Attraction

Devil's Pride

Seoul 2013 

"I think that's enough for today" Yoona breathed.

Jongin could only nod in agreement as the two collapsed on the cold wood floors. Several hours of  non stop dancing had finally taken a toll on their bodies. 

"You're an amazing dancer Kai." she continued.

"Thanks. What happened to your eye by the way? I was going to ask earlier but I forgot." he chuckled.

"It's nothing." 

"Yoona, I'm serious. You looked like you got slapped."

"I should get going. I'll see you tomo-" 

"So this is the famous Seoul academy of dance?" a voice suddenly interrupted.

Jongin and Yoona turned to see Luhan leaning against the door. He had a cunning look in his eyes.

"L-Luhan..." Yoona started.

"Your parents told me to fetch you. We have a party to attend to. Remember?" the Chinese sweetly interjected.

Yoona turned to Jongin and mouthed a apology before she made a beeline towards the exit. He saw the look of fear etched onto her face. But the thing that amused him more was the man that came to get her. Xi Luhan

He seemed like such an interesting man. Jongin thought. But he had no such time for foolish thoughts. He had a party to attend to as well.

***

"So who is this Kai?" Luhan seductively purred.

"My dance partner." she simply responded.

"He's very handsome of I say so myself." he continued.

"What do you want from me Luhan? Why are you doing this to me?" she snapped.

"What do you ever mean?" he chimed.

"Right now, I really don't see the reason for trying, or talking, or for breathing. Ballet was the only reason I would keep hanging  on to tomorrow. But what you said to me yesterday- I'm so done."

"Then maybe I should break your legs. Then could you go die?" he hissed.

Yoona was speechless. Those words slowly broke her heart. She balled up her hands into fists. No- she could not break down her infront of him. She was stronger than that.

"It's okay to be angry, but it's never okay to be cruel Luhan." Yoona replied calmly. Then she began to walk away. 

"Cruetly's part of society." Luhan countered but Yoona was already gone.

***

Yoona was devastated. Throughout her life many people have doubted her but this was the first where someone has told her she didn't belong in the world. 

"Yoona ah! Where were you?!" he mother screeched as she entered the ballroom, followed by Luhan. Her family was wealthy, living on a multi million dollar estate in an exclusive neighbourhood. Of course they wounded other estates over the country but this was their main branch,or her so called home.

"I'll go get ready."

"Why aren't you answering me?!" Mrs. Im roared.

"Why don't you ask Sehun?" 

"IM YOONA!" 

"Why do you care mother? Just go worry about Sehun like you always did. Not me." The younger Im retorted as she raced to her bedroom and slammed the door. 

"I'm sorry for Yoona's behavior Luhan. She's never like this..." 

"No need to apologize. She must be under alot of stress." he flatly replied.

"Actually Luhan... I think I'm going to cancel the entire engagement. Both of you deserve to be someone who you feel happiness and love with. Yoona's in an unstable state right now. She's been through so much this year after she was diagnosed with amneia and she's more interested in ballet than her own marriage. I really hope you don't mind." 

"I agree with you on your decision, is really the best for the both of us. I was never aware she was sick." he murmured, flabbergasted.

"Yes, but it's not serious right now. Ballet has really taken a toll on her mentally and physically." she sighed.

"Then why are you letting her continue ballet?"

"Because... It makes her so happy. If ballet was taken out of her life- I really think she would have worse cases than amneia. As a mother, I would be proud to see my Yoona on an international stage someday." she smiled.

"T-Thankyou for telling me." he faked.

"Yoona doesn't like opening up her personal life- even to family and friends. So I think it's my duty to tell you instead." Mrs. Im beamed and then excused herself to help prepare for the party.

What a foolish woman. Luhan thought as he made his way upstairs. 

***

The party has just started and Yoona was already drunk. She sipped her vodka lemonade as she was introduced to various businessmen and their wives dressed in Chanel and Burberry. 

"This is the vice director of the Marcel and Briel investment group. I heard you moved here alone to expand your family's business. Who courageous of you." Mr. Im grinned.

A handsome man chuckled as he answered,

"I think you overestimated me sir. I came to Korea so I could achieve my dream of becoming a professional ballet dancer." 

Yoona woke from her daze. She knew who this man was.

"Kai?!" she asked.

"Yoona?!" 

"Ah, so I see you two have met each other before." her father replied. 

"Well, Yoona's my new dance partner." 

Yoona uncomfortably adjusted her white BCBG gown and re tied the straps of her black Christian Laboutin sandals around her ankles.

"Well then, I'll leave you two alone." the older Im coughed as he walked towards the bar.

"You look beautiful." Jongin said softly.

"Thank you. You look handsome- as usual."

"As usual?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Well uh what I mean is uh-" she blushed.

"You're so cute noona." Jongin winked, with a hint of agyeo in his voice.

"I'm cute?" she asked abashed.

"Why don't we talk outside? Your gazebo looks absolutely magnificent." he concluded as he lightly reached for her soft hands. 

Yoona's backyard was something out of an fairy tale. The fragrance or roses and lilies gave off an romantic atmosphere and the maple trees and the grassy pathway that lead to the enourmas gazebo somehow reminded one of their childhood.

"Have you ever been bullied by people because you liked ballet?" Yoona blurted as they sat down on the wooden porch.

"I- I have. I still am. Words hurt much more than they mean to." Jongin replied as he fumbled with his tie.

"Have you been driven to the point where people told you to kill yourself because of it?" she choked.

"Not directly... What is it? Has someone told you to do that?" 

"I- I just want to be happy Kai. Ballet makes me happy and I thought all was fine. But why do I still feel sad? I feel like no one years my screams for help. What do I do?" she wept.

"Yoona I-"

"I get it if people hate me for who I am. I know that I'm weak, useless, worthless, ugly. But when people admit that to my face, it really hurts."

"Yoona-"

"Kai? Will you still be my partner? Do you still want to be dragged down to hell with me?" 

"Yoona! Listen to me! Why are you so unconfident in yourself?! he yelled as he shook her frail shoulders.

"I'm sorry."

He knew it was no use scolding her. Instead he embraced her into his arms. She felt warmth she never felt before. 

"Don't be afraid to show your true self Im Yoona." he whispered.

"Thank you Kai..."

"We'll fight and we'll make our dreams come true. Together." he winked as brushed a strand of her silky hair behind  her ear.

But Yoona never let go of his embrace after what it seemed like hours.

"You're already cheating on me?" a voice sneered behind them. 

It was Luhan. Yoona had avoided him up during the entire party but he still managed to find her.

Jongin sensed that there was accumulating tension and possesively held Yoona's thin waist.

"You must be Xi Luhan." Jongin smiled.

"And you must be?"

"Kim Jongin. I'm sure Yoona has told you about me."

"You're the vice director of the Marcel and Briel investment group from France and Yoona's dance partner aren't you?" Luhan smirked.

"Yes I am."

"I think I'll go to the dance academy now." Yoona mumbled as she slid Jongin's hands of her waist and rushed to her BMW.

"There's some great bars out in the city if you-"

"Bastard." Jongin snarled. The gentle, bubbly boy was gone. His eyes narrowed as he added,

"Don't judge people. You never know what kind if battle they're fighting in."

"Are you talking about sweet little Yoona?" Luhan challenged.

Jongin splashed the glass of champagne he was holding at Luhan's innocent face.

"Don't provoke me Xi Luhan, you'll regret it."