying to get to me, and decided to walked over to her. She had tears streaming down her face as she quickly pulled me into her arms. "I knew this day was coming. B-but-. It came too fast." She sobbed into my shoulder.

"What are you talking about Mom? What do you mean you knew this day was coming? Why did that butler say that your father wasn't my grandfather?" I asked, puzzled.

"No no no," she said. "They are wrong. He was you grandfather and you will always be his one and only granddaughter. It doesn't matter what others say, in my heart, you will always be my Jin Ae, too."

My own tears began to fall. What's going on? Why is everything happening today? I thought, frustrated. Then I realized something.

"They're going to take me away."

——————

The head butler stood behind us and snapped his fingers. A few other butlers came and started pulling me away from mom. I started struggling but they only pulled even harder.

"It's time to go Miss. Your grandfather is waiting for you." 

They kept pulling until just our finger tips held us together. The butlers gave one final tug and finally managed to pull me away from my mother and dragged me to the limo. Before they shut the door, I met her eyes and screamed. "Mommy!"