Expectations

New Guy

Jessica's POV: 

"What am I gonna wear?!" I ask Tiffany the day of the massive party. She's still a little bit mad at me after what I told her Monday, but she couldn't resist talking to me.

"You never have a problem choosing an outfit, just choose one," she said.

"I can't choose. I feel like I've worn every single one of these."

"Move out of the way," she shoved me. She was flipping through my racks and after a few minutes, came up with an outfit. She chose a white sleeveless crop top, black leather jeans, and silver heels. 

"Is it alright?" I asked when I walked out of my closet.

Her eyes opened wide. "You look hot!"

A few hours later...

The party was packed. Almost everyone from school was basically there. There were red solo cups scattered around, alcohol bottles everywhere, couples making out. The place was already trashed and it was still pretty early into the night. My friends and I walked to the swimming pool and grabbed ourselves a few drinks. Boys were hitting on us, and my friends were flirting right back. I'm pretty much a master at flirting also, but I never once had feelings for any of them. I looked around hoping to find another person to talk to so that I could get out of their conversation. My eyes land on Jonghyun who was standing in front of the patio awkwardly. He was wearing a navy blue henley shirt, black jeans, and lace up boots. He looked smoking! 


Jonghyun's POV:

Why the heck did I even come here? I don't know anybody. All these kids be playing some dumb music and games. I can't believe that anyone would ever enjoy doing this. 

"Jonghyun!"

I look to my left, and see Jessica walking in front of me. "Hey."

"Having fun?" 

"A lot of fun," I scoffed. 

"Oh come one, it's not that bad," she said.

"Sure. Aren't you suppose to be with your friends? I thought you didn't want them seeing us together," I asked.

"No, it doesn't matter anymore. Besides, I sat with you all week during lunch. They should be use to it by now," she claimed.

"Okay, well I guess."

"You're really not enjoying this party, huh? Let's go then, I know a place where we can go," she said.

"No it's fine, go back to your friends."

"They'll be alright without me. Let's go!" She insisted. 

I followed her all the way to the end of the backyard. There were still couples kissing, but we reached a fence. Jessica opened it, and there led a trail up a hill. 

"Come one," she ordered me.

"Are you sure you can walk up this thing with those heels?" I pointed to her shoes.

"I'm a pro, I can probably run a marathon in these."

"Alright then," I said, "how do you know about this place?"

"Kris showed me it one time. He wanted a private place to... you know," she looked down.

"Oh."

"I refused though. He was furious, but I just wasn't ready."

We walked up the hill. When we finally reached the top, we had a nice view that exhibited the highlights of Beverly Hills. 

"You look good tonight," I complimented her.

"Thank you," she giggled, "you look pretty suave yourself."

"Ha."

"I don't understand you," she said all of a sudden.

"What?"

"I mean, you're handsome, smart, and have a good sense of humor. But, you like to isolate yourself from people. Why?"

I didn't expect her to say that out of no where. I thought for a moment. "I don't fit in with your type of people. I never went to a private school nor did I ever hung out with rich kids. I kept my group of friends small."

"I thought you weren't the type to stereotype. That you don't believe there are certain social groups for everyone. Didn't you say that if a person wanted to befriend someone, that they should just go for it regardless of their situation?" 

"I do believe that. It's different with me though," I said.

"How is it any different with you?" 

"I don't know. I grew up with people whom always doubted me. They expected the worst from me, and I fulfilled their expectations well. My parents, for example, sent me to live with my brother in San Francisco because they thought that if they were far from me, that I'll do better. I got expelled and I was forced to move back with them." I answered. "It kills me whenever I let people down, so I try not to build their expectations of me too high."

Jessica was quiet for a moment. She probably didn't expect me to say that, but I didn't think she will ever ask me that kind of question. 

"We should probably walk down now," I said. I started my way down the hill. 

"Wait," she called after me. She walked down and stopped in front of me. "We aren't that different from each other. Both of our parents have expectations for us, but sometimes we come up short." She grabbed my shirt, looked at me for a second, and pulled me into a deep kiss.